• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

January VB is out!
Same story again; very slow movement.
Can someone tell me what’s the story?
I mean I totally understand the Trump ban (for all countries) which was supposed to be over by the end of 2020 (we don’t know yet about any extension though!)
And makes complete sense for DOS not to increase the numbers and create a huge back log!
But the question is: how far are we gonna be like this? Like Biden comes on Jan 20th and remove the ban? Or what?! Can I ever become current with a 5*** number from Iran?!
@Britsimon

Hi Mom,

I have written in previously, and again want to say how much I appreciate all the help/insight you provide to DV winners.

I received OC9**, currently in the US on an H1b, and was planning to file AOS. After looking over this month’s DV bulletin, it seems like my number won’t be selected for a few more months, at best. At what point, if any, should I consider filing the DS-260 (have notified KCC of my intention to file AOS) and pursuing consular processing?

I only ask because I have heard horror stories of the AOS route taking the greater part of a year.

Cheers!

Hi Mom,

I have written in previously, and again want to say how much I appreciate all the help/insight you provide to DV winners.

I received OC9**, currently in the US on an H1b, and was planning to file AOS. After looking over this month’s DV bulletin, it seems like my number won’t be selected for a few more months, at best. At what point, if any, should I consider filing the DS-260 (have notified KCC of my intention to file AOS) and pursuing consular processing?

I only ask because I have heard horror stories of the AOS route taking the greater part of a year.

Cheers!

1. All other things being equal, waiting until April to submit the DS260 for CP may not be too late.
2. You’ve heard “horror stories of AOS taking the greater part of a year”, have you actually gone through some of the AOS timeline spreadsheets for a better insight into the timing process of your potential FO?

Cheers!

You may also have heard stories of AOS taking less than a month. There are a number of FOs who don’t hurry the process for those who submit early as they know what the deadline is. Some FOs batch DV cases too. Sure, if you want to be more certain that you will get your interview in the month your number is current CP is better. If you are worried that you will submit later in the year and that it will take too long (assuming you personally don’t delay till the last month of course) then you can read back in the threads and find plenty of success stories.

January VB is out!
Same story again; very slow movement.
Can someone tell me what’s the story?
I mean I totally understand the Trump ban (for all countries) which was supposed to be over by the end of 2020 (we don’t know yet about any extension though!)
And makes complete sense for DOS not to increase the numbers and create a huge back log!
But the question is: how far are we gonna be like this? Like Biden comes on Jan 20th and remove the ban? Or what?! Can I ever become current with a 5*** number from Iran?!
@Britsimon

Same situation/ question here! AS5*** (Iran), I'm wondering with such slow unprecedented pace, can we even be hopeful? I haven't even filed my DS260 yet.

Good news, I got my biometrics letter. Bad news, it has the wrong name again :(
I also received the response for my typo error request from my field office. The response is what was told me from the call center. However, it is kind of confusing. Should I send only a supporting document or should I send a new I-485 as well? Also it says I should send it to the address on my receipt notice and it is from NBC. Should I send the original or copy of the NOA? What to do about biometrics letter? Thank you for the helps, happy holidays to all.

Attachments

• 6917C09E-6C3B-4064-A84B-055C6EE93E96.jpeg
    6917C09E-6C3B-4064-A84B-055C6EE93E96.jpeg
    619 KB · Views: 32
Good news, I got my biometrics letter. Bad news, it has the wrong name again :(
I also received the response for my typo error request from my field office. The response is what was told me from the call center. However, it is kind of confusing. Should I send only a supporting document or should I send a new I-485 as well? Also it says I should send it to the address on my receipt notice and it is from NBC. Should I send the original or copy of the NOA? What to do about biometrics letter? Thank you for the helps, happy holidays to all.

The bio notice contains your name as listed on your I-485 by you, (so technically speaking it does not have the “wrong name”).

The mixed name is not a big deal. You’ll have two opportunities at informing USCIS of the name swap in person. Call this out when you go for your bio and later on when you go in for your interview.

You can also send in a new I-485, with a copy of your passport bio page, birth certificate, NOA (with the receipt number) for the previous I-485, and a cover note explaining why you’re sending in a new I-485.

@mom ..just out of curiousity -- according to gg96 USCIS field has requested him to mail in a new i485 with supporting docs to get his typo corrected - but in my case of typo ( birth year typo) , they sent me just an email telling to get it adjusted in the interview. Curious why they followed do different methods in this case?

@mom ..just out of curiousity -- according to gg96 USCIS field has requested him to mail in a new i485 with supporting docs to get his typo corrected - but in my case of typo ( birth year typo) , they sent me just an email telling to get it adjusted in the interview. Curious why they followed do different methods in this case?

Like you would have noticed I already responded to @gg96 that the error can also be corrected at the interview. Anyway, you received different response because different people responded to both queries.

The bio notice contains your name as listed on your I-485 by you, (so technically speaking it does not have the “wrong name”).

The mixed name is not a big deal. You’ll have two opportunities at informing USCIS of the name swap in person. Call this out when you go for your bio and later on when you go in for your interview.

