• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hello, my submission was selected in the lottery. I am currently in the US on an F-1 Visa (OPT).

My case number is AS23XXX. Is this a high CN or reasonable for Asia?

What steps do I need to take right now? Do I submit DS-260 now? Do I submit I-485 now? I heard we have until Sept 30th to submit and get approved otherwise we lose our chance?

Any recommendation for immigration attorneys in the Atlanta area with the DV AOS experience?

Thank you.
Just realized that I got my years wrong. I-485 is submitted FY2023 based on CN and we have till the end of FY2023 to get approved.

Just realized that I got my years wrong. I-485 is submitted FY2023 based on CN and we have till the end of FY2023 to get approved.
There’s a spreadsheet linked in the first post of this thread. Read it, well. It answers all your questions. Unless there is some kind of weird complication in your case, there is no need for a lawyer.

Hello,

I am a winner of the DV 2023 Lottery. I am a first-year international graduate student in the US on an F1 visa. My F1 visa duration is one year and it will expire this year on July 21 but my status will be active if I don't leave the US because it is 2 years degree program. I had a plan to visit my hometown for renewing it this summer. However, after winning the lottery, I have a hesitation to apply for a non-immigrant visa renewal. Because I think it might be rejected because of the lottery. However, I haven't submitted DS260 yet.
My question is the following: Is it risky to apply for the F1 visa renewal in this case? Does the embassy officer have an access to my lottery result if I haven't started any process yet?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
There’s a spreadsheet linked in the first post of this thread. Read it, well. It answers all your questions. Unless there is some kind of weird complication in your case, there is no need for a lawyer.
Thank you Susie. A question, I have an old J1 visa. I fulfilled the 2-year home residency requirement. However, I am missing my DS-2019 document. The sponsor doesn't have the DS-2019. I already did a FOIA request with DOS and USCIS and both came back negative. Do you think a missing DS-2019 warrants hiring a lawyer?

I know you're not a lawyer. Mainly looking for advice.

Thank you.

Hello,

I am a winner of the DV 2023 Lottery. I am a first-year international graduate student in the US on an F1 visa. My F1 visa duration is one year and it will expire this year on July 21 but my status will be active if I don't leave the US because it is 2 years degree program. I had a plan to visit my hometown for renewing it this summer. However, after winning the lottery, I have a hesitation to apply for a non-immigrant visa renewal. Because I think it might be rejected because of the lottery. However, I haven't submitted DS260 yet.
My question is the following: Is it risky to apply for the F1 visa renewal in this case? Does the embassy officer have an access to my lottery result if I haven't started any process yet?

Thanks in advance!
There have been reports in the past of selectees who applied for NIV after being selected as DV winners (prior to DS260 form submission) who were asked about their DV selection at the time of the NIV interview. So yes, the answer to your question is they CO at the embassy have access to the information.

Thank you Susie. A question, I have an old J1 visa. I fulfilled the 2-year home residency requirement. However, I am missing my DS-2019 document. The sponsor doesn't have the DS-2019. I already did a FOIA request with DOS and USCIS and both came back negative. Do you think a missing DS-2019 warrants hiring a lawyer?

I know you're not a lawyer. Mainly looking for advice.

Thank you.
AFAIK, there isn't anything a lawyer can do about a missing document.

There have been reports in the past of selectees who applied for NIV after being selected as DV winners (prior to DS260 form submission) who were asked about their DV selection at the time of the NIV interview. So yes, the answer to your question is they CO at the embassy have access to the information.
Thanks for the answer. Can this information lead to the rejection of the renewal of the F1 visa? I am asking because if there is a risk, I will continue with adjustment of status, not counseling processing, and also I will decide whether visit my country or not.

Thanks for the answer. Can this information lead to the rejection of the renewal of the F1 visa? I am asking because if there is a risk, I will continue with adjustment of status, not counseling processing, and also I will decide whether visit my country or not.
Yes, there is that possibility considering F1 visa does not allow for an immigrant intent.

You both seem doubly lucky! I recommend you both submit the DS260 forms as the main applicant and list each other (and your children as derivatives).

Based on your own selection, fill out your DS260 form indicating you plan on process AOS, same with your children as your derivative. Also list you husband as your derivative but indicate he will be processing FTJ (Follow-To-Join). This basically means should you complete the AOS process while his own selection is still pending, he will try to proceed as your derivative via CP.

