• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Hey people,
I had to unlock the DS260, now that I'm done editing it should I re-submit it or send an email to the KCC asking them to lock it?
Might be a dumb question as the KCC after unlocking told me:
"Please note that unlocked DS-260s should be resubmitted as soon as the necessary changes are made"
But I thought I ask anyway

Resubmit once you’re done updating, that locks it up just like the original submission locked it up.

Hi everyone. Who shall I write in case I don`t receive notification or e-mail with the link to upload docs. I`ve read on the forum that you can simply send your documents without that notification, but still confused is there something like e-mail address or you send physical copies?

All inquiries goes to the KCC. Contact information and directions on how to contact them are all on your 1NL.

However note, it is quite early for DV2020 selectees to start submitting documents unsolicited. KCC is currently dealing with DV2019 selectees.

I don't know about the answer but I think they are not like robots, if you get an interview you can clarify the situation and I think they have all means to verify what you are saying. I think your situation is a detail at this stage but could be very important once you are in front of the interviewer

It’s not a matter of them being robots or not. It is better to provide as much accurate information as possible upfront before meeting the CO. You don’t want to create the impression some pertinent information is being withheld. Plus you may not have as much time as you think you do once you get in front of them on your interview day before a decision is made.

On the other side, as for me, I did include, in the "have you been ever denied entry to the US" section, the "refusal of admission" in the DS260 explaining everything in the comment box including my canadian visa number too (so they can verify it), am I doing it correctly?

Yes.

Hi!

I'm a DV2020 (EU) winner and I just found out that in the original entry I put my "first last name" as middle name and my "second last name" as last name, since I'm Spanish and most of us don't have middle name, but we all do have 2 last names... (the first of the father and the second one of the mother)

I know that in the DS260 I can (and I must ) put that correctly, but my question is, how is it decided whether or not this kind of errors (spelling, incorrect order, etc) may cause disqualification?

Is that decided at the time of the interview at the embassy or is it possible to not even get the chance of the interview because of this?

Thanks!

Hi everybody! and Congrats
Do I have to submit DS-260 forms for all derivative in my case even though they are not immigrating to USA? not even later. what if I submit for me only as principal applicants and not for derivatives? will my application be processed?

I had the same doubt on the “spouse” side, I’m legally separated and my case number opens up only one DS260 form (mine) and in that form I selected the 2 options “my spouse will not join me in the us” now or later, as I will file for the final step of the divorce as soon as possible. By ticking NO in those 2 questions did not have to input any further information about her.

Electronic copies are now required to be emailed in advance of being scheduled for an interview
Yes, I figured... But are they not supposed to request them after processing ds-260 which I've already sent? Or should I just send documents without their request?

Yes, I figured... But are they not supposed to request them after processing ds-260 which I've already sent? Or should I just send documents without their request?

I already preempted this question and responded a couple of posts above (now quoted below):

However note, it is quite early for DV2020 selectees to start submitting documents unsolicited. KCC is currently dealing with DV2019 selectees.

As mom says, they are still dealing with DV2019. Scheduling for the lowest case numbers for DV2020 only happens in August, months away yet. This is just not high priority for them right now. They are more focused with getting documents for and scheduling interviews of DV2019 selectees now. There is no point you sending anything now. Nothing will happen other than unnecessarily increasing KCC's current workload.

As mom says, they are still dealing with DV2019. Scheduling for the lowest case numbers for DV2020 only happens in August, months away yet. This is just not high priority for them right now. They are more focused with getting documents for and scheduling interviews of DV2019 selectees now. There is no point you sending anything now. Nothing will happen other than unnecessarily increasing KCC's current workload.

I had that question too, thank you for your answer.
Even if I wanted to submit my documents where/at which email address should I send them? Better to wait until KCC tells us which documents we have to send.

I just found out that I've put a wrong date in my HS diploma.... I attended the school from 2010 but I put 2011 instead.... should I contact KCC and ask them to re-unlock the DS260??

Sorry to double post, I couldn't edit my previous one.

Just wanted to add:
I want to submit my DS260 asap and then start collecting all the documents before I get the email from KCC asking me about them.
I want to do this in order to have everything ready since I have to take police certificates from 3 different countries and it might take a while for me to receive them. My concern is if they "expire".
If the date on those documents (translations included as some documents will be in Italian) is for example June 2019 and KCC asks for them 3 months later, are they still valid?

if I calculate all the years I studied: 5 years of elementary school + 3 years of junior high school (or "middle" school) + 3 years of High School, that's a total of 11 years, not 12. I don't know what the Counselor might tell me, laws in italy are different and we can get the high school diploma in less than 12 years. Now the DV website is actually pretty clear:"A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the United States"
so techincally my High School Diploma obtained trough a 3-years evening school should be good right?
I've read BritSimon post on his blog regarding this but it's from 2015, maybe something has changed.

