• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

There's nothing to informing your school about at this stage, your status is still F1 until your GC petition gets approved or you use the AOS based EAD to take up a job offer.
Thanks. Well, most probably I will start my job in another state in a month or so. In that case, as soon as I start working, I should inform the school, right?

Thanks. Well, most probably I will start my job in another state in a month or so. In that case, as soon as I start working, I should inform the school, right?

I already said there's nothing to inform your school about until your AOS petition is approved and you actually receive your GC. The fact that you are working with an approved EAD card makes no difference to them. However feel free to inform them if you wish, and if they mistakenly terminate you in SEVIS because they do not understand what the process is about (since they may assume your AOS petition has been approved when in reality it hasn't), then you deal with the consequences in that case.

What you should really be concerned about right now is the implication of working either an AOS based EAD card while being on a student visa. And I believe I've already discussed this with you. If not with you, I know I have written extensively about it on this Thread anyways.

I’m a DV 2017 selectee and my CN is already current. I haven’t submitted my application yet. I have a few questions for which I couldn't find answers in the spreadsheet and I'd really appreciate some help.

1. I probably should have initiated things already, my bad… is it too late if I start by submitting the DS-260 now?

2. Where do I select that I want to do AOS in the DS-260?

3. I’ve seen the AOS fee will increase to $1,225 as of Dec 23rd 2016. If I submit my AOS before Dec 23rd will I pay the old fee? Or is it based on when they cash the check/some other date?

4. Apparently applying for EAD and AP isn’t always advisable but I don’t understand why. I believe there’s no extra costs by applying for AP or EAD; is it that the AOS process can take longer then? Or why may it not be a good strategy?

5. I don’t have some of the documents with me in the states (HS diploma, vaccine record, birth certificate etc). Can I ask a friend to have it sent via mail to my US home?

6. What’s the typical cost of a medical? I understand this varies but I’d like to get a general sense for whether it’s closer to say $100 or $1,000

Thanks so much for your guidance!!

I’m a DV 2017 selectee and my CN is already current. I haven’t submitted my application yet. I have a few questions for which I couldn't find answers in the spreadsheet and I'd really appreciate some help.

1. I probably should have initiated things already, my bad… is it too late if I start by submitting the DS-260 now?

2. Where do I select that I want to do AOS in the DS-260?

3. I’ve seen the AOS fee will increase to $1,225 as of Dec 23rd 2016. If I submit my AOS before Dec 23rd will I pay the old fee? Or is it based on when they cash the check/some other date?

4. Apparently applying for EAD and AP isn’t always advisable but I don’t understand why. I believe there’s no extra costs by applying for AP or EAD; is it that the AOS process can take longer then? Or why may it not be a good strategy?

5. I don’t have some of the documents with me in the states (HS diploma, vaccine record, birth certificate etc). Can I ask a friend to have it sent via mail to my US home?

6. What’s the typical cost of a medical? I understand this varies but I’d like to get a general sense for whether it’s closer to say $100 or $1,000

1. If you're already getting ready to submit your AOS package, you might as well not bother with the DS260. However, I hope you've made the DV administrative fee payment.

2. You should be able to see that when you open the DS260 form.

3. It depends on when they formally accept your AOS package.

4. The AOS process spreadsheet provided some explanations regarding this. You can also check out the following link:
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-71#post-2446750

5. Yes

6. Like you already noted, the cost varies. You can call the listed civil surgeons in your area to get an idea of the cost.

1. If you're already getting ready to submit your AOS package, you might as well not bother with the DS260. However, I hope you've made the DV administrative fee payment.

2. You should be able to see that when you open the DS260 form.

3. It depends on when they formally accept your AOS package.

4. The AOS process spreadsheet provided some explanations regarding this. You can also check out the following link:

5. Yes

6. Like you already noted, the cost varies. You can call the listed civil surgeons in your area to get an idea of the cost.
Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't really done anything yet (no DS260, no fee payment, no package ready). Why is it best not bothering with the DS260? It's my understanding that I could submit the DS260, make the payment, and then send the AOS package even without the 2NL. I could always take the 2NL to the interview, right? I don't understand why it may be best not to submit the DS-260 :confused:

Quick follow up to 3) is that the NOA date then?

Follow up to 4) Does applying for (not necessarily using) the EAD and/or AP make the actual GC AOS process longer or more complicated in any way? Are there any additional costs of applying for these?

