• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 Starts Today

It's not what local law recognizes, it's what US law recognizes. For example:
- you need a formal marriage certificate or evidence of a traditional ceremony even where local law recognizes common-law marriages
- you may only bring one spouse even if local law recognizes polygamy (and I believe you need to divorce the others before the visa will be granted)
- gay marriage partners are accepted by the US even if they are from countries where gay marriage is illegal (and therefore married outside their country of
Hi SusieQQQ
ok so how do you prove a traditional ceremony? Coz in my case we r married traditionally no marriage certificate yet and have 1 child. on both our applications we clicked "married". So r u saying we r doomed.

Hi SusieQQQ
ok so how do you prove a traditional ceremony? Coz in my case we r married traditionally no marriage certificate yet and have 1 child. on both our applications we clicked "married". So r u saying we r doomed.

Susie said "or evidence of a traditional ceremony". Evidence. That may mean photos, it can mean sworn statements from officials or guests at the wedding. Obviously the child is also compelling evidence. So - think about what evidence you can provide.

Personally I would get legally married also.

Hi SusieQQQ

That's different to what you said earlier, when you (if I recall correctly) spoke about cohabitation. Cohabitation/common law partners doesn't need a ceremony, just people move in together and turn recognized that they are partners by law sometimes. Simon answered you about the evidence.

That's different to what you said earlier, when you (if I recall correctly) spoke about cohabitation. Cohabitation/common law partners doesn't need a ceremony, just people move in together and turn recognized that they are partners by law sometimes. Simon answered you about the evidence.
oh it wasn't me who talked about cohabitation it was another person. Any way thanx for the advice. Will definitely do something about the marriage certificate soon.

W
I wish good luck to everyone, please be careful when filling the form. I've just learned today that country of elegibility is not the same as country of residence. I was making this mistake for years. I almost made it today but fixed in in a last moment possible.

I have a question. I made a mistake in my wife's name. I wrote "Lana" instead of full "Svetlana". When she submitted her own application she used correct version. Do you think we are going to be disqualified for this?

Hi, I'm an Indian, born and brought up in India and my wife is a Kenyan, she born and brought up in Kisumu, Kenya, now I'm living with her in kisumu, so if I register(which I already registered) which country should I mention as a country of eligibility? Country of residency is Kenya I know that

W

Hi, I'm an Indian, born and brought up in India and my wife is a Kenyan, she born and brought up in Kisumu, Kenya, now I'm living with her in kisumu, so if I register(which I already registered) which country should I mention as a country of eligibility? Country of residency is Kenya I know that

I'm sure you already know the answer to this question considering you got selected in 2014 with a high CN which unfortunately didn't become current, and in 2015 you asked the same question which we answered.

I seem to be less stressed with every application year! Well, it's in. Who knows, maybe next year will be the lucky one.

Best of luck all, and warm wishes for the rest of the year. See you all in May!

Q
Best of luck!!