• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Mom, over your years working with diversity visas, have you ever seen any issues following approval?

I have a new job offer and would like to commence my (lengthy) notice period at my current job, however I have heard a horror story about a green card being held up by the IO being audited. Granted, it sounds like Covid had a lot of involvement here... but I would like to err on the side of caution, whilst not jeopardizing my new job offer with an additional 2-3 weeks on top of my notice period.

Hey Folks,

I have just had my interview. The officer said she approved the case and gave me a paper titled "prior diversity visa request approved". It has not been reflected on the uscis website yet but hopefully I will see it soon! I want to use this opportunity to thank every single one of you in this forum for the help and support they provided. Special thanks to @S1smom for moderating this.

I came in early and the officer also took me earlier than the scheduled time. She first asked two different identifications. This was the only thing that threw me off a little bit. I had my passport of course. I do not drive now hence I dont have a driving license. Thankfully I have recently obtained a Real ID just in case. Didnt know it would help me.

Then the rest was simple. Verified my name, dob and address. Asked where I study. When was the last time I was admitted to the US? Then we went over some yes and no questions. Apart from IDs, the only thing she asked to see was I94. Then we are done. She said she was requesting a visa I should receive my card somewhere between 2-4 weeks.

I will also give an update when I see the online status update.

Hi Mom, I just entered my information into the spreadsheet. Compared to other cases with my FO, they received their approval within 1-3 weeks. I've completed my bio sooner than Silverwolf. Should I do something as a follow-up process? When should I consider making a request to the Congressman?
Completing the bio appointment ahead of someone else does not necessarily mean the background check will clear ahead of that person. While you might have attended your bio appointment before @Silverwolf, it does not necessarily mean your background check also cleared ahead of them accordingly. Plus if you take another look at the spreadsheet, you will see that this person actually filed as far back as 12/28/2023, while you only filed on 2/15/2024 - almost two months after this person had been waiting.

You're fortunate your FO is approving DV cases without interview, so I think you just need to exercise some patience for now.

Mom, over your years working with diversity visas, have you ever seen any issues following approval?

I have a new job offer and would like to commence my (lengthy) notice period at my current job, however I have heard a horror story about a green card being held up by the IO being audited. Granted, it sounds like Covid had a lot of involvement here... but I would like to err on the side of caution, whilst not jeopardizing my new job offer with an additional 2-3 weeks on top of my notice period.
Yep, I have. I vaguely recollect about two cases or so in similar situations from the past. One initially received the approval notice in the mail, then they subsequently received a new interview notice in place of the GC, and they had to go in for a second interview. The other one also received the approval notice initially, then in place of the GC which was supposed to show up, they received a notice indicating the case was undergoing some additional review. The good news is they both eventually ended up getting their GC in the long run. You can only imagine what would have happened to them if they had been denied and they were already out of status in addition. This is precisely why I always tell folks, as good as the CPO update or getting an approval notice is, it is really not over until you get the actual GC. So do whatever you can to continue maintaining your current status while waiting to receive the GC itself.

Hey Folks,

I have just had my interview. The officer said she approved the case and gave me a paper titled "prior diversity visa request approved". It has not been reflected on the uscis website yet but hopefully I will see it soon! I want to use this opportunity to thank every single one of you in this forum for the help and support they provided. Special thanks to @S1smom for moderating this.

I came in early and the officer also took me earlier than the scheduled time. She first asked two different identifications. This was the only thing that threw me off a little bit. I had my passport of course. I do not drive now hence I dont have a driving license. Thankfully I have recently obtained a Real ID just in case. Didnt know it would help me.

Then the rest was simple. Verified my name, dob and address. Asked where I study. When was the last time I was admitted to the US? Then we went over some yes and no questions. Apart from IDs, the only thing she asked to see was I94. Then we are done. She said she was requesting a visa I should receive my card somewhere between 2-4 weeks.

I will also give an update when I see the online status update.
Congratulations!!!

