• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

1. Yes

2. Since you're fairly certain you have no plan of living in the US permanent and you already envisage yourself giving up the GC in 3 to 5 years' time, then I really think you shouldn't waste both your time and mine by going through this process.

No personal offense, but I really do prefer using my time to assist people who are truly desirous of this opportunity.

I understand your point of view, and I'm so thankful for all your help through this forum. But let me explain that the fact that "I'm not sure I want to stay in the US forever" doesn't mean I don't truly desire what a GC has to offer at this point in time. I've been here long enough to love this country and realize the enormous opportunities it gives. And I've fought for them by going back and forth to the embassy in my home country and figuring out which new visas to get so I could extend my stay in the US well beyond the time I had initially planned to stay here. And I know that this -the US- is where I want to be as of today.

When I ask about the consequences of eventually going back to my home country, I'm just trying to be realistic, instead of blindlessly going through the process because "it's the American dream" without realizing that there may be situations down the road (such as aging parents), which could result in deciding to leave the US. So I just wanted to understand the potential implications of not staying in the US forever (and having to give up a GC etc)... "Worst" case scenario is I'd leave after 3-5 years, but not necessarily.

There are many people in situations similar to mine. Granted many others aren't, but it's not that uncommon to get a GC through DV without being 100% sure of wanting to live in the US forever. I think it's actually great to share some thoughts on the "then whats" of giving up a GC after all. People sometimes don't even think about these things when they are applying for a GC, even if they think they might end up going back to their home countries at some point.

So if this thread helps someone give that some thougths, just for that, I think it's worth it.

I'd actually love to hear thoughts from people on whether they see themselves staying in the US forever or if the idea of moving somewhere else sometime still crosses their minds.

Good night everyone! : )

I understand your point of view, and I'm so thankful for all your help through this forum. But let me explain that the fact that "I'm not sure I want to stay in the US forever" doesn't mean I don't truly desire what a GC has to offer at this point in time. I've been here long enough to love this country and realize the enormous opportunities it gives. And I've fought for them by going back and forth to the embassy in my home country and figuring out which new visas to get so I could extend my stay in the US well beyond the time I had initially planned to stay here. And I know that this -the US- is where I want to be as of today.

When I ask about the consequences of eventually going back to my home country, I'm just trying to be realistic, instead of blindlessly going through the process because "it's the American dream" without realizing that there may be situations down the road (such as aging parents), which could result in deciding to leave the US. So I just wanted to understand the potential implications of not staying in the US forever (and having to give up a GC etc)... "Worst" case scenario is I'd leave after 3-5 years, but not necessarily.

There are many people in situations similar to mine. Granted many others aren't, but it's not that uncommon to get a GC through DV without being 100% sure of wanting to live in the US forever. I think it's actually great to share some thoughts on the "then whats" of giving up a GC after all. People sometimes don't even think about these things when they are applying for a GC, even if they think they might end up going back to their home countries at some point.

So if this thread helps someone give that some thougths, just for that, I think it's worth it.

I'd actually love to hear thoughts from people on whether they see themselves staying in the US forever or if the idea of moving somewhere else sometime still crosses their minds.

Good night everyone! : )

Thanks for the explanation. However, I need to emphasize this particular Thread is for guiding selectees through the AOS process.

You will need to create a separate Thread for the purpose of getting people's thoughts and opinions on staying in the US permanently or not. We would rather this AOS Thread not get cluttered with none AOS related discussions.

I hope this hasn't been asked too many times yet... (I'm struggling to find the right search terms to find it in the history), but it's been more than two months since we submitted our DS260, and we haven't heard anything. Is that normal? Is there a backlog right now? Is there anything we can do in the meanwhile?

I hope this hasn't been asked too many times yet... (I'm struggling to find the right search terms to find it in the history), but it's been more than two months since we submitted our DS260, and we haven't heard anything. Is that normal? Is there a backlog right now? Is there anything we can do in the meanwhile?
I would call KCC, I think this speeds up the process sometimes. I called them after one month of submitting my DS260 and they processed everything within a week, I don't know if it's because of the phone call or they had already processed it but there is no harm in trying. Did you receive the receipt for the 330$ fee? if yes don't worry about the adjustment letter, they will send it eventually.

I would call KCC, I think this speeds up the process sometimes. I called them after one month of submitting my DS260 and they processed everything within a week, I don't know if it's because of the phone call or they had already processed it but there is no harm in trying. Did you receive the receipt for the 330$ fee? if yes don't worry about the adjustment letter, they will send it eventually.

