• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

I scheduled to fly with DV2020 but finally was rejected for boarding by airlines in Bangkok last night. Not sure anyone with expired visa successfully boarding airlines and entry to US. The court order or announcement on travel.state.gov seems to be nothing for airlines and CBP. The airlines confirmed that the rejection directly coming from US CBP.

I scheduled to fly with DV2020 but finally was rejected for boarding by airlines in Bangkok last night. Not sure anyone with expired visa successfully boarding airlines and entry to US. The court order or announcement on travel.state.gov seems to be nothing for airlines and CBP. The airlines confirmed that the rejection directly coming from US CBP.

If your visa was issued in September the rejection is wrong. Contact the embassy and the airline and be persistent. Others have done so and succeeded.

Hey all, I have just landed in the US thanks for all your help especially Brit….Just wanted to know if I had been issued a SSN before ( I had a J1 visa years ago ) Am I ok to use that same SSN I do remember selecting on my form that I had a SSN. The CO at LAX said green cards will take around 6 months to get mailed out as they are backlogged for anyone wanting to know. Cheers

Hey all, I have just landed in the US thanks for all your help especially Brit….Just wanted to know if I had been issued a SSN before ( I had a J1 visa years ago ) Am I ok to use that same SSN I do remember selecting on my form that I had a SSN. The CO at LAX said green cards will take around 6 months to get mailed out as they are backlogged for anyone wanting to know. Cheers
Your SSN should stay with you for life, but you’ll need a new card that doesn’t have whatever restrictions you may have had before.

Can you confirm you were DV2020 and issued in September- so no problems using the “expired” visa?

Your SSN should stay with you for life, but you’ll need a new card that doesn’t have whatever restrictions you may have had before.

Can you confirm you were DV2020 and issued in September- so no problems using the “expired” visa?
Thanks SusieQQQ. Yes I travelled on an “expired” visa issued in September for DV2020. I had a bit of a wait at Sydney airport because they didn’t know what to do but the check in agent at AA was very patient and helpful she made phone calls to the embassy’s and I got approved. I did also have the print out from the US embassy in Au that said I could travel and also the proclamation which I think you recommended so thank you!
Do you know if I can update my card online?

Thanks SusieQQQ. Yes I travelled on an “expired” visa issued in September for DV2020. I had a bit of a wait at Sydney airport because they didn’t know what to do but the check in agent at AA was very patient and helpful she made phone calls to the embassy’s and I got approved. I did also have the print out from the US embassy in Au that said I could travel and also the proclamation which I think you recommended so thank you!
Do you know if I can update my card online?
Thanks for confirming.

Did you check the box on the DS260 that asks if you want the card sent to you? If so it should be done automatically. If not I believe you may have to go into a SSA office in person to update, but call your local office first, they all seem to be operating a little differently these days with limited in person services - I think you should be able to make an appointment for this currently but not sure (pre Covid it would be walk in and wait forever).

Thanks for confirming.

Did you check the box on the DS260 that asks if you want the card sent to you? If so it should be done automatically. If not I believe you may have to go into a SSA office in person to update, but call your local office first, they all seem to be operating a little differently these days with limited in person services - I think you should be able to make an appointment for this currently but not sure (pre Covid it would be walk in and wait forever).
Yes thank you I did check that box I have only been here a week so maybe I will be patient and just wait. I am about to start working so as long as the number is the same I should be ok. Thank you again for your responses greatly appreciated

I finally landed in US by ANA. They were very supportive and gave US CBP name who they contacted for my reference. At Chicago airport, US CBP asked for new medical examination which I got a new one before leaving for US. Thanks this forum and moderator for information.
If your visa was issued in September the rejection is wrong. Contact the embassy and the airline and be persistent. Others have done so and succeeded.

I finally landed in US by ANA. They were very supportive and gave US CBP name who they contacted for my reference. At Chicago airport, US CBP asked for new medical examination which I got a new one before leaving for US. Thanks this forum and moderator for information.
Good news
Congratulations and welcome to the US

Great!

Requiring the medical examination is odd - the Judge extended the validity of the visas, and did not allow for any conditionality of that. So - unless the visa had some original "medical re-examination required" (which can happen sometimes), it shows CBP are just making up policy - that could be considered obstructive to the Judges order.

However, you complied and are in now so no problem.

Hi, I have a question regarding the rule that we are not allowed to be longer than 6 months abroad after activating our GC.

My situation:
- activated my GC in March (what a freaking journey ;) )
- will finish my degree in September
- want to travel with a friend from September 2021 - January 2022 outside of the US

I could enter the US for a few days in September. But the idea behind the 6 month rule is clearly not that you enter as a tourist every 5 months. So I am not sure how helpful it would be to spend a few days in the US without signing a lease etc.

Hi, I have a question regarding the rule that we are not allowed to be longer than 6 months abroad after activating our GC.

My situation:
- activated my GC in March (what a freaking journey ;) )
- will finish my degree in September
- want to travel with a friend from September 2021 - January 2022 outside of the US

I could enter the US for a few days in September. But the idea behind the 6 month rule is clearly not that you enter as a tourist every 5 months. So I am not sure how helpful it would be to spend a few days in the US without signing a lease etc.
No such rule. It is one year. See the section “ Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?” here https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af.../international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident - note this is an official USCIS page.

No such rule. It is one year. See the section “ Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?” here https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af.../international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident - note this is an official USCIS page.

It's 1 year as written
But some arabs in FB pages and forums said that they were questioned since they were outside the states for 6 months.

I don't know about others (different countries) if they had similar experience

It's 1 year as written
But some arabs in FB pages and forums said that they were questioned since they were outside the states for 6 months.

I don't know about others (different countries) if they had similar experience
You can be “questioned” after any amount of time. But the rule is one year.

Hi ..Im From Sri Lanka DV2020 winner.I got a police clearace February in (2020) last year.Now it is old.I want to know , shoud I take a new PC ?

Hi ..Im From Sri Lanka DV2020 winner.I got a police clearace February in (2020) last year.Now it is old.I want to know , shoud I take a new PC ?
Yes, the last one you took is over one year old. Get a new one
Actually the revised general requirements are 2 years. But you should confirm if Sri lanka follows the general ones.

Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:
  • You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate was obtained more than two years ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.