• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

I love Portland. It was second on our list of places to move to. I just didn't like the rain issue.

We too gave up a nice, easy life to come here. And it's been worth it. Life is meant to be an adventure.

The only things we really truly miss are pies and AFL, but we've managed to get both (great Aussie bakery in Marietta GA that ships, and we plug the iPAD into the tv and watch the AFL that way). Other than that, we've adapted and embraced the US.

I love Portland. It was second on our list of places to move to. I just didn't like the rain issue.

We too gave up a nice, easy life to come here. And it's been worth it. Life is meant to be an adventure.

The only things we really truly miss are pies and AFL, but we've managed to get both (great Aussie bakery in Marietta GA that ships, and we plug the iPAD into the tv and watch the AFL that way). Other than that, we've adapted and embraced the US.

Average annual rainfall:
Portland, OR - 39 inches
Seattle, WA - 36 inches
Raleigh, NC - 46 inches
Livermore, CA - 14.9 inches

The issue was around rainy days, not rainfall in total. Portland ranks 3rd of all cities where it rains or snows more than 150 days of the year (behind Rochester and Buffalo IIRC).

My hair says no. Not that it's doing much better in North Carolinian humidity. ;)

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Like so many others, I came across this site in the weeks leading up to 'the interview' and found a wealth of invaluable information. Thanks to all, particularly Britsimon and EmilyW!

Living in San Francisco has long been a dream, but the cost of living led us to other options. We've settled on the Pacific Northwest, but remain open to other options depending on work.

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge straight away rather than taking a separate activation trip. We fly to Seattle on July 25th and head to Portland a little while after that.

We're super excited, but also coping with a healthy fear of the unknown. We've given up good jobs and a nicely established existence, but hey - life is short!

Congratulations to those lucky enough to be afforded such an amazing opportunity, and best of luck!!!!

Pacific Northwest is beautiful. I know a number of Southern Hemisphere transplants in the Portland and Seattle areas and they generally love it, rain notwithstanding.

SusieQQQ, another great contributor. Thank you!

I have some reservations about the rain, but the beautiful national parks, skiing, proximity to BC and liberal culture seem like a good fit. It's strange and exciting to move to a place we have only an academic and third-party understanding of. We drove through California a couple of years ago and just loved it - it remains a real possibility if the PNW doesn't work out. We also know a number of people that loved Portland (as tourists) so we're reasonably confident we'l like it.

EmilyW, I also had/have my eyes on North Carolina. Nice climate, pretty good economy and very affordable housing. What are your thoughts on the differences between Charlotte and Raleigh? Also, I understand there's a relatively conservative culture in NC - would you say that's accurate?

We watch the AFL on TV via our iPad as well. Do you use a VPN in the US?

BritSimon, we fell in love with Yosemite when we were in CA in 2014, and I'd love to be close by - Lake Tahoe as well, just spectacular. SF is super expensive, so Sacramento came up as a potential compromise. What are your thoughts on the place? Or would you recommend somewhere else? Oakland is interesting, but it too may be overpriced at this point.

Thanks guys!

I have some reservations about the rain, but the beautiful national parks, skiing, proximity to BC and liberal culture seem like a good fit. It's strange and exciting to move to a place we have only an academic and third-party understanding of. We drove through California a couple of years ago and just loved it - it remains a real possibility if the PNW doesn't work out. We also know a number of people that loved Portland (as tourists) so we're reasonably confident we'l like it.

EmilyW, I also had/have my eyes on North Carolina. Nice climate, pretty good economy and very affordable housing. What are your thoughts on the differences between Charlotte and Raleigh? Also, I understand there's a relatively conservative culture in NC - would you say that's accurate?

BritSimon, we fell in love with Yosemite when we were in CA in 2014, and I'd love to be close by - Lake Tahoe as well, just spectacular. SF is super expensive, so Sacramento came up as a potential compromise. What are your thoughts on the place? Or would you recommend somewhere else? Oakland is interesting, but it too may be overpriced at this point.

Thanks guys!

Sacramento..proximity to Tahoe yeah, but although the city itself seems quite decent there's not a lot around it. I'm also not sure about how diverse the jobs market is there (my impression is it's quite concentrated in a couple of fields but that's an impression rather than knowledge.) Oakland mmmm some decent areas and some pretty undecent ones...you'd definitely need to visit and see rather than doing internet picking. A big thing with the Bay Area is commute to your workplace, so that will also affect a potential location should you end up here.

We also had as you put it "academic and third party" experience of the town we ended up in though had been to the Bay Area before - but for us it worked really well, hopefully for you too.

Emily will know much better than I about how conservative NC is "on the ground" but it's certainly been in the news recently as a holdout against LGBT equality.

