• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hi guys, DV lottery old-timer Guestgulkan here. How is OC going?

Just a quick update for the regulars - I had a baby Gulkan last year, who is a US citizen while I'm still not. Sponsored him and he's already got his Aussie citizenship locked in.

Still working from home in the beautiful city of Las Vegas.

I should really checkin on the people who helped me so much and waited together as my number barely got called up in the very last month.

Good luck everyone!

Hey gulkan! Nice to see you back. Congratulations on the baby, and glad to hear it’s all going well!

Hey I have a question! Iv'e got my photos for the medical (6 just in case although the receptionist at the clinic said I only needed 4??) Anyway, I'd always thought that you needed photos at the actual visa interview as well.... But now iv'e checked and think that you don't need to bring any at that time - is this right? Thanks, Jim..

From the website

What to Bring to the Interview

Appointment Letter - Your appointment information from the Entrant Status Check on the Electronic Diversity Visa (E-DV) website.
DS-260 Confirmation Page - You can print this from the Consular Electronic Application Center any time after you complete your DS-260 application.
Passport - For each applicant, an unexpired passport valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States
Photographs - Two identical color photographs for each applicant. Photos must meet the standards explained in the Photograph Requirements.
Medical Exam Results - If the panel physician gave you sealed envelopes containing each applicant’s medical examination results, please bring those unopened envelopes. Some physicians send the medical examination results directly to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For more information, review Prepare for the Interview.
Original and Supporting Documents - Bring original documents or certified copies of all documents you submitted to KCC for you and each family member applying for a visa (with the exception of your passport). You may also be required to provide evidence of work and education requirements, marriage certificates, marriage termination documentation, and custody documentation. If you have a new document that you did not submit to KCC, bring both the original and one photocopy. Your original documents will be returned to you when the interview has been completed. The photocopies will be kept. For more information, review Prepare Your Supporting Documents.
English Translations - If documents require English translation, you must obtain certified translations and present them on the day of your interview. For more information, review Prepare Your Supporting Documents.
Visa Fees - If you did not pay your visa fees prior to your interview, you will need to pay them before speaking with a consular officer. For more information, review Prepare for the Interview.

I've been using Zillow. Any other you recommend?
They all the have the same content. There is a centralized system where realtors put house for sale offers (I don't remember the name). Before zillow/trulia/realtor.com etc you had to pay a fee to access it.

You've also chosen (IMHO ;)) the best place to settle in US, congrats! The only thing I'd recommend though is holding off buying a house until you know where you work. Going downtown each morning (or south of the river) from Cedar Park or Round Rock can be daunting...

Having just gone through the house buying process after renting in Chicago for 18 months I agree with the above posts - rent for 12 months before you buy. Neighborhoods in the USA differ substantially within less than a mile. The only real way to determine that is to live in the city for a period of time.

Renting takes all the pressure off. Gives you 12 months to look around without feeling rushed. The loan process over here is still heavily paper and your loan interest rate will be based off credit score. 12 months gives you time to build a little bit of credit.

I found Redfin to be a great app similar to Zillow etc but I prefer their app to Zillow.

Hey gulkan! Nice to see you back. Congratulations on the baby, and glad to hear it’s all going well!

Hey SusieQ! Glad to see you're still here helping people. I certainly appreciated your help (and Simon and Mom of course).

I'll never forget this forum and will always drop back in to see what's happening from time to time.

Apartment list is pretty good as it allows you to message the properties directly. So the management teams hit you back.

One thing that surprised me though is the total move in costs for some places. While the rent maybe say $1200 per month some places force you to take additional packages such as internet and cable tv etc and they add another $100/$125 to the rent per month.

Gulkan I love that area of Vegas, I know most suggest Henderson but it just didn’t appeal to me.

For apartments it's better since you deal directly with the apartment management.

Henderson and Summerlin both feel very sterile and artificial.

Anyway send me a message here if you need some advice or want to meet up.

Hi everyone,

This was my second year applying, and second year selected for further processing (wow my luck!) but my number didn't come up on the VB last time around. This year I am OC6XX, yay! I was completely on the ball last time and filled out my DS-260 right away after receiving my letter, but alas, I recently had a baby here in the US (I'm on an E3) and so this process has not been front of mind. So I have not submitted my DS-260 yet :(

I'm ready to submit, but before I do, I have a little dilemma I'm hoping for any tips on.

I currently live in the US, but my E3 expires this month. I'm wondering if it's better to go back to Australia for the interview (cheaper, faster) or switch to AOS and interview here in the US (more $$, slower). The cost isn't really an issue, it's more about being away from the US for a long period (as we've set up a home here, have a dog etc). From what I've read, going back to Australia is faster to get an interview, however with not submitting my DS-260 until now, I'm unsure when this would be. If I switch to AOS, I read it's harder to leave/return to the US and I might not get an interview for months, which takes me over my E3 expiry.

