• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

1. If you’re not currently based in the US, that means you’re not processing AOS, and your response should NOT have been ‘I am not processing AOS yet’.
2. AOS option is for selectees currently based in the US, your only option is CP.
3. The process described in the AOS thread is not applicable to those processing CP, so no prior payment is expected from CPers - and this is not a new procedure, it’s always been like this.
4. This particular thread you’re posting on is for those processing AOS only, like the title says. There’s a separate thread in the forum for general questions related to CP - please post on that.

Ok understood. Thanks for the information. I am new, that is why I was confused.

Hello,

Thank you to all for this outstanding source of information. I am E2 living in the US and as my number is EU20xxx, it is time to start preparing the package. I have 2 questions related to one of my kids studying outside the US.

1/ In form I-485, in part 6, listing my kids, should I put yes for "Is this child applying with you?" question related to my kid living outside the US as I am not sure if the question related to AOS or to DV.

2/ If we get approved, do you know what is the procedure to launch the CP process for him? I understand we need to inform USCIS but it is not clear if it is at interview time or later using a specific form.

Many thanks in advance,
Eric.

Hello,

Thank you to all for this outstanding source of information. I am E2 living in the US and as my number is EU20xxx, it is time to start preparing the package. I have 2 questions related to one of my kids studying outside the US.

1/ In form I-485, in part 6, listing my kids, should I put yes for "Is this child applying with you?" question related to my kid living outside the US as I am not sure if the question related to AOS or to DV.

2/ If we get approved, do you know what is the procedure to launch the CP process for him? I understand we need to inform USCIS but it is not clear if it is at interview time or later using a specific form.

Many thanks in advance,
Eric.

1. That should be “NO” - the question is AOS petition related. Your DS260 form is where you indicate you have a derivative processing FTJ (follow to join).

2. Inform your IO your child is processing FTJ. I typically recommend filling out an I-824 in advance and try to submit it to your IO at the end of your interview so that your derivative’s FTJ process can begin once you’re approved. The IO may accept the form (which saves you some time) or they may insist you file the form (mail it in with your AOS approval notice) after your petition gets approved. Upon FTJ approval, your FO forwards your case file to the applicable embassy with jurisdiction over where your derivative resides. The embassy will schedule an interview and contact your derivative with appointment information. The entire process including an approval must be completed by September 30th COB of course.

1. That should be “NO” - the question is AOS petition related. Your DS260 form is where you indicate you have a derivative processing FTJ (follow to join).

2. Inform your IO your child is processing FTJ. I typically recommend filling out an I-824 in advance and try to submit it to your IO at the end of your interview so that your derivative’s FTJ process can begin once you’re approved. The IO may accept the form (which saves you some time) or they may insist you file the form (mail it in with your AOS approval notice) after your petition gets approved. Upon FTJ approval, your FO forwards your case file to the applicable embassy with jurisdiction over where your derivative resides. The embassy will schedule an interview and contact your derivative with appointment information. The entire process including an approval must be completed by September 30th COB of course.

Hi Sm1smon,

Thank you for the prompt answers. Appreciate it.

Best,
Eric.

I do have one more question or rather concern.
I am submitted my ds260 this week however I am concerned regarding one of my answer.
When I entered into the system their first question was that they see I am in usa (since i put my usa address when I entered into DV2019) and if i adjust status or do cp.
I chose adjust status of course.
So when I see the question last 5 visits in the usa, it was pretty obvius for me that this visit that is still last doesn't count because it aske for start date and end date.
So i did not put this visit of mine onto the ds260.
You think I made a mistake and shoukd unlock my ds260? Or doesnt matter since I will do AOS with form i485?

I checked i485 form and over there I just need to put my last date of entry on the filed.
Let me know what do you think

I do have one more question or rather concern.
I am submitted my ds260 this week however I am concerned regarding one of my answer.
When I entered into the system their first question was that they see I am in usa (since i put my usa address when I entered into DV2019) and if i adjust status or do cp.
I chose adjust status of course.
So when I see the question last 5 visits in the usa, it was pretty obvius for me that this visit that is still last doesn't count because it aske for start date and end date.
So i did not put this visit of mine onto the ds260.
You think I made a mistake and shoukd unlock my ds260? Or doesnt matter since I will do AOS with form i485?

I checked i485 form and over there I just need to put my last date of entry on the filed.
Let me know what do you think

You should have included your current entry on the DS260 form. However failure to do so should not be a problem, you’ll provide updated information in your I-485 so no need to unlock the DS260.

