• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Tobi1, may I ask you what you decided to do with 3a and 3b.

Me has quite the same situation (3b). My lease term has ended and i left a country for a vacation (about a week). Once I arrived i signed a new lease term (the same building, but different apt. #). So what would be better in terms of filing address history?
1. leave a gap for about week.
2. add some sort of vacation notice for this week
3. include week of vacation to old address

Thanks.
Guys. Any recommendations on this?

Hello all.
Another Question about "Employment history" for i-485:
1. How to fill periods of Unemployment? (what to put in "company" and "address" fields)
2. Prior coming to US I didn't have a work for some amount of time, should I add this period explicitly as "Unemployed from xxx to xxxx" or it's ok to have a gap?

Hello all.
Another Question about "Employment history" for i-485:
1. How to fill periods of Unemployment? (what to put in "company" and "address" fields)
2. Prior coming to US I didn't have a work for some amount of time, should I add this period explicitly as "Unemployed from xxx to xxxx" or it's ok to have a gap?

The form is clearly asking for information regarding employment history. It isn’t asking for a general timeline history, so why are you stressing over your periods of unemployment?

You guys need to stop overthinking the process and simply answer the questions asked! It’s not complicated. Really!

Hey mom. I had an info pass that was scheduled and apparently they sent my file to the city. They keep thinking I changed my address or something and then questioned me If I was out of status.

So now they're telling me there's nothing they can do so I have to go to Manhattan to find out what is going on.

Hey mom. I had an info pass that was scheduled and apparently they sent my file to the city. They keep thinking I changed my address or something and then questioned me If I was out of status.

So now they're telling me there's nothing they can do so I have to go to Manhattan to find out what is going on.

Okay I’m lost. Who sent what file to what city? Which FO was handling your case? What is with Manhattan - which or whose office?

And what is the outcome of the congressional inquiry you said you requested a couple of days ago? Has your congress person provided you with the feedback/response they got from USCIS?

Okay I’m lost. Who sent what file to what city? Which FO was handling your case? What is with Manhattan - which or whose office?

And what is the outcome of the congressional inquiry you said you requested a couple of days ago? Has your congress person provided you with the feedback/response they got from USCIS?

My field office is Holtsville ( Long Island) . At the info pass I was told my file (adjustment of status application) was sent to the Manhattan USCIS office. The case was being handled the whole time by my local FO (holtsville) .

I have not gotten feedback from the congressional inquiry yet. I called the congressman office today but have yet to hear back .

Hi Mom,

For the cover letter template that you so kindly provided us with, I have a few questions.

For this part:
"My package is being submitted on the basis of the Diversity Visa cut off number listed on the Advanced Notification section of the August 2014 (use your applicable month/year in place of the August date sample) Visa Bulletin, the priority date for my case number is July 1st, 2015."

1) My number will most likely be current for August (=Advanced Notification section of the July 2018 Visa Bulletin). What is the priority date for my case?
2) For the documents that are in my package section, should I specify which ones are for the principal applicant and which ones are for the derivative applicant or simply list all that are included disregarding for whom?

Almost there, please bear with me!
Thank you.

My field office is Holtsville ( Long Island) . At the info pass I was told my file (adjustment of status application) was sent to the Manhattan USCIS office. The case was being handled the whole time by my local FO (holtsville) .

I have not gotten feedback from the congressional inquiry yet. I called the congressman office today but have yet to hear back .

Just got off the phone with the congressman representative.
This is what they received :

"Please be advised that the applicant’s case is currently under review. Currently, the New York Field Office is completing the processing of I-485 cases that were received on or before June 11, 2016 and the applicant’s I-485 application was received on October 3, 2017. The estimated time range for I-485 application is 14 to 24.5 months. Thus, this case is within the normal processing time."

It is indeed strange that your case file got transferred from Long Island to NY after your interview had already taken place.
Did you move between when your AOS package was submitted and before your interview?
Have you confirmed by checking online to see which of these two was supposed to have the official jurisdiction over your case? I’m wondering if the case file was sent to the wrong FO by NBC to start with and they only just realized that after your interview.

Hi Mom,

For the cover letter template that you so kindly provided us with, I have a few questions.

For this part:
"My package is being submitted on the basis of the Diversity Visa cut off number listed on the Advanced Notification section of the August 2014 (use your applicable month/year in place of the August date sample) Visa Bulletin, the priority date for my case number is July 1st, 2015."

1) My number will most likely be current for August (=Advanced Notification section of the July 2018 Visa Bulletin). What is the priority date for my case?
2) For the documents that are in my package section, should I specify which ones are for the principal applicant and which ones are for the derivative applicant or simply list all that are included disregarding for whom?

Almost there, please bear with me!
Thank you.

1. August 1st 2018.
2. What does the sample letter say? Again, don’t over analyze what you’re reading.

Just got off the phone with the congressman representative.
This is what they received :

"Please be advised that the applicant’s case is currently under review. Currently, the New York Field Office is completing the processing of I-485 cases that were received on or before June 11, 2016 and the applicant’s I-485 application was received on October 3, 2017. The estimated time range for I-485 application is 14 to 24.5 months. Thus, this case is within the normal processing time."

That response is not useful. Doesn’t look like your congress rep clearly conveyed the fact that your case is DV based (not sure if you made that clear when you contacted them).

