• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

hi.. thanks alot for info... when did u come to USA n how long it took for u to collect GC n SSN?
Green card not yet
This will take a few weeks or months before we receive it, be patient and move on with life as you wait for it
The i551 stamp is valid for one year and will suffice to serve as your green card as you await your green cards delivery

Dear All Dv 2020 lucky winners,

I just heard that to get your SSN you need to provide a job offer. It has happend to two ppl who came by GC on 2020 March.. Did the same happend to any of u? How long it took for yoy to get GC n SSN?
You sound as if you are saying someone needs to offer you a job before you will get a SSN? That’s totally false.

You sound as if you are saying someone needs to offer you a job before you will get a SSN? That’s totally false.
Hi @SusieQQQ

That happened to me unfortunately. I entered US - California in March 2020 and I was waiting waiting and waiting for the SSN to come automatically because I had applied for one in the DS-260. Since it didn't come after a month, I called the SSA and they asked me to wait until 8 weeks after arrival because of the delays due to the pandemic. When I called them again after 8 weeks, they asked me to contact the local SSA office. Local SSA office informed me that I needed to visit their office in person. However, appointments were given only to those with a job offer. So I went there after getting a job offer and got my SSN 3 months after entering the US. Luckily I had family support here until then. :)

Hi @SusieQQQ

That happened to me unfortunately. I entered US - California in March 2020 and I was waiting waiting and waiting for the SSN to come automatically because I had applied for one in the DS-260. Since it didn't come after a month, I called the SSA and they asked me to wait until 8 weeks after arrival because of the delays due to the pandemic. When I called them again after 8 weeks, they asked me to contact the local SSA office. Local SSA office informed me that I needed to visit their office in person. However, appointments were given only to those with a job offer. So I went there after getting a job offer and got my SSN 3 months after entering the US. Luckily I had family support here until then. :)
Your situation was about getting an appointment in the middle of a pandemic, not the principle of getting a SSN at all. The way the question was phrased made it sound like no job offer, no SSN, period, which is nonsense. Maybe what the poster meant was someone in your situation trying to get their ssn after the usual system had one of its failures , but that wasn’t the way the question was phrased.

it was told by two people who won green card and went during the panademic.. And i can see that some one here has also face the similar situation.

it was told by two people who won green card and went during the panademic.. And i can see that some one here has also face the similar situation.
If that person’s account is what you were talking about, then what you were actually asking is: if you enter the US, and the request on the DS260 for a SSN doesn’t work, and you need to make an in person appointment in the middle of the pandemic to get one at your SS office, do you need a job offer to get that appointment ?

because my two school kids who got SSNs when they were 5 and 12 years old can absolutely tell you you don’t need a job offer to get a SSN.

Hi everyone! Really enjoyed reading up on the thread here. I have a question after watching Simon’s latest YouTube video where he recommends people submit their documents to KCC regardless of their case numbers.

I am looking to do this ASAP but out of 3 required documents ( birth certificate, police record, and passport copy) , there is one document that takes way longer ( extra few weeks) to obtain. In this case, should I send the the two of them first and then send the last one as soon as I obtain? Does this make any difference from submitting all of them at once later? In another word, by sending two out of there documents does this get me higher on the list to process compared to sending them all later at once? I really appreciate your thoughts here.
Imo - nope, your documents won’t be complete and you’ll have to send them all again later anyway. May as well wait till you have everything. if your number is current you won’t be added to the list for scheduling until all your docs are there, and if you are still waiting for your number to be current precise timing of submission doesn’t matter, as long as they are all in and processed before scheduling eventually starts for the month you become current.

Hi all, I entered USA on March 15. LPR stamped in Abu Dhabi US pre clearance facility. Process was smooth and all border controls officials were kind and supportive. Now, waiting for my SSN and green card. Thank you for great support by all moderators, lawyers and specially @Britsimon.
Good luck my brother, hope to get there one day too

Hello guys mostly africans get married without going to court when he is selected can he rush to the court get married so as to have the marriage certificate before filling the form?

Hello every one; I had a question about DV2021. my case number is AS26k I have not recieved any email from KCC for submiting the documents yet. Is it a good i dea to submit my documents or should I wait untill I recieve email for submiting documents? Regards

Hello every one; I had a question about DV2021. my case number is AS26k I have not recieved any email from KCC for submiting the documents yet. Is it a good i dea to submit my documents or should I wait untill I recieve email for submiting documents? Regards
Stop duplicating the same post over multiple threads. Post once and wait for a response.

pk_dreal96

It's better to take marriage certificate before DV results are revealed. In some cases getting married after being selected raises questions and consulate may ask for proof of relationship.