Thanks mira88! We also called KCC after about a month, but still nothing. We've been waiting to get the DS260 approved before paying, in case there's a problem and then we've thrown that money away! I'm trying to persuade my husband to take the chance and pay anyway....

Could somebody please tell me is this how the 2NL from KCC looks like? I got this as a reply from them for my inquiry about it, I am not sure whether it is something like this.

"If you are in the United States, you may be eligible to apply to the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) for adjustment of status. The option to adjust status may no longer be available to all applicants. To determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status you must contact the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov to obtain instructions on how to make an appointment with your local USCIS office by using INFO Pass. When contacting your local CIS office they may inform you that you will not be eligible to file your adjustment until your case number is current and available for processing. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to view the current case numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month.

If the CIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity-processing fee of $330.00 per person directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover cost incurred by the Department of State in running the lottery selection process and is separate from any fees you will need to pay the CIS as part of your adjustment application. Failure to pay this fee may result in the loss of your diversity visa. If you are not approved for your visa or are not granted an interview, this fee cannot be refunded to you under any circumstances. Please mail a money order for the diversity-processing fees to the address given below.

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

When inquiring about the status of a Diversity Visa (DV) case, you must provide the Principal Applicant's full name, complete case number, and date of birth in the following format (MMDDYYYY) as entered on the original entry. Please remember that the Kentucky Consular Center is a document processing facility, and cannot advise you on whether or not you will qualify for a visa. Only a consular officer can make that decision. Do not send any paper documents to the Kentucky Consular Center."

Thanks mira88! We also called KCC after about a month, but still nothing. We've been waiting to get the DS260 approved before paying, in case there's a problem and then we've thrown that money away! I'm trying to persuade my husband to take the chance and pay anyway....

There's no approval process associated with the DS260 with regards to DV based AOS process. Receiving the 2NL for AOS does not mean KCC has approved your form, it simply means KCC is aware of your desire to go through the AOS route and that they shouldn't bother to process your form for CP.

Could somebody please tell me is this how the 2NL from KCC looks like? I got this as a reply from them for my inquiry about it, I am not sure whether it is something like this.

"If you are in the United States, you

"If you are in the United States, you may be eligible to apply to the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) for adjustment of status. The option to adjust status may no longer be available to all applicants. To determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status you must contact the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov to obtain instructions on how to make an appointment with your local USCIS office by using INFO Pass. When contacting your local CIS office they may inform you that you will not be eligible to file your adjustment until your case number is current and available for processing. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to view the current case numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month.

If the CIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity-processing fee of $330.00 per person directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover cost incurred by the Department of State in running the lottery selection process and is separate from any fees you will need to pay the CIS as part of your adjustment application. Failure to pay this fee may result in the loss of your diversity visa. If you are not approved for your visa or are not granted an interview, this fee cannot be refunded to you under any circumstances. Please mail a money order for the diversity-processing fees to the address given below.

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

When inquiring about the status of a Diversity Visa (DV) case, you must provide the Principal Applicant's full name, complete case number, and date of birth in the following format (MMDDYYYY) as entered on the original entry. Please remember that the Kentucky Consular Center is a document processing facility, and cannot advise you on whether or not you will qualify for a visa. Only a consular officer can make that decision. Do not send any paper documents to the Kentucky Consular Center."
I am not sure, did they attach a PDF file in the email they sent you? When I got mine, the email started by "attached is the adjustment letter". And the letter starts by "thank you for informing us about your plan to do adjustment of status". I don't really know if all letters are supposed to be the same but that's what I got, I hope this helps. Btw Some of the paragraphs you posted were in the letter I got.

Does your letter have a bar code at the beginning, just below the date?? Because the 2NL should have it. When I received the email it was also attached by PDF. It was a 2 page document which started this way:

"Dear XXX:

Thank you for informing us that you plan to apply for adjustment of status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)..."

I think all 2NL are the same, they just change our names. So, I guess that is not a 2NL, it is only a reply to your question. :oops:

Last edited:
Thank You so much for your replies @CountryGirl and @mira88 . Nope, it never showed up then. I was just wondering whether they sent it as a reply since I inquired about it. Thanks again for taking time to reply girls :)

Thank You so much for your replies @CountryGirl and @mira88 . Nope, it never showed up then. I was just wondering whether they sent it as a reply since I inquired about it. Thanks again for taking time to reply girls :)
Did you pay the 330$ fee? If so did they send you the receipt by mail? If they did then don't worry about 2NL. It should not affect your application, if they ask you about it just say that you never got it. Just include a copy of the receipt in your AOS package.