Hi All,
While I was filling out I-485 on the computer, noticed that in some fields I can not put info what I want.
For example I-94 expiration date. For me under F1 visa my expiration date is D/S which is not allowed to be typed in, it waits for a date.
Also in the instructions they say you should put N/A in numerous fields rather than leave them blank.
I was googled a little bit and found this, which worked for me. I thought I share it with you guys
(Thank you for Esya on visajourney forum)

• Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Acrobat / Acrobat Reader > Preferences (Mac OS).
  • From the Categories on the left, select JavaScript.
  • In the JavaScript Security panel uncheck to disable JavaScript completely.

If this doesn’t help you can also open the form in google chrome and it lets you edit it.

I find that the spreadsheet is more useful and precise than the 'Official' instructional text spread across several U.S Government sites in piecemeal. Thanks for that.

Where can I read about successful applicants that did the AoS recently? Is there a certain forum for just AoS?

I find that the spreadsheet is more useful and precise than the 'Official' instructional text spread across several U.S Government sites in piecemeal. Thanks for that.

Where can I read about successful applicants that did the AoS recently? Is there a certain forum for just AoS?

This same thread has posts from those who recently completed the process. You can also search for past AOS threads in this forum for additional successful aplicants’ accounts/experience.

In addition, the AOS process spreadsheet has a dedicated tab (Tmelines) with links to both current and past timeline information.

I'm currently on the E3 visa, which will expire the end of May this year. I should be getting my green card before then but if there are further delays, there's a chance it will be after that.

Despite my visa expiring end of May 2019, my I-94 form states that I am admitted for another year (end of May 2020). If my green card doesn't arrive by end of May this year, am I permitted to stay in the US until the date on my I-94 (why is it so different)?

I'm currently on the E3 visa, which will expire the end of May this year. I should be getting my green card before then but if there are further delays, there's a chance it will be after that.

Despite my visa expiring end of May 2019, my I-94 form states that I am admitted for another year (end of May 2020). If my green card doesn't arrive by end of May this year, am I permitted to stay in the US until the date on my I-94 (why is it so different)?

Expiration date of the visa stamp on your passport is irrelevant as that is simply a document that allows you to enter the US.

What determines your status validity/duration of stay is your I-94 which is May 2020.

Expiration date of the visa stamp on your passport is irrelevant as that is simply a document that allows you to enter the US.

What determines your status validity/duration of stay is your I-94 which is May 2020.

Interesting. So does that mean the E3 visa is technically for 3-years rather than 2? I originally got it in May 2017.

Interesting. So does that mean the E3 visa is technically for 3-years rather than 2? I originally got it in May 2017.

I don’t know the technicalities involved with your specific case/situation. All I know is that the I-94 in general determines status validity.

Hi,
When we pay the fee of $330 for two people, can we make single money order for both?.
Should I include a copy of my previous expired visa in the AOS package?
Thanks

Hi,
When we pay the fee of $330 for two people, can we make single money order for both?.
Should I include a copy of my previous expired visa in the AOS package?
Thanks

1. Yes
2. Yes. See AOS process spreadsheet for list of recommended documents to in AOS package.

The E3 allows you to enter the US, the i94 dictates how long you can stay in the US for. The Border officers change your i94 date every time you reenter at their own whim, so you can't expect to enter the US with an expired visa, but you can stay in the US with an unexpired i94.

Confusing right?

The E3 allows you to enter the US, the i94 dictates how long you can stay in the US for. The Border officers change your i94 date every time you reenter at their own whim, so you can't expect to enter the US with an expired visa, but you can stay in the US with an unexpired i94.

Confusing right?

Well, it’s not a whim. It’s not confusing either. One is the right to apply to enter, the other is the authorized period of stay.
The expiry date on the visa is the date by which you must enter. The i94 reflects your authorized stay. If your visa expires on 31 May, you can still enter on 31 May. If for example what you are entering for would usually be a 6 month stay, the CBP officer authorizes you to stay for 6 month. The visa date no longer matters. It works the other way too, for example: you enter on a visa that is valid for multiple entries for 10 years. This doesn’t mean you can just stay in the US for 10 years! You also get a 6-month i94, and have to leave by the 6-month limit, even though the visa expiry is years away. Just means you can use the same visa to enter next time, and each time you enter your i94 is reset to take account of the current circumstances under which you enter. (Obviously, in the first example you’d need a new visa to enter again.)
Obviously for E, F, H etc visas your period of stay is generally much longer than 6 months.

No. The visa allows you to apply for entry. If it expires in May 2019, and you exit the US after that, you cannot use the same visa to re-enter regardless of what the period of the i94 was. The i94 period of stay resets each time you enter.