• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

Great to see more people getting interviews. Have a question on financial status and proving not to be a public charge in the US. Do we just need to take in printed bank statements to show we have enough to start a new life in the US? I read somewhere that a guide of $10k per person is sufficient and wanted to make sure everyone here is of the same understanding. There is nothing on the document cover sheet to check this off.

According to one of Brits latest videos, only once has anyone been asked for proof of not a public charge in Sydney.
I think you can use many months of statements, shares, bank, possibly superannuation as it will be taxable in the USA, its not recognised the same way here.

I personally intend to use 3 - 6 months of bank and share statements that far exceed the guide.

Unsure what other people think tho

Great to see more people getting interviews. Have a question on financial status and proving not to be a public charge in the US. Do we just need to take in printed bank statements to show we have enough to start a new life in the US? I read somewhere that a guide of $10k per person is sufficient and wanted to make sure everyone here is of the same understanding. There is nothing on the document cover sheet to check this off.
Hi AUs - USA,
I had thought the same, thing. Are you planning on showing in the interviews any proof that you have researched health cover and prices etc?

I just actually had a bit of anxiety regarding a few questions in the DS260 if anyone can help:

1. Do you hold a passport from the country/region of origin above.
My partner has an old expired NZ passport from when she was younger - expired in 2012. Should I have said yes or no to this question - does having and old expired passport mean "holding a passport". She is Australian and has all up to date Aust passports etc.

2. Start dates at employment and university dates - I entered to the best of my knowledge, do you think within a couple of days will be okay? It's so hard to find my exact employment history and now I'm anxious I've made an error with the dates that could ruin everything.

I love any thoughts on this!

Also - I've just re-read the reciprocity page for the AFP police certificates and realised I ordered code 35 instead of 33 (stupid mistake!) and now awaiting new certificates, plus awaiting marriage certificates. Does anyone else have quite a few more grey hairs after going through this process? I feel like Ive forgotten how to read!

Thanks for any help/reassurance.

How did everyone else go with their form and submitting docs?

I only ever used rough dates for all of my application (employment, addresses, university). I doubt they are going to refuse you because you listed a date off by a few weeks 10 years ago.

Hi All,

Very exciting times, I also have received my interview date and have also booked in the medical. Hoping that all goes well and am successful with the interview.
I wondered had anyone started to think about when would be best to fly out and if we should prepare for flight cancellations and our entry expiry etc? I know it can take weeks/months to get into Australia but not sure of its the same getting out?

Thanks =)

According to one of Brits latest videos, only once has anyone been asked for proof of not a public charge in Sydney.
I think you can use many months of statements, shares, bank, possibly superannuation as it will be taxable in the USA, its not recognised the same way here.

I personally intend to use 3 - 6 months of bank and share statements that far exceed the guide.

Unsure what other people think tho

I simply used my bank statements going back 6 months back in the day. It was sufficient.

But as with anything, go in over prepared if you aren't sure it's enough.

The other thing that people may want to think about is bringing cash to the interview. When I went to my one in Auckland in 2019 the payment machines were down and they only accepted cash. They wouldn't interview without payment so we had to go to an ATM and get cash which was annoying. Small thing to think about.

Hi AUs - USA,
I had thought the same, thing. Are you planning on showing in the interviews any proof that you have researched health cover and prices etc?
Hadn't thought of that but worth putting it in the pile of documents to take in just in case. We have lived there previously on a business visa and we over committed with our paperwork to take in. When we got to the interview it was so quick and only requested to view a couple of documents like our original copies of birth.certificates etc. Never can be too sure though in what they may ask.

Hi All,

Very exciting times, I also have received my interview date and have also booked in the medical. Hoping that all goes well and am successful with the interview.
I wondered had anyone started to think about when would be best to fly out and if we should prepare for flight cancellations and our entry expiry etc? I know it can take weeks/months to get into Australia but not sure of its the same getting out?

Thanks =)
Yes exciting times! I believe getting out is a lot easier than coming in and have known for a couple of people who have left the country over the past couple.of months. Just need the paperwork submitted for the exemption to travel and then rely on the airlines. I wouldn't advise on going there just to activate the visa and come back. Would be an expensive and stressful trip with quarantine on return in Australia and no guarantee of return Flights.

Yes exciting times! I believe getting out is a lot easier than coming in and have known for a couple of people who have left the country over the past couple.of months. Just need the paperwork submitted for the exemption to travel and then rely on the airlines. I wouldn't advise on going there just to activate the visa and come back. Would be an expensive and stressful trip with quarantine on return in Australia and no guarantee of return Flights.
Thank you for responding, its good to know that leaving the country is a lot easier than getting in. I agree, it would be very expensive and stressful to do an activation trip in this current environment, I would have opted for that option if it were a ' normal' year. Will the exemption to travel be easy for us to obtain once we have been approved ( positive thinking) for the visa? You mentioned that you have lived there before, can I ask what type of advice that you might have for for an Aussie moving and living in the states? I'm trying to be as organised ( and budget) as possible without jumping the gun too much =)

Hi all, I'm just over 1450, I have sent a couple emails to KCC about my documents asking if they had received them, they come back to me just saying they received my DS260 and I should submit my documents now, ??? I told them that I sent them on the 19 December, sounds like they have lost them? I resent documents on the 19 March and I have had some great news overnight, finally receiving the "Congratulations, you are ready to be scheduled.
Such a relief!
Good luck to everyone who has interviews in the near future.

