• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hi all, I had my interview in Sydney today and was provisionally approved. I had my medical two weeks ago, but the consulate hasn't received it yet, so once that comes through I'll be approved! Apparently the radiology clinic was short staffed so they didn't send the x-rays back to the doctor early enough, which is suppperrrr annoying, but I'm so relieved to have been somewhat approved.

Thank you all for your guidance and help, and good luck to all of the 2020 winners!

A bit slack for the medical place to take two weeks to send through x-rays, but good to hear you are all but approved.

I had an interview at 5am this morning, didn't go well unfortunately. Oh well, no point dwelling on it.

Interview Experience- Sydney 2019.

So my interview has been and gone and I can gladly say I received the answer that everyone wants to hear- APPROVED!

The process started the day before, flying from interstate and staying at the Sofitel Wentworth-thanks for the recommendation @Mijoro. I give Sydney props- your public transport system is not shabby. Took the train from Central to Wynyard station and just walked to the hotel from there. Got to check in just after lunch so between waiting and that time I just walked around the city. Got my steps in that’s for sure! Concierge at the hotel were very helpful too I must say.

Fast forward a few hours- quick 6 minute walk from hotel to consulate- I did a practice run to be sure.

Left hotel on Tuesday morning early- making sure for like the 100th time I had everything I needed. My scheduled appointment was one of the first ones. Took the lift up from the lobby, went through security (this was after required documents were placed in a clear folder by one of the employees to take up with me). Everyone working there was super nice. This is also where they put your personal belongings away in a cubby/bag. I only took my phone, but forgot about my smart watch which they also requested to be placed in holding while I participated in the interview. I was like this part is easy- this took all of about 20 minutes if that. There was no line. I assumed I’d be out of there at like the latest 9.30am.

How wrong was I... took a ticket as I walked in and went through giving over my documents then was waiting to pay. Then, of all days today the payment systems were down. So much so that no type of payment was being accepted, and for those who know the drill, no payment equals no interview so there was an accumulation of a backlog of people waiting.

A few people opted for a money order as this was being accepted after around 9.30am, but even that in itself took a while to get so I just stayed hoping for the best outcome.

Due to there not being any clocks in the waiting area, I could only assume it was around 10.30am when the payment facility finally started to work again.

A few people were then processed (only two counters were open for this part). A few required further documentation, but for all I heard and the expressions when they left the counter, all was good news. I believe it would have been around 11am when my number was finally called. Took the oath, did the fingerprints, then the interviewer just checked again through all my documents that were all there. Then the questions started:
  • What Visa was I applying for?
  • Highest level of education?
  • Are you married?
  • When did you get married?
  • Have children?
  • What do you do for work?
So I was a little taken aback when after asking about whether I was married (I am) why I hadn’t listed my husband on the application? I just replied with ‘he is an American Citizen so I believe I didn’t have to’. The interviewer then had to go and check on this so I was left standing at the counter a little deflated thinking I had stuffed things up... they did however return and said it was ok and that everything was approved.

Got back to the hotel at 11.25am- ran straight to the front desk and explained my situation and they were ok. Just had to redo my room key to go grab my things (I had packed up everything the night before) so all ended well there and was out by 11.40am.

Took the train back from Martin Place to Central, then Central to the airport. I was early back to the airport. Flight was delayed but not stressed... I had worse things to worry about today and got through it :)

All I can say is thank goodness this is now done. Now to plan whether to go on an activation trip or just await the final move in November... decisions decisions!

Good luck to those that have gone through this process and also to those yet to do so. I wish you nothing but the best for this life chapter :)

Also thanks to everyone that has contributed to the wealth of knowledge on this forum- definitely learnt a lot and helped me immensely.

Interview Experience- Sydney 2019.

So my interview has been and gone and I can gladly say I received the answer that everyone wants to hear- APPROVED!

The process started the day before, flying from interstate and staying at the Sofitel Wentworth-thanks for the recommendation @Mijoro. I give Sydney props- your public transport system is not shabby. Took the train from Central to Wynyard station and just walked to the hotel from there. Got to check in just after lunch so between waiting and that time I just walked around the city. Got my steps in that’s for sure! Concierge at the hotel were very helpful too I must say.

Fast forward a few hours- quick 6 minute walk from hotel to consulate- I did a practice run to be sure.

Left hotel on Tuesday morning early- making sure for like the 100th time I had everything I needed. My scheduled appointment was one of the first ones. Took the lift up from the lobby, went through security (this was after required documents were placed in a clear folder by one of the employees to take up with me). Everyone working there was super nice. This is also where they put your personal belongings away in a cubby/bag. I only took my phone, but forgot about my smart watch which they also requested to be placed in holding while I participated in the interview. I was like this part is easy- this took all of about 20 minutes if that. There was no line. I assumed I’d be out of there at like the latest 9.30am.

How wrong was I... took a ticket as I walked in and went through giving over my documents then was waiting to pay. Then, of all days today the payment systems were down. So much so that no type of payment was being accepted, and for those who know the drill, no payment equals no interview so there was an accumulation of a backlog of people waiting.

A few people opted for a money order as this was being accepted after around 9.30am, but even that in itself took a while to get so I just stayed hoping for the best outcome.

