• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

You should take a look at the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of how long on average it takes the FOs to adjudicate DV based AOS cases. USCIS does not track DV based AOS cases separately so they always give the average processing time of all AOS cases when asked about timing
Does this mean that there is no guarantee that I will have interview? Is there anything I can do?
You should take a look at the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of how long on average it takes the FOs to adjudicate DV based AOS cases. USCIS does not track DV based AOS cases separately so they always give the average processing time of all AOS cases when asked about timing
Does this mean it might take a year? I looked at the spreadsheet and looks like average time is about 2 months or so. Also does USCIS process DV case differently than other cases like marriage based or employment based?
Thank you once again! :)

My FO was Los Angeles, California. And I contacted KCC both by phone and by email, asking them if my FO had already requested them my file. Only by phone the representative told me that yes, and he gave me the exact day my FO had requested my file. After about a month since they got my file, they sent me the IL.
Thank you for the infor. Also, Congratulations!! :)

Does this mean that there is no guarantee that I will have interview? Is there anything I can do?

Does this mean it might take a year? I looked at the spreadsheet and looks like average time is about 2 months or so. Also does USCIS process DV case differently than other cases like marriage based or employment based?

Yes, USCIS process DV case totally different than other cases like marriage or employment based. We have priority due to the time limit. You just have to be patient waiting for your interview letter. However, you are free to contact your FO through an INFOPASS.

For the i134, the sponsor needs to send me the original copy but what about the supporting documents of his such as his W2s, payslips, ID, etc. can those be sent through email and I print them out? Also, I'm looking at the instructions for the i134 but don't see that it explicitly states 1040, W2, etc. From a website I see that the supporting documents the sponsor needs to submit include the 1040, W2, payslips, and photo ID. Is there anything else he needs to submit?

Last edited:

If you already looked at the spreadsheets (like I suggested) and you discovered the average processing time is 2 months (which I don't think is accurate), then why are you interpreting it to mean there's no guarantee you will have an interview, or that it might take a year if it's been taking like 2 months for others?

For the i134, the sponsor needs to send me the original copy but what about the supporting documents of his such as his W2s, payslips, ID, etc. can those be sent through email and I print them out? Also, I'm looking at the instructions for the i134 but don't see that it explicitly states 1040, W2, etc. From a website I see that the supporting documents the sponsor needs to submit include the 1040, W2, payslips, and photo ID. Is there anything else he needs to submit?

1. Yes
2. I can't speak about what you saw from some website. But from the AOS process spreadsheet put together in this forum, the recommendation is for the I-134 to be accompanied by the sponsors W2 (and/or 1099 if applicable), and sponsors photo ID.

Hi mom! Yesterday I received the text and email that USCIS accepted my case, and it says that I797 is on its way.

Mom, I need to understand something and it's very important for me: please let me know if you know the answer to this question: have you ever heard about cases when when it comes to being interviewed it happens that they tell you (at the interview) that you need to resubmit the package? The reason that I ask is because my F1 ends March 27th, and I can apply for another I20 (If I decide) no later than May 26th (as you know, of course, I cannot file I485 without status). Possibly my interview might be after May 26th and I doubt I will pay for another I20 and go to school. I'm not talking about situations when they for some reason reject your case completely, I know in that case I cannot bring my F1 back after grace period end. I only want to know if this is possible that they may tell me to redo the thing? (Were there any cases like that)

Thanks in advance!

Hi mom! Yesterday I received the text and email that USCIS accepted my case, and it says that I797 is on its way.

Mom, I need to understand something and it's very important for me: please let me know if you know the answer to this question: have you ever heard about cases when when it comes to being interviewed it happens that they tell you (at the interview) that you need to resubmit the package? The reason that I ask is because my F1 ends March 27th, and I can apply for another I20 (If I decide) no later than May 26th (as you know, of course, I cannot file I485 without status). Possibly my interview might be after May 26th and I doubt I will pay for another I20 and go to school. I'm not talking about situations when they for some reason reject your case completely, I know in that case I cannot bring my F1 back after grace period end. I only want to know if this is possible that they may tell me to redo the thing? (Were there any cases like that)

Thanks in advance!

