• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

sharing attached sample DS-260 so candidates can have overview of the form to be filled .
Source
US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs
Consular Systems and Technology

1715569331343.png

So glad I found this Form. Great info, Thanks!

I’ve been among those who got selected for the DV2025. My CN is 2025AF00002XXX and I’m on L1 status which will be expire in OCT 2025. I also started a process of green card via work which I’m only at the begging and may take up to 2-3 years.

i went over the spreadsheet and it was such a great source(Thanks again!) but i still have some questions, so thanks for taking the time.

1. is my CN consider to be low or high ?
2. still not clear about the risk to my application if I will be traveling outside the state. Is the risk is only after submitting the AOS package? Is it apply to L?
3. should I extend my visa before starting the process? Do you think I may be able to complete the process before the visa expiring day? I know u can’t tell for sure but an estimation will help.
4. Is the fact I started a green card via work can risk the DV green card process? do I need to stop the process i started from work?

Thank you in advanced!

I’ve been among those who got selected for the DV2025. My CN is 2025AF00002XXX and I’m on L1 status which will be expire in OCT 2025. I also started a process of green card via work which I’m only at the begging and may take up to 2-3 years.

i went over the spreadsheet and it was such a great source(Thanks again!) but i still have some questions, so thanks for taking the time.

2. still not clear about the risk to my application if I will be traveling outside the state. Is the risk is only after submitting the AOS package? Is it apply to L?
3. should I extend my visa before starting the process? Do you think I may be able to complete the process before the visa expiring day? I know u can’t tell for sure but an estimation will help.
4. Is the fact I started a green card via work can risk the DV green card process? do I need to stop the process i started from work?

Thank you in advanced!
me myself is a newbie here but from what I found on this page

1, AF2XXXX looks CN to be current around the first months of FY2025 (like october november )

2, no comment I am not sure

3, if you could why not but with that low CN you would most probably complete AOS before october 2025

4, no risk ,you can have multiple concurrent AOS application at a time

Thank you in advanced!
1. CN is likely become current within the first couple of months of the FY - take a look at some of the past VBs to get a better idea.
2. In general, traveling out of the US after AOS package submission without an approved AP card will lead to AOS denial as the case would be presumed abandoned. The exception to this rule is if the applicant is on a dual intent status/visa such as H1 or L1 in this case.
3. The applicable DV FY ends in September, so you should by then if you’ll need to extend your current non-immigrant status or not.
4. Having multiple applications running simultaneously in the system is allowed. The question is precisely where are you at with the work based application?

Hi

2 questions...

1. When is it advised to do the medical examination? is it too early if I do it now?
2. I have a biometric appointment for my TPS application, will USCIS request it again for my AOS application?

Thank you so much for the amazing thread and guide. I have read it thoroughly and understand the process to a decent extent.

Here is my dilemma, I am a 2025 winner with an AS3XXX. Looks like a low CN. Already submitted my DS-260 for consular processing. The problem is my post is going to be in Montreal, Canada. Statistically, they are known to throw people into the dreaded DS5535 for no apparent reason. About 50-60% of the cases.

This has got me scared. I am seriously considering AOS instead of consular processing because if they put me in DS5535 and they don't finish before the visas run out or before the end of the FY, game over for me. Even with a low CN, they could be stubborn on doing interviews in a timely fashion.

I could also try consular processing first and see how that goes but I am not keen on it. Is this a valid concern for me to do AOS? I know you can't make that decision on my behalf but I just want to see your POV of the risk in Montreal which seems to be fairly high.

As for AOS, If I happen to be in the states, it seems like I need to wait for CN to be current (or at a minimum, Advanced Notification). While waiting, I could get the DV payment process started as that takes weeks, email KCC to transfer the file, and maybe do the medical. The question is:

1) Do I have to be in the US to pay the $330 fee to DOS for AOS? I am willing to risk that amount, pay it, have it ready then see how things go if I decide to stick out for consular processing.

2) If I emailed KCC to switch to AOS and I don't get a response, can I still file and proceed with the AOS filing?

3) If I go with consular processing, do the interview then decide to do AOS, do I need to email the post and have them transfer the file USCIS before I can file for an AOS? Can I do those concurrently?

4) Is it safe to assume that I could still get prolonged AP with USCIS?

I would appreciate your assistance.

Last edited:
Hi

2 questions...

1. When is it advised to do the medical examination? is it too early if I do it now?
2. I have a biometric appointment for my TPS application, will USCIS request it again for my AOS application?
1. Please take a look at the AOS Process Spreadsheet (the FAQ tab, and the AOS Process tab contains this information.
2. The bio for the TPS application will most likely be used for the AOS application.

Thank you so much for the amazing thread and guide. I have read it thoroughly and understand the process to a decent extent.

Here is my dilemma, I am a 2025 winner with an AS3XXX. Looks like a low CN. Already submitted my DS-260 for consular processing. The problem is my post is going to be in Montreal, Canada. Statistically, they are known to throw people into the dreaded DS5535 for no apparent reason. About 50-60% of the cases.

