• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi mom,
I hope you are doing good?.
I called USCIS on Friday the were not helpful the employee refused to refer me to supervisor, and she told me informations that I already can find it online and she told me that don’t be worry since you you sent your application for AOS , you still able to get your visa even after September 30th, I told her you are wrong, DV lottery policy says that there is no benefit of your visa after that date, so I scheduled an infopass on August 6th.
1-Can you tell me the best way to talk to an officer and to know if my background check is done or not?.
2-should I take all documents with me or not?.
Hi Omar,
I acknowledge that how desperate and nervous you are now, but be calm.
I read thru your posts, it looks like you finish bio, and waiting for IL(correct me if im wrong
Also you successfully schedule InfoPass on Aug 6

Be calm and patient, the online update is not always correct. And since you have InfoPass, I would suggest you to ask Infopass office abt your case, and politely mention this is DV based and its timely manner is important. Normally they can take a look and tell you some update over there in FO. But be patient.

As for 800number, those 1st line are not always know what they are saying which is normal.. but this is a great chance that you can ask transfer to 2nd line since you need more help and 1st line cannot provide. Beware, I met some 2nd tier officer also not know much abt DV program, so you can try call more than one time until you reach to some knowledgeable tier2 officer. My spouse got RFE after interview, one tier2 officer can see that RFE but the other cannot find this info.... So if you want and if it may comfort you, you can try call multiple times to get information. Just my experience. Good luck to you!

Hi all, as I previously mentioned, I did my biometrics in late April and nothing has happened since then. I called and asked for an expedite 2 weeks ago and got a letter in my mailbox saying that my expedite had been transferred to another officer. Yesterday afternoon I saw in my online account that my expedite request had been sent to my field office (Chicago), but no news beside that... I am going to a infopass early tomorrow morning. I will take a copy of the USCIS website Mom posted regarding the need to be processed before 9/30, on top of all my other documents. Will let you all know how it goes/give tips!

USCIS website never update correctly - at least for my case and my spouse. Even after interview, our still shown"fingerprint fee receive"
Congrats for the IL! Be calm and read thru the spread sheet also others interview story, it will help you out

Thank you~ Will do :)

Hi Mom,

On the IL there is a list of items to bring to the interview (not an exhaustive list), however, there are 2 items I wanted to consult with you about. It states that "Each person seeking permanent resident status must appear in person with the following original evidence:"

1) "Proof of High-school diploma or evidence of two years employment experience within the past 5 years." ---> It sounds like it is also required for the derivative applicant, is that correct?
2) "Transcripts of all schools attended in the U.S. while on F-1 visa " ---> They actually mean transcripts and not the diploma, yes?

Currently we do not have these items yet.

Thanks you.

Hello all,

I am kind of worried on not receiving the AOS packet acceptance notice yet. I have included G-1145. Neither the check has been chashed. USCIS lockbox has received the package on July 13th, and today is July 25th. Do you guys think it is normal or not.

Thanks

Hello all,

I am kind of worried on not receiving the AOS packet acceptance notice yet. I have included G-1145. Neither the check has been chashed. USCIS lockbox has received the package on July 13th, and today is July 25th. Do you guys think it is normal or not.

Thanks

Hi!

Looking at the timeline, for many it took around 7-11 days from when they submitted the AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox to receive an acceptance message/cash checked. Since you package arrived on a Friday, today is actually only the 8th business day (not counting the Friday it arrived). For me it took exactly the 8 business days. As of right now I would not be too worried yet and hope you hear back by the end of this week. If you don't hear anything by Friday end of day, I would start to worry.

Good luck!

Hi!

Looking at the timeline, for many it took around 7-11 days from when they submitted the AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox to receive an acceptance message/cash checked. Since you package arrived on a Friday, today is actually only the 8th business day (not counting the Friday it arrived). For me it took exactly the 8 business days. As of right now I would not be too worried yet and hope you hear back by the end of this week. If you don't hear anything by Friday end of day, I would start to worry.

Good luck!
Thanks buddy !

