• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 - new enrollment date Oct 18 - Nov 22 !!!

Hi Everyone,

Would like to get some advice:
I'm a Hong Kong-born Taiwanese and have just submitted a DV 2019 application with China as the country of birth(Q5) and Taiwan as the Country of Eligibility for the DV Program(Q6). However, I realized that I should've selected Hong Kong SAR as the country of birth instead of China, but it seems it's too late to be edited. So, would I still be able to get into the lottery? If not, should I send an email to the gov? I'm afraid that I'd be deselected since I chose China as the country of birth.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Everyone,

Would like to get some advice:
I'm a Hong Kong-born Taiwanese and have just submitted a DV 2019 application with China as the country of birth(Q5) and Taiwan as the Country of Eligibility for the DV Program(Q6). However, I realized that I should've selected Hong Kong SAR as the country of birth instead of China, but it seems it's too late to be edited. So, would I still be able to get into the lottery? If not, should I send an email to the gov? I'm afraid that I'd be deselected since I chose China as the country of birth.

Thank you in advance!

Hong Kong should have been BOTH your country of birth and eligibility. The rules are clear about this, not sure why you selected Taiwan. Anyway you wouldn’t get deselected in advance based on this, that’s not how it works. If you got selected you’d probably be ok as you’d still be assigned to Asia region which is what matters.

Hong Kong should have been BOTH your country of birth and eligibility. The rules are clear about this, not sure why you selected Taiwan. Anyway you wouldn’t get deselected in advance based on this, that’s not how it works. If you got selected you’d probably be ok as you’d still be assigned to Asia region which is what matters.

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thanks for your prompt reply! After I had opened the window of "selecting a country" and clicked "H" for several times, it just stopped at Honduras, which made me think there's no Hong Kong as a selection. Therefore, I thought I had to select China instead and then type Hong Kong in the "Birth City." Based on your recommendation, I think I'd just leave as it is. I really appreciate your help!

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thanks for your prompt reply! After I had opened the window of "selecting a country" and clicked "H" for several times, it just stopped at Honduras, which made me think there's no Hong Kong as a selection. Therefore, I thought I had to select China instead and then type Hong Kong in the "Birth City." Based on your recommendation, I think I'd just leave as it is. I really appreciate your help!

Ok I don’t know the details of what it allows you re HK but there would be an explanation somewhere about it I’m sure. Whatever the case, Taiwan is incorrect.
In any case you don’t have any choice but to leave it as it is. Once the entry is submitted it’s final.

While you should be ok if selected note that technically it can disqualify you. We have seen people being ok because the region is the same when they’ve selected the wrong eligibility country, but I’ve also seen a couple of cases of such people being disqualified.

Last edited:
Ok I don’t know the details of what it allows you re HK but there would be an explanation somewhere about it I’m sure. Whatever the case, Taiwan is incorrect.
In any case you don’t have any choice but to leave it as it is. Once the entry is submitted it’s final.

While you should be ok if selected note that technically it can disqualify you. We have seen people being ok because the region is the same when they’ve selected the wrong eligibility country, but I’ve also seen a couple of cases of such people being disqualified.

Thanks! really appreciate your help. Can't express how thankful I am!
I hope everything goes well and not get disqualified.

i have been trying to crop my photos but its keeping to reposition the photo that it fills the guadance square. my image fits in between the two oval guidelines yet it not cropping my photo. Could anyone please help

Hello, I made a mistake entry DV-2019.
I wrote incorrect of my address street.
I wrote "aple". The true is " apple".

May I disqualified?

Thank you.

i just applied. very easy once you sort the photo out.

question, will entering this lottery mean I am under much heavier scrutiny when biting the USA on an esta?

they may now know you have migration intentions.

i just applied. very easy once you sort the photo out.

question, will entering this lottery mean I am under much heavier scrutiny when biting the USA on an esta?

they may now know you have migration intentions.

Entering the lottery is not immigrant intent.
Winning the lottery is not immigrant intent.
If you win AND fill in a DS260, then that’s immigrant intent.

All that said, it’s best not to bite anyone ;)

Does anyone get the same message below? I am not sure if it is because something I enter wrong or Photo is incorrect or just too many people at the same time? Please help~~ Thanks

upload_2017-10-23_15-16-21.png

Thanks! I just tried everyday (but weekend) since 10/18/17... It always shows up the same message...Not sure why.. :( ... I will try again. Thank you.

Other people have successfully entered during that time. So - change your browser or method of entry.

i have been trying to crop my photos but its keeping to reposition the photo that it fills the guadance square. my image fits in between the two oval guidelines yet it not cropping my photo. Could anyone please help

I had the same problem as my system didn't allow the luxury of the states photo cropping tool.

I went to write called croppola and still encountered issues. The solution after a bit of mucking around was to take your photo from further back then crop it.

If your photo is unacceptable, do they tell you?

Who is “they”? If it doesn’t meet the technical specs, the tool rejects it.
If there is something else wrong with it that a human is needed to judge on, you will only find out if you get selected at your interview.
As long as the background is quite light it should be fine ( iow...not sunshine yellow)