• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your selection for DV 2021.

This Thread is intended for DV 2021 selectees currently based in the US who wish to proceed with their selection by processing AOS (Adjustment of Status).

The AOS process may initially seem complicated and confusing; and you probably have a gazillion questions to ask. But before you start doing so, please take some time to go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet (link below). It has a step by step guide on DV based AOS process. If you have follow up questions AFTER going through the spreadsheet, then feel free to post them on this Thread.

DISCLAIMER:
The spreadsheet is a GUIDE based on collections of experience - it is not USCIS sanctioned (but definitely more detailed than any information you can get directly from USCIS - either in person or on the phone). So remember, while you may be relying on this spreadsheet, you're still personally responsible for your own case at the end of the day.

Good luck!

AOS Process Spreadsheet

And for if you're wondering "how do I complete the DS260 form"? Completing the DS260 for DV lottery entrants by Simon is your go to source

Congratulations on your selection for DV 2021.

This Thread is intended for DV 2021 selectees currently based in the US who wish to proceed with their selection by processing AOS (Adjustment of Status).

The AOS process may initially seem complicated and confusing; and you probably have a gazillion questions to ask. But before you start doing so, please take some time to go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet (link below). It has a step by step guide on DV based AOS process. If you have follow up questions AFTER going through the spreadsheet, then feel free to post them on this Thread.

DISCLAIMER:
The spreadsheet is a GUIDE based on collections of experience - it is not USCIS sanctioned (but definitely more detailed than any information you can get directly from USCIS - either in person or on the phone). So remember, while you may be relying on this spreadsheet, you're still personally responsible for your own case at the end of the day.

Good luck!

goo.gl/0va2DU

I'm so glad to see this years AOS thread! Thanks Mom for starting it, for being there for people and for the DV related info you have documented on the link above. Over the year I'll be directing people here to get help because you are the number one expert on DV related AOS matters.

Hi! I am debating if I should go with the AOS route and would love your thoughts on my current situation. My info:
  1. I am currently on F1 visa and working on STEM OPT in the US, this will expire in July 2021.
  2. My case number is 2021EU00032XXX.
Questions:
  1. Do you think it would make sense to go with AOS route?
  2. Would it be faster to fly back to my home country and go with consular processing?
  3. Is it worth it to hire a lawyer? (based is BritSimon blog, he doesn't seem think it's quite necessary)
  4. When do I need to send in the DS-260 form? (rough estimate is sufficient)
  5. If I go with AOS, can you explain this eligibility criteria "Have an immigrant visa immediately available at the time of filing an adjustment application" on the USCIS site - since I am on F1 visa (non-immigrant visa) at the time of filing for adjustment application - am I eligible for AOS?
Any additional advice/insights/useful links that you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks for making the thread - really appreciate the support here!

*Please let me know if this post doesn't belong here, I can delete and repost in the appropriate thread.*

Hello @Britsimon and @Sm1smom,

First of all, I wanted to thank you two and everyone on this forum for all the help and time you guys provide to everyone. I realized that everyone over here is a volunteer and its amazing how much information you all provide to the public for free.

Secondly, I had two questions.
(PS: I spent about 14 hours reading everything I could on the forums and on Simon's blog, so if my questions are too stupid I promise Its not because of me being too lazy to read its just because there's so much info on here It gets slightly overwhelming).

1. My wife just got selected with a AS33XXX CN (we're currently in the US). I realize its too early to tell if that's a large CN or not but given the fact that people have been only mentioning their CNs this year being in the 25k+ range for AS and 50k+ for AF I'm slightly certain that something different is happening this year. My question is: IF 33k is a large CN for AS, is there a chance that we won't get time to go through the process before the end of the Fiscal year? I'm asking this because, from what I've seen, all regions become current towards the last two months of the f.year which means everyone should be able to get their stuff done during these last two months. Have you guys actually witnessed a case where someone just ran out of time because of their CN being too high?

2. My wife's (the principal applicant) passport is expiring in a couple of weeks and with the coronavirus situation, the embassy says that the renewal of the passport might take more than the usual 3 months. My question is: do we carry on with the paperwork using the soon to be expired passport number? I know that she would need to present a valid passport at the interview and explain why the passport number has changed but do we file the paperwork (DS-260, etc.) using the old number or do we wait till her passport gets renewed?

I'm also really sorry for the long post.

First of all, I wanted to thank you two and everyone on this forum for all the help and time you guys provide to everyone. I realized that everyone over here is a volunteer and its amazing how much information you all provide to the public for free.

(PS: I spent about 14 hours reading everything I could on the forums and on Simon's blog, so if my questions are too stupid I promise Its not because of me being too lazy to read its just because there's so much info on here It gets slightly overwhelming).

