• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Thank you for your answer. Can they make me dependent on their IRS tax filing? Is there any way around this you can think of?

Of course not. You’re not a member of your sponsor’s household. Just fill out the I-944 as applicable to you, with your information. It has nothing to do with your sponsor.

You’ll politely listen to whatever the frontline rep has to say first and if you’re not satisfied with the response, you (again politely) request to be connected to a level 2 rep.

Here is a bad news and update about my situation now:

My case number became current in Jan, but because some of my documents were not ready, I filed and sent my case on Feb 12. Then I waited for about a month for my fingerprint and NOA letters. Never received them, following your suggestion on March 18th, I talked to level 2 rep. They said we sent your case, and it was not delivered (my case status also changed to "Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It"). They told me your appointment was scheduled for March 10, but the post was not able to deliver your letter! We checked my address and it was correct! I've received letters before from USCUS.

And now here is the update: :(
They said we schedule another one for March 31 and send you a new letter today (on March 18), BUT today again in online status it is updated as of March 23 and again it says: "Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It". What should I do now?

Please help me, I have no idea what should I do moving forward, I have a feeling I cannot get my GC before the end of the process (considering COVID 19 as well). I probably should have finished my interview by now, but I am still stuck in the first steps. What if this problem of posting letter continues for the rest of the process as well?!

PS: Still there is no "document" tab in my account.

My case number became current in Jan, but because some of my documents were not ready, I filed and sent my case on Feb 12. Then I waited for about a month for my fingerprint and NOA letters. Never received them, following your suggestion on March 18th, I talked to level 2 rep. They said we sent your case, and it was not delivered (my case status also changed to "Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It"). They told me your appointment was scheduled for March 10, but the post was not able to deliver your letter! We checked my address and it was correct! I've received letters before from USCUS.

They said we schedule another one for March 31 and send you a new letter today (on March 18), BUT today again in online status it is updated as of March 23 and again it says: "Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It". What should I do now?

Please help me, I have no idea what should I do moving forward, I have a feeling I cannot get my GC before the end of the process (considering COVID 19 as well). I probably should have finished my interview by now, but I am still stuck in the first steps. What if this problem of posting letter continues for the rest of the process as well?!

Call them again! Request to speak with a L2 rep again! You have to keep calling. Ask them to email or fax a copy of your the Bio notice since it never got delivered (and the NOA which you need for your records by the way). Although I doubt you would have been able to attend the Mar. 31st since their offices are currently closed to the public.

There’s got to be something wrong with the way your address was written if USPS keeps returning the USCIS documents as undeliverable while you’ve been getting other mail delivery by USPS. Is the mailing address on your I-485 your home address where you normally receive all your mail?

1. By the way, did your AOS administrative fee receipt eventually show up in the mail? I recall you previously posted about not getting that receipt also.
2. Are you living on campus? If yes, does your campus housing have you formally listed as a resident?
3. Are you using your department’s address as your mailing address?

1. By the way, did your AOS administrative fee receipt eventually show up in the mail? I recall you previously posted about not getting that receipt also.
2. Are you living on campus? If yes, does your campus housing have you formally listed as a resident?
3. Are you using your department’s address as your mailing address?

I just realized the number in my address in I485 is wrong! Seems every time they were confirming it with me on the phone, they were mentioning the right one, and that's why I never realized it! I totally messed up and now I think it cost me not being able to get my GC, which I could have in hand by now:(
What's the status of the Corona issue? They are all closed and not continuing the interviews and fingerprint anymore, right? Considering that our cases are time sensitive, we'll have a great chance of missing the deadlines and not getting our GC? Can we maybe make emmergency appointments or somehting?

I just realized the number in my address in I485 is wrong! Seems every time they were confirming it with me on the phone, they were mentioning the right one, and that's why I never realized it! I totally messed up and now I think it cost me not being able to get my GC, which I could have in hand by now:(
What's the status of the Corona issue? They are all closed and not continuing the interviews and fingerprint anymore, right? Considering that our cases are time sensitive, we'll have a great chance of missing the deadlines and not getting our GC? Can we maybe make emmergency appointments or somehting?
take a deep breath! Yes USCIS offices are closed for face to face interviews for the time being. If they are still closed in 6 months time (which is what would prevent you getting a green card) you’ll probably have much bigger things to be worried about.

We sent our package two weeks after you and got a bio appointment for the 31st of March (waiting for the next letter to come for an updated time).
Just wanted to say that our USCIS account does not have a "document" tab as well and no updates have been made (either on the webpage or SMS or email) but we got the bio letter in the mail.
So all and all I think you need to practice some patience and sort out your address first. There are lots of us that have not yet sent their packages, so your not alone in this boat.

This error HAS NOT cost you the GC - at least not yet considering the FY still has roughly 6 months left, so calm down and breath.

First things first - Call back again and speak to a level 2, inform them you wrongly listed your address on your I-485 which explains why you’ve not received any of the mailed documents. Request for them to update the address while you’re on the call with them. Then ask to know when a new bio notice is likely to be mailed out.

