• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

I want to join this wave and take a moment to thank @Sm1smom, @Britsimon and @Xarthisius for their incredible works. I was initially planning to do AOS but later consequences forced us to do CP. Thankfully everything went smooth for us, although I did CP I was following this forum daily and consuming as much information as I can to fully grasp everything and to be prepared for everything. Just recently me and my wife received our GCs in the mail. Again, thank you and congratulations on all of you who have obtained their cards. And best of luck to those that have still chance.

Just quick question: Although document that come with card say I have to carry with myself all the time, is it ok to leave somewhere safe to prevent potential loss?

I want to join this wave and take a moment to thank @Sm1smom, @Britsimon and @Xarthisius for their incredible works. I was initially planning to do AOS but later consequences forced us to do CP. Thankfully everything went smooth for us, although I did CP I was following this forum daily and consuming as much information as I can to fully grasp everything and to be prepared for everything. Just recently me and my wife received our GCs in the mail. Again, thank you and congratulations on all of you who have obtained their cards. And best of luck to those that have still chance.

Just quick question: Although document that come with card say I have to carry with myself all the time, is it ok to leave somewhere safe to prevent potential loss?

Congratulations.

Although USCIS instruction says LPRs should always carry their GC with them, truth is a vast majority don’t.

Hello guys, does anyone applying for AOS and did interview has pending name check until now ?
I think I am the only person who is the main DV applicant winner has extensive background check untill now. This make me feel as I am really bad person. So sad

Hello guys. Thanks for everyone for sharing useful information (especially mom).
Finally got GCs. Here is my experience.
EU region, Current in May. Applying with my wife (i'm main applicant), we are on L1 and L2 visas. Due to some issues i've managed to sent package in beginning of June. FO is San Jose, CA
- Package accepted on 6/10. After 2 weeks of waiting i've wrote email to lockbox support (06/26);
- 06/28 acceptance email and check cached. case status change to " We accepted the fingerprint fee ..."
- 07/23 scheduled bio, bio walk in was not granted; after this step i've got no changes on case status. After a month i've scheduled infopass.
- 08/31 infopass: officer was nice, I told him that my case is DV based and show DV page from USCIS website. After some time he confirmed that name check for both applicants completed and they have AOS package. Then he told me that guys who do interview schedule know about sept 30 deadline, and i should receive interview letter soon.
- 09/07 interview letter.
- 09/18 AOS Interview: i believe my experience is not differs from others'. I was asked some common questions along with some of the "yes-no". Officer took my paychecks, tax return and work verification. He also checked birth certs originals and marriage cert. I was prepared for this. BUT I didn't expect that officer will ask i-134 for my wife, because she is not working. Maybe i missed that part, but i thought it's not required for derivative applicant. Officer told me that I should fill this form for my wife, moreover he printed this form for me and asked me to do it in the hall. Then he told us that he did't make a decision by will try to make it by EOD. After a couple of hours case status for me and my wife changed to "Your interview ... was completed, and your case must be reviewed. "
- 09/19 case status for my wife changed to " new card is being produced", while mine status hasn't changed. My status changed to " new card mailed " on 09/21.
- 09/26 GCs received

As mom says, most don’t, party because replacing a lost or stolen card is expensive and takes many months. The exception tends to be those who live near a border and “look” like they might be illegal, with lots of patrols around.

As mom says, most don’t, party because replacing a lost or stolen card is expensive and takes many months. The exception tends to be those who live near a border and “look” like they might be illegal, with lots of patrols around.
Oooo gotcha, makes sense. Alright, I guess we will keep it home somewhere safe :)
Thank you!

hi everyone.
after a long run we finally got an update that our case is approved and a new card is being produced.
here is our history:
case #: 2018AS000045**
sending the files: Feb 19-2018
biometrics: Mar 12-2018
first update (finger prints approved): Apr 3-2018
EAD received: July 2018
case approved: Sep 28-2018
no interview
thanks for sharing and helping thorough this process.

Congratulations on coming to the end of the journey for now. Until you decide to proceed with naturalization or sponsor a spouse/parent(s) when you qualify to do so ;)

Although you’ve stated this forum and your GC will not change your personality, I would actually encourage you to let your experience in this forum influence you in a positive way. The kindness, friendship, and encouragement you’ve received from completely faceless strangers should hopefully encourage you to seek and pursue opportunities in which you can make a positive change in the lives of strangers where you stand to gain nothing by being nice to them.

All the best and enjoy your new status.
Kudos ‍

Timeline update for those who might need this info.

EU region current was in June. F1.
Due to some difficulties filed in August.
08/16/18 Sent AOS package to Chicago FO
08/21/18 Accepted AOS package
09/18/18 Supervisor contacted me over email to schedule interview apt
09/20/18 Interview apt
09/20/18 Walk IN for BIO

09/21/18 Status has changed to: New CArd is being produced
09/25/18 Actual bio appointment
09/26/18 Welcome LEtter

09/28/18 Green card has arrived.