Anyway, next step is to visit the Manhattan FO for an update. Keep us posted.

It is indeed strange that your case file got transferred from Long Island to NY after your interview had already taken place.
Did you move between when your AOS package was submitted and before your interview?
Have you confirmed by checking online to see which of these two was supposed to have the official jurisdiction over your case? I’m wondering if the case file was sent to the wrong FO by NBC to start with and they only just realized that after your interview.

No, I have not moved since submitting the package. The holstville office is about 10 mins by car from me so I thought silly they sent it to NYC (1:30h trip on the train) .
Checked my zipcode on their service area section and it is serviced by the LI office. The congressman representative said during todays phone call that apparently Holtsville doesn't process the case so they send them to NYC if I recall correctly. or that it could also be for security screening ( again weird since I was told in one of the early info passes that my background check was done)

So I'm attending a info pass at 12pm tomorrow that holstville set up for me to inquiry about my file being sent there.

1)What should I ask?
2)Should I speak with a supervisor?
3)do you think they still believe my case is not DV even thought I have stated it multiple times?

Last edited:
That response is not useful. Doesn’t look like your congress rep clearly conveyed the fact that your case is DV based (not sure if you made that clear when you contacted them).

Anyway, next step is to visit the Manhattan FO for an update. Keep us posted.
I did tell the rep before when I approached them originally then again over the phone today that it needs to be processed before the end of the fiscal year.

Will keep you up to date . Thank you , hopefully I'll get some answers tomorrow.

No, I have not moved since submitting the package. The holstville office is about 10 mins by car from me so I thought silly they sent it to NYC (1:30h trip on the train) .
Checked my zipcode on their service area section and it is serviced by the LI office. The congressman representative said during todays phone call that apparently Holtsville doesn't process the case so they send them to NYC if I recall correctly. or that it could also be for security screening ( again weird since I was told in one of the early info passes that my background check was done)

So I'm attending a info pass at 12pm tomorrow that holstville set up for me to inquiry about my file being sent there.

1)What should I ask?
2)Should I speak with a supervisor?
3)do you think they still believe my case is not DV even thought I have stated it multiple times?

1. Confirm they indeed have your AOS case file - as it been assigned to an IO, why was it transferred from your FO?, ask about background check, ask if they have your KCC file, ask what the next step should be since you were already interviewed by the other FO, ask to know when what’s the delay in getting a decision?

2. Yes you can request to speak with the supervisor if you’re not satisfied with the response you get.

3. Of course the person that will adjudicate the petition will know.

Hi Mom,

For my AoS package, I will be submitting the I-485, I-131 and I-765 as major forms. I have tried to find the best way to submit the package and looked at examples online as well as from the spreadsheet but am still not sure.
I am thinking of using a fastener for all documents (as in Cover Letter on top of 1NL on top of... I-485, I-765, I-131, all supporting documents).

1) Is this good/acceptable?
2) Is it better to separate all 3 forms and have supporting documents for each form separately?
3) Should I submit supporting documents, like the I-94, for each form (like once for I-485, once for I-765..)?

Thank you!

Hi Mom,

For my AoS package, I will be submitting the I-485, I-131 and I-765 as major forms. I have tried to find the best way to submit the package and looked at examples online as well as from the spreadsheet but am still not sure.
I am thinking of using a fastener for all documents (as in Cover Letter on top of 1NL on top of... I-485, I-765, I-131, all supporting documents).

1) Is this good/acceptable?
2) Is it better to separate all 3 forms and have supporting documents for each form separately?
3) Should I submit supporting documents, like the I-94, for each form (like once for I-485, once for I-765..)?

Thank you!

1. You can use binder clips or large paper clips.
2. Attach applicable supporting documents to each form.
3. See 2.

IMO - including the I-765 and I-131 is a complete waste of time at this point. It takes 3-4 months for them to be processed, 2018 FY will long be over by the time you receive them, will not serve you any purpose once you have your GC.

1. You can use binder clips or large paper clips.
2. Attach applicable supporting documents to each form.
3. See 2.

IMO - including the I-765 and I-131 is a complete waste of time at this point. It takes 3-4 months for them to be processed, 2018 FY will long be over by the time you receive them, will not serve you any purpose once you have your GC.

Thank you very much Mom,

1) Just to clarify your last point: If we were to be approved for and receive a green card, would we get it prior to September 30 (and that is why I-765 and I-131 don't make sense)?

Again, thank you so much.

Hello Sm1smom,

After my interview on May 7th, I did receive an RFE that I did reply to the same day on May 23rd. I did send the docs overnight, and the delivery was made on May 24th. It has been two weeks since the RFE and a month since the interview.

My FO does not accept infopasses. And online status did not change from "fingerprint fees were received".

I called the 1800 number and the second level officer advised to just wait and that they could not schedule an infopass.
Kindly what do you advise? I want to make sure that my IO got the docs and also want to know what is going on. I also do not want for my quest for updates to be regarded as exercising any kind of pressure on the IO.

Kind regards

Thank you very much Mom,

1) Just to clarify your last point: If we were to be approved for and receive a green card, would we get it prior to September 30 (and that is why I-765 and I-131 don't make sense)?

Again, thank you so much.

Get approved on or before Sept. 30th. The GC could be issued/received after Sept. 30th, it’s the approval that must happen on or before.