Hi Mom,

On the IL there is a list of items to bring to the interview (not an exhaustive list), however, there are 2 items I wanted to consult with you about. It states that "Each person seeking permanent resident status must appear in person with the following original evidence:"

1) "Proof of High-school diploma or evidence of two years employment experience within the past 5 years." ---> It sounds like it is also required for the derivative applicant, is that correct?
2) "Transcripts of all schools attended in the U.S. while on F-1 visa " ---> They actually mean transcripts and not the diploma, yes?

Currently we do not have these items yet.

Thanks you.

1. Nope, that is not correct. Only the selectee/ main applicant is required to meet and present proof of that requirement. I mean ask yourself, if the derivative is a child under 18 years of age, can the derivative provide any of those?

2. If the letter says transcripts, then they mean transcripts, no brainer on that. However, I recommend taking both the transcripts and the diplomas along. I’m sure I indicated somewhere on the AOS process spreadsheet that those on student visa should take their transcripts along to their interview - the IL typical doesn’t mention this, you’re fortunate yours did especially if you hadn’t come across where I made the suggestion on the spreadsheet.

1. Nope, that is not correct. Only the selectee/ main applicant is required to meet and present proof of that requirement. I mean ask yourself, if the derivative is a child under 18 years of age, can the derivative provide any of those?

2. If the letter says transcripts, then they mean transcripts, no brainer on that. However, I recommend taking both the transcripts and the diplomas along. I’m sure I indicated somewhere on the AOS process spreadsheet that those on student visa should take their transcripts along to their interview - the IL typical doesn’t mention this, you’re fortunate yours did especially if you hadn’t come across where I made the suggestion on the spreadsheet.

Thank you for your reply.

1) I may have misinterpreted the meaning of "derivative". In my case I mean the spouse who is not the principal applicant. Would you still say that is incorrect and that they do not need the High-school diploma?
2) I will make sure to order the transcripts to avoid any problems!

Thank you~

Thank you for your reply.

1) I may have misinterpreted the meaning of "derivative". In my case I mean the spouse who is not the principal applicant. Would you still say that is incorrect and that they do not need the High-school diploma?
2) I will make sure to order the transcripts to avoid any problems!

Thank you~

For sheez! A derivative can be the spouse or the child of the principal. Your IL is a generic one, your FO did not compose the letter specifically for your case. So STOP over analyzing it! The analogy I provided in my previous response was meant to help you think outside the box!

Hi Omar,
I acknowledge that how desperate and nervous you are now, but be calm.
I read thru your posts, it looks like you finish bio, and waiting for IL(correct me if im wrong
Also you successfully schedule InfoPass on Aug 6

Be calm and patient, the online update is not always correct. And since you have InfoPass, I would suggest you to ask Infopass office abt your case, and politely mention this is DV based and its timely manner is important. Normally they can take a look and tell you some update over there in FO. But be patient.

As for 800number, those 1st line are not always know what they are saying which is normal.. but this is a great chance that you can ask transfer to 2nd line since you need more help and 1st line cannot provide. Beware, I met some 2nd tier officer also not know much abt DV program, so you can try call more than one time until you reach to some knowledgeable tier2 officer. My spouse got RFE after interview, one tier2 officer can see that RFE but the other cannot find this info.... So if you want and if it may comfort you, you can try call multiple times to get information. Just my experience. Good luck to you!
Hi MX,
First of all thanks for the valuable informations the you provided to me, I will call them tomorrow and I will see what will happen.
Appreciate your help and appreciate the hard work that mom does for us.

Hi all, as I previously mentioned, I did my biometrics in late April and nothing has happened since then. I called and asked for an expedite 2 weeks ago and got a letter in my mailbox saying that my expedite had been transferred to another officer. Yesterday afternoon I saw in my online account that my expedite request had been sent to my field office (Chicago), but no news beside that... I am going to a infopass early tomorrow morning. I will take a copy of the USCIS website Mom posted regarding the need to be processed before 9/30, on top of all my other documents. Will let you all know how it goes/give tips!
Hi all, I went to the Infopass appointment this morning and they told me the following:
1) My file is in the field office
2) My background check has been done and is finalized
They said I should receive an interview letter soon but, when I asked for an approximate timeline, they didn't give me one.

I have seen some posts where people say that they received the IL a week later. Does anybody have a different experience?
Sm1smom, what do you think based on your experience?

