• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

We got approved on Tuesday and after yesterday's election results, definitely having secondthoughts. But as my husband keeps saying he is only 1 man, he needs the support of the senate to get things done. Hopefully he can't do too much damage in 4 years and it is still the dream to live in the US.
He has the support of the senate. AND the supreme court.

I feel enormously sad and heartbroken. Like many on this forum, I've been applying for years and I've always loved America, with all its flaws. To have a president and millions who agree with him show such contempt for not only women and minorities, but for anyone who disagrees with them is so worrying .
My mindset has changed only in terms of what I want to do over there if I'm approved. I still want to live there but feel like I'd want to do something productive to channel my frustrations, be it volunteering or whatever. Maybe a bit idealistic, but there you go.

Where are people planning on moving to in the States? I plan on moving to Washington D.C. next April (and become Trumps neighbour it seems). Anybody else looked at D.C.? What factors are most important to determine your decisions?

Trying to gauge whether there are any considerations I have left out? My big factors are weather, job prospects, political views, entertainment (especially sports teams), public transport, outdoor living.

Just as there are people who can't figure why millions voted for Trump, there are people who can't figure out why millions voted for Hillary. Such is the nature of the republic.

Where are people planning on moving to in the States? I plan on moving to Washington D.C. next April (and become Trumps neighbour it seems). Anybody else looked at D.C.? What factors are most important to determine your decisions?

Trying to gauge whether there are any considerations I have left out? My big factors are weather, job prospects, political views, entertainment (especially sports teams), public transport, outdoor living.

If all goes well, we're likely to move to NJ. My considerations are about the same as yours - weather, close to employment for me, close to the university course my partner wants. It's not a perfect solution, though. I don't like the financial situation the state is in, and what this means in terms of infrastructure and taxes, but I haven't been able to find a better fit for our needs.

Pretty much the same. Wanted to move to NYC but was put off by tough job market and expensive rent. Gonna make it easier on myself to begin with and start in LA; good job market, okay rent, beautiful sunshine year-round, and a democratic state. Only thing I'm not thrilled about is it's lack of public transport and reliance on cars and freeways.

So with a new president and all and his stance on immigrants and freezing green cards, any chance people who have not been interviewed yet be more likely to be rejected or not given interviews at all? Just a thought.

So with a new president and all and his stance on immigrants and freezing green cards, any chance people who have not been interviewed yet be more likely to be rejected or not given interviews at all? Just a thought.

Brit Simon talked about it briefly on his latest post on his site and explained it with his usual unflappable calm :)
I feel it's not advisable to start any guesswork or panicking.

Can you give a link to anywhere he has actually mentioned "freezing green cards"? Apart from, you know, that he's not actually president yet and that the president doesn't rule by decree in the US, much as this one might want.

FYI:

He will be able to take some steps through unilateral, executive actions, a method Republicans repeatedly accused Obama of overusing. But big-ticket items like tax cuts and infrastructure spending, and most major policy changes on immigration, health care, energy or trade, would require Congress’ say-so. And although Republicans control the House, they will have only 52 seats in the 100-member Senate next year, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance most legislation.

“Many of his proposals would face a certain filibuster in the Senate,” predicted Jim Manley, a Democratic consultant and former top Senate aide.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics...iles-tough-reality-for-trump-and-gop-congress

Just as there are people who can't figure why millions voted for Trump, there are people who can't figure out why millions voted for Hillary. Such is the nature of the republic.

The actual numbers are quite startling. Fewer people voted for Trump than voted for each of the last two losing republican candidates. Of course, he also got fewer votes than Hillary, who won the popular vote - but her numbers were also way down on Obama's. The big story of this election actually seems to be how many people stayed home because both candidates were so unpopular.

Pretty much the same. Wanted to move to NYC but was put off by tough job market and expensive rent. Gonna make it easier on myself to begin with and start in LA; good job market, okay rent, beautiful sunshine year-round, and a democratic state. Only thing I'm not thrilled about is it's lack of public transport and reliance on cars and freeways.

I've been caught in a total traffic jam on a six lane freeway in LA at 1am before!!! The car culture there really is something else. You'll definitely need to get used to that. To be fair, although LA is extreme, that's true in a lot of the US - Manhattan being a notable exception.

Since my visa was granted already, I need some practical answers to some questions about moving. Is there a specific thread I should be posting to instead of this one? Thanks. On a side note, Trump personifies everything I dislike in a person, so him as a leader terrifies me, but I know there are checks and balances in place to hopefully prevent anything truly dreadful from happening... Hopefully.

Many would have had the same fears had Hillary been elected. As you say, there are checks and balances in place. That is the nature of the republic, which is worth doing some research on.

Can you give a link to anywhere he has actually mentioned "freezing green cards"? Apart from, you know, that he's not actually president yet and that the president doesn't rule by decree in the US, much as this one might want.

FYI:

He will be able to take some steps through unilateral, executive actions, a method Republicans repeatedly accused Obama of overusing. But big-ticket items like tax cuts and infrastructure spending, and most major policy changes on immigration, health care, energy or trade, would require Congress’ say-so. And although Republicans control the House, they will have only 52 seats in the 100-member Senate next year, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance most legislation.

“Many of his proposals would face a certain filibuster in the Senate,” predicted Jim Manley, a Democratic consultant and former top Senate aide.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics...iles-tough-reality-for-trump-and-gop-congress

Susie - it was on his website that he believed a freeze or moratorium on green card issuance was appropriate until the current 'emergency' was concluded. Here's a link to a Vox article that references his website (which has changed): http://www.vox.com/2016/2/18/11050194/donald-trump-president-immigration-trade.

