• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

He entered legally as a visitor. But then applied for asylum. His refugee claim is still pending. And they didn't understand what the CO meant by adjustment of status when they arrive in the US. The rest of the family arrived late in the US (August), so am not sure if there was enough time to try AOS either. As far as I know, he has never been out of status.
Asylum status and refugee status are different. It sounds like he is has applied to be an asylee, not a refugee. Anyway he should probably talk to a lawyer to understand what the options are for his particular case. Or he can create an account here, the asylum forum seems quite informative. Third party advice with incomplete info seldom ends well.

August, maybe maybe not enough time depending on FO but it doesn’t matter now anyway.

Hello, i had my interview in the last week of October along with my 3 year old son. On 30th Sept my CEAC status changed to issued but for my son still says refused. I am planning to travel to the US immediately, how do I make an appeal for my baby to join immediately and how long does the process take, thanks.

Hello, i had my interview in the last week of October along with my 3 year old son. On 30th Sept my CEAC status changed to issued but for my son still says refused. I am planning to travel to the US immediately, how do I make an appeal for my baby to join immediately and how long does the process take, thanks.
Wait until you get back your passports first to know for certain if your son also got issued with a visa or not. If he’s indeed refused, there’s no appeal process.

Wait until you get back your passports first to know for certain if your son also got issued with a visa or not. If he’s indeed refused, there’s no appeal process.
Thanks for your response Simon, okay what if he wasn't issued epwhat process do I have to go through for him to join me immediately?

Thanks for your response Simon, okay what if he wasn't issued epwhat process do I have to go through for him to join me immediately?
Again, I suggest you wait until you get your passports back first. I don’t like spending my time providing information on a scenario that may not be applicable.

p.s. there’s nothing quick or fast when it comes to immigration processing.

Hello here thanks brit and Susie for the guidance and information you have always shares. I however have a few questions to put across
1. I was issued with a dv 2022 visa but my son was not able to be issued, is there any possibility that I can change his name if applying for a family based visa for him and spouse. (Please note that he was a derivation in my case but however wasn't granted a visa)

2. Can DS260 details used during my DV case change as I'm applying for a family based visa. Are we supposed to follow the same DV details while applying for a family based visa for my son and spouse.

Hello here thanks brit and Susie for the guidance and information you have always shares. I however have a few questions to put across
1. I was issued with a dv 2022 visa but my son was not able to be issued, is there any possibility that I can change his name if applying for a family based visa for him and spouse. (Please note that he was a derivation in my case but however wasn't granted a visa)

2. Can DS260 details used during my DV case change as I'm applying for a family based visa. Are we supposed to follow the same DV details while applying for a family based visa for my son and spouse.
Why was your minor derivative son not issued with a visa alongside with you?
1. You’ll still need to indicate all the names your son as gone by in the past for the family sponsorship process.
2. Same as 1 above. The names previously listed/used will still need to be disclosed. Any information previously provided will be referenced during future adjudication process.

As mom said, any prior information will be used.
can you be more specific - you mention your son has a spouse, is that why he could not get a DV visa, or was there another reason? Or did I misunderstand and it is your spouse, not your son’s who also needs a visa? If so why didn’t your spouse get a DV visa either?

Also maybe I’m misunderstanding but you seem to be implying changing his name will somehow be important in getting him a family based visa. If so you don’t understand how US immigration works. More details will help us answer your question better. In general changing names will make the process more complicated (birth certificates won’t match up, you need to get official proof of name change etc)

Re 2, obviously people’s details can and do change but anything you have submitted to DoS or USCIS remains on record and is referred to. Any family based application will in the first instance refer back to the original documents you provided and who you listed as family members at that time. That is part of why the DS260 (which is used for any immigrant visa) asks for a listing of any children regardless of age etc.

Last edited:
One more question please, are dv winners eligible for free health services upon entry because I am 8 months pregnant and my plan is to give birth from US

One more question please, are dv winners eligible for free health services upon entry because I am 8 months pregnant and my plan is to give birth from US
Um, generally if you want free health services the US is not the place to be, as a new immigrant, old immigrant, citizen, whatever. Some states will register you on their state version of Medicaid when you arrive. most don’t. Many things in the US depends which state you are in. You need to research the state you’re going to.

see this link for some general information including a link to a list of states that provide immediate coverage for pregnant women

Edit: free immediate coverage for being pregnant is not the same thing as generally getting free health care. Your USC kid will be covered after birth, but you’ll still need to make a plan for your own general health insurance requirements after birth, depending on state.