Thanks everyone!!
(If you are filing in Chicago too, feel free to reach out and we can compare dates!)

Hi all, I went to the Infopass appointment this morning and they told me the following:
1) My file is in the field office
2) My background check has been done and is finalized
They said I should receive an interview letter soon but, when I asked for an approximate timeline, they didn't give me one.

I have seen some posts where people say that they received the IL a week later. Does anybody have a different experience?
Sm1smom, what do you think based on your experience?

Thanks everyone!!
(If you are filing in Chicago too, feel free to reach out and we can compare dates!)

Do a congressional follow up inquiry if the IL doesn’t show up within 2 weeks.

Hi Mom,

I want to update a few things and want some suggestion from you,

Yesterday, I call the USCIS customer service and I was able to speak with tire 2 officer and he was very helpful.

As you might remember that in our last info pass that the officer mention that they are waiting for the file related to our case from one of their agencies.

Yesterday, while inquiring about the case status with the officer; I explained the exact things what officer told us in last info-pass.

But, yesterday’s officer from the customer service told us that he cannot see any file request and any of that kind of that information. Instead of that, he told that our security background check is pending.

Things are all confusing for me…one officer told that they are waiting for the file related to our case from of their agency and another said that …our security background check is pending.

As I already mentioned that I am not from the banned countries.

I have an info-pass for the 3rd August.

So my questions:

1) Is that pending file request (which is most probably our asylum case file) could be the reason of security background check is pending? Are these two things related to each other?

2) In your opinion what would be the best move? In my mind below are some options, if you have any other please suggest me..

i) Going to 3rd August info-pass and do the congressional inquiry if the case situation is still the same

ii) Start the congressional inquiry from tomorrow and keep going on the info-pass at 3rd August

iii) Start the congressional inquiry from tomorrow and cancel that info-pass for 3rd August and schedule the info-pass for the mid-August

Thanks for your help MOM

Hi mom,
I'm preparing the document for infopass next week and waiting for the interview letter.
I'm an F-1 holder, I did not submit bank statement but I do have proof of bank guarantee of my parent of this year for my school to issue a new i-20 (which I already received)
Question : Do I still need to show my or my parent's bank statement at the interview or should I show them the same bank guarantee i gave to the school?
Thank you very much for your guidance

Hi Mom,

I want to update a few things and want some suggestion from you,

Yesterday, I call the USCIS customer service and I was able to speak with tire 2 officer and he was very helpful.

As you might remember that in our last info pass that the officer mention that they are waiting for the file related to our case from one of their agencies.

Yesterday, while inquiring about the case status with the officer; I explained the exact things what officer told us in last info-pass.

But, yesterday’s officer from the customer service told us that he cannot see any file request and any of that kind of that information. Instead of that, he told that our security background check is pending.

Things are all confusing for me…one officer told that they are waiting for the file related to our case from of their agency and another said that …our security background check is pending.

As I already mentioned that I am not from the banned countries.

I have an info-pass for the 3rd August.

So my questions:

1) Is that pending file request (which is most probably our asylum case file) could be the reason of security background check is pending? Are these two things related to each other?

2) In your opinion what would be the best move? In my mind below are some options, if you have any other please suggest me..

i) Going to 3rd August info-pass and do the congressional inquiry if the case situation is still the same

ii) Start the congressional inquiry from tomorrow and keep going on the info-pass at 3rd August

iii) Start the congressional inquiry from tomorrow and cancel that info-pass for 3rd August and schedule the info-pass for the mid-August

Thanks for your help MOM

1. No. I was under the impression they specifically told you they were waiting for your asylum file when you reported back on your last info appointment. If all they said was that they were waiting for some file related to your case, then it’s possible it’s the pending background check clearance is what they’re waiting for at this point in time.

2. Attend th INFOPASS. Depending on the outcome, you can initiate an ombudsman follow up the next day.

Reactions: Wra
Hi mom,
I'm preparing the document for infopass next week and waiting for the interview letter.
I'm an F-1 holder, I did not submit bank statement but I do have proof of bank guarantee of my parent of this year for my school to issue a new i-20 (which I already received)
Question : Do I still need to show my or my parent's bank statement at the interview or should I show them the same bank guarantee i gave to the school?
Thank you very much for your guidance

Don’t present unsolicited document or information at the interview, that tends to do more harm than good. If the IO thinks you’re likely to become a public charge, they will let you know precisely what is needed to overcome that, and that’s typically a request for an I-134 which I suggest you have with you as a backup document.

