• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Thanks Simon.

I feel like this simply would not be possible as I stayed in most places for 2-3 nights at a time before moving on. For part of my trip I was on an over landing tour through South America for 4-months where half of the time we were camping.

There were only two stops that I was at for longer than 5-nights. They were Vancouver for a month. And my time spent at camp in USA.

I will unlock and add those two addresses however it may look weird having my parents (NZ) address before and after these as I did not actually go back to New Zealand between these dates.

Following on from this logic would other people need to put the addresses of any places they have had extended holidays on their forms?

Thanks Simon.

I feel like this simply would not be possible as I stayed in most places for 2-3 nights at a time before moving on. For part of my trip I was on an over landing tour through South America for 4-months where half of the time we were camping.

There were only two stops that I was at for longer than 5-nights. They were Vancouver for a month. And my time spent at camp in USA.

I will unlock and add those two addresses however it may look weird having my parents (NZ) address before and after these as I did not actually go back to New Zealand between these dates.

Following on from this logic would other people need to put the addresses of any places they have had extended holidays on their forms?

It's not normal to put addresses for holidays (because the place of residence remains the same - it's just a holiday). However, a period of several months is arguably more than a holiday, and given that it was another country it is important to show that time was spent there (to tie up with background checks). If you used one address as a base (a friend or whatever) then that would be the address you would list - just that one.

Thanks Simon. I think it is still more complicated than that. I attempted to private message you as I don't want to fill up the blog with my specific case (although given Aussies and kiwis are big travellers this may apply to others), but couldn't work it out.

My first 12-month itinerary went something like this:

Ecuador (2-weeks)

Quito - 3 nights
Baños - 4 nights
Cuenca - 4 nights
Amazon Jungle - 3 nights

Peru (3-weeks)

Mancora - 3 nights
Trujillo - 3 nights
Huarez - 3 nights
Lima - 3 nights
Cuzco - 5 nights
Aguas Calientes - 3 nights
Cuzco - 2 nights

Bolivia (2.5 weeks)

Argentina (3-weeks)
Chile (2-weeks)
Brazil (3-weeks)
Colombia (2-weeks)

Etc. etc.

All of this time I was staying in hostels, campsites, etc. I did not have a base other than for a month in the middle of my travels in Vancouver, and for 3-months at camp in USA. I travelled throughout USA after camp in a similar style before heading home.

I have also gone on a second trip of this nature through Europe over the last 6-months.

How would I record an address as my base given I did not have one. In fact my base was technically my parents house back home?

I am sure there are others in this forum who have been on some big travels of a similar nature that will be interested to know how to approach this.

Sorry a question is probably appropriate with that rant...

1) Do I need to add an address for each country I visited on these long holidays?

2) Given I do not have a friend in many of them or didn't stay anywhere other than hostels/camp sites for stays of no longer than 5-nights at a time, what do you think I should add as my address?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks Simon. I think it is still more complicated than that. I attempted to private message you as I don't want to fill up the blog with my specific case (although given Aussies and kiwis are big travellers this may apply to others), but couldn't work it out.

Ecuador (2-weeks)

Quito - 3 nights
Baños - 4 nights
Cuenca - 4 nights
Amazon Jungle - 3 nights

Peru (3-weeks)

Mancora - 3 nights
Trujillo - 3 nights
Huarez - 3 nights
Lima - 3 nights
Cuzco - 5 nights
Cuzco - 2 nights

Bolivia (2.5 weeks)

Argentina (3-weeks)
Chile (2-weeks)
Brazil (3-weeks)
Colombia (2-weeks)

Etc. etc.

All of this time I was staying in hostels, campsites, etc. I did not have a base other than for a month in the middle of my travels in Vancouver, and for 3-months at camp in USA. I travelled throughout USA after camp in a similar style before heading home.

I have also gone on a second trip of this nature through Europe over the last 6-months.

How would I record an address as my base given I did not have one. In fact my base was technically my parents house back home?

I am sure there are others in this forum who have been on some big travels of a similar nature that will be interested to know how to approach this.

I spent a year travelling after I finished university, and I wrote something like " year spent travelling through [list of countries]" in place of address for the relevant date range. I'm not sure if it's easy enough to fill that in on the computerized forms - we still filled in the DS's by hand and mailed them in in my day ;) The CO didn't ask anything about it, by the way.

Ecuador (2-weeks)

Quito - 3 nights
Baños - 4 nights
Cuenca - 4 nights
Amazon Jungle - 3 nights

Peru (3-weeks)

Mancora - 3 nights
Trujillo - 3 nights
Huarez - 3 nights
Lima - 3 nights
Cuzco - 5 nights
Cuzco - 2 nights

Bolivia (2.5 weeks)

Argentina (3-weeks)
Chile (2-weeks)
Brazil (3-weeks)
Colombia (2-weeks)

Etc. etc.

Yup - all just holidays then. No address needed.

Hey I contacted the US embassy to change my interview date... Does anyone know how long it takes for them to respond?

It helps to say which one. Do you mean Sydney??

They are often quite responsive - but some people have had varying results. One guy I know had two interviews (he and his partner both won). She changed her interview and it was fairly easy - within a month or so. He then changed his and they kept him on ice for 3 months.

It helps to say which one. Do you mean Sydney??

They are often quite responsive - but some people have had varying results. One guy I know had two interviews (he and his partner both won). She changed her interview and it was fairly easy - within a month or so. He then changed his and they kept him on ice for 3 months.

Sorry I meant to say London before my rant

Thanks Susie and Simon. Looks like I have gone current anyway so not able to unlock now. Am sure that it will be fine but will email the consulate to double check!

Hi all,

There were a recent wave of new selectees from the lottery, and i'm one of them... Case number OC000010XX... Realistically what are my chances getting an interview? Don't mind being shot down - better than getting hopes up for nothing.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity - if I attend the interview and get approved, if between approval and my activation trip I decide I no longer want to go through with it, does this make me ineligible to ever be able to travel on the Esta visa waiver program?

Out of curiosity - if I attend the interview and get approved, if between approval and my activation trip I decide I no longer want to go through with it, does this make me ineligible to ever be able to travel on the Esta visa waiver program?

No.

That's actually really interesting and something I've thought about. Does this mean you get would get penalised for future travel to the USA?

Question out of interest more than anything, does the Center in Kentucky process your DS 260 and complete the background checks before your interview is organised by your local office, or does the local office process the form as well?