• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Today's graduation from Team "stuck in bio"

MA / 8/3 bio / X
CA / 8/4 bio / O
TX / 8/7 bio / O

TX / 8/13 bio / O
NY / 8/13 bio / X
CA/ 8/19 bio / O

FYI
Among the team, almost everyone has taken an action like below.
  • Service request (USCIS) >> "wait" seems to be a common answer between us.
  • Congressional inquiry (either house representative or senator, or both)
Plus, some people have requested
  • USCIS ombudsman's request
  • Lawyer's help (I heard the lawyer has to have a strong connection with the local FO)

Now, that is a new. I don’t recall coming across a situation where the DV categories got mixed up on the GC. I’m guessing you’ll need to apply for replacement GC at USCIS’s expense (since the error is from their end). I suggest calling the 1800 number first though, and possibly speak with a tier two personnel about this before.
This is interesting. In our case, main applicant has “DV6”, husband “DV7” and both kids “DV8” categories. I thought this is normal before reading your post. Should we also contact with tier2 regarding this?

UPD. I googled after my post and find out that our categories looks fine based on the information from here: https://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/id...nMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName=cm_0010181503

Last edited:
I don't understand what your question is, which step are you on now??
Did you send the AOS package?
Did you have Bio letter??
Which FO you are??
or......
You have to offer more info let people know how to help you.

Hello, i have send all the requested documents to KCC, i was waiting for their feedback when the covid19 issue happened

Hey guys,
It is over a week now, no change on my status. I am really worried. Is there same situations after being interviewed? Most of you guys knew that you will be approved, but officer was very strict with me and didn’t say anything. Is it a bad sign? thank you

It took two weeks after the interview for our case status to progress to "New Card Is Being Produced".

Hello, i have send all the requested documents to KCC, i was waiting for their feedback when the covid19 issue happened
All the AOS package should be filed to USCIS Chicago Lockbox not KCC.
Your old post#6,133 only ask for help but didn't offer any info. As I said, you have to offer more information about your case.
Did you read the spreadsheet?? The #1 post https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2020-aos-only.340762/
(I may not able to back to here this weekend, hopefully someone can help you)

Last edited:

You’re posting on the wrong thread. This thread is for people already living in the US and are processing AOS

Thanks, I will definitely update the spreadsheet later. I have one more question about KCC. Maybe I should contact them from Monday and ask about our files? And how can I call or contact them to find out about our files?

There are instructions on how to contact the KCC on your 1NL.

Hi mom @Sm1smom , I have a question.
I realized I used pubic benefits before. It's Medi-cal. I think three times at parenthood in four years. Last time was last year. Those were non cash benefits. So I don't know how much they cost each time. I paid my medicine though. My friend mentioned about this today that was one of public benefits.
I already submitted i-944, and I checked "No" for all public benefits question.
I have my interview next week so I'm gonna bring this card and I'll fill out the public benefits page on i-944. Anything else what I should do ?
I sent I-134 with I-485 and I-944 for financial support. My boyfriend who is citizen filled out and submitted some evidence.

Nothing else outside of what you’re already planning on doing.

This is interesting. In our case, main applicant has “DV6”, husband “DV7” and both kids “DV8” categories. I thought this is normal before reading your post. Should we also contact with tier2 regarding this?

UPD. I googled after my post and find out that our categories looks fine based on the information from here: https://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/id...nMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName=cm_0010181503

You read my post, wrongly interpreted it and panicked. Yes of course, there’s nothing wrong with your assigned DV categories. That’s not the same case as @mmmb