1. My wife just got selected with a AS33XXX CN (we're currently in the US). I realize its too early to tell if that's a large CN or not but given the fact that people have been only mentioning their CNs this year being in the 25k+ range for AS and 50k+ for AF I'm slightly certain that something different is happening this year. My question is: IF 33k is a large CN for AS, is there a chance that we won't get time to go through the process before the end of the Fiscal year? I'm asking this because, from what I've seen, all regions become current towards the last two months of the f.year which means everyone should be able to get their stuff done during these last two months. Have you guys actually witnessed a case where someone just ran out of time because of their CN being too high?

2. My wife's (the principal applicant) passport is expiring in a couple of weeks and with the coronavirus situation, the embassy says that the renewal of the passport might take more than the usual 3 months. My question is: do we carry on with the paperwork using the soon to be expired passport number? I know that she would need to present a valid passport at the interview and explain why the passport number has changed but do we file the paperwork (DS-260, etc.) using the old number or do we wait till her passport gets renewed?

1. Yes your CN is high, but as you say we don't know exactly how high yet. However, for AOS there is nothing you should be doing for a while anyway - so there is time to wait and ascertain your chances. Yes it is possible you might never become current. Again - we have to wait and see. If you do become current we have seen cases submitted very late in the year and still make it - especially where people use the early filing option. However, there have been some cases that don't complete in time. Your country of birth, employment and travel history can factor into that.
2. You should not be filing anything for months to come. So there is plenty of time to renew her passport. Submitting the DS260 is optional for AOS cases, and whilst I think it is worthwhile, you certainly don't need to submit that now, you can wait for months.

Hello Everyone, my case number is: 2021SA000012XX

I am an international student on a F1 Visa (1 more year till I finish my program in April 2021). Yesterday I found out that I've been selected for a Diversity Visa (Green card Lottery). My question is the following:

I have a relatively high case number (looking at previous years my number may become available in the visa Bulletin at around May 2021). Nevertheless, I am doubting on when to submit my DS-260/I-485 for "Adjustment of status (AOS)" as I will need to apply for OPT next year. In my career we have to apply to "The Match" in December (2020) so that next year we will have a Residency (work in my field) starting at around July of the following year (in this case July 2021). So I do not know if submitting the previously mentioned documents too early could negatively impact my chances to obtain OPT or a H1-B visa (inmigration intent, because I won the Lottery).

What should I do? When should I submit my paperwork for the diversity visa? Will I have any issues with getting my OPT/H1-B visa? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Is there anything I have to do in this moment, immeadiately in case I have to wait?

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see this years AOS thread! Thanks Mom for starting it, for being there for people and for the DV related info you have documented on the link above. Over the year I'll be directing people here to get help because you are the number one expert on DV related AOS matters.

Thanks Simon for the endorsement, ;). I’m simply trying to keep pace with you and Susie (and not drop the ball) seeing what a great job you’re both doing - you on your blog, and Susie on the “other forum” (in addition to you both also helping out in this forum).

Hi! I am debating if I should go with the AOS route and would love your thoughts on my current situation. My info:
  1. I am currently on F1 visa and working on STEM OPT in the US, this will expire in July 2021.
  2. My case number is 2021EU00032XXX.
Questions:
  1. Do you think it would make sense to go with AOS route?
  2. Would it be faster to fly back to my home country and go with consular processing?
  3. Is it worth it to hire a lawyer? (based is BritSimon blog, he doesn't seem think it's quite necessary)
  4. When do I need to send in the DS-260 form? (rough estimate is sufficient)
  5. If I go with AOS, can you explain this eligibility criteria "Have an immigrant visa immediately available at the time of filing an adjustment application" on the USCIS site - since I am on F1 visa (non-immigrant visa) at the time of filing for adjustment application - am I eligible for AOS?
Any additional advice/insights/useful links that you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks for making the thread - really appreciate the support here!

*Please let me know if this post doesn't belong here, I can delete and repost in the appropriate thread.*

I think you need to start by going through the AOS process spreadsheet first, review the tab with the pros and cons of AOS vs. CP to help you have a (hopefully better) understanding of both processes.

1. I really can’t define what would “make sense” for you - you have a better understanding of your personal situation than I do.
2. Review the pros and cons of both processes as recommended above.
3. Waste of time and resources IMO - unless you have a complicated situation status-wise, or cannot fill out your forms on your own, or have a tough time reading/comprehending the AOS spreadsheet and applicable form instructions, etc. Hiring a lawyer will not fast track the process.
4. No rush if going through AOS. However, read the AOS process spreadsheet first!
5. Read the AOS process spreadsheet.

What Simon said ^^ above.

Hello Everyone, my case number is: 2021SA000012XX

I am an international student on a F1 Visa (1 more year till I finish my program in April 2021). Yesterday I found out that I've been selected for a Diversity Visa (Green card Lottery). My question is the following:

I have a relatively high case number (looking at previous years my number may become available in the visa Bulletin at around May 2021). Nevertheless, I am doubting on when to submit my DS-260/I-485 for "Adjustment of status (AOS)" as I will need to apply for OPT next year. In my career we have to apply to "The Match" in December (2020) so that next year we will have a Residency (work in my field) starting at around July of the following year (in this case July 2021). So I do not know if submitting the previously mentioned documents too early could negatively impact my chances to obtain OPT or a H1-B visa (inmigration intent, because I won the Lottery).

