• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hello fellow selectees! Wow, it feels good to say that. This is my seventh year entering and I've finally been selected! Woohoo. My case number is OC09XX so I'm hoping I will get an interview and for everything to go through...does anyone know when OC09XX would normally get interviewed? I'm just in the process of submitted my DS-260 this weekend and then...I guess I'll play the waiting game.

Hello fellow selectees! Wow, it feels good to say that. This is my seventh year entering and I've finally been selected! Woohoo. My case number is OC09XX so I'm hoping I will get an interview and for everything to go through...does anyone know when OC09XX would normally get interviewed? I'm just in the process of submitted my DS-260 this weekend and then...I guess I'll play the waiting game.

Congratulations!!

March/ April? Check the historical data from Britsimons Blog britsimonsays.com (sorry can't seem to post the actual link here).

Hi all, this is my 1st post here,

I have received confirmation that I was selected with no. 2018EU00034xxx. Can anybody tell me if it is OK or am I out of luck?

Hello!

First post here, thankful for the information available.

After 5 years of entering, I finally got selected for DV2018.

• However, my case number is 2018OC0000208x.
  • From my research about the process, and speaking with 2 friends who won in the last year, I believe this number is high?
  • However - I spoke with the KCC and they advised that for the last 2 years all numbers went CURRENT around May..
  • Can anyone shed some light on my chances or is that useless considering we don't know yet the stats on how many selectees, etc..
  • Also - wondering if the whole Trump issue would affect things this year - people last year applying for the lottery in October and early November would have been thinking Hillary was going to be president - wondering if the current political climate and the way the majority of the rest of the world currently views America and this current administration would be a deterrent for people that DID win but choose not to proceed if they get interviews... If this was the case it would mean that there is more hope for higher case numbers?
Thanks for any relevant responses.

Hello!

• From my research about the process, and speaking with 2 friends who won in the last year, I believe this number is high?
  • However - I spoke with the KCC and they advised that for the last 2 years all numbers went CURRENT around May..
  • Can anyone shed some light on my chances or is that useless considering we don't know yet the stats on how many selectees, etc..
  • Also - wondering if the whole Trump issue would affect things this year - people last year applying for the lottery in October and early November would have been thinking Hillary was going to be president - wondering if the current political climate and the way the majority of the rest of the world currently views America and this current administration would be a deterrent for people that DID win but choose not to proceed if they get interviews... If this was the case it would mean that there is more hope for higher case numbers?

Britsimon has written a fair bit about the numbers here and on his blog so I'm not going to repeat that.

Re Trump - personally I'd think people recognize that emigration is a long-term decision and look past who the current president is, but I guess there might be some people who'd react as you think. Of course, there might equally be people more likely to come for a Trump presidency than a Democratic one, reflecting the shifting mood to the right in Europe too.

Ok, thank you.

So for clarification - at what point would someone who is aware of the process, like Britsimon, be able to have more of a concrete idea as to estimating if DV2018 might go current at some point? Do we need to wait for stats to be released or the first VB? I'm reading as many articles and resources as I can find, but still not entirely clear on how to calculate the likelihood of the next year going current also like DV2016 and DV2017.

Hi Guys, I'm filling in my DS-260. Do Aussies usually have an Alien Registration Number if they've only ever visited the US on the visa waiver program? I've checked my visa waiver receipt and passport for a number but can't find one. I'm also assuming I tick 'no' for the question of if I've ever had a US visa if I've only ever used the visa waiver.

Hello!

Also need to take in to consideration people's current life circumstances - people may have gotten a new job they really love, met a new partner, started a family, become ill etc.

I personally after being third time lucky entering and getting selected, realise from all the research I have done and reading of these forums over the past 3 years that I have a high case number but surprisingly I'm actually ok with it. I believe that if I'm meant to get to interview I will. I also am not rushing to fill in my DS 260 but will probably hold off until towards the end of the year. I don't know a great deal about it but after reading some other posts in some Facebook groups that I am a part of, the health care system in the USA is going through some major changes and will become expensive for a lot of people! I had thyroid cancer at the end of last year and had to have a thyroidectomy so for myself, this now means regular blood tests and medication every day for the rest of my life. I'm fine other than this but it makes you appreciate Medicare and the cost of health care in Australia being so much better than in the USA. Before I had cancer it wasn't something I thought about really, but once you do, you do re-evaluate things such as the cost of health care and the medical system. Like everyone else who has been selected in this thread, I'm definitely hoping my case number gets to interview but if it doesn't, then it's not the end of the world! For us OC'ers, we also need to remember to be thankful that while we have the opportunity to go to another great country like the USA, if we don't get there we are still lucky to live in such a great country as Australia :)

Dilemma, its a nice way of thinking about the situation and you are right. It's just funny that I am selected this year because literally right this minute going through new visa application (have been on an O visa for the last 6 years) and having a GC would make things a hell of a lot easier and cheaper. Really looking forward to some more information/stats to be released so we can have some idea as to whether high numbers such as mine or yours (mine is 2018OC000020xx) could possibly become current late in the process next year, like July for a September interview..

