• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

1. I don’t understand what you mean by where to write the information.

2. Some cashier’s check have a “memo” section where you can indicate your CN. Some have enough room that allows the CN to be typed above the remitter’s name. You can also note the CN at the back of it. Alternatively, go to the post and purchase money order - CN gets noted on the memo section of the money order.

3. The SAE that will be included should not be sealed, you don’t put anything inside the SAE, you just include it inside the one you’re using to mail the payment form and the payment itself.

I just wanted to say thank you. How great a human being like you can be!

Wish you best of the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I don’t understand what you mean by where to write the information.

2. Some cashier’s check have a “memo” section where you can indicate your CN. Some have enough room that allows the CN to be typed above the remitter’s name. You can also note the CN at the back of it. Alternatively, go to the post and purchase money order - CN gets noted on the memo section of the money order.

3. The SAE that will be included should not be sealed, you don’t put anything inside the SAE, you just include it inside the one you’re using to mail the payment form and the payment itself.

In USCIS website is mentioned:

When Paying Adjustment of Status Fees Include:
1. All information completed below.

DV Program Case Number: _____________________________________
Selectee Surname _____________________________________________
Selectee Given Name __________________________________________
Address ______________________________________________________
City: State: Zip Code: __________________________________________
Payment for ____________ persons adjusting status in the U.S. (Number of Persons)
Total Amount enclosed ____________________ (Fee amount times the number of persons adjusting status in the U.S.)

I thought i should write above information as they are ordered above on back of the check or money order.
But, as you uploaded a sample money order it seems that i should write the above information as ordered and wanted on check. Am i right?
I mean i do not need to write the above info on back of the check. right?

Thanks.

Another question,

How many stamp i need to put on each envelop?
should i buy some special stamp or there is no difference between stamps in this regard(DV lottery)?

In USCIS website is mentioned:

When Paying Adjustment of Status Fees Include:
1. All information completed below.

DV Program Case Number: _____________________________________
Selectee Surname _____________________________________________
Selectee Given Name __________________________________________
Address ______________________________________________________
City: State: Zip Code: __________________________________________
Payment for ____________ persons adjusting status in the U.S. (Number of Persons)
Total Amount enclosed ____________________ (Fee amount times the number of persons adjusting status in the U.S.)

I thought i should write above information as they are ordered above on back of the check or money order.
But, as you uploaded a sample money order it seems that i should write the above information as ordered and wanted on check. Am i right?
I mean i do not need to write the above info on back of the check. right?

Thanks.

You copy the above information into a Word document, fill it out and send it with the cashiers check/money order. That document will be stamped and get sent back to you as the DV fee payment receipt. You still need to make sure your CN is listed on the money order/cashiers check as that is how the payment gets matched with your DV information in case it gets separated from the form.

Another question,

should i buy some special stamp or there is no difference between stamps in this regard(DV lottery)?
Simply answer and action:
Go to the closest USPS and ask for self-addressed stamped envelope (Of course, it's not free) And use a bigger envelop to include this self-addressed stamped envelope, and checks and the information MOM mentioned print out as word. Send it. That's it.

Another question,

Just the regular 49 cents stamp (or whatever the current cost of a regular standard envelope) is all you need for the SAE. You can do the same for the envelope you’ll use in mailing it out to Missouri unless you prefer to do special delivery or include tracking which I think is unnecessary.

Simply answer and action:
Go to the closest USPS and ask for self-addressed stamped envelope (Of course, it's not free) And use a bigger envelop to include this self-addressed stamped envelope, and checks and the information MOM mentioned print out as word. Send it. That's it.

There’s really no need to go buy a SAE from the post office - all he has to do is get a regular size envelope, self address it and slap a 49 cents stamp on it.

A follow-up to this question:
If the money order is too small and that, after writing the full DV program etc. St Louis street address in the recipient section there is only a small “memo” space left just enough for the CN, is it ok to only write the CN and not put the selectee name on the money order itself (due to lack of space) and instead attach the DOS form with all the information @jimy ny mentioned in his question (DV CN, specter surname, ... etc.)? In other words: is the selected name ABSOLUTELY required on the money order itself or is the CN on the money order enough if the other selectee details appear on the DC fee form?
If I remember correctly, my DV fee was paid with my spouse together with one cashier check and put total of two people amount $660. And we just wrote DV fee for two people in the memo part. Since you will print out another form that include all your DV case info and send it along. That is my experience. FYI. Good luck.

Are you asking this after taking a look at an actual money order? I suggest you look at the attached sample.

how-to-fill-out-a-money-order-properly.png

And I suggest you read the instructions provided for making the payment by the way.

If you don’t want to answer my specific question you should just say so instead of assuming I didn’t read the instructions. My question is a practical question, given I did not use a postal money order(because I know of previous selectees who used other money orders that are not postal money orders and were fine), I used a western union money order. If you look it up(because the picture won’t attach here). After filling out the dv program as “pay to” along with its address in St. Louis MO, It only has space for has a small space left.