You can also send in a new I-485, with a copy of your passport bio page, birth certificate, NOA (with the receipt number) for the previous I-485, and a cover note explaining why you’re sending in a new I-485.

I am scared if they don’t accept me to the biometrics because my name on the letter is not matching my ID. But there is no way I can get a new biometrics letter with the correct name before the appointment, right?

I will send a new I-485 with the supporting documents but should I do it as soon as possible or should I wait for the biometrics appointment? I don’t want to mess up with the schedule if me sending a new I-485 will cause a reschedule of my appointment.

I am scared if they don’t accept me to the biometrics because my name on the letter is not matching my ID. But there is no way I can get a new biometrics letter with the correct name before the appointment, right?

I will send a new I-485 with the supporting documents but should I do it as soon as possible or should I wait for the biometrics appointment? I don’t want to mess up with the schedule if me sending a new I-485 will cause a reschedule of my appointment.

The names are simply transposed, isn’t it? Both names on the bio notice are the same names listed on your ID, are they not? Attend the bio as is. Like I already stated, it is not a big deal, I’ve seen this happen before, with the correction being made at the bio/interview appointment.

You can decide on when or if there’s any need to send in a new I485. I did not recommend you initiate the error correction request which led to their giving you conflicting instructions re the new submission, you did that on you. I told you from the beginning you will have the opportunity of pointing out the error and updating your information when you go for the bio/interview. Whatever you decide on, just make sure you do not miss the bio.

Hi mom,

A USCIS designated CS in Kansas City, MO says that he will charge $200.00 for my immigration medical exam given I get all the labs and vaccinations done beforehand elsewhere. Does this or the price sound reasonable to you?

Thanks in advance!

Hi mom,

A USCIS designated CS in Kansas City, MO says that he will charge $200.00 for my immigration medical exam given I get all the labs and vaccinations done beforehand elsewhere. Does this or the price sound reasonable to you?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, quite reasonable.

Lol! Love the gibberish talk trick :D:D:D

For everybody's information. We also have not received bio notice yet. We just called to USCIS 1800 3755283 number to check (in order to connect to a representative I said "I need to check if my biometrics notice have not been scheduled." Then, the robot said something about scheduling an appointment and then I was put on hold to talk to representative in 11 min). I asked to talk to tier 2 personnel about bio notice. I am not sure I understood correctly what I was told, but I think he said ASC (forgot what it stands for :) ) deals with biometrics. He then asked our alien number (I read from NOA), checked our address, asked to provide a phone number and an email. He held the phone for about 2 min and, then, said that the biometrics was not scheduled yet for our case. I asked is it because of Covid? He said yes and when I asked how long should we wait, he said he does not have information to answer that. So, we need to wait. I thought this info may be useful for people waiting their biometrics. We will definitely update the timeline as soon as we get the Bio Letter.

Happy holidays to everybody!!! Thank you for great forum!!!

Last edited:
For everybody's information. We also have not received bio notice yet. We just called to USCIS 1800 3755283 number to check (in order to connect to a representative I said "I need to check if my biometrics notice have not been scheduled." Then, the robot said something about scheduling an appointment and then I was put on hold to talk to representative in 11 min). I asked to talk to tier 2 personnel about bio notice. I am not sure I understood correctly what I was told, but I think he said ASC (forgot what it stands for :) ) deals with biometrics. He then asked our alien number (I read from NOA), checked our address, asked to provide a phone number and an email. He held the phone for about 2 min and, then, said that the biometrics was not scheduled yet for our case. I asked is it because of Covid? He said yes and when I asked how long should we wait, he said he does not have information to answer that. So, we need to wait. I thought this info may be useful for people waiting their biometrics. We will definitely update the timeline as soon as we get the Bio Letter.

Happy holidays to everybody!!! Thank you for great forum!!!

Thank you for the update @NickN. I called the USCIS too. The representative said that my biometric has been scheduled on December 22 and asked me to call back if I do not get the mail in a week from today. I will update the timeline as soon as the biometric letter arrives.

I am not sure I understood correctly what I was told, but I think he said ASC (forgot what it stands for :) ) deals with biometrics.

FYI it is Application Support Center, and yes they take bio, sometimes they are in same location as FO but can be elsewhere too.

Thank you for the update @NickN. I called the USCIS too. The representative said that my biometric has been scheduled on December 22 and asked me to call back if I do not get the mail in a week from today. I will update the timeline as soon as the biometric letter arrives.
Gsan21,
Thank you for information! Great news, congratulations! I wish you to get the mail soon and well. Keep watching at your updates.

You may also have heard stories of AOS taking less than a month. There are a number of FOs who don’t hurry the process for those who submit early as they know what the deadline is. Some FOs batch DV cases too. Sure, if you want to be more certain that you will get your interview in the month your number is current CP is better. If you are worried that you will submit later in the year and that it will take too long (assuming you personally don’t delay till the last month of course) then you can read back in the threads and find plenty of success stories.

Thank you both! After looking through the spreadsheets there seems to be a lot of cases turned around quickly, I should have started there... I just wasn't sure how covid would impact those timelines. I will wait and see what the next few DV bulletins look like. Appreciate all of the help.