The US is what it is. There are plenty of ways in which the US is better than Australia, and plenty of ways in which Australia has the edge. In the end, it comes down to what you value more and that's an individual decision. We like it here. We know plenty of Aussies who don't. Your mileage may vary.

Ok, thank you.

So for clarification - at what point would someone who is aware of the process, like Britsimon, be able to have more of a concrete idea as to estimating if DV2018 might go current at some point? Do we need to wait for stats to be released or the first VB? I'm reading as many articles and resources as I can find, but still not entirely clear on how to calculate the likelihood of the next year going current also like DV2016 and DV2017.

Probably won't know with any real clarity for some months into the next fiscal year, and even them there have been past years where the last couple of months have taken people by surprise in terms of what's eventuated. Certainly way beyond the first visa bulletin.

Ok, thank you.

Around June we will see the per country selectee numbers. WE can already see high selectee numbers so the selectee counts will help confirm the density of cases being the same as previous years or not. That will give a better idea - but it will still leave uncertainty.

Hi all, congratulations to all OC selectees this year. Just joining onto this thread now :)

I'm the super high OC case number that everyone is using as the max. benchmark OC24**. Have been waiting 8 years for this and looks like I'll probably luck out again. Was so excited to see that letter come up and then saw the case number...

Congrats to everyone with the lower case numbers though! Excited to see your journeys begin.
Good luck leahsmg. You deserve to get an interview just for your tenacity:)

After being selected this year, I've spent the last day or so reading up on all the details of what happens next.

I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has put these forums together and also Britsimon for the wealth of information on your site. Its such a big help to know this information especially when its not available through the official website.

Although I'm not expecting to get to interview stage (20**) its really quite interesting to learn more about the process.
I've made my own spreadsheet for the OC area taking Britsimon's historical visa bulletin info and adding in number of entrants, selectees, OCs and issued visas for each year, where I can find the info. (Happy to post if anyone wants to see it). I calculated the number of OCs from number of selectees as 60% of the total e.g for last year with 1450 selectees that would mean 870 OCs.
I've found quite a few years where the visa bulletin cut off point is higher than the number of CNs I calculated and I wanted to ask if the numbers in the visa bulletin referred to the actual case number? For example in 2016 the number of selectees was 1500. 60% of this is 900. In the visa bulletin the number hits 950 in April, then 1050 in May then 1100 in June, then goes current. Any thoughts on why it didn't just go current in April if there was only roughly 900 CNs? And how they can have a CN cut-off past the actual number there are for the OC region?

I think I'm becoming a DV nerd...

Hi all,

First off I'd just like to say thank you for assisting selectees and continuously contributing to the wealth of information on here for the Diversity Visa. This was my first time entering the lottery and I am very grateful to have been randomly selected. However my mind has been absolutely blown by how complicated the selection process is, and rather than continue to confuse myself, I was just hoping to clarify a couple of my conclusions.

1) Would I be correct in saying that while OC17XX is a relatively high CN, and given that the past 10+ years (with the exception of 2014/2015) have gone 'Current' between the months of June to September the following year, I still have quite a good chance at securing an interview? Or have I misinterpreted the meaning of 'Current'?

2) Does this mean that I essentially will not receive any further correspondence until at least June 2018? I've submitted the application form and have received confirmation.

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, that will provide perfect clarification and I'll simply just have to continue with life until then!

Again, thank you to all the veterans here and good luck to all my fellow selectees!

Cheers,

James

'
I've found quite a few years where the visa bulletin cut off point is higher than the number of CNs I calculated and I wanted to ask if the numbers in the visa bulletin referred to the actual case number? For example in 2016 the number of selectees was 1500. 60% of this is 900. In the visa bulletin the number hits 950 in April, then 1050 in May then 1100 in June, then goes current. Any thoughts on why it didn't just go current in April if there was only roughly 900 CNs? And how they can have a CN cut-off past the actual number there are for the OC region?

There are "holes" in the CNs, so they are not (for example) 900 consecutive CNs but 900 valid/existing numbers within a series that goes up to 1200. This happens when an entry is initially selected and assigned a case number, then deemed to be invalid (at that stage usually from a duplicate entry, now possibly also because of reusing old photos) and scrapped - such entrants never get told of course they were an initial selection, they just get "not selected".

I calculated the number of OCs from number of selectees as 60% of the total e.g for last year with 1450 selectees that would mean 870 OCs.

I think I'm becoming a DV nerd...
https://travel.state.gov/content/da...016AnnualReport/FY16AnnualReport-TableVII.pdf will give you an idea of the number of issued visas.
Be careful with the published selectees count – you can't see selectees from a "2nd draw".
Lastly, don't spend too much time looking at historic visa bulletins. They're fun, but little more. In DV-2016 they raised the cut-off for a while without having any case numbers to make current.