Have you checked which airlines will still allow you to fly if you are already 8 months pregnant?

Last edited:
Hello please I just checked my ds260 and the expiry date has changed from 30th September 2022 to 31st October 2022. Does this mean anything? Like does it still mean I could receive I interview before 31st October 2022 even though dv2022 ended in September?

Attachments

• 41B35859-0856-43E7-8A79-DE3D7258ED35.jpeg
    41B35859-0856-43E7-8A79-DE3D7258ED35.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 11
Hello please I just checked my ds260 and the expiry date has changed from 30th September 2022 to 31st October 2022. Does this mean anything? Like does it still mean I could receive I interview before 31st October 2022 even though dv2022 ended in September?
Sorry, no. The fiscal year is over, no more DV2022 diversity visas can be issued. And that would be the case even if they didn’t reach the limit of issuance, which they did.

PS the form expiration date is an internal DoS function and nothing to do with your case specifically. Any DS260 for anyone should be showing those same details.

Hello Team,
I received my visa. Thank you for Ur kind help. Can I create a USCIS account before I travel to the USA? Please tell me the next step on my journey.
Thank you.

Why do you need an i131? The frequent and brief in and outs would likely get you questioned. If you’ll be done in September 2023, why not just come in December to activate then return September? Or come this weekend and return in September, tighter but still fine.

They’re not going to pull your visa. As for going over cap, it’s been done before though not sure if that was just the then 50k cap. Regardless. They’re not going to pull your visa.
thank you so much

My friend and his wife were among the DV2022 winners. Their interview is in Nairobi, Kenya, on September 12, 2022. After the interview, the CO congratulated him and his wife on their visa and took their passport to stamp the visa. Their country of chargeability is Somalia, and the US government does not stamp visas on Somalia's passports. Hence, the embassy printed the visa on paper and gave it to the applicants. On September 20, the embassy sent an email saying PoE Waiver for DV Applicants. The embassy needs them to submit the completed file before September 26 in order for them to process it before September 30. The applicants sent the completed document on September 20 and submitted it. The embassy received the form, acknowledged it, and started to print the visa. The applicants were waiting till September 30. On October 3, 2022, the embassy sent another email saying that they had run out of visas and did not have any visas left, but the question is,
1. Can they do that to an applicant who has already received the congratulations and received his A number, and the only thing left to do is print the visa?
2. After the applicants get the interview and succeed, does the embassy not reserve that visa?
3. What is the next step in this? Is there another way to deal with it, or is the decision final?
Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-23 at 11.17.17 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-10-06 at 9.08.10 AM.jpeg

My friend and his wife were among the DV2022 winners. Their interview is in Nairobi, Kenya, on September 12, 2022. After the interview, the CO congratulated him and his wife on their visa and took their passport to stamp the visa. Their country of chargeability is Somalia, and the US government does not stamp visas on Somalia's passports. Hence, the embassy printed the visa on paper and gave it to the applicants. On September 20, the embassy sent an email saying PoE Waiver for DV Applicants. The embassy needs them to submit the completed file before September 26 in order for them to process it before September 30. The applicants sent the completed document on September 20 and submitted it. The embassy received the form, acknowledged it, and started to print the visa. The applicants were waiting till September 30. On October 3, 2022, the embassy sent another email saying that they had run out of visas and did not have any visas left, but the question is,
1. Can they do that to an applicant who has already received the congratulations and received his A number, and the only thing left to do is print the visa?
2. After the applicants get the interview and succeed, does the embassy not reserve that visa?
3. What is the next step in this? Is there another way to deal with it, or is the decision final?
Thanks

View attachment 3796View attachment 3797
1. Unfortunately, yes. Until they get the actual visa, nothing is guaranteed.
3. The fiscal year is over. Even if there were visas available on September 30, which we know there weren’t, they can’t print now anyway.

@Britsimon - apparently some embassies did in fact know they’d run out of visa numbers and stop issuing.

1. Unfortunately, yes. Until they get the actual visa, nothing is guaranteed.
3. The fiscal year is over. Even if there were visas available on September 30, which we know there weren’t, they can’t print now anyway.

@Britsimon - apparently some embassies did in fact know they’d run out of visa numbers and stop issuing.
okay thanks SusieQQQ