• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi again,

Do you know how long does it take for uscis to send the DV payment receipt ?
I am going to move in the next month, so my address is going to be changed. I wonder if it takes longer than a month, so give them the new address.

Thanks

Could take between 2 weeks to 2 months.

Another question,
The address on the dv payment receipt should be the same as the self stamped envelope?
I have a po box address, can I use that for both?

Hi mom,
I am Canadian Citizen on H1B and my Wife and Son are on H4. On the I485 there is a place asking for non immigrant visa number. Could you explain what number should we put there. All we received at the boarder is I94 which spells out that I am on H1B and my family is on H4. Beside this there is another box "consulate where the visa was issued". Which doesn't apply since we didn't go to consulate to receive the visa and we activated the H1B at the boarder. Currently I have entered our I94 number for the first question and N/A for the second one. But would like to ask for your opinion

Hi mom,
I am Canadian Citizen on H1B and my Wife and Son are on H4. On the I485 there is a place asking for non immigrant visa number. Could you explain what number should we put there. All we received at the boarder is I94 which spells out that I am on H1B and my family is on H4. Beside this there is another box "consulate where the visa was issued". Which doesn't apply since we didn't go to consulate to receive the visa and we activated the H1B at the boarder. Currently I have entered our I94 number for the first question and N/A for the second one. But would like to ask for your opinion

Your I-94 IS NOT your visa number and shouldn't be listed as such. There's a separate section for listing the I-94 information. You should put N/A for both the NIV number and consulate sections.

Hello Sm1smom,

How are you? Thank you that you are still volunteering to answer all questions and posts over the years, and updating the AOS package.

I understand AOS package recommends all selectees to submit the DS-260 regardless of applying AOS or CP. So I will submit it asap. Meanwhile, hope you can suggest for the followings.

1. I have been living in the State with F1 (from junior in a boarding school to college) then H1B (6 yrs) then F1 (studying in a different major as change of career) within two decades. I am the DV-2018 selectee this year. However, do you suggest to hire a lawyer to file the AOS? Can I do all by myself?

2. The DV selected page does not show any barcode like used to in 2014. So does DV-2018 provide barcode at all?

3. Is it necessary to provide tax return for the past 1-3 years?

4. The AOS package says "bank statements", does it mean personal bank statement? Can I show my sponsor's (a friend) bank statement when I applied and accepted to the college in fall 2016?

5. I read USCIS Affidavit of Support. Is it same as the Evidence of Financial Support mentioned in AOS package? Would you please explain more about the Evidence of Financial Support? I do not have any other financial support documents besides the one I submitted to the school when I first applied and got accepted. Can I use that?

6. If USCIS Affidavit of Support is the same thing as the Evidence of Financial Support, would you please explain "When you sign the affidavit of support, you accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant(s) generally until they become U.S. citizens or can be credited with 40 quarters of work."? Does it mean my friend has to support me until I become a citizen? What does 40 quarters of work mean (Googled but confused)?

Many thanks,
hellofriend

Hello Sm1smom,

How are you? Thank you that you are still volunteering to answer all questions and posts over the years, and updating the AOS package.

I understand AOS package recommends all selectees to submit the DS-260 regardless of applying AOS or CP. So I will submit it asap. Meanwhile, hope you can suggest for the followings.

1. I have been living in the State with F1 (from junior in a boarding school to college) then H1B (6 yrs) then F1 (studying in a different major as change of career) within two decades. I am the DV-2018 selectee this year. However, do you suggest to hire a lawyer to file the AOS? Can I do all by myself?

2. The DV selected page does not show any barcode like used to in 2014. So does DV-2018 provide barcode at all?

3. Is it necessary to provide tax return for the past 1-3 years?

4. The AOS package says "bank statements", does it mean personal bank statement? Can I show my sponsor's (a friend) bank statement when I applied and accepted to the college in fall 2016?

