• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi,

I am in the US as an L1-A visa holder.
My case number for the DV 2020 lottery is 30***.
I switched to the CP process in December. However, the embassy in Moscow is closed, currently.

All people that were supposed to have interviews in March have 15*** -20*** numbers, will be waiting until May-June.
I presume it will bring at least a 2,5-month delay.

I'm thinking to return to the AOS process, as the current number for May is about 30 000.
I hope my number (30***) will be current in early June.

Would you recommend doing that? If so, why?

Below is a previous response I provided to a similar question from another forum member, that’s as much as I can say:

I would rather not sway you one way or the other, this is something you’ll have to figure out on your own - look at the pros and cons of the two processes, take into consideration the current COVID-19 virus spread and its impact on both FOs/ASCs in the US and US embassies abroad, current administration’s anti immigration stance and their fluid policy changes, etc when making your decision on what to do.

High CNs that became current as late as September have gone through AOS successfully except for when they ran out of visas, which is not the case this FY by the way.

Dear @Sm1smom,

On the spreadsheet, form I-944 is under principle applicant's documents, but on instructions to form I-485 it says that everyone needs to fill I-944 (to prove not being on public charge). Should each derivative also fill I-944?

Thank you in advance.

You do realize the whole story sounds like BS, and most likely is BS, right? Please don't propagate silly rumors based on something you have no idea is true or not. It's not helpful.

That was my conclusion especially based on the timelines provided.

I personally didn't know them. l

Oh... i think we got a different impression when you said

With all due respect, I personally know two diversity visa cases from Iran ....

I personally didn't know them. I stumbled upon them on social media and reached out to them. I asked them many questions except their FOs. Lol

You “personally” don’t know them, but you previously claimed you “personally know” them:
With all due respect, I personally know two diversity visa cases from Iran who had already submitted their form DS-260 and then applied for student visa, entered the US in August 2019, submitted their I-485, had their interviews at the same day and got their green cards at the same day too.

I knew your post was nothing but some BS story right from the beginning which is why I asked for the DV year and the FO. We know for a fact that Iranian DV selectees tend to undergo prolonged processing, be it AOS or CP, so your story about two Iranian students entering the US in August 2019, followed by AOS submission and approval by Sept. 30th 2019 (one month processing???) couldn’t be possibly true. I was prepared to keep asking you questions that would eventually force you to fess up like you just did.

You really should think twice about propagating stories you can’t substantiate, trying to pass them on as the gospel truth. It is not helpful at all, stories like this can get those who choose to rely on them in trouble. Do be aware this type of behavior may cause you to loose out on the free guidance readily available to you in this forum as you go through the process yourself.

Dear @Sm1smom,

On the spreadsheet, form I-944 is under principle applicant's documents, but on instructions to form I-485 it says that everyone needs to fill I-944 (to prove not being on public charge). Should each derivative also fill I-944?

Thank you in advance.

Everyone submitting an I-485, both main selectee and derivative(s), is required to include an I-944 with the AOS package.

Hi,
I have a question and I appreciate if anyone has solutions.

Background:
– We are in USA now and I'm in F-1 visa (Now, I've already submitted OPT application but not get EAD yet) and my wife is F-2.
– Our case number is AS183** (Current in May), and both of us already submitted DS260 and I submitted all supporting documents to KCC.
– We picked CP option now.

Question:
Since the coronavirus issue, we know US embassy and USCIS are both suspended interviews.
– Is it better for our situation that we change from CP to AOS?
– What's the best time for us to file the document if we change to AOS (File our documents right now or wait until USCIS reopens)? Is it possible that AOS application affects my OPT process?

I really appreciate it if you can help us! Thanks a lot!

Hi,
I have a question and I appreciate if anyone has solutions.

Background:
– We are in USA now and I'm in F-1 visa (Now, I've already submitted OPT application but not get EAD yet) and my wife is F-2.
– Our case number is AS183** (Current in May), and both of us already submitted DS260 and I submitted all supporting documents to KCC.
– We picked CP option now.

Question:
Since the coronavirus issue, we know US embassy and USCIS are both suspended interviews.
– Is it better for our situation that we change from CP to AOS?
– What's the best time for us to file the document if we change to AOS (File our documents right now or wait until USCIS reopens)? Is it possible that AOS application affects my OPT process?

I really appreciate it if you can help us! Thanks a lot!

1. I can’t tell you which option will be better for you, you’ll have to figure that out on your own, you might want to take a look though my recent response to a similar question:
I would rather not sway you one way or the other, this is something you’ll have to figure out on your own - look at the pros and cons of the two processes, take into consideration the current COVID-19 virus spread and its impact on both FOs/ASCs in the US and US embassies abroad, current administration’s anti immigration stance and their fluid policy changes, etc when making your decision on what to do.

High CNs that became current as late as September have gone through AOS successfully except for when they ran out of visas, which is not the case this FY by the way.
Mind you, you’ll need to inform KCC if you plan on switching from CP to AOS.

2a. USCIS offices aren’t open, just not open to the general public, which means they’re still working and processing documents - so that answers the first part of your question.
2b. That hasn’t been known to happen in the past.

1. I can’t tell you which option will be better for you, you’ll have to figure that out on your own, you might want to take a look though my recent response to a similar question:

2a. USCIS offices aren’t open, just not open to the general public, which means they’re still working and processing documents - so that answers the first part of your question.

