• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Only the applicant is interviewed, spouse confirms who they are and provides fingerprints, the children do not provide fingerprints.

Not always. I was asked questions (as the spouse) about what I was planning to do for work in the US (I was the sole breadwinner and my ex a stay at home dad).

For those who had to take spouses/kids to the Consulate interview....do they interview spouse and kids? (Am assuming not for kids)

He didn't ask my wife anything although he did some small talk with her. Also the kids got in a fight over the fingerprint scanner so he let them "scan" their prints. He was a nice guy (and from TX which is where I moved too).

Hey guys,

So I got back from my 2 week activation trip to LA. When i arrived in immigration they pulled me aside to a seperate area and sat me down the officer looked through my paperwork, asked me to confirm thats where I wanted my Green Card sent and and I replied "yes" and he stamped my passport and said "Congratulations, welcome to America".

I had a lot of meetings while I was there and I kind of screwed up though and forgot to open a Bank account while I was over there to start building up my credit rating as I'm not moving until June next year. Is there anyway of opening a Bank Account from Australia? I know Westpac is partnered with Bank of America but I havnt heard great things about BOA and might go with a Credit Union instead.

Cheers.

HI Guys! I had my interview on Tuesday (yesterday) and got approved, woo!

Just checked CEAC and it currently says "Administrative Processing" -- is this normal? The consular officer was pretty clear it was all good to go.

Any help appreciated!

Nothing wrong with Bank of America, in my experience. Have banked with them going on four years and had no problems.

They don’t care whether or not you actually stay at the address. It is listed as a valid address for your green card and SSN card to be sent to. Assuming it is still ok for that, no problem.

You pay the fee online. You can pay it whenever you want really, but your green card won’t be produced and sent until you do, so best not to leave it too long after you enter. Better to pay before.

Question

Is it possible to do an activation trip and then leave and while back in Australia pay for the green card to be issued? Would it be an issue when leaving or returning in a month?

HI Guys! I had my interview on Tuesday (yesterday) and got approved, woo!

Just checked CEAC and it currently says "Administrative Processing" -- is this normal? The consular officer was pretty clear it was all good to go.

Any help appreciated!
Give it a few days. You will see it issued in a day or two.

Hey guys,

So I got back from my 2 week activation trip to LA. When i arrived in immigration they pulled me aside to a seperate area and sat me down the officer looked through my paperwork, asked me to confirm thats where I wanted my Green Card sent and and I replied "yes" and he stamped my passport and said "Congratulations, welcome to America".

I had a lot of meetings while I was there and I kind of screwed up though and forgot to open a Bank account while I was over there to start building up my credit rating as I'm not moving until June next year. Is there anyway of opening a Bank Account from Australia? I know Westpac is partnered with Bank of America but I havnt heard great things about BOA and might go with a Credit Union instead.

Cheers.
Bank of America is who I have my accounts with and they've been great.
FYI - its not the bank account that will begin your credit file, you'll need a credit card, loan, utility bills etc to do that and as far as I know you can't do that unless you are in the USA

FYI - its not the bank account that will begin your credit file, you'll need a credit card, loan, utility bills etc to do that and as far as I know you can't do that unless you are in the USA

Once you have a Bank account AND a SSN, you can apply for a Credit Card online through your bank. But getting the initial bank account is the hard part - where physical presence is required.

I've already printed out that webpage and highlighted where it says they only provide CD and email copies. Even the CD just has marker pen on it. Nothing whatsoever to show anyone it's official. This has been my only stress point about the actual interview.

Funny story...my last trip to LAX in October resulted in my being detained for 5 hrs because my fingerprints were too dry after the 14-hr flight, to be detected by the scanner. So, prepare for hiccups. No impact to future trips etc, but just a big hassle.
Doug are you up for your interview this week?

I’m off to the USA this week for my activation trip. Fees paid and documents checked 11ty billion times. Will let y’all know how it goes. It’s been a long process and I’ll always be eternally grateful for the help and friendships I’ve made via this forum.
Been a longer journey than most for you to get to this stage - have fun!

Hi all! Just an update for any West Australians and people from Perth who might be reading through this forum this year/next year:

The interview was as smooth and quick as expected, one potential hiccup was my official high school certificate provided by the Education Department of WA — the official document doesn't look real! It looks like a dodgy photocopy.

The consular officer was very nice about it and I handed over my original Masters degree from Columbia University which he said was enough. For anyone else applying with a HSC from WA, might be a good idea to prepare ONET qualifications as well, just in case.