Thank you!!!:)

Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't really done anything yet (no DS260, no fee payment, no package ready). Why is it best not bothering with the DS260? It's my understanding that I could submit the DS260, make the payment, and then send the AOS package even without the 2NL. I could always take the 2NL to the interview, right? I don't understand why it may be best not to submit the DS-260 :confused:

Quick follow up to 3) is that the NOA date then?

Follow up to 4) Does applying for (not necessarily using) the EAD and/or AP make the actual GC AOS process longer or more complicated in any way? Are there any additional costs of applying for these?

Thank you!!!:)

Okay so your plan is to submit the DS260 form, make the $330 DV administrative payment and send in your AOS package at the same time? You do realize you need to include the payment receipt with your AOS package? And if I may ask, since you're already aware of all the steps involved, why are you procrastinating?

You may submit the DS-260 form now if you wish, it may or may not delay the AOS processing - your call.

3. Yes, the date on the NOA is the official acceptance date.

4. The EAD and/or AP card processing shouldn't impact the AOS itself. However I do know of a couple of cases in the past that could have been otherwise approved on the spot following the interview but got delayed because they IO said they needed to receive the files for those petitions from the other offices handling them before deciding on the AOS petition itself. A typical AOS petition is adjudicated in 3-4 months, same amount of time it takes for an EAD/AP approval and issue. EAD/AP is free if associated with an I-485.

You may schedule an INFOPASS. You should also take a look at the Timelines spreadsheets (both current and past) to get an idea of how long it typically takes your FO to schedule DV based AOS interviews.

I've already checked the Timelines before and there's no one from my FO on there. I'm just wondering perhaps my AOS Case is going through a different processing process because of the fact that I checked the wrong box in I-485 (part 2)? Even though, I did the rest of my AOS package just like the list suggested. Thank you for answering.

Hi @genKi ,

I think everything else was answered, but about the prices of the medical I have to say that I visited 4 or 5 different places until I found 1 that charged me $130 total (plus the vaccines that it is always extra). The previous doctors' prices were between $300 and $750, so unless your are in Los Angeles area (that I can give you my references)... Good Luck!

Last edited:
I've already checked the Timelines before and there's no one from my FO on there. I'm just wondering perhaps my AOS Case is going through a different processing process because of the fact that I checked the wrong box in I-485 (part 2)? Even though, I did the rest of my AOS package just like the list suggested. Thank you for answering.

Which is your FO?

Okay so your plan is to submit the DS260 form, make the $330 DV administrative payment and send in your AOS package at the same time? You do realize you need to include the payment receipt with your AOS package? And if I may ask, since you're already aware of all the steps involved, why are you procrastinating?

You may submit the DS-260 form now if you wish, it may or may not delay the AOS processing - your call.

3. Yes, the date on the NOA is the official acceptance date.

4. The EAD and/or AP card processing shouldn't impact the AOS itself. However I do know of a couple of cases in the past that could have been otherwise approved on the spot following the interview but got delayed because they IO said they needed to receive the files for those petitions from the other offices handling them before deciding on the AOS petition itself. A typical AOS petition is adjudicated in 3-4 months, same amount of time it takes for an EAD/AP approval and issue. EAD/AP is free if associated with an I-485.
Thanks for all the info! I guess what I can do is wait until I get the receipt from the 330 DV payment, and then send the AOS package (the only thing I could be missing is the 2NL if I haven't received it by then, but can take it to the interview later). Would this be ok?

And yeah you're right, I've been delaying starting the GC process... it's because I wasn't really sure of wanting this. The GC is an awesome opportunity but I'm not sure I want to stay in the US forever. In fact, it's likely I won't. So I wasn't sure that I could do this whole thing and then give up my GC after like 3-5 years without consequences... :confused:
From your experience, is it a bad idea to get a GC and a few years later move out of the US?
I've heard nasty stuff about taxes that was making me think twice. And I don't even know if there are more consequences in addition to tax liability that I should be aware of... ?

Hi @genKi ,

I think everything else was answered, but about the prices of the medical I have to say that I visited 4 or 5 different places until I found 1 that charged me $130 total (plus the vaccines that it is always extra). The previous doctors' prices were between $300 and $750, so unless your are in Los Angeles area (that I can give you my references)... Good Luck!
Thanks so much for the info, CountryGirl! This helps get an idea for the costs.Unfortunately I'm not in the LA area, otherwise I'd go to the same place as you for sure, sounds way cheaper!
What vaccines did you have to take for the medical? As a child I took all the vaccines that were required where I grew up and have a certificate to show that, but it sounds like physicians could make you take additional shots anyway! Plus the certificate I have is old, hand-written, and not in English (so I don't know that they'd accept that as proof of immunization?)