Did you pay the 330$ fee? If so did they send you the receipt by mail? If they did then don't worry about 2NL. It should not affect your application, if they ask you about it just say that you never got it. Just include a copy of the receipt in your AOS package.

Nope I didn't pay the $330 fee yet. I might be current only on May/June. Since I have some time, I was hoping to pay it next month. Will have the receipt once I pay it, hopefully.

Nope I didn't pay the $330 fee yet. I might be current only on May/June. Since I have some time, I was hoping to pay it next month. Will have the receipt once I pay it, hopefully.

Ohh, you have plenty of time, then... Bear in mind that it takes up to 8 weeks to get the receipt. Usually it is sooner than that, but you never know. I sent mine at the end of August and I became current in November. And don't forget to send a self-addressed envelope with the check, so they can send you back the receipt (I forgot to send it :confused:).

I have a quick question for you all: I noticed in the spreadsheet (Section "Timelines") that a lot of people sent in their AOS package before their number is current (e.g. GLS sent it in on December 2nd even though his/her number isn't current until January. I thought that you can only send it in once the number becomes current (January in that case). Any information would be appreciated as my number i current in January as well. Thank you all!

I have a quick question for you all: I noticed in the spreadsheet (Section "Timelines") that a lot of people sent in their AOS package before their number is current (e.g. GLS sent it in on December 2nd even though his/her number isn't current until January. I thought that you can only send it in once the number becomes current (January in that case). Any information would be appreciated as my number i current in January as well. Thank you all!

Those selectees took advantage of the "early filing policy" . As soon as your number is announced as current in the VB, you can file. It allows a "headstart" for the case, BUT the case cannot be interviewed until the number is current. A few people had their packages rejected, but in general those cases were with early filing before the October 1 year start.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Thank you for your reply! That was LIGHTNING fast! I will get everything ready to get mailed out on December 30th. Btw I called USCIS the other day and the lady on the phone had no clue that the fee went up to $1225 and assured me that the fee is still $1070 and that she doesn't know any price hike (as indicated in the forum as of December 23rd). I trust that the info in this forum is correct and will go ahead and get a check for the $1225 ready anyways.

One more question: When I first came as a F1 student I received a I-797 form, indicating that I paid my $200 SEVIS fee. Is that the I-797 that I am supposed to send in?

Thank you! You guys are a huge help!

Ohh, you have plenty of time, then... Bear in mind that it takes up to 8 weeks to get the receipt. Usually it is sooner than that, but you never know. I sent mine at the end of August and I became current in November. And don't forget to send a self-addressed envelope with the check, so they can send you back the receipt (I forgot to send it :confused:).

Yeah I'll make sure to include a self-addressed envelop. Thank You for reminding me that. :) By the way, did you make the payment through cashiers check or money order? Is one safer than the other?

Thank you for your reply! That was LIGHTNING fast! I will get everything ready to get mailed out on December 30th. Btw I called USCIS the other day and the lady on the phone had no clue that the fee went up to $1225 and assured me that the fee is still $1070 and that she doesn't know any price hike (as indicated in the forum as of December 23rd). I trust that the info in this forum is correct and will go ahead and get a check for the $1225 ready anyways.

One more question: When I first came as a F1 student I received a I-797 form, indicating that I paid my $200 SEVIS fee. Is that the I-797 that I am supposed to send in?

I received a I-901 form when I made the $200 SEVIS payment. :confused:

1. The person you spoke with is a customer/service rep who responds to queries based on a list of scripted responses they've been provided with. If you settle down and do a diligent research on your own, you'll soon realize you know a lot more about the process than the first line USCIS customer reps do.

You can read more about the new few schedule from the following link:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

2. Form 797 is a Notice of Action which gets issued by USCIS. Include any form 797 from USCIS that you have. If you don't have any such form, it is not a problem.

1. The person you spoke with is a customer/service rep who responds to queries based on a list of scripted responses they've been provided with. If you settle down and do a diligent research on your own, you'll soon realize you know a lot more about the process than the first line USCIS customer reps do.

You can read more about the new few schedule from the following link:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

2. Form 797 is a Notice of Action which gets issued by USCIS. Include any form 797 from USCIS that you have. If you don't have any such form, it is not a problem.

I got a I-901 form when I made the $200 SEVIS payment. Do I need to include that too?