What should I do? When should I submit my paperwork for the diversity visa? Will I have any issues with getting my OPT/H1-B visa? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Is there anything I have to do in this moment, immeadiately in case I have to wait?

Like you already noted, your CN seem relatively high. So you don’t need to fill out or submit ANY form with regards to your DV selection for now. Continue with your current plan as if you are not a DV selectee. Plenty of time to figure things out while following the VB and waiting for your CN to become current.

In the meantime, start by going through the AOS process spreadsheet and past AOS only threads in the forum to help you better under the process and hopefully prepare you for when your CN becomes current.

Like you already noted, your CN seem relatively high. So you don’t need to fill out or submit ANY form with regards to your DV selection for now. Continue with your current plan as if you are not a DV selectee. Plenty of time to figure things out while following the VB and waiting for your CN to become current.

In the meantime, start by going through the AOS process spreadsheet and past AOS only threads in the forum to help you better under the process and hopefully prepare you for when your CN becomes current.

Thank you very much for your answer, this means there is nothing I have to begin doing? There is the option to send my case to USCIS for the AOS process, shouldn't I at least select this option, and then wait an not submit the other things? Do I risk my chance of getting a green card if I submit my I-485 at around May 2021 and just in the month the visa bulletin mention my number send my case to USCIS?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer, this means there is nothing I have to begin doing? There is the option to send my case to USCIS for the AOS process, shouldn't I at least select this option, and then wait an not submit the other things? Do I risk my chance of getting a green card if I submit my I-485 at around May 2021 and just in the month the visa bulletin mention my number send my case to USCIS?

R.E.A.D the AOS process spreadsheet!

I took my time in providing you with a well thought out response, so follow up by doing what has been recommended. DS260 submission signifies an immigrant intent which may have negative ramifications down the road if your CN does not become current or AOS gets approved by the end of the FY.

R.E.A.D the AOS process spreadsheet!

I took my time in providing you with a well thought out response, so follow up by doing what has been recommended. DS260 submission signifies an immigrant intent which may have negative ramifications down the road if your CN does not become current or AOS gets approved by the end of the FY.

Thank you for your response, but I have read the spreadsheet multiple times. Step 2 is Determine elegibility and Step 3 is Fill Form DS-260, it doesn't say anything about the intermediate step 2.5 which is if we should send our case to USCIS or not (even without filling the DS-260). That's why I am asking. Maybe I am understanding something wrong and there is no way to send the case to USCIS before actually filling the DS-260?

Thank you for your response, but I have read the spreadsheet multiple times. Step 2 is Determine elegibility and Step 3 is Fill Form DS-260, it doesn't say anything about the intermediate step 2.5 which is if we should send our case to USCIS or not (even without filling the DS-260). That's why I am asking. Maybe I am understanding something wrong and there is no way to send the case to USCIS before actually filling the DS-260?
You “send your case to uscis” when your case number is current and you send your package to the Chicago lockbox. (Step 9 on AOS process sheet) Or do you mean something else by “send the case”?

Hello everyone!
Thanks for all the amazing information posted here. I am an F1 visa and my wife is F2. I won the DV lottery. My number is 10xxx. I was wondering if doing the AOS instead of consular processing would put my DV lottery in danger. I read in the spreadsheet that processing times are longer for AOS. Would I get rejected if the whole AOS process lasts longer than a year?

Thanks!

You “send your case to uscis” when your case number is current and you send your package to the Chicago lockbox. (Step 9 on AOS process sheet) Or do you mean something else by “send the case”?

Yes something else, before filling the DS-260 they ask the following:

"Based on your country of residence at the time you submitted your DV lottery entry, you are currently residing in the United States.

Do you want to adjust status without leaving the United States?
Yes, send my case to USCIS
No, I want to return abroad and have an interview in: ..."

So I was wondering if I should select the first option and then wait. Or if I don't touch anything altogether until the visa number comes in the bulletin.

Thanks again!

Yes something else, before filling the DS-260 they ask the following:

"Based on your country of residence at the time you submitted your DV lottery entry, you are currently residing in the United States.

Do you want to adjust status without leaving the United States?
Yes, send my case to USCIS
No, I want to return abroad and have an interview in: ..."

So I was wondering if I should select the first option and then wait. Or if I don't touch anything altogether until the visa number comes in the bulletin.

Thanks again!
Is that part of the ds260/comes up when you click on the ds260?

That is because there’s no step “2.5” between steps 2 and 3! You don’t send anything to USCIS before your CN becomes current. The only time you send anything to USCIS is when you submit your AOS package, which will be after your FY starts (Oct 2020) in addition to your CN being listed as current on the VB (Visa Bulletin). Maybe you should really finish reading the entire steps first before trying to determine if what you’re reading makes sense or not. And while reading the steps, be sure to pay attention to the “Cautions”, “Notes”, “Comments” section of each step also.