• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Lol but when i completed the DS260 I didn't put it in , can I go back and correct it? I didn't put any actually

That's no big deal. You'll have the opportunity of listing it on some of the forms with your AOS package.

Hello,
The spreadsheet is a very good tool. Thanks for sharing. I was selected for 2017 DV and my case number is 2017AF000088XX. It seems like a visa may be available by October or November

1. I am on F2 status with my wife on F1 and our kids on F2.
2. I entered under B2 in September 2015 and applied for the change of status to F2 in November to support my spouse with her education and with the kids. The change of status was granted in April 2016 with a new i-94. I am currently on leave with my company until September 2017
2. I am planning to do AOS and avoid expensive flight ticket to my country for the CP.
3. I have another child in my country, but the child was listed on my DV application and I intend for him to immigrate under this DV 2017.

My questions are the following:
1. Can I apply for the adjustment of status just for myself, spouse and kids currently in the US?
2. I may be requested by my company to resume work overseas in September. Will this have a negative effect on my application if I have to leave the US on advance parole?
3. I filled DS-260 for my child who is out in my country and I selected CP for him. (Note that I have not yet submitted the DS-260 to Kentucky). Will the fact that we are getting the DV from 2 different locations jeopardize my success?
4. I can't find a copy of my high school degree since it's been a while since I obtained it and it will be difficult for me to get a copy from my country. However can I use my Ph.D. for the AOS?
5. In the case I decide to go for CP, will the consulate consider the sealed form i-693 as a medical report or I will need to do a medical exam over there?
6. Will my change of status show like any form of immigration intent?

Thanks in advance for your response

Hello,
The spreadsheet is a very good tool. Thanks for sharing. I was selected for 2017 DV and my case number is 2017AF000088XX. It seems like a visa may be available by October or November

1. I am on F2 status with my wife on F1 and our kids on F2.
2. I entered under B2 in September 2015 and applied for the change of status to F2 in November to support my spouse with her education and with the kids. The change of status was granted in April 2016 with a new i-94. I am currently on leave with my company until September 2017
2. I am planning to do AOS and avoid expensive flight ticket to my country for the CP.
3. I have another child in my country, but the child was listed on my DV application and I intend for him to immigrate under this DV 2017.

My questions are the following:
1. Can I apply for the adjustment of status just for myself, spouse and kids currently in the US?
2. I may be requested by my company to resume work overseas in September. Will this have a negative effect on my application if I have to leave the US on advance parole?
3. I filled DS-260 for my child who is out in my country and I selected CP for him. (Note that I have not yet submitted the DS-260 to Kentucky). Will the fact that we are getting the DV from 2 different locations jeopardize my success?
4. I can't find a copy of my high school degree since it's been a while since I obtained it and it will be difficult for me to get a copy from my country. However can I use my Ph.D. for the AOS?
5. In the case I decide to go for CP, will the consulate consider the sealed form i-693 as a medical report or I will need to do a medical exam over there?
6. Will my change of status show like any form of immigration intent?

Thanks in advance for your response

1. Yes

2. No, however I'm certain there's no way you would have had an approved AP card that will enable you travel after filing AOS without your petition being considered abandoned. The AP card processing and approval typically takes about 3 months. Also bear in mind there's no guarantee your CN will become current in October, it's not impossible for that CN to become current in November.

3. So basically the DS-260 form hasn't been submitted for the entire family, correct? You'll have to indicate on your own DS-260 form you have a kid processing follow to join. Going through two different processing options will not jeopardize your case, but it will be stressful.

4. Try your best to get a replacement copy. Some IOs have insisted on seeing the HS diploma itself before case approval.

5. Medical exam must be done by the approved panel physician attached to whichever embassy you'll be using. Medical exam from the US is not acceptable for CP.

6. Sorry I don't know precisely what you're asking here. Submission of the DS-260 form on its own is a declaration of an immigrant intent.

I'm so glad that I found this forum. I'm so noob to this thing, so please bear with me as I need your help.

I just got my F1 Visa approval and will enter US by 1st August for my Master degree. But recently I found out that I got selected for DV Lottery 2017 and my case number is: 2017AS000005xx

I'm really concern and don't know what should I do. I have tried to research around, but cannot find the appropriate answer for my situation or maybe I don't understand most of the process yet. Can anyone advice and give any suggestion about this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, again!
I have another question... In the Form I-485 in the first page, part 2, I put the option "h. Other basis: I'm a DV Winner... (What you advice in previous posts)"; but what about my husband?? Does he has to select "h" too, and explain the situation?? Or "b. My spouse applied for adjustment of status..."??

Thanks!! ;)

I'm so glad that I found this forum. I'm so noob to this thing, so please bear with me as I need your help.

I just got my F1 Visa approval and will enter US by 1st August for my Master degree. But recently I found out that I got selected for DV Lottery 2017 and my case number is: 2017AS000005xx

I'm really concern and don't know what should I do. I have tried to research around, but cannot find the appropriate answer for my situation or maybe I don't understand most of the process yet. Can anyone advice and give any suggestion about this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

You have an awesome spreadsheet, on the very first page of this forum, which explains all the process step by step. First of all, you should take a look at that. Later, once you have some idea, it is normal that you have some or a lot of doubts, talking from my experience, so then, you can ask for help in the specific thing you need. ;)

By the way, you will need to send copy of several documents; now, that you are still in your country until August, take advantage of that and try to get them all, the originals (You will need the original of your documents in the interview). And you have a very low visa number, so, your number will likely be current by October.

Here is the link: https://goo.gl/x7x3td

Last edited:
Hi, again!
I have another question... In the Form I-485 in the first page, part 2, I put the option "h. Other basis: I'm a DV Winner... (What you advice in previous posts)"; but what about my husband?? Does he has to select "h" too, and explain the situation?? Or "b. My spouse applied for adjustment of status..."??

