• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing well.

Unfortunately my wife was hit by a car on Saturday night. Fortunately she has been discharged from the hospital, but needs assistance to walk. The driver ran away. We got the license plate and saw the driver. The police officer said that they will contact me to ID the driver, but no one has contacted us yet.

I also checked the security cameras from a nearby liquor store and found the footage of the driver shopping at the location few minuted earlier. I have asked to have the footage but the owner is yet to get back to me.

I have reached out our university's police department and office of international scholars to seek assistance on what I should do, but I have not heard back from anyone. I'd appreciate any comments on how to proceed and what to do. Thanks!
Oh no!!! I’m so sorry to hear that and I hope your wife fully recovers quickly.

Why have the police not asked for the surveillance tapes? I would follow up with them in the first instance.

Unfortunately my wife was hit by a car on Saturday night. Fortunately she has been discharged from the hospital, but needs assistance to walk. The driver ran away. We got the license plate and saw the driver. The police officer said that they will contact me to ID the driver, but no one has contacted us yet.

I also checked the security cameras from a nearby liquor store and found the footage of the driver shopping at the location few minuted earlier. I have asked to have the footage but the owner is yet to get back to me.

I have reached out our university's police department and office of international scholars to seek assistance on what I should do, but I have not heard back from anyone. I'd appreciate any comments on how to proceed and what to do. Thanks!
Oh dear! So sorry to learn of this. Here's hoping and wishing your wife a full recovery.

I am extremely sorry about the incident.

Hi mom!
After trying for 2 months, I finally managed to get an appointment with USCIS. ( basically me calling rhem

However, the interview date is actually on my current flight date. I will most likely miss it so need to start arranging my new flight + plans back home.

I wanted to ask how soon an i551 stamp is issued in general? Can it be issued on the spot? Or need to wait for a week to arrive like a regular non immigrant visa? If it depends, what can you do to expedite it?

For anyone who is looking to get an appointment with them for i551,
What has worked for me is that my inquiries to get an appt were never considered urgent, so They put me into a regular queue and I waited up to 30 days a few times. However I never received a callback from them. I called them again to tell that I never received a call, one agent was kind enough to turn my current inquiry into an urgent one. I sent inquiries for callbacks probably 4-5 times from time to time. Not sure if this can be repetitive but hope it’s helpful for anyone.

Thank you as always.

Hi mom!
After trying for 2 months, I finally managed to get an appointment with USCIS. ( basically me calling rhem

However, the interview date is actually on my current flight date. I will most likely miss it so need to start arranging my new flight + plans back home.

I wanted to ask how soon an i551 stamp is issued in general? Can it be issued on the spot? Or need to wait for a week to arrive like a regular non immigrant visa? If it depends, what can you do to expedite it?

For anyone who is looking to get an appointment with them for i551,
What has worked for me is that my inquiries to get an appt were never considered urgent, so They put me into a regular queue and I waited up to 30 days a few times. However I never received a callback from them. I called them again to tell that I never received a call, one agent was kind enough to turn my current inquiry into an urgent one. I sent inquiries for callbacks probably 4-5 times from time to time. Not sure if this can be repetitive but hope it’s helpful for anyone.

Thank you as always.
Oh wow! Not quite sure why your INFOPASS took so long to get scheduled, maybe you’ve just be unlucky with USCIS. I know of cases that got scheduled right away as soon as they informed the agents about the urgency of their travel, as in need to travel within the next couple of days. Maybe you told them your travel plan was like two to three months away?

Anyway, the I-551 is a stamp that gets issued on the spot, you need a valid passport for this as that is when the stamp gets put on.

Oh wow! Not quite sure why your INFOPASS took so long to get scheduled, maybe you’ve just be unlucky with USCIS. I know of cases that got scheduled right away as soon as they informed the agents about the urgency of their travel, as in need to travel within the next couple of days. Maybe you told them your travel plan was like two to three months away?

Anyway, the I-551 is a stamp that gets issued on the spot, you need a valid passport for this as that is when the stamp gets put on.
amazing. Thank you for the clarification! Appreciate it!

