• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

No seriously you can still say Merry Christmas:) Been there 10 years. I have been here for a month now (I mean back here) and it's great not having to worry about visa stuffs anymore.:) :)

Ah I didn't realize you were there already! Where abouts are you living? :)

Funnily enough I think in Aus there are a lot of people including myself who barely even associate Christmas with Christianity so I've never thought much about who I say merry xmas to. I do like how the yanks say the happy holidays saying more as yes it is more inclusive of everyone. :)

Ah I didn't realize you were there already! Where abouts are you living? :)

Funnily enough I think in Aus there are a lot of people including myself who barely even associate Christmas with Christianity so I've never thought much about who I say merry xmas to. I do like how the yanks say the happy holidays saying more as yes it is more inclusive of everyone. :)
Yes, I am back in California. I know...I am not a christian and I do not celebrate Christmas but I think this 'Happy Holiday' thing so as not to hurt non-christian's feelings is plain silly. That's just me though;)

Yes, I am back in California. I know...I am not a christian and I do not celebrate Christmas but I think this 'Happy Holiday' thing so as not to hurt non-christian's feelings is plain silly. That's just me though;)

Yup. Well, not just you. Surprised to hear that from a California resident though ;) Prevalent feeling in the Bible Belt.
(I mean, I presume you know other religions do actually have holidays around the same time. But I'll drop it now.)

I'm pretty sure the CNs max at about 1000. Here is why.

In Dv2015 OC had 3500 selectees. That is winners and family members and from the CEAC data we know the max case number was 2306 and there were 2111 individual case numbers. The difference between 2306 and 2111 (195 cases) is “holes”. Those are cases that got disqualified before they were even notified – so that is a hole rate of 8.5%

Now the 3500 selectees were on the 2111 cases – so there is a derivative rate for the region of 1.66 people per case.

DV2016 has 1500 selectees. At the same derivative rate as DV2015 that would mean 903 cases, but if we apply the same fraud hole rate that 903 represents 91.5% of the original – so we should theoretically see a max case number of 986.

We haven't heard any case numbers above 1000 - and I think this is why....

Current is in the bag for OC in 2016, and with the low volume they would have no problem in announcing current in August.

959. Pat on the back for me.

Yep - it used to be more mysterious - but now it is much more understandable.

OC will be current - and not use the full quota.

Does anything happen to the rest of the visas? Will they be distributed to other regions at least? Seems like such a waste if not...

I must say, even though it's been a couple of months since I got my visa, I'm getting a kick out of seeing "Issued" next to my number on the CEAC chart... :D Interesting as well to see all the dates the cases were created i.e. when applicants entered the lottery.

Last edited:
Does anything happen to the rest of the visas? Will they be distributed to other regions at least? Seems like such a waste if not...

I must say, even though it's been a couple of months since I got my visa, I'm getting a kick out of seeing "Issued" next to my number on the CEAC chart... :D Interesting as well to see all the dates the cases were created i.e. when applicants entered the lottery.

There is a formula for redistribution - but for OC - we are not talking about a lot of visas being wasted - maybe 100 or so.

Well done :)

I must say, compared to the anxiety of the past two years, DV2016 is like a gentle snooze. With any luck, the region could be current in April or May!

Yup. You are a "high case number" but in this year - for OC and EU, that is not an issue. AF and AS are not going to be so lucky.

Hi All,

I had a quick question about vaccinations. I was wondering what my wife and I might need to get. I know there is a complete list of vaccinations, however, not all of those apply to people in Australia. We wanted to try and get any required vaccinations before the medical to try and save costs. I think the main ones are MMR and Tetanus, but are there any others that we might need? In case it is of any relevance, my wife and I are both in our twenties.

Additionally, (for those in Melbourne) which is the best panel doctor to see? I seem to remember reading that the costs varied quite a bit between the doctors in Melbourne and that some could not even do the X-Rays onsite.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Re vaccinations, we got a few done beforehand at the local GPs. I only needed one top up at the panel doctors.