I've heard nasty stuff about taxes that was making me think twice. And I don't even know if there are more consequences in addition to tax liability that I should be aware of... ?

You would have to formally renounce your green card with uscis , and let the IRS know that you have, to avoid paying taxes if you decide to subsequently leave the US.

Thanks for all the info! I guess what I can do is wait until I get the receipt from the 330 DV payment, and then send the AOS package (the only thing I could be missing is the 2NL if I haven't received it by then, but can take it to the interview later). Would this be ok?

And yeah you're right, I've been delaying starting the GC process... it's because I wasn't really sure of wanting this. The GC is an awesome opportunity but I'm not sure I want to stay in the US forever. In fact, it's likely I won't. So I wasn't sure that I could do this whole thing and then give up my GC after like 3-5 years without consequences... :confused:
From your experience, is it a bad idea to get a GC and a few years later move out of the US?

1. Yes

2. Since you're fairly certain you have no plan of living in the US permanent and you already envisage yourself giving up the GC in 3 to 5 years' time, then I really think you shouldn't waste both your time and mine by going through this process.

No personal offense, but I really do prefer using my time to assist people who are truly desirous of this opportunity.

Thanks so much for the info, CountryGirl! This helps get an idea for the costs.Unfortunately I'm not in the LA area, otherwise I'd go to the same place as you for sure, sounds way cheaper!
What vaccines did you have to take for the medical? As a child I took all the vaccines that were required where I grew up and have a certificate to show that, but it sounds like physicians could make you take additional shots anyway! Plus the certificate I have is old, hand-written, and not in English (so I don't know that they'd accept that as proof of immunization?)
You need to prove that you have taken flu shot, mmr vaccine, Varicella vaccine ( unless you had chickenpox), tdap vaccine. Also, you need to do tests for tuberculosis, syphilis, and gonerreah. The good thing is that if you have insurance it should cover all the vaccines and the tests ( but check with them about it just to be sure). You can do the physical exam for 100 or 500$ and it would give you the same result. Just call the doctors that do this exam and ask how much they charge and go from there.

You've already been answered about what vaccines you need. I used my insurance to get the only shot that I needed, because I also had a document from my country (not in English). However, I asked my home doctor to issue a current and typed list of my vaccines. Because, as well as yours, my old report (children vaccine book) was hand written. Luckily I didn't have to translate it because all medical terms are pretty similar, so they understood what vaccines I had.

@genKi, If you are reasonably certain that you won't stay in the US beyond a 3 - 5 year time frame and are being effectively covered through your NIV over this time period, then there would be no true benefit for you to pursue the DV Green Card. However, plans in life do change, hence it is only you (and any family members) to make this determination. Good luck!

You would have to formally renounce your green card with uscis , and let the IRS know that you have, to avoid paying taxes if you decide to subsequently leave the US.
Thanks @SusieQQQ . It's good to know that that option exists. And it sounds like once someone officially renounces their green card, there are no more consequences/implications with the US...?

Hi all,

Could somebody tell me is this how the 2NL from KCC looks like? I got this as a reply from them for my inquiry about it, I am not sure whether it is something like this.

"If you are in the United States, you may be eligible to apply to the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) for adjustment of status. The option to adjust status may no longer be available to all applicants. To determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status you must contact the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov to obtain instructions on how to make an appointment with your local USCIS office by using INFO Pass. When contacting your local CIS office they may inform you that you will not be eligible to file your adjustment until your case number is current and available for processing. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to view the current case numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month.

If the CIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity-processing fee of $330.00 per person directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover cost incurred by the Department of State in running the lottery selection process and is separate from any fees you will need to pay the CIS as part of your adjustment application. Failure to pay this fee may result in the loss of your diversity visa. If you are not approved for your visa or are not granted an interview, this fee cannot be refunded to you under any circumstances. Please mail a money order for the diversity-processing fees to the address given below.

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

When inquiring about the status of a Diversity Visa (DV) case, you must provide the Principal Applicant's full name, complete case number, and date of birth in the following format (MMDDYYYY) as entered on the original entry. Please remember that the Kentucky Consular Center is a document processing facility, and cannot advise you on whether or not you will qualify for a visa. Only a consular officer can make that decision. Do not send any paper documents to the Kentucky Consular Center."