Yep, I have. I vaguely recollect about two cases or so in similar situations from the past. One initially received the approval notice in the mail, then they subsequently received a new interview notice in place of the GC, and they had to go in for a second interview. The other one also received the approval notice initially, then in place of the GC which was supposed to show up, they received a notice indicating the case was undergoing some additional review. The good news is they both eventually ended up getting their GC in the long run. You can only imagine what would have happened to them if they had been denied and they were already out of status in addition. This is precisely why I always tell folks, as good as the CPO update or getting an approval notice is, it is really not over until you get the actual GC. So do whatever you can to continue maintaining your current status while waiting to receive the GC itself.
Thank you so much for this insight; your wealth of experience is invaluable. We will take this on board. On the risk of the 0.1% best to play along and wait

Hello, I got biometrics letter from NBC. Am expecting biometrics letter (e.g. picture for GC) for my minor children (under 10 yrs) aswell ?
Appreciate your response.

Last edited:
Hi @Sm1smom just wanted to get your opinion, I sent my case on January 3rd, and got biometrics on February 1st. When would you suggest that I should contact a congressman? is it 6 months from the date I sent my case in, which would be the early June? And do people normally send the congressman a mail or email or an appointment not sure how that works? thanks a lot

Hello Everyone
My AOS is approved and I got my green card. How I should proceed my case for family, they are in overseas, when I filled out application I informed that they will go through US consulate, What is next step? what I have to do ?

Hi @Sm1smom just wanted to get your opinion, I sent my case on January 3rd, and got biometrics on February 1st. When would you suggest that I should contact a congressman? is it 6 months from the date I sent my case in, which would be the early June? And do people normally send the congressman a mail or email or an appointment not sure how that works? thanks a lot
You can initiate a congressional case inquiry assistance now. Please take a look at the AOS FAQ tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet for information on how to contact request such assistance.

Hello Everyone
My AOS is approved and I got my green card. How I should proceed my case for family, they are in overseas, when I filled out application I informed that they will go through US consulate, What is next step? what I have to do ?
You’ll need to file an I-824 to initiate the follow to join process at this point.

Hello Mom,
Firstly, I want to express my gratitude for your support and for providing us with this amazing resource I literally could have done nothing without you.
I have a few questions.
1. It has been more than 90 days or 3 months since the case was updated is that normal?
2. I need to travel in July; should I apply for an I-131 advance travel parole? Will there be enough time for processing, or should I just hope that my adjustment of the status process for the pending case gets completed before then?
3- If yes, how can I file my I-131 is it online or by mail just like how I filed my I-485 same address? Do I still need to pay the April 1 fee even though I filed my application well before that date?

I am completing the I-693 form and in Part 1 it asks for an A-number (if any) and USCIS online account (if any).

I know I haven't created an online account previously, but I did have an EAD card a few years ago, before transitioning to an E3 and now an E3D.

Is the USCIS# on my EAD card the same as an A-number?

Thank you.

Hello Mom,
Firstly, I want to express my gratitude for your support and for providing us with this amazing resource I literally could have done nothing without you.
I have a few questions.
1. It has been more than 90 days or 3 months since the case was updated is that normal?
2. I need to travel in July; should I apply for an I-131 advance travel parole? Will there be enough time for processing, or should I just hope that my adjustment of the status process for the pending case gets completed before then?
3- If yes, how can I file my I-131 is it online or by mail just like how I filed my I-485 same address? Do I still need to pay the April 1 fee even though I filed my application well before that date?
It’s hard for me to respond to your questions without some needed background information about your case. So I recommend adding your timeline to the 2024 Timeline spreadsheet which will provide us with more insights and assist with answering your questions.

I am completing the I-693 form and in Part 1 it asks for an A-number (if any) and USCIS online account (if any).

I know I haven't created an online account previously, but I did have an EAD card a few years ago, before transitioning to an E3 and now an E3D.

Is the USCIS# on my EAD card the same as an A-number?

Thank you.
Yes.