• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 ALL SELECTEES

Hello all. My family has been selected and our CN is 2021AS6xx which is low (thanks God). The only thing I worry is that the COVID impacts the interview schedule a lot. The worst situation is that all of the CP suspend in the whole FY 2021. Am I over worried? I have unlocked DS-260 to amend something. I am considering if I should also change the interview location to the US (from CP to AOS). Thanks for your advice.

Hello all. My family has been selected and our CN is 2021AS6xx which is low (thanks God). The only thing I worry is that the COVID impacts the interview schedule a lot. The worst situation is that all of the CP suspend in the whole FY 2021. Am I over worried? I have unlocked DS-260 to amend something. I am considering if I should also change the interview location to the US (from CP to AOS). Thanks for your advice.

No one can predict what will happen next. But if I were you I would choose AOS, which seems to be safer in this situation. I myself have gone through AOS process in dv 2019 ..

What is your current status and duration of stay in the US?

Are you already based in the US?

No one can predict what will happen next. But if I were you I would choose AOS, which seems to be safer in this situation. I myself have gone through AOS process in dv 2019 ..

OP can’t AOS if not currently based in the US in a valid status.

Hello Everyone
Does anyone know whether they will check if an applicant has any kinds of loans and if this could play a part in accepting or rejecting the applicant at the end? Also, if you are one person that was selected in the DV lottery for further processing, is there still a rule that you need to have about 10,000 USD at the time of your interview?
Thanks for your answers in advance!

May I ask why? If they enter with a valid visa they can go the AOS route, right?

No they cannot enter the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS, that is considered a fraudulent misuse of a NIV.

AOS is intended for people already residing in the US prior to the decision to file AOS was made. In addition, as related to DV, selectee needs to already be in the US prior to the discovery of being a DV selectee.

No they cannot enter the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS, that is considered a fraudulent misuse of a NIV.

AOS is intended for people already residing in the US prior to the decision to file AOS was made. In addition, as related to DV, selectee needs to already be in the US prior to the discovery of being a DV selectee.
So someone cannot enter the country now, DV 2021 selectee, under a different kind of visa WITHOUT the intent of AOS; but in the future for X reason change his mind and adjust status? What could happen then?

I do not know anyone in that situation, I just had that doubt because I read this thread and it contradicted something I read on Visajourney. So since you guys know more than I do, I am curious.

So someone cannot enter the country now, DV 2021 selectee, under a different kind of visa WITHOUT the intent of AOS; but in the future for X reason change his mind and adjust status? What could happen then?

I do not know anyone in that situation, I just had that doubt because I read this thread and it contradicted something I read on Visajourney. So since you guys know more than I do, I am curious.

Please read my response carefully. Preconceived intent of filing AOS prior to being admitted into the US is considered a fraudulent misuse of of a NIV.

In general a person could enter the US on a NIV, following which they experience a change in circumstance (after being admitted into the US), they will be okay to file AOS in that case. That is not what the OP has indicated here.

When it comes to DV2021 selectee right now, based on the current proclamation, it is obvious any such selectee who decides to enter the US is harboring a preconceived AOS intent.

And like I previously stated, for DV based AOS, there’s the clause re legally residing in the US as at the time of being selected which is required in order to be AOS eligible:

Diversity Visa Winners Legally Residing In the United States: Apply Through USCIS
There are, however, a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status. For these winners residing inside the United States, USCIS processes adjustment of status applications.”

USCIS Diversity Visa Lotter

Please read my response carefully. Preconceived intent of filing AOS prior to being admitted into the US is considered a fraudulent misuse of of a NIV.

In general a person could enter the US on a NIV, following which they experience a change in circumstance (after being admitted into the US), they will be okay to file AOS in that case. That is not what the OP has indicated here.

When it comes to DV2021 selectee right now, based on the current proclamation, it is obvious any such selectee who decides to enter the US is harboring a preconceived AOS intent.

And like I previously stated, for DV based AOS, there’s the clause re legally residing in the US as at the time of being selected which is required in order to be AOS eligible:

Diversity Visa Winners Legally Residing In the United States: Apply Through USCIS
There are, however, a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status. For these winners residing inside the United States, USCIS processes adjustment of status applications.”

USCIS Diversity Visa Lotter
Gotcha!! They were told that they could get their NIV denied at the embassy because they could understand that once their number became current they would adjust status. I think they needed to travel before October so they told them that they could AOS once their number became current

Gotcha!! They were told that they could get their NIV denied at the embassy because they could understand that once their number became current they would adjust status. I think they needed to travel before October so they told them that they could AOS once their number became current

I do visit VJ myself, and I’m yet to come across any thread where they’ve encouraged anyone to fraudulently abuse a NIV as you’ve described here, they’re pretty good at moderating that site. I’m interested in reading this thread for my self, so can you share the link or state the forum it was posted under in VJ?

I do visit VJ myself, and I’m yet to come across any thread where they’ve encouraged anyone to fraudulently abuse a NIV as you’ve described here, they’re pretty good at moderating that site. I’m interested in reading this thread for my self, so can you share the link or state the forum it was posted under in VJ?
If it’s the thread I’m thinking of, the person was going to apply for a student visa and was being warned of a strong chance of denial due to suspicion he would AOS from his student visa (academic year begins before the fiscal year will).

Last edited:
I did not say they encouraged anyone to do so; what I read was that the embassy will think that as it is the most logical route and that they should wait to see what was going to happen with the ban and, if extended, get the F1 and then decide.

If it’s the thread I’m thinking of, the person was going to apply for a student visa was being warned of a strong chance of denial due to suspicion he would AOS from his student visa (academic year begins before the fiscal year will).
Seems to be the same one. Yes. I have been keeping an eye on it to see if they updated, now the ban is in place seems F1 is the only way to begin the academic year