This has got me scared. I am seriously considering AOS instead of consular processing because if they put me in DS5535 and they don't finish before the visas run out or before the end of the FY, game over for me. Even with a low CN, they could be stubborn on doing interviews in a timely fashion.

I could also try consular processing first and see how that goes but I am not keen on it. Is this a valid concern for me to do AOS? I know you can't make that decision on my behalf but I just want to see your POV of the risk in Montreal which seems to be fairly high.

As for AOS, If I happen to be in the states, it seems like I need to wait for CN to be current (or at a minimum, Advanced Notification). While waiting, I could get the DV payment process started as that takes weeks, email KCC to transfer the file, and maybe do the medical. The question is:

1) Do I have to be in the US to pay the $330 fee to DOS for AOS? I am willing to risk that amount, pay it, have it ready then see how things go if I decide to stick out for consular processing.

2) If I emailed KCC to switch to AOS and I don't get a response, can I still file and proceed with the AOS filing?

3) If I go with consular processing, do the interview then decide to do AOS, do I need to email the post and have them transfer the file USCIS before I can file for an AOS? Can I do those concurrently?

4) Is it safe to assume that I could still get prolonged AP with USCIS?

I would appreciate your assistance.
1. AOS is intended for people already residing in the US before the decision to file for AOS was made. Entering the US on a non-dual intent NIV with a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit, which is frowned upon. However, if you declare this preconceived intent of filing AOS at the POE and you are subsequently admitted into the US following that declaration, filing for AOS after that will most likely not be considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit.
2. If a selectee who is already based in the US who previously selected the CP route decides to switch over to AOS, they may be able to proceed with processing AOS (under certain circumstances) while waiting for KCC to acknowledge their switch request.
3. You can no longer switch to AOS once you've been scheduled for a CP interview, talk less of after completing the CP interview.
4. Yes.

p.s. I recommend you take a look at the FAQ tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet, you'll find a couple more related questions/answers that may be useful to you.

1. AOS is intended for people already residing in the US before the decision to file for AOS was made. Entering the US on a non-dual intent NIV with a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit, which is frowned upon. However, if you declare this preconceived intent of filing AOS at the POE and you are subsequently admitted into the US following that declaration, filing for AOS after that will most likely not be considered a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit.
2. If a selectee who is already based in the US who previously selected the CP route decides to switch over to AOS, they may be able to proceed with processing AOS (under certain circumstances) while waiting for KCC to acknowledge their switch request.
3. You can no longer switch to AOS once you've been scheduled for a CP interview, talk less of after completing the CP interview.
4. Yes.

p.s. I recommend you take a look at the FAQ tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet, you'll find a couple more related questions/answers that may be useful to you.
Thank you! I now understand the process a little clearer. I either do AOS before CP or do CP and kiss AOS a nice good bye.

Just to confirm for number #2, if eligible for AOS (being admitted legally, be in status etc..), one could proceed with filing for AOS while waiting for KCC to acknowledge their request as long as the CN is current and the AOS package is ready to be filed. KCC action/response/2nl is irrelevant at the time of AOS filing. Correct?

Thank you! I now understand the process a little clearer. I either do AOS before CP or do CP and kiss AOS a nice good bye.

Just to confirm for number #2, if eligible for AOS (being admitted legally, be in status etc..), one could proceed with filing for AOS while waiting for KCC to acknowledge their request as long as the CN is current and the AOS package is ready to be filed. KCC action/response/2nl is irrelevant at the time of AOS filing. Correct?
Take a look at the FAQ tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet

1. Please take a look at the AOS Process Spreadsheet (the FAQ tab, and the AOS Process tab contains this information.
2. The bio for the TPS application will most likely be used for the AOS application.
So for #2, how do I prove that I had done my bio for a previous application? because if they use it, there is no need to include any checks/money orders for the bio, right? How do I make sure they won't reject my AOS package for missing the payment?

So for #2, how do I prove that I had done my bio for a previous application? because if they use it, there is no need to include any checks/money orders for the bio, right? How do I make sure they won't reject my AOS package for missing the payment?
You do not have to prove anything. You're still required to make the bio payment, regardless of if the TPS bio info gets used or not, otherwise your application would be rejected on the basis of incomplete fee.

1. CN is likely become current within the first couple of months of the FY - take a look at some of the past VBs to get a better idea.
2. In general, traveling out of the US after AOS package submission without an approved AP card will lead to AOS denial as the case would be presumed abandoned. The exception to this rule is if the applicant is on a dual intent status/visa such as H1 or L1 in this case.
3. The applicable DV FY ends in September, so you should by then if you’ll need to extend your current non-immigrant status or not.
4. Having multiple applications running simultaneously in the system is allowed. The question is precisely where are you at with the work based application?