My 2 main questions are:

1. With submitting DS-260 today, will I have to stay in Aust. for some time because of an interview delay?
2. Is it illegal for me to overstay my E3 expiry date if I switch to AOS (even if my i94 says 2021 expiry)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I cannot talk to the better avenue from this point.

I’ve got my interview booked back home as I need to travel for work so the AOS wouldn’t have worked properly as it can take 3-4 months total and leave you in limbo as you cannot leave without also applying for parole which can take months.

Legal advice was that I-94 is the legal document to continue work unless you leave the country.

With E3 there are three things:
1. E3 visa validity, which allows you to enter the US.
2. LCA validity period, that allows you to work.
3. Admitted until date on I-94, that allows you to stay in the US.

1. is totally irrelevant to AOS (to anything except crossing the border really)

I’ve got my interview booked back home as I need to travel for work so the AOS wouldn’t have worked properly as it can take 3-4 months total and leave you in limbo as you cannot leave without also applying for parole which can take months.

How long have you booked to be in Australia for to cover your medical + interview + wait time for passport? From what I've read, most people are approved at the interview and then receive their passports back within a few business days (and then the GC later in the mail). Can you return to the US as soon as you have your passport back?

With E3 there are three things:
1. E3 visa validity, which allows you to enter the US.
2. LCA validity period, that allows you to work.
3. Admitted until date on I-94, that allows you to stay in the US.

1. is totally irrelevant to AOS (to anything except crossing the border really)

Many thanks for this, it's what I guessed but wasn't 100% about.

I heard the 4 magic words today...
“Your Visa is Approved”
I’ll post more about the experience when I get home, right now I’m on cloud nine and can’t stop smiling
Congratulations I’m so happy for you!!!

so now for the rundown of my interview. As everyone else has said before, the interview itself is quite short.
My appointment time was 10:30, I arrived around 10am. Two ladies were at a desk and went through the checklist and requested all my documents and put them in order (even though they were in order as per the checklist because I'm OCD like that). I was then directed to go through security (taking my folder of documents with me) and left my handbag at security as I could not take it with me. I was then directed to wait for the lift to 59th floor, there was another young lady waiting with me, we became instant "DV Buddies" and chatted the whole time we waited.

Once upstairs we took a number and waited about 10 mins to be called for document checking, I was handed back some of my work documents as she said they were not needed (they were later on...), I was then directed to another window to pay my fee ($330 USD that I had in cash), went back to the first window to give her my receipt for payment.... then came the big wait.

There were several people before me that were advised they were missing documentation however I don't think any of them were DV cases. One lady had gotten married last year and the CO grilled both her and her husband about how they met, has she met his family, does she like them, he could not approve her visa today as her medical was only done yesterday but he said that everything looked good but she needed to wait.

It was then my new DV Buddies turn, she was really nervous even though, like me, she was super prepared. CO asked her all the standard questions like where she intends to stay, he then said that he had to apologize to her and I saw her heart sink, as well as mine.. but he said he was apologizing because he accidentally stamped her birth certificate instead of the copy but he was approving her visa so he hoped she was ok with it ..YAY!!

And now for my turn.... raise your right hand, do you agree that all documentation and information you provide today will be truthful ... Yes (DUH!) then he scanned my left fingerprints.
He asked if I had been married before - yes , twice and divorced twice.
He asked if I had any kids - yes two.
Will they be emigrating with you - No
He then asked about my education, did you complete high school - No I did not complete high school but I do have my university degree
He then asked if I had an o-net qualified job - Yes I did, handed him the o-net page I had printed for my job
Do I have a resume - Yes, provided it to him
He then asked a few questions about where I currently worked, how long had I been there, where did I work prior to that, what was my job title, how long did I work there. How many years experience did I have in my field of work. I had several other documents, such as memberships to industry specific institutions, letters of offer, over 2 years of payslips - he glanced at these through the window but did not request to see them.
He then handed me back all my originals and said those long awaited magic works .. "Your visa is approved"

I still can't quite believe its done, I was one of the lucky ones that got selected on my second year, hats off to those of you that have been chasing this dream longer than me - may your time come soon and you be successful in your quest.

Finally - a HUGE thank you to Susie, Mom and Simon - your time and knowledge has been invaluable and i wouldn't have been halfway as prepared as I was if it wasn't for you guys!!

Congrats! My young kids (well 11 and 7...not THAT young) were fighting over that fingerprint machine. They didn't need to have their prints taken but the CO was kind enough to do it anyway and pretend to scan them. Nice guy.

Sounds like your CO put you through via the work experience route. Mine was through the education route although I have my work as a backup but that was never asked about.

Thanks Mijoro. No they didnt ask anything about my finances, or where I was going to live. Pretty much all of his questions were about my education and work experience
That is so awesome, I bet you hardly slept last night. How long do you think it took all up? I have a similar interview time slot and am trying to organize flights back to Queensland.