Re the doctors, we saw Dr Charles in Port Melbourne. You can get everything done onsite there (from memory, the other panel doctor in Melbourne requires you to go to a different place for the xrays) and it's convenient. Dr Charles is friendly and efficient BUT he did make a comment on one of my son's' medical that was pretty offensive and inaccurate and which still gets me cross even as I'm typing (my son has special needs but is intellectually 'normal', goes to a mainstream school, is ahead of his classmates. He made a comment about how he would struggle to find work). It didn't matter in the end but it left a bad taste in my mouth that someone could make an assessment like that, knowing it carries weight, with absolutely minimal knowledge of the condition my son has.

Hey all. Happy 2016 and congrats to everyone who got their Visa!
This may be a silly question but I can't find answers anywhere so maybe someone here can assuage my worry. I recently had my Passport (and most of my stuff - link here if you're interested gofundme.com/haydenart) stolen, so I can't fill/file my DS-260 until I receive a new valid Passport, and I see that my case number will be current in Feb or March (depending on whether BELOW includes the cutoff number like a 10 items or less shopping aisle, or actually means BELOW - that may be a silly question too but I couldn't confirm it either)... Anyway, with the DS-260 taking some time to process, do I have a lower chance of getting a Visa the longer I wait to schedule an interview, or is your chance basically the same once your number goes current? Put another way, given that there will be at least a couple of months of delays, and it seems OC is set to go current early this year, are OC Visas likely to run out before I can get an interview? Hopefully this is just neurotic gibberish but it'd be great if someone has the answers.
Thanks,
Hayden

Hi everyone,
I am currently organising funds for my interview. My husband and I should have 10.000 euros each in our bank accounts, and he owns an apartment in Paris which is approx 270.000 euros in value and we will live off renting it out once in the US. Will this be enough to prove that we will not become a public charge? Will I/he need to get an affidavit of support as well? Britsimon I asked you this earlier, but did a more thorough review of my finances o_O
Thank you in advance for your response!

This may be a silly question but I can't find answers anywhere so maybe someone here can assuage my worry. I recently had my Passport (and most of my stuff - link here if you're interested gofundme.com/haydenart) stolen, so I can't fill/file my DS-260 until I receive a new valid Passport, and I see that my case number will be current in Feb or March (depending on whether BELOW includes the cutoff number like a 10 items or less shopping aisle, or actually means BELOW - that may be a silly question too but I couldn't confirm it either)... Anyway, with the DS-260 taking some time to process, do I have a lower chance of getting a Visa the longer I wait to schedule an interview, or is your chance basically the same once your number goes current? Put another way, given that there will be at least a couple of months of delays, and it seems OC is set to go current early this year, are OC Visas likely to run out before I can get an interview? Hopefully this is just neurotic gibberish but it'd be great if someone has the answers.
Thanks,
Hayden

Firstly, it's highly unlikely OC will run out of visas. There seems to be more visas than applicants so you are safe on that front.

Secondly, you NEED to get that DS260 in ASAP if you want to get a visa. Seriously. Submit asap without delay. It takes 2-3 months to process the thing and only then do they schedule you. So, if you submit today, it could be April before they are finished processing and then they have to schedule you in. It could be June / July before you are interviewed.

Submit the DS260 without the passport details. That way, they can at least get started. Once you get your new passport, request that the DS260 be re-opened and you can update it with the passport details.

Hi everyone,
I am currently organising funds for my interview. My husband and I should have 10.000 euros each in our bank accounts, and he owns an apartment in Paris which is approx 270.000 euros in value and we will live off renting it out once in the US. Will this be enough to prove that we will not become a public charge? Will I/he need to get an affidavit of support as well? Britsimon I asked you this earlier, but did a more thorough review of my finances o_O

I don't think you need a affidavit of support. We took along proof of our finances (bank account balances, superannuation statements, valuation of our properties) but they didn't ask for it.

Thanks,
Hayden

To add to what Emily said, "below" means.... below. Less than. Not including the number ;)

Hi everyone,
I don't think you need a affidavit of support. We took along proof of our finances (bank account balances, superannuation statements, valuation of our properties) but they didn't ask for it.

If the interview is in Paris, they will quite probably ask for a AoS