5. I read USCIS Affidavit of Support. Is it same as the Evidence of Financial Support mentioned in AOS package? Would you please explain more about the Evidence of Financial Support? I do not have any other financial support documents besides the one I submitted to the school when I first applied and got accepted. Can I use that?

6. If USCIS Affidavit of Support is the same thing as the Evidence of Financial Support, would you please explain "When you sign the affidavit of support, you accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant(s) generally until they become U.S. citizens or can be credited with 40 quarters of work."? Does it mean my friend has to support me until I become a citizen? What does 40 quarters of work mean (Googled but confused)?

Many thanks,
hellofriend

1. I don't see a need to hire an immigration attorney - if you meet the requirements for processing AOS (which are listed on the FAQ tab of the AOS process spreadsheet), then there's no need for one IMO.

2. I don't know, but that's not a big deal. People have been reporting no bar codes the last couple of years.

3. I don't know if it's "necessary" but it's something I recommend - you want to be able to show you've been fulfilling your tax obligations.

4. The essence of the bank statement is partly how you convince the IO you will not become a public charge. If you have no significant savings to prove that and someone else will be providing you with an affidavit of support, the documents accompanying the affidavit must be recen - 2016 documents cannot be used, they're out of date.

5. An affidavit of support, form I-134 in this case, is one of the evidence of financial support documents. You cannot use the same set of documents your used in gaining admission in 2016. If you don't have financial support documents of your own, you need to find someone to fill out form I-134 for you.

6. Anyone signing an affidavit of support on your behalf is saying they will provide for you IF the need arises to ensure you don't become a public charge (i.e. apply for and receive federal benefits you're to eligible for). Technically speaking, the I-134 is not enforceable on the person signing it, but they're still required to make that declaration.

6B. A LPR becomes eligible for such federal benefits either when they become a USC, or they've been credited with 40 quarters of work by SSA - 10 years work history of earning at least a minimum income. This is not based on the total amount of one's income. No matter how high your earnings may be, you can not earn more than 4 QC's in one year.

1. I don't see a need to hire an immigration attorney - if you meet the requirements for processing AOS (which are listed on the FAQ tab of the AOS process spreadsheet), then there's no need for one IMO.

2. I don't know, but that's not a big deal. People have been reporting no bar codes the last couple of years.

3. I don't know if it's "necessary" but it's something I recommend - you want to be able to show you've been fulfilling your tax obligations.

4. The essence of the bank statement is partly how you convince the IO you will not become a public charge. If you have no significant savings to prove that and someone else will be providing you with an affidavit of support, the documents accompanying the affidavit must be recen - 2016 documents cannot be used, they're out of date.

5. An affidavit of support, form I-134 in this case, is one of the evidence of financial support documents. You cannot use the same set of documents your used in gaining admission in 2016. If you don't have financial support documents of your own, you need to find someone to fill out form I-134 for you.

6. Anyone signing an affidavit of support on your behalf is saying they will provide for you IF the need arises to ensure you don't become a public charge (i.e. apply for and receive federal benefits you're to eligible for). Technically speaking, the I-134 is not enforceable on the person signing it, but they're still required to make that declaration.

6B. A LPR becomes eligible for such federal benefits either when they become a USC, or they've been credited with 40 quarters of work by SSA - 10 years work history of earning at least a minimum income. This is not based on the total amount of one's income. No matter how high your earnings may be, you can not earn more than 4 QC's in one year.

Thank Sm1smom!

5. I'm on F1 so no income to show in my bank. I had H1B before, would I be able to show that I am capable to be employed instead of having someone to file I-134? Would this be a choice?

6B. By reading your reply, 40 Quarters of Work is equal to 10 years work history, correct? Would those 6 years of H1B be counted within that 10 years? What about the time I spent in the internships? Could they be counted as well?

7. Asia is Current. Does it mean I can prepare all docs listed in the AOS packages plus the $330 fee for ready to be sent as soon as I received the 2NL?