Chicago FO was very nice. It took 30 days from 08-21 time when they accepted package to 09/21 when my case was changed to approval.

I brought every single document to FO. I showed old papers from I-20 that I got 6 years ago even though they were expired already.

I also brought official documents from Cook county to show I had no criminal convictions (this forum suggested). I proved them with my papers that I have never obeyed US law. So basically I did everything that this forum advices me to do. I even brought I-134 form and asked if officer needs it. He said I don’t need it, but he took it just in case.

Hi all,

We finally got our cards today! Here's our timeline:

EU, current in April, both had F1 status prior to AOS. The case was handled by the Santa Ana, CA field office.

04/17: Package sent
04/24: Acceptance notification from the Lockbox
04/28: Bio is scheduled for 05/17
05/17: Biometrics
06/27: Interview, the officer wanted to review some details, also background check was still pending (fingerprints cleared by this time)
07/31: Officer contacts us through the portal to let us know the background check is still pending
07/31: Infopass, officer at the window cannot see the background check status
08/15: Infopass, very unhelpful officer, tells us that she cannot access the background check data and that we should "let them do their job"
08/22: Officer contacts us again, background check is still pending
08/24: Contacted the congressperson's office
08/31: Infopass, very polite and helpful officer, tells us that the background checks are still pending and contacts our IO to make sure once again that he's aware of the deadline
09/07: Received the combined EAD/AP cards (not even sure why we applied for them in the first place - had no intention of using them, so that we could revert to the F1 status easily)
09/11: Contacted the CIS Ombudsman
09/17: Infopass, background check is still pending for me, but cleared for my husband
09/20: Ombudsman's office received request and contacted the USCIS
09/24: Card production
09/28: NOA in the mail, case has been approved
09/29: Received the GCs in the mail

Not sure if contacting the congressperson's office and the Ombudsman's office helped in our particular case, since the IO was very helpful and understanding, but the background check took a long time to clear. We suspect the reason for the prolonged background check is that both of us are STEM doctoral students, and we had ~1 month long APs whenever we applied for visas before. Overall, this has been an incredibly stressful and draining (money- and energy-wise) process, but it was all worth it in the end! I was really worried they will run out of the visas in early September, so this whole month was a constant panic attack for me.

Thanks to everyone who's been commenting in this thread! Good luck to everyone applying next year.

Hi all,

We finally got our cards today! Here's our timeline:

EU, current in April, both had F1 status prior to AOS. The case was handled by the Santa Ana, CA field office.

04/17: Package sent
04/24: Acceptance notification from the Lockbox
04/28: Bio is scheduled for 05/17
05/17: Biometrics
06/27: Interview, the officer wanted to review some details, also background check was still pending (fingerprints cleared by this time)
07/31: Officer contacts us through the portal to let us know the background check is still pending
07/31: Infopass, officer at the window cannot see the background check status
08/15: Infopass, very unhelpful officer, tells us that she cannot access the background check data and that we should "let them do their job"
08/22: Officer contacts us again, background check is still pending
08/24: Contacted the congressperson's office
08/31: Infopass, very polite and helpful officer, tells us that the background checks are still pending and contacts our IO to make sure once again that he's aware of the deadline
09/07: Received the combined EAD/AP cards (not even sure why we applied for them in the first place - had no intention of using them, so that we could revert to the F1 status easily)
09/11: Contacted the CIS Ombudsman
09/17: Infopass, background check is still pending for me, but cleared for my husband
09/20: Ombudsman's office received request and contacted the USCIS
09/24: Card production
09/28: NOA in the mail, case has been approved
09/29: Received the GCs in the mail

Not sure if contacting the congressperson's office and the Ombudsman's office helped in our particular case, since the IO was very helpful and understanding, but the background check took a long time to clear. We suspect the reason for the prolonged background check is that both of us are STEM doctoral students, and we had ~1 month long APs whenever we applied for visas before. Overall, this has been an incredibly stressful and draining (money- and energy-wise) process, but it was all worth it in the end! I was really worried they will run out of the visas in early September, so this whole month was a constant panic attack for me.

Thanks to everyone who's been commenting in this thread! Good luck to everyone applying next year.
Congratulation. I am very happy for you. I am same your situation but for me I started my background check later July 17th so they didn’t complete my background check by September 30th then they reject my application. But I am wondering why STEM doctoral students get longer processing time in background check ?

Congratulation. I am very happy for you. I am same your situation but for me I started my background check later July 17th so they didn’t complete my background check by September 30th then they reject my application. But I am wondering why STEM doctoral students get longer processing time in background check ?