Honestly- I would be a little concerned about this and the night school aspect. This has gone both ways in the past from reading various experiences. I’m thinking you may get away with it because as you say you wrote the exact same exam - but a lot will depend on how the CO looks at the specific requirements. I know for some country specific embassies, they explicitly say that part time high school does not count (example : https://al.usembassy.gov/visas/immi...tional-employment-qualification-requirements/) Unfortunately Italy only has a few hundred selectees for DV each year so it’s hard to find information, especially about non-standard routes.
Question: would your Italian HS diploma have allowed you entry into a US university? (I’m assuming yes - but asking because this is the guideline for DV, not a university in your home country.) That answer needs to be yes but by itself is not enough (for example in the US a GED allows you college entrance but is not acceptable for DV.) You didn’t mention a university degree so I’m assuming you don’t have one?

There are reports from German participants and selectees that have had successful interviews based on their 10-year schooling! They have 4 years elementary and 6 years secondary school in Germany. That was deemed equivalent to the US High school diploma apparently, even though that school certificate does NOT allow you to study at a German university. There are an additional 3 years to complete the higher exam that will allow you to study at a university.

For some reason, a large proportion of entries in Germany were going through a well known 'agency' that people pay money for to get their guidance, all the way to the interview in case of being selected. This agent even advertises this aspect of minimum German educational requirements that would be deemed acceptable.

So it seems every country's school system is being looked at differently.

Sorry to double post, I couldn't edit my previous one.

Just wanted to add:
I want to submit my DS260 asap and then start collecting all the documents before I get the email from KCC asking me about them.
I want to do this in order to have everything ready since I have to take police certificates from 3 different countries and it might take a while for me to receive them. My concern is if they "expire".
If the date on those documents (translations included as some documents will be in Italian) is for example June 2019 and KCC asks for them 3 months later, are they still valid?

Just in case you may not have known, but there are clear rules as to the validity of police certificates. Have you read through the official rules that can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ersity-visa-prepare-supporting-documents.html

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

Important: Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate was obtained more than one year ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.

There are reports from German participants and selectees that have had successful interviews based on their 10-year schooling! They have 4 years elementary and 6 years secondary school in Germany. That was deemed equivalent to the US High school diploma apparently, even though that school certificate does NOT allow you to study at a German university. There are an additional 3 years to complete the higher exam that will allow you to study at a university.

For some reason, a large proportion of entries in Germany were going through a well known 'agency' that people pay money for to get their guidance, all the way to the interview in case of being selected. This agent even advertises this aspect of minimum German educational requirements that would be deemed acceptable.

So it seems every country's school system is being looked at differently.
Interesting, sounds like someone in Germany is not paying attention. It’s a clear contradiction to the FAM, unless the requirements to get into German university are more difficult for Germans than getting into a US college (which, again, is the guideline).. @Britsimon , any thoughts?

Edit, as an example: U Colorado says “Students who complete the 13th year and receive the Abitur may be eligible to receive some university-level course credit.” Which means you don’t need the full 13 years for entry to US college. That may explain it. @OnTheGo , did any of these successful applicants you mention do evening or other part time high school? That was more my concern.

Last edited:
Congratulations to all DV2020 selectees.
After many years of applying, I finally got as BritSimonSays the 1 out of 200 chance to be selected this year.
Hopefully my number will get to the interview stage and I pray all selectees to get to the interview too and embark on this new phase in our lives.
Best of luck to all.

Just in case you may not have known, but there are clear rules as to the validity of police certificates. Have you read through the official rules that can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ersity-visa-prepare-supporting-documents.html
Thank you, I missed this link
Reading the link is clear but I called KCC to make sure I got it, I explained that lived in an African country for many years then left it since 209 and never went back there only for vacations (once a year for 2/3 weeks), the lady told me the police certificate should not expire based on the date it has
So I'm confused now

Thank you, I missed this link
Reading the link is clear but I called KCC to make sure I got it, I explained that lived in an African country for many years then left it since 209 and never went back there only for vacations (once a year for 2/3 weeks), the lady told me the police certificate should not expire based on the date it has
So I'm confused now

I'm not sure what you are confused about.

I'm not sure what you are confused about.
The lady on the phone said the certificate should not expire but based on what I read in the website the certificate will never expire if I don't live in that country anymore

The lady on the phone said the certificate should not expire but based on what I read in the website the certificate will never expire if I don't live in that country anymore

So they told you the same thing in different words.