• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi Guys

Looking at some job sites, some employers specifically mention the need for the applicant to be a US citizen. So does this mean that LPRs need not apply, or can the word "citizen" be interpreted as loosely used term to mean both LPR's and citizens? I assume this will be on a case to case basis though - of course you cannot be employed as a high ranking Govt official while being only a LPR - I assume?

Hi Guys

Looking at some job sites, some employers specifically mention the need for the applicant to be a US citizen. So does this mean that LPRs need not apply, or can the word "citizen" be interpreted as loosely used term to mean both LPR's and citizens? I assume this will be on a case to case basis though - of course you cannot be employed as a high ranking Govt official while being only a LPR - I assume?

You can assume it includes LPRs except where security clearance is needed.

You can assume it includes LPRs except where security clearance is needed.

I would assume that if they specify "citizen" it is precisely because of security clearance issues and that it doesn't include LPRs. Indeed I have seen the same company advertise different jobs, some requiring citizenship and others merely requiring the right to work in the US. If they don't want to sponsor work visas they usually just specify right to work - at least the types of jobs I have been looking at, anyway.

I would assume that if they specify "citizen" it is precisely because of security clearance issues and that it doesn't include LPRs. Indeed I have seen the same company advertise different jobs, some requiring citizenship and others merely requiring the right to work in the US. If they don't want to sponsor work visas they usually just specify right to work - at least the types of jobs I have been looking at, anyway.

No, typically job adverts that say citizen are just badly worded adverts (it happens ALL the time). It is actually illegal to discriminate based on immigration status, so if the work requires security clearance, they are supposed to say so - in order to justify the (otherwise) badly worded advert.

No, typically job adverts that say citizen are just badly worded adverts (it happens ALL the time). It is actually illegal to discriminate based on immigration status, so if the work requires security clearance, they are supposed to say so - in order to justify the (otherwise) badly worded advert.

Well, it's the federal reserve of San Francisco I referred to in my post...I have to assume that their HR department specifies different things for different jobs for a reason.

They may have an exception due to a federal contract. For any normal employer/job, the rules are clear.

https://www.workplacefairness.org/immigration-status#6

I think we're talking at cross purposes. The ads I am thinking of, which are not just at the Fed but for example engineering positions at defence firms that I have seen and (yes, seriously) CIA, I am pretty sure are citizen-only because of security issues - this is just not always necessarily specified in the posting. In other words there is not "discrimination" per se and I am sure any LPR applying would get a polite rejection because they do not meet the stated requirments.

Of course I have no idea what jobs lazy doggie is talking about and it's possible some are simply lazily specified, as you say. But the ones I've seen, I'm pretty sure are specified as citizen only for perfectly legitimate/allowed reasons.

I think we're talking at cross purposes. The ads I am thinking of, which are not just at the Fed but for example engineering positions at defence firms that I have seen and (yes, seriously) CIA, I am pretty sure are citizen-only because of security issues - this is just not always necessarily specified in the posting. In other words there is not "discrimination" per se and I am sure any LPR applying would get a polite rejection because they do not meet the stated requirments.

Of course I have no idea what jobs lazy doggie is talking about and it's possible some are simply lazily specified, as you say. But the ones I've seen, I'm pretty sure are specified as citizen only for perfectly legitimate/allowed reasons.

Yeah agreed. As I mentioned earlier, some jobs require a level of security clearance that might require a citizen. Then the other exception would be for federal contracts, but those jobs are the minority of jobs and it is important that people know they should not normally be treated differently because they are an LPR.

Hello everyone, (can't access my former account guy!)
I was wondering what extra documents(s) you need to bring to fill out the work papers once you get a job. (Other than what you would need if you already were American). Of course there's the SSN but is there anything else?
Thank you!

Hello everyone, (can't access my former account guy!)
I was wondering what extra documents(s) you need to bring to fill out the work papers once you get a job. (Other than what you would need if you already were American). Of course there's the SSN but is there anything else?
Thank you!

Your prospective employer should provide you with the list. You can also check the I-9 form for the list of acceptable documents:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

Happy New Year all. Just received the 2NL for my case number OC6XX, submitted on the 17 Jul 15. Interview on 9 Feb 16 in Sydney. Let the race to the airport gate begin.......

Oo me too! and I'm scheduled for the 9th of Feb as well except I'll be out of the country on that date so I need to try and change it..

Sydney is a pretty relaxed consulate (relatively speaking) and there shouldn't be an issue changing appointments, but bear in mind there is a chance that they may not be able to reschedule you for a little while and there is always the risk - however minute - that they won't be able to reschedule at all or until very late in the fiscal year (which has its own set of risks, especially if you get put into AP for whatever reason).

If you can, I wouldn't change it. If you can't, the sooner you can let the consulate know, the sooner they can identify a potential gap to fit you into.

Sydney is a pretty relaxed consulate (relatively speaking) and there shouldn't be an issue changing appointments, but bear in mind there is a chance that they may not be able to reschedule you for a little while and there is always the risk - however minute - that they won't be able to reschedule at all or until very late in the fiscal year (which has its own set of risks, especially if you get put into AP for whatever reason).

If you can, I wouldn't change it. If you can't, the sooner you can let the consulate know, the sooner they can identify a potential gap to fit you into.

Hey EmilyW, is there a requirement at all to confirm my appointment with the Sydney consulate post establishing my profile at ustraveldocs.com? The online instructions do not state a specific need to do so, but I have noticed some members of the forum have sent confirmation emails (if I reading the threads correctly).