Hi @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom
Would like to get an insight from you'll...so I am planning to travel outside US (emergency)..with all these new strains popping up and new restrictions been put on am kinda getting nervous. My question is , i see all the restriction put on by US says LPR and citizend exempt from these restrictions. So help me get this clear - so if LPRs are except what do we need to worry about travelling outside USA and then entering?...if LPRs are excempt do we need to apply for reentry permit if we are planning on being outside just for 3 weeks?

Hi @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom
Would like to get an insight from you'll...so I am planning to travel outside US (emergency)..with all these new strains popping up and new restrictions been put on am kinda getting nervous. My question is , i see all the restriction put on by US says LPR and citizend exempt from these restrictions. So help me get this clear - so if LPRs are except what do we need to worry about travelling outside USA and then entering?...if LPRs are excempt do we need to apply for reentry permit if we are planning on being outside just for 3 weeks?
As far as I know if LPR travels outside for less than 6 months there's should not be an issue to reenter and no advance parol travel document required below 6 months. Anyone correct me please.

As far as I know if LPR travels outside for less than 6 months there's should not be an issue to reenter and no advance parol travel document required below 6 months. Anyone correct me please.
My question is more into covid and restrictions- i have seen people say they have gotten stuck but if LPRS are exempt what variable makes them stuck is what im try to fig out!

My question is more into covid and restrictions- i have seen people say they have gotten stuck but if LPRS are exempt what variable makes them stuck is what im try to fig out!
No issues to leave the US and reenter. You just need to have a negative covid test 3 days before your flight to the US.

Hi @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom
AFAIK, all the restrictions the US has had or still have in place do exempt LPRs and USCs. You don’t need a re-entry permit in such a case. All you need is proof of your LPR status. Any LPR or USC that was stuck outside the US could be due to lockdown restrictions put in place in the country/places they were in at the time, not by the US.

Great news. Looks like your IO waited for the asylum case to get approved first before approving the AOS applications. Congratulations to you guys.
How do you know her asylum case was approved? She filed for asylum and she hasn't gone to asylum interview.

How do you know her asylum case was approved? She filed for asylum and she hasn't gone to asylum interview.
How do I know? Really??? And how do you know the OP hadn’t gone for the asylum interview? You’ve gone through all of the OP’s past posts on this thread and you came to that conclusion?

How do I know? Really??? And how do you know the OP hadn’t gone for the asylum interview? You’ve gone through all of the OP’s past posts on this thread and you came to that conclusion?
I believe it’s a miscommunication. I’m asking because she mentioned that she hasn’t gone for interview and OP just checked her asylum case. I was wondering if she won her asylum case.

I had a quick question regarding the "resident since" on my green card. My green card got approved in Sep 2020 and my resident card says resident since 09/01/2020. I vaguely remember somewhere that once the green card is approved, the resident since is when the applications first open. So should my green card be saying resident since "09/01/2019"?

I believe it’s a miscommunication. I’m asking because she mentioned that she hasn’t gone for interview and OP just checked her asylum case. I was wondering if she won her asylum case.
You have clearly misunderstood what the OP wrote. You above interpretation IS NOT what she wrote. I suggest you read her post again. And I wouldn’t have written “I guess your IO was waiting for the asylum case approval first before approving your case” if the asylum case was not approved.

In summary, OP’s husband had an asylum case (of which she was a derivative) with a different FO than the FO with jurisdiction over the DV based AOS application. Asylum case was approved, DV based AOS was also approved.

I had a quick question regarding the "resident since" on my green card. My green card got approved in Sep 2020 and my resident card says resident since 09/01/2020. I vaguely remember somewhere that once the green card is approved, the resident since is when the applications first open. So should my green card be saying resident since "09/01/2019"?
You’re probably mixing up information with regards to Asylum based AOS applications where the resident since date gets back-dated by one year. Your resident since date for DV based AOS application is from the day the case was approved, the date on your card is correct.

Hi @Sm1smom,

I got my green card back in July 2021 through DV2021. As my previous status was F1 and I completed the green card process while being in the United States, do I need to go to the US Embassy when I visit home before traveling back to the US or Im good to come back to the US whenever I want with my green card?