Due to there not being any clocks in the waiting area, I could only assume it was around 10.30am when the payment facility finally started to work again.

A few people were then processed (only two counters were open for this part). A few required further documentation, but for all I heard and the expressions when they left the counter, all was good news. I believe it would have been around 11am when my number was finally called. Took the oath, did the fingerprints, then the interviewer just checked again through all my documents that were all there. Then the questions started:
  • What Visa was I applying for?
  • Highest level of education?
  • Are you married?
  • When did you get married?
  • Have children?
  • What do you do for work?
So I was a little taken aback when after asking about whether I was married (I am) why I hadn’t listed my husband on the application? I just replied with ‘he is an American Citizen so I believe I didn’t have to’. The interviewer then had to go and check on this so I was left standing at the counter a little deflated thinking I had stuffed things up... they did however return and said it was ok and that everything was approved.

Got back to the hotel at 11.25am- ran straight to the front desk and explained my situation and they were ok. Just had to redo my room key to go grab my things (I had packed up everything the night before) so all ended well there and was out by 11.40am.

Took the train back from Martin Place to Central, then Central to the airport. I was early back to the airport. Flight was delayed but not stressed... I had worse things to worry about today and got through it :)

All I can say is thank goodness this is now done. Now to plan whether to go on an activation trip or just await the final move in November... decisions decisions!

Good luck to those that have gone through this process and also to those yet to do so. I wish you nothing but the best for this life chapter :)

Also thanks to everyone that has contributed to the wealth of knowledge on this forum- definitely learnt a lot and helped me immensely.

Interesting point I hadn't realized about your case (or perhaps we have discussed this and I can't remember). You were married when you entered, but didn't include your husband since he was a citizen. That is fine - the 9 FAM notes are very clear about that. BUT does that mean you selected single status on the original entry? I thought the form "insisted" on spouse details if you select married.

Interesting point I hadn't realized about your case (or perhaps we have discussed this and I can't remember). You were married when you entered, but didn't include your husband since he was a citizen. That is fine - the 9 FAM notes are very clear about that. BUT does that mean you selected single status on the original entry? I thought the form "insisted" on spouse details if you select married.
Just now checked my DS-260. I did list him and included him as my spouse... so now don’t know why I was asked that question. Strange :confused:

Just now checked my DS-260. I did list him and included him as my spouse... so now don’t know why I was asked that question. Strange :confused:
Presumably because you didn't fill in a DS260 for him... or maybe left him off the original entry?

Their question was angled to the original entry. Not listing a spouse that would be eligible would be a disqualifying mistake EXCEPT for a spouse that is already a citizen. BUT listing marital status inaccurately would be a material misrepresentation - which in itself can be serious (but not automatically disqualifying up to DV2020).

It was weird they asked me if I had any children or if my husband did but the interviewing officer already knew I did and knew their surnames. Maybe they just ask moreso to get an idea of what you’re like and are just observing your general demeanour.

Hey Bob. What kind of industry are you in out of interest? Did you say you were moving to Nashville?

I work in IT, networking and support etc. I am moving to Austin, TX.

You know what though, I actually got a second interview. Which is kinda funny because that first interview was probably the worst I have done in years. It's on the 21st, literally one day after I arrive in Austin. 2 hours long though....wtf. Heck of a welcome but I'm up for it!

Well, after trying to re-schedule my interview, am scheduled for late August, and I'll actually be home for this one! Pushing it close to the Sept 30 cut-off, so hopefully, our non-original military records aren't an issue. Wish I knew someone who had faced this same problem before!

You know what though, I actually got a second interview. Which is kinda funny because that first interview was probably the worst I have done in years. It's on the 21st, literally one day after I arrive in Austin. 2 hours long though....wtf. Heck of a welcome but I'm up for it!
Nice. Good luck. It seems like you'll have a job in no time! Myself and my wide went to Austin a few months ago to check it out. It was good fun, great food and music scene. Everyone seemed pretty nice.

2 hours is not that bad! We have seen half day and sometimes longer interview schedules. The good news is the longer they are, it means the more people they are getting to interview/meet you, which is normally a good sign that you're a serious candidate.

Yeah they sent me the schedule for it. Two different interview panels, 6 people each. Seems somewhat overkill for the type of job it is but it's good practice since I'm rusty with interviews. Is that the norm for American interviews? Generally in NZ we may have two interviews but usually 45 minutes or so each and that is it for this mid level role.

Yeah they sent me the schedule for it. Two different interview panels, 6 people each. Seems somewhat overkill for the type of job it is but it's good practice since I'm rusty with interviews. Is that the norm for American interviews? Generally in NZ we may have two interviews but usually 45 minutes or so each and that is it for this mid level role.

Well we haven’t had loads of interview experiences, being quite lucky with finding work, but it does seem common. It was the norm back where I came from too, where fit in a team was considered very important. We used to do that even for some of the entry level jobs, depending what kind of career path those were expected to lead to.

Question re banks: I was originally going to wait until I get to Austin to go for a bank account but now it seems I'm already picking up a pretty busy schedule literally the day I'm arriving there. Would it be weird to try and open a bank account in LA since we're there for a few days just relaxing.