If I remember correctly, my DV fee was paid with my spouse together with one cashier check and put total of two people amount $660. And we just wrote DV fee for two people in the memo part. Since you will print out another form that include all your DV case info and send it along. That is my experience. FYI. Good luck.
Thank you @Mxmlittle you answered my question in a non-judgemental way, it’s much appreciated. That’s what I thought too, I also wrote on the “DV fee form” “please see money order enclosed for DV fee payment”. I used a WesternUnion money order. I was told by a previous selectee that any money order (not necessarily a postal money order) would do. Did you use a postal money order?

Dear mom,

I was reading the instruction for form i-485 which has been placed in USCIS website.
Again, i do not want to argue about my case, but, in page 39 of mentioned form, under section of "Additional Categories" has been written:

Evidence of Financial Support,
If you are filing Form I-485 as a DV applicant, you do not need to submit evidence of financial support.

1- I wonder, how you can interpret the above statement compare to number 9 of "What Evidence Must You Submit with Form I-485?" section of the mentioned form.

2- Have you ever seen any Aoser whom could got his or her green card without showing financial support?

Any response from you and other members would be appreciated in advance.
Thanks.
I think the Number 9 part if you read thru again, you will find all words used here is "Generally, In general" Which mean it did not say 100% nor 0%. So everything will be judged by the IO, if IO review your case and think you don't need evidence of financial support, then you don't need it. But if IO think you need, then you have to have one. Of course, you can print out the instruction of i485 and show page 39 to IO if you want to. I think all AOSers just want to play it safe, play by the rule. Another thing is all the IOs review and interview so many i485s, DV based is pretty rare compares with family based or employment based. So your interview IO may not fully familiar with DV based and may use his/her judgment experience from other 485s like family based or employment based towards to your case. That's why suggestion is still having a evidence of financial support just to be safe. Just my 2 cents

If you don’t want to answer my specific question you should just say so instead of assuming I didn’t read the instructions. My question is a practical question, given I did not use a postal money order(because I know of previous selectees who used other money orders that are not postal money orders and were fine), I used a western union money order. If you look it up(because the picture won’t attach here). After filling out the dv program as “pay to” along with its address in St. Louis MO, It only has space for has a small space left.

Ok. So I’m going on record now to say: I don’t want to answer your specific question and wouldn’t be doing so.

Thank you @Mxmlittle you answered my question in a non-judgemental way, it’s much appreciated. That’s what I thought too, I also wrote on the “DV fee form” “please see money order enclosed for DV fee payment”. I used a WesternUnion money order. I was told by a previous selectee that any money order (not necessarily a postal money order) would do. Did you use a postal money order?
First, I would say PLEASE consider MOM being a voluntary SUPER EXPERIENCED moderator that MOM doing this for years, and maybe many things MOM will think it's a nonsense question but still answered. And because MOM is so experienced that the attitude might be get a little inpatient. Please acknowledge that just like if you're a grown up and your niece/nephew/children asking some simply math question and you may loose patient during the process~ Another is MOM also has his/her life and spending time to read thru threads is not an easy work and time consuming as well... We're ppl not machine, therefore we have temper, personality, and different perspective. That's what make this world more diversity (and that's why you're lucky enough to get picked in this diversity visa, isn't it?)

As for your question, I think I purchased money order at Walmart. (sorry previously i said cashier check) Yes, I purchase money order from Walmart, so you should be good then. Good luck!

Ok. So I’m going on record now to say: I don’t want to answer your specific question and wouldn’t be doing so.
Yeah, who cares, keep assumptions and judgments to yourself, I got my answer elsewhere, so I’m good!

Last edited:
First, I would say PLEASE consider MOM being a voluntary SUPER EXPERIENCED moderator that MOM doing this for years, and maybe many things MOM will think it's a nonsense question but still answered. And because MOM is so experienced that the attitude might be get a little inpatient. Please acknowledge that just like if you're a grown up and your niece/nephew/children asking some simply math question and you may loose patient during the process~ Another is MOM also has his/her life and spending time to read thru threads is not an easy work and time consuming as well... We're ppl not machine, therefore we have temper, personality, and different perspective. That's what make this world more diversity (and that's why you're lucky enough to get picked in this diversity visa, isn't it?)

As for your question, I think I purchased money order at Walmart. (sorry previously i said cashier check) Yes, I purchase money order from Walmart, so you should be good then. Good luck!

In those situations she should just keep quiet instead of assuming things, a question on this forum is not a question to herself, it’s a question to all members; I don’t feel the need to assume things about people when they ask basic questions, I just keep quiet and let others answer.

In those situations she should just keep quiet instead of assuming things, a question on this forum is not a question to herself, it’s a question to all members; I don’t feel the need to assume things about people when they ask basic questions, I just keep quiet and let others answer.

Just wow. Mom is the one who put the spreadsheet together and is the expert here. Everyone defers to her. This forum literally wouldn’t exist without her. Talk about assuming things when you should keep quiet... guess you will continue to get your answers elsewhere, huh.

Just wow. Mom is the one who put the spreadsheet together and is the expert here. Everyone defers to her. This forum literally wouldn’t exist without her. Talk about assuming things when you should keep quiet... guess you will continue to get your answers elsewhere, huh.

I don’t care, she’s not God, I don’t have to defer to her just because you do. Also, just mind your own business, will you?

I don’t care, she’s not God, I don’t have to defer to her just because you do. Also, just mind your own business, will you?

It’s okay to not need my help, but you need to stop being so rude. This is the only warning you will get!