I'm so, so sorry to hear that!! Hopefully you can pursue other AOS avenues, like the EB-1 visa.

I'm only hypothesizing here, so I might be wrong, but certain areas (nuclear, materials, chemistry and others) are on the Technology Alert List. According to the FBI, that might make you a "Visa Mantis" category, which is subjected to additional scrutiny due to potential access to sensitive technologies.

Hello everyone! I thought this day would never come or worse, I would have to write a sad sad post on sep 28 evening saying that all hope is lost and our AOS application was denied...
But no, fortunately, I’m writing today to share happy news: our e-case status finally changed to “New card is being produced”! It was a long a tiresome journey.
We are here on E2 visa. We both played and my husband was selected in DV Lottery 2018. Our number was current in December. I’m from EU, he’s from AF (Muslim country, not in the travel ban) but EU nationality. We used attorney’s help to assemble and file the package. I would totally recommend to do that, but this forum is quite helpful for thouse who are confident and have full case neat. But still, we filed one month later, and thought that we have plenty of time. Don’t do that! File ASAP! You will be counting those days afterwards.

CN 2018AF0000XXXX
FO Los Angeles
12/26/17 File sent to Lockbox
12/29/17 File received
01/09/18 NOA received
01/16/18 Bio letter
01/30/18 Bio appointment attended
02/16/18 KCC sent file to LA FO. Also, turned out that we haven’t received a receipt notice from DOS for DV Lottery processing fee, which was send to us somewhen in Aug 2017. KCC was nice to send a copy by email after my request.
05/08/18 First InfoPass. IO wasn’t even aware of some lottery
06/07/18 2nd Infopass. File is received by FO. Case is pending
07/17/18 We made an online inquiry for “Case outside normal processing time” (it’s been more than 6 month, hence system allowed us to submit it). Got answered 07/28/18 by mail: Your case receipt #xxxxx is currently pending for thoroughly extended review for futher processing and background checks.
08/01/18 3rd Infopass. FBI name check was initiated 07/28/17
08/28/18 4th Infopass. Background check is cleared. Wait for the interview letter
09/08/18 IL arrived
09/17/18 Interview. We both got our IL, date was the same but time was hour 30 min apart. We were invited to the office together nonetheless. IO was nice but kept himself professional, and told us right away that my husband’s FBI namecheck wasn’t done (! big shock, because we were told on InfoPass that all security checks are cleared). Mine was in order though. IO assured us that he expedided it and it should arrive any day now. With fallen spirit we continued interview. IO took our oaths, fingerprints, DOB, place OB, date of marriage, went through security question from I485, asked for originals of birth certificates, marriage, education, passports, tax returns, bank statements, receipt from DOS, mutual photos, insurance, lease. When everything was covered he walked us to the door and said that he has to wait for the FBI check to make his decision, that he’s aware of the time limit and, if anything, he will contact us. With mixed feeling we went home.
09/25/18 5th Infopass. I’ve decided to go and try our luck one last time, since there was never an update on E-case status and there was no other way to find out the results. IO said that our officer is currently working on our case. He didn’t give us info that FBI check is done or not. With little hope we came back home to discover an hour after InfoPass that there’s an update on our cases. BOOM! Cards are being produced!
09/29/18 GC received, along with Approval notice.

Still can’t believe it. Huge respect and gratitude to all forum activists and moderators. Without you guys, we would be in the dark all those long months without news. Reading this forum gave me hope and reassurance.

Thank you! And good luck to those who still waiting for response or next year’s AOSers who will be reading this post.

P.S. And we still don’t know for sure why it took FO almost 9 months to finish our case. Looking back, I’m asking myself, maybe it would have been worth to go through CP?..

Hello everyone! I thought this day would never come or worse, I would have to write a sad sad post on sep 28 evening saying that all hope is lost and our AOS application was denied...
But no, fortunately, I’m writing today to share happy news: our e-case status finally changed to “New card is being produced”! It was a long a tiresome journey.
We are here on E2 visa. We both played and my husband was selected in DV Lottery 2018. Our number was current in December. I’m from EU, he’s from AF (Muslim country, not in the travel ban) but EU nationality. We used attorney’s help to assemble and file the package. I would totally recommend to do that, but this forum is quite helpful for thouse who are confident and have full case neat. But still, we filed one month later, and thought that we have plenty of time. Don’t do that! File ASAP! You will be counting those days afterwards.