Based on his selection, he fills out his own DS260 as processing CP, while you and your children gets listed as FTJ AOS. In this case, he completes CP, enters the US as a LPR before you and your kids can file as FTJ AOS. Alternatively, you and your children also select to process CP as his derivative - this means you travel back home and file CP with him based on his selection (this option will be faster than filing FTJ AOS by the way)

In the past, when DV processing progressed smoothly, AF243XX would become current and the complete processing via CP before AS241XX becomes current.

So submitting the forms and listing each other as derivatives gives you both two opportunities to complete the proces

Thank you for your detailed response
My husband and I submitted the ds -260 and I need to travel for 2 months during the summer vacation as I am working on my thesis. will I encounter any problems while entering the state for dual intent?
I wanted to apply for AP, but you said before that my case should be current to apply for it which won't be this year because I have a high number.
So, what are my options now concerning traveling out of the state?

Thank you for your detailed response
My husband and I submitted the ds -260 and I need to travel for 2 months during the summer vacation as I am working on my thesis. will I encounter any problems while entering the state for dual intent?
I wanted to apply for AP, but you said before that my case should be current to apply for it which won't be this year because I have a high number.
So, what are my options now concerning traveling out of the state?
Admission or re-admission to the US is only guaranteed to a USC, being admitted back into the US is always at the discretion of the CBP regardless of if an immigrant intent has already been demonstrated or not. There is no other option other than what you've used in the past or the first time you entered the US. You present yourself at the POE with a valid passport and applicable visa, the CBP officer asks questions as necessary with the expectation you will truthfully answer all questions asked. Don't volunteer answer to any question not asked, and don't withhold or try to suppress answer to any question asked either.

Yes, there is that possibility considering F1 visa does not allow for an immigrant intent.
Thanks a lot. Then I will start my adjustment of status process. My case number is EU97XX. Do you recommend paying the $330 administrative fee already now?

Admission or re-admission to the US is only guaranteed to a USC, being admitted back into the US is always at the discretion of the CBP regardless of if an immigrant intent has already been demonstrated or not. There is no other option other than what you've used in the past or the first time you entered the US. You present yourself at the POE with a valid passport and applicable visa, the CBP officer asks questions as necessary with the expectation you will truthfully answer all questions asked. Don't volunteer answer to any question not asked, and don't withhold or try to suppress answer to any question asked either.
You are right, thank you

Hello,
Congratulations to everyone who won this year.

My spouse won the DV 2023 and her CN is AS3XXX. I am the derivative and I have a question about my given name that appears on the DS-260 form.
I have a long first name/given name (it has four parts with spaces; e.g. XXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXX format).
So, when we filled out the DV application it missed an "A" from the last part because the entry field didn't allow us to type any more letters. My birth certificate and passport have the full name correctly. Do you think this would be a problem? If it is a problem, may I please know if there is any way to fix it?
Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Hello,
Congratulations to everyone who won this year.

My spouse won the DV 2023 and her CN is AS3XXX. I am the derivative and I have a question about my given name that appears on the DS-260 form.
I have a long first name/given name (it has four parts with spaces; e.g. XXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXX format).
So, when we filled out the DV application it missed an "A" from the last part because the entry field didn't allow us to type any more letters. My birth certificate and passport have the full name correctly. Do you think this would be a problem? If it is a problem, may I please know if there is any way to fix it?
Please let me know if you need any additional information.
That shouldn’t be a problem.

No one can tell you precisely when to make the DV Administrative Fee payment, you need to figure that out on your own, especially since you've not given any indication of what your CN range is. You however can use this note of caution already provided on the AOS Process spreadsheet to figure out when to make the payment:
IF YOU HAVE A RATHER HIGH CN, YOU MAY WANT TO WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE CERTAIN OF THE LIKELYHOOD OF YOUR CN BECOMING CURRENT BEFORE MAKING THE $330 DV ADMINISTRATIVE FEE PAYMENT OR DOING THE MEDICAL EXAM

p.s. spend some quality time and carefully go over the AOS Process spreadsheet, doing so will help you a great deal.
Hello, I sent in my payment without a SASE on 27 April. Money Order has been cashed but I have not received a receipt. Realizing that I did not add the SASE I sent an email to KCCDV@state.gov requesting an electronic copy of receipt but I got an auto reply.

In my email I provided PA name, Case number, DOB, and Address.

What options do I have under this circumstance?
Thank you

Hello, I sent in my payment without a SASE on 27 April. Money Order has been cashed but I have not received a receipt. Realizing that I did not add the SASE I sent an email to KCCDV@state.gov requesting an electronic copy of receipt but I got an auto reply.

In my email I provided PA name, Case number, DOB, and Address.

What options do I have under this circumstance?
Thank you
When did you send the email and when was the money order cashed?