Hi mom @Sm1smom,

I wanted to share my experience with my interview at Alexandria, Virginia on September 9. I came in and then was asked almost immediately to come meet the officer. Like @WaitingAoS my officer was very neutral and polite. We went over the form I-485 and then she asked if I wanted to provide any additional documentations. I gave her my tax return for this year, W-2 forms, and new I-20s that I got from school. Afterwards we went over the I-944 form very throughly. She asked me if I had insurance for this month since I stopped working (my OPT ended on August 14) and I showed her my eligibility letters from my health insurance. She then asked to see my most recent bank statements, which I gave her. She then asked:
1. Where are you planning to work
2. Are you planning to pursue further studies

Afterwards she gave me a paper and like to @MNA2020 told me that my case will be under review. The next day my online portal said that my case is under review. Today I called KCC today and they said that they forwarded my documents on September 10 and when I called the USCIS about the status of my background check the officer told me she can not disclose that information.

Thank you again for your support mom @Sm1smom and @MNA2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.40.34 am.png

Huge wave of relief, but firstly, some admin:

Los Angeles FO, J-1 AoS chargeable to Oceania
6/18 Application received (Chicago lockbox)
6/29 Payment processed (credit card)
7/01 Acceptance text received
7/07 Notice of Action received in mail
8/03 Biometrics appointment letter received in mail
8/17 Biometrics appointment attended
8/24 Interview appointment letter received in mail
9/08 Interview date (attended, but asked to return next day)
9/09 Interview took place (outcome: application held for review)
9/11 New Card Is Being Produced (EGov.USCIS)

FYI I never saw any updates on My.USCIS, only on EGov.USCIS.

Now, for the thanks. As you all know, the DV process is one of the lesser-known immigration processes, and AoS, even more obscure, due to the very limited number of people who go through it. Add to that, what we've all been through this year, with Covid, and I was stuck in a really uncertain place, when the April EO came in. I want to thank @Britsimon for his excellent blog, his effort in putting it together, and tirelessly replying, and his helpful videos, keeping us all abreast of what is happening in the arcane world of DV. Through his blog, I came to this forum, where I got to enjoy all the resources, and the community available. So thank you to not only the usual suspects, @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for your sustained, patient efforts in helping so many strangers with something having such a large impact on their lives, but also to all the members on here, who contributed with their experiences, and all the Q&A that took place, allowing more passive members like myself to continually learn about the process, and more importantly- the process in context of the abject shitshow 2020 has been. It was a relief to find some of the very few people going through the same thing as me, and to hear from you all. Special shoutout to @val94 for beating the forum into shape, to ensure better data for future applicants :); and also to the Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna, for hosting this wonderful resource.

I'm looking forward to a long sleep, and a longer celebration, this weekend, for the time being; but also to seeing some of you again, in 4-5 years, when we're applying for citizenship :D

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on this forum, and if anyone wants to tag or PM me, about specific information, I'll be happy to reply.
Also, if any of you are in LA, when this whole Covid business is over, and want to grab a drink, and discuss our new lives in America, let me know :p

I would like to update my situation and will appreciate opinion. Thank you in advance.

I did interview and fingerprints on the same day (7/23). For the biometrics, I didn't receive a letter, but they did all at FO.
After that my case status went to "finger prints were taken".

Because I had to go to FO to submit birth certificate again on 7/28, I did so and the status changed to "New Card is Being produced".
On the next day, 29th , "Case was Approved".

This Monday, I received I797, approval notice AND biometrics interview letter at the same time. the appointment date at ASC is set on 8/14.

I called USCIS office today if this is a mistake. The officer said "the best advice I can give is to show up so that it won't affect negatively on your case".
I asked for someone who knows better. He told me to call tomorrow moring to ask for higher rank officer (is it Tier 2?).
I will call tomorrow. Is it worth calling?

I am confused if this is just a computer error or actually the biometrics they did (10 fingers&picure& signature) wasn't counted so I have to do it again.
I was going to wait for the card to be produced and arrive before 8/14, but if not I don't want to ignore the appointment which I don't know if I have to show up.
Hi I'm not sure if you still see this but I need your advice.
I'm japanese, I also got my birth certificate from consulate general of Japan Los Angeles. So I have original 戸籍謄本 in my hands but this is in japanese. How could you get translated your 戸籍謄本? I sent the birth certificate to USCIS but if it's not acceptable I need to bring the original one with translation.
Is it okay if I ask my friend who is us citizen and can speak japanese fluently?