Thanks!! ;)

Your spouse as a derivative will select option B.

Thanks in advance!

Go through the AOS process spreadsheet like @CountryGirl suggested above. It has a section that provides the pros and cons of AOS vs. CP. Once you decide on your preferred choice of process, or have follow up questions, return to the forum and post the specific question(s) you have.

I have a question , I have a daughter but she was born here so she's citizen, but did I need to include her in my ds-260 application ? And if I get married after submitting the ds-260 application, will I still be able to include her during the process?

If your daughter is an American citizen you don't have to include her in the process; obviously she doesn't need a green card.
About the marriage... I would wait to send the DS-260 until you get married... However, I think it's possible to make changes before you submit the package with your papers to KCC.

I have a question , I have a daughter but she was born here so she's citizen, but did I need to include her in my ds-260 application ? And if I get married after submitting the ds-260 application, will I still be able to include her during the process?

Yes you need to mention your daughter on your own DS-260 form, however you don't fill a separate DS-260 form for her since she's already a USC.

And yes, you can still include a spouse if you get married after submitting your DS-260 form, just make sure you get married before starting the actual AOS process and be ready with lots of evidence to prove your marriage is genuine.

If your daughter is an American citizen you don't have to include her in the process; obviously she doesn't need a green card.
About the marriage... I would wait to send the DS-260 until you get married... However, I think it's possible to make changes before you submit the package with your papers to KCC.

Yes the daughter doesn't need to be included in the process since she's already a USC however the OP still has to mention and include her information on his own DS260 form, he just doesn't have to submit an additional form for her.

Go through the AOS process spreadsheet like @CountryGirl suggested above. It has a section that provides the pros and cons of AOS vs. CP. Once you decide on your preferred choice of process, or have follow up questions, return to the forum and post the specific question(s) you have.

Thank you @CountryGirl and @Sm1smom for this valued information. I have understand more about this.
I would like to choose AOS process, but I have read some where in the forum about the 60-days rule.

My question is :
- Do I really need to wait a least 60 days to apply for AOS?
- My CN is really low, and in next 60 days of my entering in US is October, if it's too late to submit DS-260 form?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you @CountryGirl and @Sm1smom for this valued information. I have understand more about this.
I would like to choose AOS process, but I have read some where in the forum about the 60-days rule.

My question is :
- Do I really need to wait a least 60 days to apply for AOS?
- My CN is really low, and in next 60 days of my entering in US is October, if it's too late to submit DS-260 form?

Thanks in advance!

No you don't really need to, however it is highly recommended you wait a while before filing AOS. Waiting enables you to overcome the charge of entering on a NIV with a pre-conceived intent of filing AOS - a practice that is highly frowned on and could lead to a denial of your petition. For AOS, it's never too late to submit the DS-260 form since KCC will not be processing or conducting the background checks.

The alternative would be to go ahead and submit the DS-260 now, if you wish and process CP. But you're still not going to get an Oct interview even with such a low CN, you've left the form submission a little bit too late for KCC to have completed the processing by the time they start sending out 2NL for October interviews.

Processing AOS requires a LOT of patience. If you're already concerned about the suggestion to wait, maybe AOS is not the option for you. You might want to spend some time on both the current (2016) and past AOS Threads for further information on how the process is going/has gone for other selectees.

Hi. First, thanks for this helpful thread, and let me express my sincere gratitude for the spreadsheet. That is a really helpful step-by-step resource which eliminates a lot of confusion. :rolleyes: Now, my question may look like a pretty detailed one, but I am hopeful it can also help some other folks with similar concerns.

I am currently on F1 visa and my wife on F2, both of us residing here in US. We had DS-160 forms filled when we applied for student visas, and here is where the problem started. In that very first section of the forms, we left the part which asks for Previous Names Used as empty by mistake though both of us have past names in our birth certificates. :oops: My argument at the moment was that my name was changed for dropping a suffix on the family name when I was almost 5 years old. Therefore, I did not technically used the name. However, this happened not to be the case for my wife. She has her high school diploma in her previous name which seems like to be an important document for lottery winners. After that, she went for the name change which means her bachelor degree is issued under her current name.

Now, throughout the AOS process, we are concerned about filling out the DS-260 forms. Should we be consistent with what we said earlier on 160, or should we be honest and tell the truth on the other previous names? :confused:

Hi. First, thanks for this helpful thread, and let me express my sincere gratitude for the spreadsheet. That is a really helpful step-by-step resource which eliminates a lot of confusion. :rolleyes: Now, my question may look like a pretty detailed one, but I am hopeful it can also help some other folks with similar concerns.

I am currently on F1 visa and my wife on F2, both of us residing here in US. We had DS-160 forms filled when we applied for student visas, and here is where the problem started. In that very first section of the forms, we left the part which asks for Previous Names Used as empty by mistake though both of us have past names in our birth certificates. :oops: My argument at the moment was that my name was changed for dropping a suffix on the family name when I was almost 5 years old. Therefore, I did not technically used the name. However, this happened not to be the case for my wife. She has her high school diploma in her previous name which seems like to be an important document for lottery winners. After that, she went for the name change which means her bachelor degree is issued under her current name.

Now, throughout the AOS process, we are concerned about filling out the DS-260 forms. Should we be consistent with what we said earlier on 160, or should we be honest and tell the truth on the other previous names? :confused:

You need to be honest. Lying - even by omission - on a DS260 is considered immigration fraud.

Exactly what Susie said ^^^

You now have the opportunity to rectify the 'mistake' you previously made. Continuing to not disclose those other names used going forward (now that you're aware) could be construed as an attempt at hiding pertinent fact.