Mom, I'm in the process of getting an equivalency report for my HS diploma as required by the I-944 form. However, the company that I sent my documents to is halting its services and my report may not be completed until the stay-at-home order is lifted. Could you advise on options below:

a. Get evaluation from a different company that's still operating right now. I may not be able to use any companies listed as part of NACES (which is linked in the I-944 form) because all of those companies require original documents, which are currently at the company that I sent my evaluation to.
b. Send my AOS package without the evaluation, hoping that USCIS will not ask for it since I have a B.S. degree from a U.S. institution. I'm afraid that if in the rare case that an interview is not required (as have been discussed recently in this forum) and that my package is deemed incomplete, that my application will be denied on that basis.
c. Wait for the evaluation to finish, but I don't know how long they're gonna take. I have to file my AOS before my medical exam expires.

This error HAS NOT cost you the GC - at least not yet considering the FY still has roughly 6 months left, so calm down and breath.

First things first - Call back again and speak to a level 2, inform them you wrongly listed your address on your I-485 which explains why you’ve not received any of the mailed documents. Request for them to update the address while you’re on the call with them. Then ask to know when a new bio notice is likely to be mailed out.
Thank you so much for all the information you provide in this forum. I wouldn't know what I should have done without you and this forum.
I talked today with Level 2 rep, and asked him to update my address. He also mentioned updating my address online, form AR11, which I also did. He said there is no estimate for sending out a new appointment, at least they won't do it till April 1. After that he said we will arrange a new appointment and will send you a new one. I think it's the best I call them again on April 1, right?

Mom, I'm in the process of getting an equivalency report for my HS diploma as required by the I-944 form. However, the company that I sent my documents to is halting its services and my report may not be completed until the stay-at-home order is lifted. Could you advise on options below:

a. Get evaluation from a different company that's still operating right now. I may not be able to use any companies listed as part of NACES (which is linked in the I-944 form) because all of those companies require original documents, which are currently at the company that I sent my evaluation to.
b. Send my AOS package without the evaluation, hoping that USCIS will not ask for it since I have a B.S. degree from a U.S. institution. I'm afraid that if in the rare case that an interview is not required (as have been discussed recently in this forum) and that my package is deemed incomplete, that my application will be denied on that basis.
c. Wait for the evaluation to finish, but I don't know how long they're gonna take. I have to file my AOS before my medical exam expires.

As you know, use of I-944 is quite new, so I honestly can’t guide as to which of the above laid out option is the best - you’ll have to roll the dice on this on your own.

Quick comment on option b though - in a situation such as this, the FO will not go ahead and deny a case they were considering approving without an interview because the package is incomplete. They just wouldn’t be able to approve the case as is, they will therefore send a RFE, or schedule an interview to enable the petitioner submit the missing document.

Thank you so much for all the information you provide in this forum. I wouldn't know what I should have done without you and this forum.
I talked today with Level 2 rep, and asked him to update my address. He also mentioned updating my address online, form AR11, which I also did. He said there is no estimate for sending out a new appointment, at least they won't do it till April 1. After that he said we will arrange a new appointment and will send you a new one. I think it's the best I call them again on April 1, right?

Yes you should.

I had all my degrees evaluated by a non-NACES member. It was super fast and affordable. I hope they won't question it. Unfortunately as you said almost all NACES members ask for official documents and they are expensive and very sluggish. I believe that evaluation requirements related to I-944 shouldn't be as strict as what we see in the case of H1B or employment-based visa categories where an applicant has to prove that they are educationally eligible for these kinds of visas. That being said, do it at your own risk.

Last edited:
As you know, use of I-944 is quite new, so I honestly can’t guide as to which of the above laid out option is the best - you’ll have to roll the dice on this on your own.

Quick comment on option b though - in a situation such as this, the FO will not go ahead and deny a case they were considering approving without an interview because the package is incomplete. They just wouldn’t be able to approve the case as is, they will therefore send a RFE, or schedule an interview to enable the petitioner submit the missing document.
Thank you mom. Hopefully they won’t be too strict about the NACES requirement. I think I’m going to go with option a. @2020AS00011xxx which evaluation service did you use?

Thank you mom. Hopefully they won’t be too strict about the NACES requirement. I think I’m going to go with option a. @2020AS00011xxx which evaluation service did you use?
Validential Corp. (validential.com)
They may lure you into having a course-by-course evaluation which I believe is unnecessary and expensive. I just chose their general evaluation which is $75/document.

We filled 2 credit forms.

You used form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions? Considering this form is for credit card payments, how were you able to tell $1,225 was withdrawn and subsequently returned to your account on 3/18? AFAIK, when it comes to Credit card transactions, refunds typically take several days/weeks to go through/show up.

USCIS Temporary Office Closure Extended until at least April 7

On March 18, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services temporarily suspended in-person services at its field offices, asylum offices, and Application Support Centers (ASCs) to help slow the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). USCIS offices will reopen on April 7 unless the public closures are extended further. Employees in these offices are continuing to perform mission-essential services that do not require face-to-face contact with the public.

Yes we filled two G-1450 forms. Well, this is how it showed in our online account. the money was withdrawn by Chicago lockbox then returned and our balance remains the same. I have no idea what exactly happened