Petitions don't get rejected once the NOA has been issued, so no the scenario you painted can't happen. Once the petition is formally accepted, it will end up either being approved or rejected.

Since your sponsor already has an offer letter for the job he's starting in April, use the information on it and include a copy of the employment letter.

Will do accordingly. Thanks for the suggestion. Do I still need to include my W2s, tax transcripts, pay stubs and bank statement in my AOS package even if I submit I-134?

Thank you! Does the translated docs have to be notarized? Or will certified translation work? Other original documents do not need to be notarized right?

Documents are not required to be notarized. Documents in foreign language need to be translated and certified.

Hi Mom,

In form I-485, Part 3 (Processing Information), it says "Provide your name exactly as it appears on your form I-94". My name is too long (having two names for first name) so only a part of the name is visible on I-94 (one letter is missing). So when I fill the I-485, should I include the name as it is visible on I-94?

Hi Mom,

In form I-485, Part 3 (Processing Information), it says "Provide your name exactly as it appears on your form I-94". My name is too long (having two names for first name) so only a part of the name is visible on I-94 (one letter is missing). So when I fill the I-485, should I include the name as it is visible on I-94?

Write the full name exactly as it should be written, not with the truncated letter.

Thanks for the quick response. Just to make sure, I wrote the full name in part 1 (Information about you) where is asks for Family Name, Given Name and Middle Name. I was confused about part 3 (Processing information) where it specifically says "Provide your name exactly as it appears on your form I-94".

For the beneficiary part of the i134, I can type in my information on adobe and then send it to my sponsor to fill out. From there, he can print it out after he filled everything out using his computer, sign it by pen, then mail it back to me. It seems like this would be no problem and is much quicker than having me fill out my information, mail it to him, have him fill it out and sign it, then mail it back to me.

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

In affidavit of support (form I-134) it says in page 4, part 3, question 38, I intend/do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person named in part 2. Further it says : if you select "intend" , indicate the exact nature and duration of the contribution you intend to make in Part 7.

I am living with my sister's family and my brother in law is my sponsor. How should this question be answered? Would something like "All expenses but not limited to her lodging, food and medical insurance" be fine? Should an amount be mentioned too?

Thanks for the quick response. Just to make sure, I wrote the full name in part 1 (Information about you) where is asks for Family Name, Given Name and Middle Name. I was confused about part 3 (Processing information) where it specifically says "Provide your name exactly as it appears on your form I-94".

The intent behind asking for the name to be listed exactly as shown on the I-94 is to enable them reconcile your records and cross check if you entered the country legally in case you used a different name when you originally entered, or if you've done a change of name as a result of marriage for instance since being admitted. Feel free to use the truncated name if it makes you feel better.

Hi Mom,

In affidavit of support (form I-134) it says in page 4, part 3, question 38, I intend/do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person named in part 2. Further it says : if you select "intend" , indicate the exact nature and duration of the contribution you intend to make in Part 7.

I am living with my sister's family and my brother in law is my sponsor. How should this question be answered? Would something like "All expenses but not limited to her lodging, food and medical insurance" be fine? Should an amount be mentioned too?

Such a statement is fine, I wouldn't recommend he states a specific amount - I actually caution against doing so.

The intent behind asking for the name to be listed exactly as shown on the I-94 is to enable them reconcile your records and cross check if you entered the country legally in case you used a different name when you originally entered, or if you've done a change of name as a result of marriage for instance since being admitted. Feel free to use the truncated name if it makes you feel better.

Such a statement is fine, I wouldn't recommend he states a specific amount - I actually caution against doing so.

Thanks mom. I wrote the full name exactly as it should be written. Thanks for taking time to explain the purpose behind that question. And in i-134, i will just include the statement without an amount then.