CN 2018AF0000XXXX
FO Los Angeles
12/26/17 File sent to Lockbox
12/29/17 File received
01/09/18 NOA received
01/16/18 Bio letter
01/30/18 Bio appointment attended
02/16/18 KCC sent file to LA FO. Also, turned out that we haven’t received a receipt notice from DOS for DV Lottery processing fee, which was send to us somewhen in Aug 2017. KCC was nice to send a copy by email after my request.
05/08/18 First InfoPass. IO wasn’t even aware of some lottery
06/07/18 2nd Infopass. File is received by FO. Case is pending
07/17/18 We made an online inquiry for “Case outside normal processing time” (it’s been more than 6 month, hence system allowed us to submit it). Got answered 07/28/18 by mail: Your case receipt #xxxxx is currently pending for thoroughly extended review for futher processing and background checks.
08/01/18 3rd Infopass. FBI name check was initiated 07/28/17
08/28/18 4th Infopass. Background check is cleared. Wait for the interview letter
09/08/18 IL arrived
09/17/18 Interview. We both got our IL, date was the same but time was hour 30 min apart. We were invited to the office together nonetheless. IO was nice but kept himself professional, and told us right away that my husband’s FBI namecheck wasn’t done (! big shock, because we were told on InfoPass that all security checks are cleared). Mine was in order though. IO assured us that he expedided it and it should arrive any day now. With fallen spirit we continued interview. IO took our oaths, fingerprints, DOB, place OB, date of marriage, went through security question from I485, asked for originals of birth certificates, marriage, education, passports, tax returns, bank statements, receipt from DOS, mutual photos, insurance, lease. When everything was covered he walked us to the door and said that he has to wait for the FBI check to make his decision, that he’s aware of the time limit and, if anything, he will contact us. With mixed feeling we went home.
09/25/18 5th Infopass. I’ve decided to go and try our luck one last time, since there was never an update on E-case status and there was no other way to find out the results. IO said that our officer is currently working on our case. He didn’t give us info that FBI check is done or not. With little hope we came back home to discover an hour after InfoPass that there’s an update on our cases. BOOM! Cards are being produced!
09/29/18 GC received, along with Approval notice.

Still can’t believe it. Huge respect and gratitude to all forum activists and moderators. Without you guys, we would be in the dark all those long months without news. Reading this forum gave me hope and reassurance.

Thank you! And good luck to those who still waiting for response or next year’s AOSers who will be reading this post.

P.S. And we still don’t know for sure why it took FO almost 9 months to finish our case. Looking back, I’m asking myself, maybe it would have been worth to go through CP?..

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. Couple of comments I would like to make:

1. It isn’t unusual for the desk officers at the FO to have never heard of DV based AOS petitions.

2. Your background check wasn’t initiated on 7/28/2018. It was initiated on 1/30/2018 following the completion of your biometric appointment. It is an automatic process that gets kicked off after bio completion.

3. Turns out opting for AOS was the right choice for you IMO. Why it took 9 months to complete your case is obvious to me - You guys were stuck in prolonged AP due to your husband’s pending background check clearance. You both would have been stuck outside the US for all those months if you had gone the CP route considering how long it took you guys to clear your background check - clearing the background check isn’t faster through CP.

4. It’s interesting to note you used an immigration attorney to assemble and file your AOS package, but this attorney didn’t even notice or point out the fact that your package wasn’t complete - it didn’t include the DV administrative fee payment receipt.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. Couple of comments I would like to make:

1. It isn’t unusual for the desk officers at the FO to have never heard of DV based AOS petitions.

2. Your background check wasn’t initiated on 7/28/2018. It was initiated on 1/30/2018 following the completion of your biometric appointment. It is an automatic process that gets kicked off after bio completion.

3. Turns out opting for AOS was the right choice for you IMO. Why it took 9 months to complete your case is obvious to me - You guys were stuck in prolonged AP due to your husband’s pending background check clearance. You both would have been stuck outside the US for all those months if you had gone the CP route considering how long it took you guys to clear your background check - clearing the background check isn’t faster through CP.

4. It’s interesting to note you used an immigration attorney to assemble and file your AOS package, but this attorney didn’t even notice or point out the fact that your package wasn’t complete - it didn’t include the DV administrative fee payment receipt.

Thank you Sm1smom!
1. My advise to future applicants: be persistent but polite. You never know what IO you will get at your Infopass.
3. Good point.
4. DV cases wasn't his strong side, we knew that and agreed to minimum fees. That's why I had to follow up on the case myself and make sure we bring everything. Forum's help was greatly appreciated!

Hello guys, does anyone applying for AOS and did interview has pending name check until now ?
I think I am the only person who is the main DV applicant winner has extensive background check untill now. This make me feel as I am really bad person. So sad
Yosef, this process is all chance. if someone can not complete it does not mean they are bad people. It just means they had an unfortunate. I hope you can proceed AOs in another way.

Probably no one is 2018 will not come back to check here, but if you do, could you please let me know if there are people from Travel Ban country that get their green card through Lottery in AOS process?

Probably no one is 2018 will not come back to check here, but if you do, could you please let me know if there are people from Travel Ban country that get their green card through Lottery in AOS process?
I think if you are in USA, you are fine. But you will have long background check.