1. No. I was under the impression they specifically told you they were waiting for your asylum file when you reported back on your last info appointment. If all they said was that they were waiting for some file related to your case, then it’s possible it’s the pending background check clearance is what they’re waiting for at this point in time.

2. Attend th INFOPASS. Depending on the outcome, you can initiate an ombudsman follow up the next day.
Thank You for your quick response MOM,

I want to be clear with you once more -

In my previous info-pass officer only mentioned that they were waiting for the file which they need to overview before adjusting our case, from one of their agency. They never mentioned that it was an asylum case. I just give you my understanding that it could be the asylum case since the officer asked me that "do you have any other immigration benefit cases pending with us?" I might be wrong.

And yesterday, officer over the phone said that we have pending security background check. And that's all.

Ok then- I will go to info-pass at 3rd August and will ask more precisely about our background check status.
I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks MOM!

Thank You for your quick response MOM,

I want to be clear with you once more -

In my previous info-pass officer only mentioned that they were waiting for the file which they need to overview before adjusting our case, from one of their agency. They never mentioned that it was an asylum case. I just give you my understanding that it could be the asylum case since the officer asked me that "do you have any other immigration benefit cases pending with us?" I might be wrong.

And yesterday, officer over the phone said that we have pending security background check. And that's all.

Ok then- I will go to info-pass at 3rd August and will ask more precisely about our background check status.
I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks MOM!

Don’t put words in their mouth when you go on Aug. 3rd. Treat it like you’re there for the first time, make no reference to what they told you the previous time.
Let them know you’re yet to receive your IL. Ask if your background check has cleared. Ask if your KCC file has been requested and received. Request to know what is delaying the interview. Point out the urgency involved with getting your AOS adjudicatd on or before Sept. 30th. Ask other follow up questions based on the response you receive.

I just came back from AOS interview. Thank you to all super moderators and everyone in this forum. I would like to share my AOS experience.

• CN: 2018AS00000XXX, Houston FO
  • Status in US: J1 with two-year home residency requirement.
  • Mid Jul 2017: Submitted J1 No Objection waiver application via home country embassy & US Dept. of State.
  • Jul 2017: Submitted DS260, received 2NL from KCC (in email) a week later.
  • Early Oct 2017: Favorable recommendation letter issued by DOS and sent to USCIS.
  • Oct 2017: Sent DOS the Adjustment of status fee aka diversity visa lottery processing fee. Received receipt 3 weeks later in the mail.
  • Oct 2017: USCIS Medical forms (Form I-693) completed by civil surgeon.
  • 3 Nov 2017: J1 Waiver Notice of Action from USCIS received in the mail.
  • 10 Nov 2017: Mailed (with USPS) AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox (no EAD application) (packed assemble as picture attached, I have a cover letter with two ID photos and I693).
  • 20 Nov 2017: Received email notification that package was received, check cashed.
  • 24 Nov 2017: NOA letters received in the mail.
  • 1 Dec 2017: Biometrics letters received with appointments set for 14 Dec 2017
  • 5 Dec 2017: Walk in for biometric. Biometrics completed.
  • 24 Jan 2018: Interview letters received. The letter was prepared on 12 Jan 2018, but I received the letter 12 days after the date.
  • 29 Jan 2018: Interview day. Waited IO for 1 hour, interview only took 15-20 min. IO checked visa status in USA and J1 waiver status. IO also checked IRS tax transcript and asked “Yes/No” questions of I-485. At the end of the interview, IO gave me a letter of “approval notification”.

View attachment 796 View attachment 797

The spreadsheet by Sm1smon is very informative, I read the spreadsheet a few times before filing for AOS. Last but not least, all the best and good luck to all AOSers.

Hi. My FO will also be Houston. Just wondering if the IO asked for your high school diploma? In my country, they don't award a diploma after high school but I have my bachelors and masters degree certificates.