Many thanks,
hellomyfriend

Last edited:
Thank Sm1smom!

5. I'm on F1 so no income to show in my bank. I had H1B before, would I be able to show that I am capable to be employed instead of having someone to file I-134? Would this be a choice?

6B. By reading your reply, 40 Quarters of Work is equal to 10 years work history, correct? Would those 6 years of H1B be counted within that 10 years? What about the time I spent in the internships? Could they be counted as well?

7. Asia is Current. Does it mean I can prepare all docs listed in the AOS packages plus the $330 fee for ready to be sent as soon as I received the 2NL?

Many thanks,
hellomyfriend

1. Make your petition easy to process, since you're currently on a F1 status I recommend you find someone to fill out an I-130 for you.

2. Are you planning on relying on government support? Anyway, this question has nothing to do with the DV based AOS process, so I'm sorry I'm not going to get into how soon you can claim 40 quarters of work in order to become eligible for government support.

3. You're a DV 2018 selectee, Asia being current now is not applicable to you - that is for DV2017 selectees only. Your FY starts in Oct and the VB announcing the starting cut off numbers for DV2018 comes out in July.

Hi.

I just realized that I made a mistake in my DS260 form, which I already sent to KCC

When describing my past work experience in my country of origin, instead of saying that I worked from february 2014 until December 2014, I wrote until December 2015 (I have been in USA from May 2015)

Should I contact KCC telling them about this? or do you think this mistake has no signicance?

Thank you

Hi all,

I am a PhD student and I was selected in DV 2018. I have F-1 visa and my dependents have F-2; we came in the US in September 2016. My salary as a Teaching Assistant is rather low (about $20k) so I definitely need I-134. I apologize for my stupid questions regarding AOS process:
  1. I-134 – Do I need 1 original copy to include in my package or 2 original copies: 1 signed in the package and 1 signed for the interview?
  2. I did NOT serve in the army, however, I had something like theoretical courses. I have a military service card with notification that I did NOT serve. So, do I need to include this document (with translation) in my package? I hope no, but I am not confident.
  3. Can I pay DV administrative fee for all 3 persons of my family or it should 3 separate payments?
  4. I see on USCIS website that I need to complete form G-325. However, I read in DV AOS 2017 thread that a lot of people completed G-325A form that is almost the same. I’m slightly confused with that, so is it better to fill G-325?
  5. Do I need to include the copy of I-20 in my package?
  6. Is it possible to make 1 check per person for both AOS fees ($1140 + $85= $1225) or it’s better to make two checks per 1 person?
  7. My number should be current in October. So, can I send the package 2 days before 10/1 in order to be delivered exactly on October, 1?
  8. Public assistance. I am totally confused with this part of I-485. We received old furniture and clothes from the church (charity). It was not from government. Should it be considered as public assistance? Because if I answer no and it should be yes then it’s a dishonesty. From the other hand if it’s not public assistance, then the answer yes can generate a lot of unnecessary questions.
  9. Should I include a cover letter in my package with explanations that I am not going to be a public charge?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am a PhD student and I was selected in DV 2018. I have F-1 visa and my dependents have F-2; we came in the US in September 2016. My salary as a Teaching Assistant is rather low (about $20k) so I definitely need I-134. I apologize for my stupid questions regarding AOS process:
  1. I-134 – Do I need 1 original copy to include in my package or 2 original copies: 1 signed in the package and 1 signed for the interview?
  2. I did NOT serve in the army, however, I had something like theoretical courses. I have a military service card with notification that I did NOT serve. So, do I need to include this document (with translation) in my package? I hope no, but I am not confident.
  3. Can I pay DV administrative fee for all 3 persons of my family or it should 3 separate payments?
  4. I see on USCIS website that I need to complete form G-325. However, I read in DV AOS 2017 thread that a lot of people completed G-325A form that is almost the same. I’m slightly confused with that, so is it better to fill G-325?
  5. Do I need to include the copy of I-20 in my package?
  6. Is it possible to make 1 check per person for both AOS fees ($1140 + $85= $1225) or it’s better to make two checks per 1 person?
  7. My number should be current in October. So, can I send the package 2 days before 10/1 in order to be delivered exactly on October, 1?
  8. Public assistance. I am totally confused with this part of I-485. We received old furniture and clothes from the church (charity). It was not from government. Should it be considered as public assistance? Because if I answer no and it should be yes then it’s a dishonesty. From the other hand if it’s not public assistance, then the answer yes can generate a lot of unnecessary questions.
  9. Should I include a cover letter in my package with explanations that I am not going to be a public charge?