Hi I'm not sure if you still see this but I need your advice.
I'm japanese, I also got my birth certificate from consulate general of Japan Los Angeles. So I have original 戸籍謄本 in my hands but this is in japanese. How could you get translated your 戸籍謄本? I sent the birth certificate to USCIS but if it's not acceptable I need to bring the original one with translation.
Is it okay if I ask my friend who is us citizen and can speak japanese fluently?

There are a few more Japanese people applying AOS this year and I am one of them.
I asked my friend to translate Koseki Tohon into English one by one and made the the translation certificate signed by her.
So you will need Original Koseki Tohon as well as translated document plus translation certification by fluent Japanese/English people.

What Asianlilly had the issue was FO didn't accept the English birth certificate made by Japanese Consulate/Embassy even.
You can send me message directly if you have questions.

There are a few more Japanese people applying AOS this year and I am one of them.
I asked my friend to translate Koseki Tohon into English one by one and made the the translation certificate signed by her.
So you will need Original Koseki Tohon as well as translated document plus translation certification by fluent Japanese/English people.

What Asianlilly had the issue was FO didn't accept the English birth certificate made by Japanese Consulate/Embassy even.
You can send me message directly if you have questions.

Thank you so much!
I'll sent DM !

Congratulation! :)
My interview was last friday and still no progress on my status ("fingerprint...")... this waiting time is unbearable...

I must say it was a major relief.
We were in the same spot - fingerprints taken in March, no word since then until the August interview, no update to the website until the update this week.

After this smaller setback, that I've had with USPS, I am glad to tell you that I have finally received my card in the mail this morning!

Now that I'm officially at the end of this road, I want to, once again, thank from the bottom of my heart everyone at this forum, and especially @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ and @Britsimon for amazing dedication and great work that they are doing for all of us here.

I also wish that all of you still in the process will sucesfully finish it and have your cards in the mail as soon as possible!

Hi all, I have received my GC on Wednesday! Thanks everyone and especially @Sm1smom ! It has been a great journey!

I have two questions after receiving the GC.

1. I rented a PO box for receiving the related mails and GC. After receiving the GC, I assume I don't need to use the PO Box anymore. I am curious about whether I should update the mailing address to USCIS? I know that for the physical address, if you move, you need to update the physical address. But I am not sure about the mailing address...? (My physical address remains the same.)

2. I saw people are discussing the DV categories, I found out mine is "DV1". I googled and found out that it is the category for new arrival?? I am not sure whether mine is correct or not...I thought it should be for adjustment?

Thanks again!

Hi mom @Sm1smom,

I wanted to share my experience with my interview at Alexandria, Virginia on September 9. I came in and then was asked almost immediately to come meet the officer. Like @WaitingAoS my officer was very neutral and polite. We went over the form I-485 and then she asked if I wanted to provide any additional documentations. I gave her my tax return for this year, W-2 forms, and new I-20s that I got from school. Afterwards we went over the I-944 form very throughly. She asked me if I had insurance for this month since I stopped working (my OPT ended on August 14) and I showed her my eligibility letters from my health insurance. She then asked to see my most recent bank statements, which I gave her. She then asked:
1. Where are you planning to work
2. Are you planning to pursue further studies

Afterwards she gave me a paper and like to @MNA2020 told me that my case will be under review. The next day my online portal said that my case is under review. Today I called KCC today and they said that they forwarded my documents on September 10 and when I called the USCIS about the status of my background check the officer told me she can not disclose that information.

Thank you again for your support mom @Sm1smom and @MNA2020

Thanks for the detailed updated. You went in prepared for the interview, that was great.