• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I have questions about form i-485 for my elementary school-age son (dependent):

1. In Part 10 6.a(Applicant's signature), how should I sign there? Should I include his name and my name with my signature or is there another standard way?
2. Should I file my details in Part 12 as a Person Preparing my son's i-485 form?
1. You sign with your name.
2. Yes you can do so.

Hi Mom,

We are putting our AOS package together and saw that the USCIS filing tips for supporting documentation says, "If you have any attachments, make sure each attached page has your name and A-Number (if any)."

We are wondering if this is necessary since it defaces some official documents like birth certificates and diplomas.

Thank you!

Hi Mom,

We are putting our AOS package together and saw that the USCIS filing tips for supporting documentation says, "If you have any attachments, make sure each attached page has your name and A-Number (if any)."

We are wondering if this is necessary since it defaces some official documents like birth certificates and diplomas.

Thank you!
I have never followed that suggestion all the time I’ve filed an application with USCIS in the past.

Thank you for the answers Mom.

I also have a student loan in the US, so does it make sense to show the loan statement/paper or it will be more negative factor (20 years loan)?

Hi Mom/Brit and co,

Wife and myself are currently in the USA on an E3 ( I will transition to a H1B come Oct1 2021 at the start of the new year). I am born in Oz, wife in India.

My wife and I have are at a log jam - her birth is prior to 1969 and she was in India and according to //travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/India.html if our reading of this is correct - she is not required to show a Birth Cert or a Non Availability of Birth Cert (NABC), just the secondary evidence. Both her parents are no longer alive and there is no one with first hand knowledge alive either.

We have been trying for a few months now to get NABC etc from India - but because of covid - things are just shut down in the area we need to apply for (magistrates and medical officer in the region)

He have an affidavit from her elder sister - which states both parents names, and a self affidavit, as well as the Indian school certificate (which is on the secondary evidence list). She is also now an Australian citizen (which only required her own self affidavit and valid passport at the time to get PR and later citizenship).

My question is - do we have enough to submit the i485 (we have everything else ready to go) or is it not sufficient at this point in time. I am asking as I don't want to put at risk any other applications for work visa's (especially as my company will be submitting a final H1b in the next few months for Oct1, or put future E3's at risk).

Any insight here would help - many of the lawyers just say get the NABC and you do see many instances of i485's rejected for india's sponsoring their parents without such documentation. But we also know the DVLottery is special - especially around time constraints - this year more than ever - so we don't want any RFE's or similar.

thanking you in advance.

Hi Mom/Brit and co,

Wife and myself are currently in the USA on an E3 ( I will transition to a H1B come Oct1 2021 at the start of the new year). I am born in Oz, wife in India.

My wife and I have are at a log jam - her birth is prior to 1969 and she was in India and according to //travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/India.html if our reading of this is correct - she is not required to show a Birth Cert or a Non Availability of Birth Cert (NABC), just the secondary evidence. Both her parents are no longer alive and there is no one with first hand knowledge alive either.

We have been trying for a few months now to get NABC etc from India - but because of covid - things are just shut down in the area we need to apply for (magistrates and medical officer in the region)

He have an affidavit from her elder sister - which states both parents names, and a self affidavit, as well as the Indian school certificate (which is on the secondary evidence list). She is also now an Australian citizen (which only required her own self affidavit and valid passport at the time to get PR and later citizenship).

My question is - do we have enough to submit the i485 (we have everything else ready to go) or is it not sufficient at this point in time. I am asking as I don't want to put at risk any other applications for work visa's (especially as my company will be submitting a final H1b in the next few months for Oct1, or put future E3's at risk).

Any insight here would help - many of the lawyers just say get the NABC and you do see many instances of i485's rejected for india's sponsoring their parents without such documentation. But we also know the DVLottery is special - especially around time constraints - this year more than ever - so we don't want any RFE's or similar.

thanking you in advance.
I’m sorry I don’t know if what you have is enough or not.

Hello Sm1simon,

It has been two weeks after getting the receipt notice, and our case status for the second package still shows "Fingerprint fee was received ."
1. So, Do you think it is time to send a withdrawal letter?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Sm1simon,

It has been two weeks after getting the receipt notice, and our case status for the second package still shows "Fingerprint fee was received ."
1. So, Do you think it is time to send a withdrawal letter?

Thank you in advance.
Has the payment gone through for the second package?

Hello Mom,

Thank you for your response, and we will wait.
Do you think that they are trying to cash our checks one more time?

Thank you.
I don’t think they’re making a new attempt at cashing the check, they typically make a one time attempt. I’m guessing they connected it with the first package/payment, which is why I’m recommending to not rock the boat for now by trying to withdraw it (I could be wrong of course). Fingers crossed, you’ll get your bio notice soon and we may get a better insight then.

I went through the timeline table, I found 7 African numbers, No one get an interview notice till now.
1- I am wondering whether the processing time is longer for such cases, or May be Africa takes a lot of visas , so there is a preference to finish the countries who takes less number first.

I don’t think they’re making a new attempt at cashing the check, they typically make a one time attempt. I’m guessing they connected it with the first package/payment, which is why I’m recommending to not rock the boat for now by trying to withdraw it (I could be wrong of course). Fingers crossed, you’ll get your bio notice soon and we may get a better insight then.
Hello Mom,

I really appreciate your thoughts, and We will wait and keep you updated on the situation.

Thank you.

I went through the timeline table, I found 7 African numbers, No one get an interview notice till now.
1- I am wondering whether the processing time is longer for such cases, or May be Africa takes a lot of visas , so there is a preference to finish the countries who takes less number first.
AOS doesn’t work like that (and any “lot of visas” issue - you mean visa allocation I presume - is dealt with at a higher DV level via which case numbers are current). More likely to be a reflective of who is active on the forum.