Thanks!

1. Just one original copy to be included in the AOS package, be sure to make a copy for yourself. That's the one you take to your interview.

2. Not required.

3. Use one check for all - $330 x 3.

4. Either one is fine, they're basically the same. The ones you absolutely cannot use are G325B or G325C.

5. Yes

6. One check per person

7. Yes

8. Answer "No" - that's a private assistance. Does not meet the definition of public assistance for immigration purpose.

9. I don't consider it necessary but you may include it if it puts your mind at rest.

1. Make your petition easy to process, since you're currently on a F1 status I recommend you find someone to fill out an I-130 for you.

2. Are you planning on relying on government support? Anyway, this question has nothing to do with the DV based AOS process, so I'm sorry I'm not going to get into how soon you can claim 40 quarters of work in order to become eligible for government support.

3. You're a DV 2018 selectee, Asia being current now is not applicable to you - that is for DV2017 selectees only. Your FY starts in Oct and the VB announcing the starting cut off numbers for DV2018 comes out in July.

1. Got it. Will find someone to fill out an I-130. Your replies state I-134 and I-130. Which one is the correct form number?

2. I am planning to build a career that will support myself and my mom. Guess I don't need to worry about 40 quarters of work.

3. I see. So when do I fill the DS-260? Do I wait?

Thanks,
hellomyfriend

Last edited:
1. Just one original copy to be included in the AOS package, be sure to make a copy for yourself. That's the one you take to your interview.

2. Not required.

3. Use one check for all - $330 x 3.

4. Either one is fine, they're basically the same. The ones you absolutely cannot use are G325B or G325C.

5. Yes

6. One check per person

7. Yes

8. Answer "No" that's a private assistance. Does not meet the definition of public assistance for immigration purpose.

9. I don't consider it necessary but you may include it if it puts your mind at rest.

Thanks a lot, Sm1smom!

Hi.

I just realized that I made a mistake in my DS260 form, which I already sent to KCC

When describing my past work experience in my country of origin, instead of saying that I worked from february 2014 until December 2014, I wrote until December 2015 (I have been in USA from May 2015)

Should I contact KCC telling them about this? or do you think this mistake has no signicance?

Thank you

It's not a big deal.

1. Got it. Will find someone to fill out an I-130. Your replies state I-134 and I-130. Which one is the correct form number?

2. I am planning to build a career that will support myself and my mom. Guess I don't need to worry about 40 quarters of work.

3. I see. So when do I fill the DS-260? Do I wait?

Thanks,
hellomyfriend

My bad - that's a typo. It should be an I-134. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think you need to go over the AOS process spreadsheet again. This and some of the questions you're asking have been addressed in it.

My bad - that's a typo. It should be an I-134. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think you need to go over the AOS process spreadsheet again. This and some of the questions you're asking have been addressed in it.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I reread the AOS FAQs on the spreadsheet again. Understand that I do not mail the package until the number becomes current. But still not sure when do I suppose to file the DS-260. It says "...the fact that filing the memo now allows for the possibility of filing 2 months may also make it appear like it's a 6 months processing." Does "meno" mean the DS-260? So if I file it now, does it make the process longer?

Thanks,
hellomyfriend