Thank you very much for your reply! We intend to choose AOS.
If possible, would you give us one more advice that if we should file AOS application as soon as possible? or wait until USCIS opens to the public?

Thank you very much again and stay healthy!

Thank you very much for your reply! We intend to choose AOS.
If possible, would you give us one more advice that if we should file AOS application as soon as possible? or wait until USCIS opens to the public?

Thank you very much again and stay healthy!

I think I’ve already answered this question as best as I can, in my previous response to you. Since filing now equates to early filing, the only thing I can add to what I already wrote will be to encourage you to review the AOS process spreadsheet and decide if you want to do early filing or wait until the first day of the month in which your CN becomes current.

If you’re willing to take the slight possibility of a rejection or denial that comes with early filing, then you can go ahead and file now.

Thanks for your comment. I do appreciate your time on this forum.
So, basically, I can do nothing but wait and finger-crossed until CP processing restart again... Otherwise, my studying in USA engineering graduate school is vanishing because I can not get F1 visa due to submitting DS260 before.

I think I’ve already answered this question as best as I can, in my previous response to you. Since filing now equates to early filing, the only thing I can add to what I already wrote will be to encourage you to review the AOS process spreadsheet and decide if you want to do early filing or wait until the first day of the month in which your CN becomes current.

If you’re willing to take the slight possibility of a rejection or denial that comes with early filing, then you can go ahead and file now.

Thanks a lot!

Hello everyone,
I am going to submit my AOS package in a few days. I have two questions:
1- I have my tax return processed and my refund was sent to me but my tax return transcript on its way to me but I am not sure when it will be delivered. Can I answer 'yes' to question about filing tax return and send my package without 2019 tax transcript ? (I hadn't filed any tax return previous years)

2- Can they do background check before biometrics or background check starts after doing biometrics? Because I know for CP cases people have their biometrics at the time of interview and many people can get their visas at the same day.

Hello everyone,
I am going to submit my AOS package in a few days. I have two questions:
1- I have my tax return processed and my refund was sent to me but my tax return transcript on its way to me but I am not sure when it will be delivered. Can I answer 'yes' to question about filing tax return and send my package without 2019 tax transcript ? (I hadn't filed any tax return previous years)

2- Can they do background check before biometrics or background check starts after doing biometrics? Because I know for CP cases people have their biometrics at the time of interview and many people can get their visas at the same day.

1. Yes you should answer “Yes” if you already filed. What’s wrong waiting a couple of days to get the tax transcripts before mailing AOS package?

2. Background check for AOS is only initiated after bio completion. Background check for CP is a two-stage after, initial background check is initiated prior to the interview, additional check is carried out after bio gets captured at the interview.

Hello,
I am filling I-944 form. My sponsor signed the affidavit of support I-134 one week ago.
My question is if I can include my sponsor as my household? According to the poverty guidelines, she (my sponsor) should have an income more than 21000 dollars to support me, which she has. The person supporting me is my 1-st cousin. Can I use my sponsor as my household?
I am attaching a picture showing what are the conditions for a person to be included as a household.
Up until now my mom has supported me with money, but now we are a little short on them and we cannot satisfy none of the poverty guidelines conditions if we don't include my sponsor.
I am looking forward to your reply!

Screenshot_1.png

1. Yes you should answer “Yes” if you already filed. What’s wrong waiting a couple of days to get the tax transcripts before mailing AOS package?

2. Background check for AOS is only initiated after bio completion. Background check for CP is a two-stage after, initial background check is initiated prior to the interview, additional check is carried out after bio gets captured at the interview.

Thank you for your response. So literally nothing in terms of processing will happen if I send in my application to USCIS as long as no biometrics is scheduled ?

Hello,
I am filling I-944 form. My sponsor signed the affidavit of support I-134 one week ago.
My question is if I can include my sponsor as my household? According to the poverty guidelines, she (my sponsor) should have an income more than 21000 dollars to support me, which she has. The person supporting me is my 1-st cousin. Can I use my sponsor as my household?
I am attaching a picture showing what are the conditions for a person to be included as a household.
Up until now my mom has supported me with money, but now we are a little short on them and we cannot satisfy none of the poverty guidelines conditions if we don't include my sponsor.
I am looking forward to your reply!

View attachment 1543

Your sponsor cannot be listed as a member of your household since you don’t claim them as a dependent on your tax filing. They can’t count you as a member of their household either if they’re not claiming you as a dependent on their IRS tax filing.

Thank you for your response. So literally nothing in terms of processing will happen if I send in my application to USCIS as long as no biometrics is scheduled ?

Not sure what you mean by literally nothing happens in terms of processing. Of course something happens, you just may not see it from your end as a filer. Your package gets separated and processed by the Chicago Lockbox, petition(s) gets forwarded to the NBC for review, gets put in the queue (possibly scheduled for the next available bio slot appointment pending ASC office re-opening), you get sent the NOA, I-485 gets forwarded to applicable FO, FO possibly reviewing, managing workload, reviewing interview schedule process, etc.

Your sponsor cannot be listed as a member of your household since you don’t claim them as a dependent on your tax filing. They can’t count you as a member of their household either if they’re not claiming you as a dependent on their IRS tax filing.
Thank you for your answer. Can they make me dependent on their IRS tax filing? Is there any way around this you can think of?