• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Damn!
My status changed to
Notice Was Returned To USCIS Because The Post Office Could Not Deliver It
once again....

I will call them back tomorrow as there is no point in waiting for the letter anymore.
I really do not understand why it keeps getting returned. I added my name to my mailbox so I really can not figure it out..

Something is going on with your address. Check copies of your submitted forms, is your address correctly listed? This will clearly impact your IL receipt also.

Dear Mom and all,

I need to consult with you about bringing a lawyer with me to the interview. I am still undecided because I am not sure if presence of a lawyer would raise red flags or not. Most attorneys usually advice that I better go with a lawyer and this will not affect the case negatively according to law but some of them say that officer is a human being after all and he may be thinking if I am hiding something and so bringing a lawyer when I have not committed any crimes is useless, redundant and could just hurt the case .

Anyway, My question is:
1) What exactly a lawyer could do if I brought one? Could S/he make any serious difference? (Aside from making the IO stay polite! I really don't care about his/her behavior). Could a lawyer make a difference in final decision? What serious difference he/she could make?

2) They claim that they can make transcripts and can use it for filing an official complain in case of a denial. OK suppose that they are right, but If I did not take a lawyer there, could I still hire one afterwards so and S/he asks for the record of the interview and maybe filing for reconsideration ( I know we have only two months and none of these may work but I just wanted to make sure about what a lawyer can exactly do)

Thank you so much for your patience

This is something you’ll have to roll the dice and make a decision on your own.

1. The presence of a lawyer cannot force an IO into issuing an approval on a petition that is non-approvable. I can’t tell you what “serious difference” the presence of a lawyer will make in your case, outside of ensuring you don’t get treated the same way you reported about your first interview. In general, it is not unusual for a petitioner to show up with a lawyer for their interview, however most DV based AOSers do not show up with a lawyer, other petitioners do for family or employment based petitions.

2. Any lawyer that promises they can file a motion to reconsider and get it approved within two months (regardless of if they accompanied you or if the filing will be based on your narratives to them), is simply lying and is more interested in getting your money. Yes, they can file a formal complaint based on their observations, I don’t know if they’ll be willing to file a complaint based on your narratives to them - you’ll have to ask them directly if they’re willing to do do. But again, there’s the time factor like I already pointed out.

Remember you have the option of requesting to speak with a supervisor immediately following your interview if you feel you’ve been unfairly treated or targeted during the course of your interview.

I’m sorry I can’t give you the reassurance you’re looking for on this issue.

Something is going on with your address. Check copies of your submitted forms, is your address correctly listed? This will clearly impact your IL receipt also.

That's what I don't get. Every time I contact USCIS (whether via phone or Emma), they ask me for my address and they never raised an issue about it not being the same in their files.
I also asked if it was correct the first time I contacted a Tier 2 and he said that it is :/

What would you suggest I ask during my next call? (I will soon receive a callback)

The questions I have in mind are:
- Can I get an electronic copy of the letter returned
- Are you aware of the reason why it was returned
- Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again (depends on how they answer to the previous one)

- Can I get an electronic copy of the NOA

I will probably go my post office + leasing office today to see if any of them have any idea what could be wrong with my address :/

Thank you again

That's what I don't get. Every time I contact USCIS (whether via phone or Emma), they ask me for my address and they never raised an issue about it not being the same in their files.
I also asked if it was correct the first time I contacted a Tier 2 and he said that it is :/

What would you suggest I ask during my next call? (I will soon receive a callback)

The questions I have in mind are:
- Can I get an electronic copy of the letter returned
- Are you aware of the reason why it was returned
- Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again (depends on how they answer to the previous one)

- Can I get an electronic copy of the NOA

I will probably go my post office + leasing office today to see if any of them have any idea what could be wrong with my address :/

Thank you again

Have you gone through copies of your submitted forms to confirm the address is correctly written by you?

Hi,

I have an F-1 visa and am going to school in the US and I have been selected for the 2020 DV lottery. I would like to apply for an adjustment of status. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Do I send out my Form I-485 + supporting evidence documents to USCIS only when my case number is current or should I send out the documents now?

2) Is there a chance they will take my F1 visa away and I would be left with no green card and no visa?

3) I have been seeing a 90 day rule, does this apply to my case? I received my F1 Visa last week and will be attending graduate school in the spring. This is my second F-1 Visa (I had one for undergrad).