Thank you for responding, its good to know that leaving the country is a lot easier than getting in. I agree, it would be very expensive and stressful to do an activation trip in this current environment, I would have opted for that option if it were a ' normal' year. Will the exemption to travel be easy for us to obtain once we have been approved ( positive thinking) for the visa? You mentioned that you have lived there before, can I ask what type of advice that you might have for for an Aussie moving and living in the states? I'm trying to be as organised ( and budget) as possible without jumping the gun too much =)
Hey there. It really depends on where you end up in the states. We were in LA for 5 years which is on the higher end when it comes to cost of living. When we started out, we did get hit with some unexpected costs which related to larger deposits on our utility and phone/TV internet accounts as we didn't have a credit history. Also needed to pay 2 months of rent as a bond which i believe is standard anyway. Throw in car(s) furniture etc it can be up there. We were a family of 4 and it would be vey different for a single or couple where you could find share accomodation which is furnished for a while to get you on your feet.

Hi All - I was on the phone this morning booking medical appointment in Sydney and they requested a reference number which should have "SYD" in it. I gave them my case number which they took down but still required a reference starting with SYD? Any ideas where i can find this? Have checked my paperwork and cant find anything. They said it was to determine whether the medical would be submitted electronically or on paper??
Confused!

Hi all, I'm just over 1450, I have sent a couple emails to KCC about my documents asking if they had received them, they come back to me just saying they received my DS260 and I should submit my documents now, ??? I told them that I sent them on the 19 December, sounds like they have lost them? I resent documents on the 19 March and I have had some great news overnight, finally receiving the "Congratulations, you are ready to be scheduled.
Such a relief!
Hi, where did you send your follow up email, through to kccdvdocuments@state.com or kccdv@state.com.
Coz I have the same scenario and I have resend my documents on the 20th but waiting for reply.

Hi All - I was on the phone this morning booking medical appointment in Sydney and they requested a reference number which should have "SYD" in it. I gave them my case number which they took down but still required a reference starting with SYD? Any ideas where i can find this? Have checked my paperwork and cant find anything. They said it was to determine whether the medical would be submitted electronically or on paper??
Confused!
Hey Aus-Usa

Sounds very similar to the NZ police check
Your reference number should be SYD2021OCXXXX (replace XXXX with your case number, no zeros)

As per the NZ reciprocity page
"When you complete the form, please indicate that the criminal record is being requested for the United States of America and reference the three-letter ten-digit case number (e.g. ACK followed by 10 numbers for Auckland) or A#."

Hey Aus-Usa

Sounds very similar to the NZ police check
Your reference number should be SYD2021OCXXXX (replace XXXX with your case number, no zeros)

As per the NZ reciprocity page
"When you complete the form, please indicate that the criminal record is being requested for the United States of America and reference the three-letter ten-digit case number (e.g. ACK followed by 10 numbers for Auckland) or A#."
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

Aus-Usa,
It looks very similar, the one thing im unsure of is the Zeros. My case didnt need zeroes, but unsure of <1000.

Such a relief!
Great! Good news! I might do they same as I submitted mine 26 Feb (4 weeks ago) and have not heard back. They may still be processing but they also might have lost them - I dont want to take chances. How did you structure your email when you contacted them?

Great! Good news! I might do they same as I submitted mine 26 Feb (4 weeks ago) and have not heard back. They may still be processing but they also might have lost them - I dont want to take chances. How did you structure your email when you contacted them?
Hi Knitwear_Blue.
Only use your your case full case number in the subject.
Name as shown in Confirmation (Surname, first names)
I wrote the case number again eg 2021OC000014xx
Date of birth - Month/date/xxxx
I told them I had submitted documents (inc. date) as per KCC request
I told them I re-submitted same documents again (inc.date)
I mentioned to them that I hadn't received any confirmation at this time.
And asked if they were satisfied with the documents that I have provided.

I read somewhere (may have been on Britsimons Blog) that you could itemise all the documents that were sent earlier.
They replied back in about 1 week.
Hope this helps you, what is your case #

Hi Knitwear_Blue.
Only use your your case full case number in the subject.
Name as shown in Confirmation (Surname, first names)
I wrote the case number again eg 2021OC000014xx
Date of birth - Month/date/xxxx
I told them I had submitted documents (inc. date) as per KCC request
I told them I re-submitted same documents again (inc.date)
I mentioned to them that I hadn't received any confirmation at this time.
And asked if they were satisfied with the documents that I have provided.

I read somewhere (may have been on Britsimons Blog) that you could itemise all the documents that were sent earlier.
They replied back in about 1 week.
Hope this helps you, what is your case #
Really helpful, thanks so much!
I hope youre interview goes well once you receive your date :)