By the way, I think your assessment of Trump's executive power is far too sunny. Here's an article on the ability of the President to ban "any class of persons" - more than wide enough to catch the DV program: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sident-has-power-to-ban-any-class-of-persons/

Susie - it was on his website that he believed a freeze or moratorium on green card issuance was appropriate until the current 'emergency' was concluded. Here's a link to a Vox article that references his website (which has changed): http://www.vox.com/2016/2/18/11050194/donald-trump-president-immigration-trade.

By the way, I think your assessment of Trump's executive power is far too sunny. Here's an article on the ability of the President to ban "any class of persons" - more than wide enough to catch the DV program: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sident-has-power-to-ban-any-class-of-persons/
After 8 years of experiencing government through executive fiat, most folks in the US would probably agree with your assessment...

It's not my assessment, I gave the link. I wouldn't presume to be an expert on such matters.

As for what he said, there's a recent article where they've tracked over 140 flip-flops / backtracks he's done on a range of issues, including immigration. No one, probably including himself, actually knows where he stands right now. Even Rudy Giuliani just came out and said some of his most famous policies were just great campaign slogans and not real promises ... and of course he's filling his transition team with lobbyists, which most would see an exact opposite of his promise to "drain the swamp".

But by all means, feel free to continue panicking over Trump signing an executive order to ban Australians from getting green cards once he assumes office.

It's not my assessment, I gave the link. I wouldn't presume to be an expert on such matters.

As for what he said, there's a recent article where they've tracked over 140 flip-flops / backtracks he's done on a range of issues, including immigration. No one, probably including himself, actually knows where he stands right now. Even Rudy Giuliani just came out and said some of his most famous policies were just great campaign slogans and not real promises ... and of course he's filling his transition team with lobbyists, which most would see an exact opposite of his promise to "drain the swamp".

But by all means, feel free to continue panicking over Trump signing an executive order to ban Australians from getting green cards once he assumes office.

The point I'm making is that Trump has the power to do so if he so wishes. If I understood your point above, you were saying that people should take comfort from the need for the President to work with the senate and not just "rule by decree". Unfortunately, I believe this is a case where Trump can indeed rule by decree if he so desires.

Now, what you just said is doubting whether he truly desires to use these powers. We are on the same page here - I don't think he will, either. But he could.

I feel enormously sad and heartbroken. Like many on this forum, I've been applying for years and I've always loved America, with all its flaws. To have a president and millions who agree with him show such contempt for not only women and minorities, but for anyone who disagrees with them is so worrying .

By the way .... this is part of the reason why some people happily pay more property and tax wise to live in certain parts of the US and not others. Below are statements from elected leaders of NY (state) and California:

Andrew Cuomo: https://www.facebook.com/andrewcuomo/

The state of New York has a proud legacy as the progressive capital of the nation, and that is more important today than ever before.

As New Yorkers, we have fundamentally different philosophies than what Donald Trump laid out in his campaign.

So let me be absolutely clear: If anyone feels that they are under attack, I want them to know that the state of New York – the state that has the Statue of Liberty in its harbor – is their refuge.

Whether you are gay or straight, Muslim or Christian, rich or poor, black or white or brown, we respect all people in the state of New York.

It's the very core of what we believe and who we are. But it's not just what we say, we passed laws that reflect it, and we will continue to do so, no matter what happens nationally. We won’t allow a federal government that attacks immigrants to do so in our state.

We are a state of immigrants.

We are the state that raised the minimum wage to $15.

We are the state that passed Paid Family Leave.

We are the state that passed marriage equality.

We are New York, and we will stand up for you. And on that, I will never compromise.

Count on it.

---
and
---

Joint Statement from California Legislative Leaders on Result of Presidential Election http://asmdc.org/speaker/news-room/...ve-leaders-on-result-of-presidential-election

Today, we woke up feeling like strangers in a foreign land, because yesterday Americans expressed their views on a pluralistic and democratic society that are clearly inconsistent with the values of the people of California.

We have never been more proud to be Californians.

By a margin in the millions, Californians overwhelmingly rejected politics fueled by resentment, bigotry, and misogyny.

The largest state of the union and the strongest driver of our nation’s economy has shown it has its surest conscience as well.

California is – and must always be – a refuge of justice and opportunity for people of all walks, talks, ages and aspirations – regardless of how you look, where you live, what language you speak, or who you love.

California has long set an example for other states to follow. And California will defend its people and our progress. We are not going to allow one election to reverse generations of progress at the height of our historic diversity, scientific advancement, economic output, and sense of global responsibility.

We will be reaching out to federal, state and local officials to evaluate how a Trump Presidency will potentially impact federal funding of ongoing state programs, job-creating investments reliant on foreign trade, and federal enforcement of laws affecting the rights of people living in our state. We will maximize the time during the presidential transition to defend our accomplishments using every tool at our disposal.

While Donald Trump may have won the presidency, he hasn’t changed our values. America is greater than any one man or party. We will not be dragged back into the past. We will lead the resistance to any effort that would shred our social fabric or our Constitution.

California was not a part of this nation when its history began, but we are clearly now the keeper of its future.

----
Of course, if you sympathize with his Trump and his voters, there are states that you will find a happy home in, too. This underscores what we've often said on this forum: the US is so big and so diverse that no matter what you're looking for, you'll find it somewhere.

After 8 years of experiencing government through executive fiat, most folks in the US would probably agree with your assessment...

Indeed, not sure people realize how much executive fiat has been exercised during the last 8 years.