Thanks! I've added my comment to each bullet together with additional info:

1. Thanks! I have looked and it seems to be becoming current in the 1st couple of months of the FY in the past :)
3. Thanks again. if i will need to extend my visa after initiating the AOS process will that affect the application process?
4. I'm in the "Prevailing Wage Determination" Request stage. it was submitted 2 months ago. my understanding is that it will take up to 8 -11 months until it is processed and I will be able to file the ETA Form 9089 and about 9- 11 months to complete this step. So overall I assume I will have 17- 22 months to the entire process. would you agree? ; in that case, I think going to DV/AOS Ave will be faster. I'm course to hear your opinion on this as well.

also, I'm planning to travel outside the state around Aug and return by Sep, Given that what will be the best time for me to initiate the process?
fill in DS260 /paying the DV administrative fee or any other step?

Thanks again for putting in the time and effort to assist here!

Thanks! I've added my comment to each bullet together with additional info:

1. Thanks! I have looked and it seems to be becoming current in the 1st couple of months of the FY in the past :)
3. Thanks again. if i will need to extend my visa after initiating the AOS process will that affect the application process?
4. I'm in the "Prevailing Wage Determination" Request stage. it was submitted 2 months ago. my understanding is that it will take up to 8 -11 months until it is processed and I will be able to file the ETA Form 9089 and about 9- 11 months to complete this step. So overall I assume I will have 17- 22 months to the entire process. would you agree? ; in that case, I think going to DV/AOS Ave will be faster. I'm course to hear your opinion on this as well.

also, I'm planning to travel outside the state around Aug and return by Sep, Given that what will be the best time for me to initiate the process?
fill in DS260 /paying the DV administrative fee or any other step?

Thanks again for putting in the time and effort to assist here!
3. You cannot extend your "visa" from within the US since USCIS does not issue NIV, this is done by the embassy outside of the US. You may apply for an extension of status if eligible to do so. However, like I already responded in my previous post, the 2025 FY would already be over as at the time your current status expires in 2025. So the question of a pending DV based AOS impacting an extension of status in this case is moot.
4. Basically you do not currently have an employment based AOS in the system at the moment - that is all I was trying to verify by asking at what stage the employment based petition was at.
5. I recommend you go over the AOS process spreadsheet again, and then make your own decision as to when to initiate the process based on what you now know.

3. You cannot extend your "visa" from within the US since USCIS does not issue NIV, this is done by the embassy outside of the US. You may apply for an extension of status if eligible to do so. However, like I already responded in my previous post, the 2025 FY would already be over as at the time your current status expires in 2025. So the question of a pending DV based AOS impacting an extension of status in this case is moot.
4. Basically you do not currently have an employment based AOS in the system at the moment - that is all I was trying to verify by asking at what stage the employment based petition was at.
5. I recommend you go over the AOS process spreadsheet again, and then make your own decision as to when to initiate the process based on what you now know.
Appreciate your response. Will go
Over the spreadsheet again

Sm1smom , thank you for all you do, Is it possible for the derivative to be approved but the principal applicant to be denied?

hello team ,

1,I am planing to file DS260 later around September I belive it does not matter if my CN becomes current on october 2024 because I am using AOS track , does it ? if it does , then when is the right month to file DS260 for CN becoming current on October 2024 ?

2, should I fill DS260 the sooner , ? if my case is low and immigration intent is not my consern provided 2NL is required but optional to be included in AOS application ?

3, when filling DS260 do all my dependents need to have passport ready ? my and my spouse already have one but my daughter passport is not issued yet (pending at my country immigration authority) . should I wait for my daughter passport before filling DS260 ? please note that I am doing AOS and my family is at my home country and will use FTJ once I secure Green card .

Any feedback from team members on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance. Once I secure my AOS, I vow to stick around and help newbies.

hello team ,

1,I am planing to file DS260 later around September I belive it does not matter if my CN becomes current on october 2024 because I am using AOS track , does it ? if it does , then when is the right month to file DS260 for CN becoming current on October 2024 ?

2, should I fill DS260 the sooner , ? if my case is low and immigration intent is not my consern provided 2NL is required but optional to be included in AOS application ?

3, when filling DS260 do all my dependents need to have passport ready ? my and my spouse already have one but my daughter passport is not issued yet (pending at my country immigration authority) . should I wait for my daughter passport before filling DS260 ? please note that I am doing AOS and my family is at my home country and will use FTJ once I secure Green card .

Any feedback from team members on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance. Once I secure my AOS, I vow to stick around and help newbies.
1&2. Take a look at the AOS Process Spreadsheet.
3. No, you do not have to wait for her passport to be ready. You can use your passport or your spouse’s passport info to submit your daughter’s DS260. Once you obtain her passport, you contact KCC to unlock her form and update the passport information.

1&2. Take a look at the AOS Process Spreadsheet.
3. No, you do not have to wait for her passport to be ready. You can use your passport or your spouse’s passport info to submit your daughter’s DS260. Once you obtain her passport, you contact KCC to unlock her form and update the passport information.

thank you for your explanation it was my bad to ask 1 and 2 I have review the AOS Process Spreadsheet .I must have missed it . My apologies

It was stated as

When can I submit my DS260 form?

You can submit whenever you like. KCC does not process the DS260 forms for AOSers like they do for CP. However the sooner you do, the sooner you will get your 2NL