4) Can I leave the US for a couple of weeks during the 2020 fiscal year - to visit my family abroad for Christmas - or would that prevent me from getting the green card? I read some people saying it is best to stay in the US after filing this form and leave once you have the green card in your hand.

Thank you!

Have you gone through copies of your submitted forms to confirm the address is correctly written by you?

Damn, I feel so stupid...
It is correct in my address history but not on the first mention (mailing address..), as it's missing my building number :(

I don't understand why they confirmed my address multiple times if they have always had missing information (I have always specified the building number when communicating with them).

So much wasted time for nothing..
I will ask them to change it during my call, do you know if it will delay my process even more?

Thanks a lot though, I trusted that they would tell me the right thing and did not check the form itself...
Hard to stay pragmatic when so much is at stake

Last edited:
I just had my call with them and they actually had my building number on file but they wrote 'suite' instead of 'building' for some unknown reason.

They still won't send me the notice by email until 5 days before the appointment (was kinda expecting this..)

Damn, I feel so stupid...
It is correct in my address history but not on the first mention (mailing address..), as it's missing my building number :(

I don't understand why they confirmed my address multiple times if they have always had missing information (I have always specified the building number when communicating with them).

So much wasted time for nothing..
I will ask them to change it during my call, do you know if it will delay my process even more?

Thanks a lot though, I trusted that they would tell me the right thing and did not check the form itself...
Hard to stay pragmatic when so much is at stake

USPS returning the mail as undeliverable makes sense if building # is not listed on the envelope - your mail person can’t make a determination of the appropriate building to deliver the mail to.

Updating the building number info will not further delay the process if properly done and in a timely manner as requested.

USPS returning the mail as undeliverable makes sense if building # is not listed on the envelope - your mail person can’t make a determination of the appropriate building to deliver the mail to.

Updating the building number info will not further delay the process if properly done and in a timely manner as requested.

Thanks!

I do understand USPS's behavior but I do not get why USCIS confirmed my address though :/

I just filed for change of address (AR11), I'll have just have to wait now :)

Hello Mom and all,
What does "additional review needed" mean? As I remember, my interview officer told us that our biometric is cleared. So additional review should not be about security checks.

This is something you’ll have to roll the dice and make a decision on your own.

1. The presence of a lawyer cannot force an IO into issuing an approval on a petition that is non-approvable. I can’t tell you what “serious difference” the presence of a lawyer will make in your case, outside of ensuring you don’t get treated the same way you reported about your first interview. In general, it is not unusual for a petitioner to show up with a lawyer for their interview, however most DV based AOSers do not show up with a lawyer, other petitioners do for family or employment based petitions.

2. Any lawyer that promises they can file a motion to reconsider and get it approved within two months (regardless of if they accompanied you or if the filing will be based on your narratives to them), is simply lying and is more interested in getting your money. Yes, they can file a formal complaint based on their observations, I don’t know if they’ll be willing to file a complaint based on your narratives to them - you’ll have to ask them directly if they’re willing to do do. But again, there’s the time factor like I already pointed out.

Remember you have the option of requesting to speak with a supervisor immediately following your interview if you feel you’ve been unfairly treated or targeted during the course of your interview.

I’m sorry I can’t give you the reassurance you’re looking for on this issue.

No Mom,

It was quite useful as always. I think I would attend the interview alone. Sometimes you should take the risk since presence of a lawyer is not gonna make an obvious change in it!!!

Thank you SOOOOO much again

What should I say if I forgot what I put down for my previous work history. I worked at two places at the same time before my current employment but only put down one and can't remember which one. I don't want to say the wrong place if I'm asked. Should I say at the start of the interview that I worked at two places and that I couldn't remember if I wrote down both places on my i-485 or just let the questioning start and guess one of them if they ask about previous employment. My interview is next Thursday San Antonio.

What should I say if I forgot what I put down for my previous work history. I worked at two places at the same time before my current employment but only put down one and can't remember which one. I don't want to say the wrong place if I'm asked. Should I say at the start of the interview that I worked at two places and that I couldn't remember if I wrote down both places on my i-485 or just let the questioning start and guess one of them if they ask about previous employment. My interview is next Thursday San Antonio.

Say the truth.