1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by Sm1smom, May 2, 2017.

  1. ph1ll1ipswaya

    ph1ll1ipswaya Member

    Understood. Thanks.
  2. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    It is actually at the discretion of the adjudicating IO (Immigration Officer), not the FO. And there's no way to find out from the FO until the IO is ready to review and adjudicate the petition.
  3. F1_DV2018

    F1_DV2018 Member

    I have a question about medical exam. Do civil surgeons accept TB, gonorrhea and syphilis tests done prior to the exam?
  4. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    If you have documented and verifiable evidence of where the test was done and the result; and depending on how long ago the test was, most CS will accept them.
    F1_DV2018 likes this.
  5. geol8

    geol8 Member

    Good afternoon.

    I did early filing, got NOA Letter, got Biometrics letter, did biometrics walk in last week and today received an email saying that my case has been denied (doesn't say the reason), and that they sent a letter by mail which states the denial reason and following steps to take.

    I called USCIS and told me to wait.

    I pressume it's due to early filing (I included the memorandum in the package), do you advice me to go to USCIS to ask for information or should I wait for the letter they sent?

    Can this be related to whats going on with DV2017 september cases of visa shortages?

    Thank you
  6. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    My guess is it's due to early filing. I'm sure I emphasized over and over the fact that the early filing memo is included in the AOS package does not guarantee a package acceptance or petition approval.

    Wait for the denial letter. If you don't get anything in the mail by the end of next week, schedule an INFOPASS appointment.
  7. geol8

    geol8 Member

    All right. thank you.
  8. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    I believe you've also emphasized that early filing is especially risky before the start of the relevant FY.
    Sm1smom likes this.
  9. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    Yup! More times than I care to remember.
  10. just_a_tech

    just_a_tech New Member

    Hey @Britsimon and also opinion of anyone is also appreciated,
    CN EU22,xxx
    I would appreciate your thought on my question, I am planning to go with AOS as I am eligible. Haven't done anything yet in regards to application. I have read almost every post on your blog and the spreadsheet, and many comments and advice of mom and others, thank you all for that. You are the greatest people!
    I have read your post about new changes to DS260 processing and I know it will pretty much be the same, just the matter of filling visas slow and fast; meaning new DS260 processing makes sense for backlog on early cases however it feels like it puts people like myself at more risk. Won't you agree on that? Also puts at risk many AOSers because of processing time?
    Also, given that these changes were made by KCC plus the current progression on VB, would you suggest me to go CP instead of AOS just in case believing I might become current towards the end of FY? Or would you suggest to keep my hope for AOS and go as planned?
    Basically, I am just so worried about my CN becoming current later towards the end of the FY. No matter how selfish it may sound, I just wish USCIS could process AOS through DV as soon as FY starts no matter your CN since these people are committed living here already. Have plans and life going on... :)

    Thank you guys in advance!
  11. F1_DV2018

    F1_DV2018 Member

    In my opinion, it's better to do CP, especially if there is a possibility of administrative processing for you. The only disadvantage of CP is that you are outside US for months if you have AP, and it's unacceptable in case of F-1, H1-B, L-1 visas because you cannot leave your job.
  12. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    Your number isn't that high. I don't know why you are stressing about it. AOS versus CP is your choice - I did AOS with a 31XXX number.
  13. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    Hm, and I'm sure people in war zones or in other abysmal conditions wish their cases would be done first as AoS applicants already live a safe and comfortable, developed country life.

    So you can figure out why they indeed do it on a case number system, huh? What seems fair to you with your "plans and life going on" may be cruel for someone not sure if they'll even be alive at the end of the FY. Personally I'd agitate for people from countries like Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe to get processed first.
  14. just_a_tech

    just_a_tech New Member

    I see, thank you @Britsimon !
  15. just_a_tech

    just_a_tech New Member

    Hmm never thought that way, you are right! I just thought since AOS is done through USCIS we don't bother embassies or KCC at all except for requesting visa at the interview by IO. Nonetheless, this is how it is and this was my immature dreams about the processing system :)
  16. Snaydsa

    Snaydsa Member

    Hello Sm1smom,

    After the unexpected November cutoff for Africa, I am trying to refocus, and readjust my plans.

    My I 20 expires December 2017, I am eligible to apply for OPT 90 days before it expires, so the soonest I can apply is October 1st, and the latest is before the end of the 60 days grace period (end of February). With my case number being 2018AF10xxx, and the new VB slow pace, it would be a gamble to rely on the DV and not to apply for OPT.

    1- just to make sure I am understanding the process correctly, as I did already submit my DS-260 (May), is it advisable to apply for OPT and wait for my OPT to be approved, BEFORE sending my AOS package? Or I apply for OPT, and send my AOS package while I am waiting for my OPT approval?

    2- during the 60 days grace period am I still considered in F1 status?

    Thank you for your support
  17. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    1. I believe that is what I already told you before. Ensure you have a valid status in place prior to sending in the AOS package. This guarantees you a fall back status should your AOS petition get denied for any reason.

    2. This is not specifically related to the DV based AOS process so I cannot comment on it. Just take care of business as already advised and you wouldn't have to worry about the 60 days grace period.
  18. Snaydsa

    Snaydsa Member

    Indeed, that is what you did kindly advice me to do. I now double checking the details.

    The soonest I can apply for OPT is October 1st, and I will do that. As you are an expert in this field, and I trust your advice, please bare with me. I highly appreciate your support.

    1- When I send my OPT application, would submitting my AOS Package before I receive a response for my OPT impact the OPT decision?
    2- would the DS-260 I did already submit in May impact the OPT Application?

    I am asking these specific questions, as in case there is a risk, I would take another path, and eventually try to extend my I20 for another semester, and not apply now for OPT.

    Thank you so much again and again for your time and support
  19. Jonathan784

    Jonathan784 Member

    Hi mom, one more thing please.

    If in November, I find out on the next month bulletin i.e. December that my CN will be current, am I eligible to file in November, or is that still considered early filing and carries the risks with it that you mentioned?

    Thank you
  20. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    1. No it shouldn't. However I feel you're still missing the point regarding having a valid status in place prior to your AOS package being accepted by the Chicago Lockbox.

    2. No.

Share This Page