• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

hey all - my wife and I are leaving Sydney in 10 days, yay!

so many things to sort out, eek.

i know this has come up before, but does anyone have a good recommendation for health insurance for the first 3-6 months. My wife's work will cover us after that but what's the best option for temporary GC holder insurance?

also - anyone else in /going to be in San Francisco??

hey all - my wife and I are leaving Sydney in 10 days, yay!

so many things to sort out, eek.

i know this has come up before, but does anyone have a good recommendation for health insurance for the first 3-6 months. My wife's work will cover us after that but what's the best option for temporary GC holder insurance?

also - anyone else in /going to be in San Francisco??

My recommendation on insurance is at the link below.

I'm in the SF East Bay - Livermore.

http://britsimonsays.com/health-insurance-for-new-immigrants/

You'll get the hang of driving pretty quickly. We did our driving test three weeks after we arrived and were fine.

Yeah, it's not too bad. My first experience driving on the right-hand-side of the road came when I drove a gigantic SUV tank up a ramp from a car-hire in Midtown Manhattan and onto W43rd street (or thereabouts). Then through the grid and onto the Jersey Turnpike. Horrific. Some subsequent joys included:

* Missing a deer by inches while driving at 70 MPH on Interstate-90
* Slipping and fishtailing along the Chicago Skyway while it was covered in ice and snow, while having other drivers scoot around me at 65 MPH
* Snarling through Santa Monica onto Interstate-10 during the afternoon peak, all the way into the Inland Empire
* Dozing off at the wheel while driving through the Pecos from El Paso

And if I can survive it, anyone can.

Hey all - I only posted a couple of times about ten months ago, but have been reading along during the year. My interview is on Tuesday in Sydney, and I just wanted to say thanks for the resource and advice and genial encouragement that the regular posters here provide. From all the reports, I'm expecting everything to go smoothly... as long as my medical report is ready for pickup before the interview (nail-biting emoji)

Hey all - I only posted a couple of times about ten months ago, but have been reading along during the year. My interview is on Tuesday in Sydney, and I just wanted to say thanks for the resource and advice and genial encouragement that the regular posters here provide. From all the reports, I'm expecting everything to go smoothly... as long as my medical report is ready for pickup before the interview (nail-biting emoji)
Best of luck!

Great news guys- Mrs Space and I just got the nod!

I forgot to bring a second copy of our marriage certificate which earned a roll-eyes from the young woman at the documents counter, but everything was otherwise golden. The only question we got was about living anywhere other than Australia. Not even a 'why do you want to move to the US.'

It all seems so easy that I think something is going to go wrong.

Anyway, love all you forum folks! You're the best!

I forgot to bring a second copy of our marriage certificate which earned a roll-eyes from the young woman at the documents counter, but everything was otherwise golden. The only question we got was about living anywhere other than Australia. Not even a 'why do you want to move to the US.'

Finally. Been a long time coming huh.

Congrats and best of luck!!!

latest

Congratulations @connectedspace! Glad to see you make it over the finish line once and for all! And big congrats to everyone else getting their GC's and good luck to everyone else coming up.

I'm continuing to make progress here in LA, but I can only focus on one major life change at a time. :D Bank of America managed to get me approved for a basic $1,000 credit card which was nice so I can start building credit, and I also drove for the first time this weekend. Funnily enough being on the right side of the road wasn't what got to me the most, it was the indicators being on the opposite side!!! I keep on turning on the damn windshield wipers when I just wanna make a turn! :eek: I'm going for my driving test this weekend if anyone has any tips to make sure I don't fail like I'm 16 again. I hope to have a car in the next few weeks!

Congratulations @connectedspace! Glad to see you make it over the finish line once and for all! And big congrats to everyone else getting their GC's and good luck to everyone else coming up.

I'm continuing to make progress here in LA, but I can only focus on one major life change at a time. :D Bank of America managed to get me approved for a basic $1,000 credit card which was nice so I can start building credit, and I also drove for the first time this weekend. Funnily enough being on the right side of the road wasn't what got to me the most, it was the indicators being on the opposite side!!! I keep on turning on the damn windshield wipers when I just wanna make a turn! :eek: I'm going for my driving test this weekend if anyone has any tips to make sure I don't fail like I'm 16 again. I hope to have a car in the next few weeks!

The driving tests are laughably easy. Don't stress it.

Watch this....

Erm, indicators vs wipers is car manufacturer dependent, not country ;) Japanese & German cars opposite sides... I always used to get that wrong on rental cars!
But as Simon says - don't stress the driving test - it seems that experienced drivers get a much easier test than new ones. Basically as long as you can drive safely you should be fine! For the written test, do a few of the online practice ones the DMV provides. Pretty easy.

Erm, indicators vs wipers is car manufacturer dependent, not country ;) Japanese & German cars opposite sides... I always used to get that wrong on rental cars!
But as Simon says - don't stress the driving test - it seems that experienced drivers get a much easier test than new ones. Basically as long as you can drive safely you should be fine! For the written test, do a few of the online practice ones the DMV provides. Pretty easy.

Ah, those pesky manufacturers - I should have known, like for which side the petrol is on!

Thanks for the tips, hopefully all goes well. Don't know if my ego could stand failing the test... :D