Sacramento..proximity to Tahoe yeah, but although the city itself seems quite decent there's not a lot around it. I'm also not sure about how diverse the jobs market is there (my impression is it's quite concentrated in a couple of fields but that's an impression rather than knowledge.) Oakland mmmm some decent areas and some pretty undecent ones...you'd definitely need to visit and see rather than doing internet picking. A big thing with the Bay Area is commute to your workplace, so that will also affect a potential location should you end up here.

We also had as you put it "academic and third party" experience of the town we ended up in though had been to the Bay Area before - but for us it worked really well, hopefully for you too.

Emily will know much better than I about how conservative NC is "on the ground" but it's certainly been in the news recently as a holdout against LGBT equality.

Yeah, mostly government-based work in Sacramento from what I understand. I've read Oakland is becoming gentrified pretty quickly - but still has some pretty shady areas. Regardless, as a long term 49er fan, I'd be seriously compromising myself if I landed on that side of the bridge... (That said, ending up in Seahawk territory won't be doing me any favors!)

The political leanings in NC are a little concerning. As you say, things can sometimes be different 'on the ground', It'll be interesting to see what EmilyW thinks.

Raleigh - for me anyway - is a bit sterile and Stepford Wives-ish. But the research triangle is something to behold. Lots of smart people in Raleigh (and its surrounds) and the startups are inspiring beyond belief.

North Carolina is a big state and it is the bible belt so you will get conservative pockets. They do love Jesus here. We haven't found it oppressive and we're an inter-racial, liberal minded couple (although we're economically conservative / small government leaning / anti nanny state).

People confuse kindness for ignorance when it comes to the south. Bunch of dumb hicks, right? Dueling banjos? Unsophisticated rubes? Spending their day whittling sticks? You get them. No doubt. I went to a Walmart in mountain country and there was a man shopping in just his underwear. And boots. But I dare say there are dumb hicks in every state. Just like there are bogans throughout Australia. And hipsters in Portland. ;-) Every state and country has its weird ones.

Charlotte (where we are) is the second biggest banking center in the US (after NYC) and is home to Bank of America, the east coast operations of Wells Fargo, Lowe's, and Nascar. Like Raleigh, a very fast growing region of the south east with lots of smart people. The economy is booming and work is plentiful.

As Susie mentioned, they have a stupid law down here about public restrooms. Basically, when it comes to public restrooms, you can only use the bathroom that corresponds with the genitalia you are biologically born with. So transgenders are forced to use public restrooms that go against their gender identity. Private companies can do what they like. So a large majority don't give a sh*t and let people pee where they like. Like alot of laws, it's a really dumb one. There's not one person I've spoken to - at work or in social environments - who thinks it's a good idea.

It's like some crazy potion cooked up by politicians seeking relevance, as opposed to being a reflection of the beliefs of the state. IMO anyway. Don't let that one law cloud your judgement. We have loved every moment of NC.

Plus, in case you missed it, Nascar. A brilliant sport and one that has the best backstory I've heard.

Thanks guys!

I would choose a place to live like this.

1. Lifestyle (climate, things to do, geography, commute times)
2. Work opportunities. Can you find work near where you want to live?
3. Cost of living. Of course, some places are more expensive than others, but salaries tend to compensate. People live in the area and they can afford it. Don't look for a cheap place to live - it's cheap for a reason (or said another way, some places are more expensive because they are worth it).

I wouldn't live in SF without having a budget of spending $3 or $4 million on a house. A million bucks in my area still gets a decent home, not sunning, but nice. Now, once you get over the sticker shock of paying $1m for an OK house, you realize that it appreciates in value pretty quickly, and that increase in value makes you feel better about buying toys (like boats, cars or whatever you like). So - the lifestyle can be quite nice indeed - once you get on the property ladder.

Don't look for a cheap place to live - it's cheap for a reason (or said another way, some places are more expensive because they are worth it).

^^^ I 100% agree with this. Some people have had miserable experiences moving to "cheap" places to live in the US.
I don't however lump the PNW in with that - more reasonable than the Bay Area, sure, but just about everything outside Manhattan is!! The thing for me about the PNW would be more the lack of "big" big city cultural stuff - but if that's not important to you then no big deal.

We love the Bay Area because it has a confluence of factors we value highly: liberal values, beautiful area, good weather (especially once you leave the city itself), lots of outdoor activities, proximity to Tahoe and Yosemite, cultural stuff (theatres, academy of science, Exploratorium, chabot center, art museums, especially now that SFMOMA has reopened, etc etc etc), within a few hours drive or flight of many amazing places, innovation all around you even when you don't go looking for it (for example: I know - just through normal meeting people - 2 people involved in starting up apps that are household names, as well as others involved in startups etc), so many smart people (and it does trickle down!), Berkley and Stanford involved in outreach to and programs with local schools, very immigrant friendly...oh and of course a vibrant jobs market. I really could go on and on. For us, it's definitely worth the higher cost of living.

Raleigh - for me anyway - is a bit sterile and Stepford Wives-ish. But the research triangle is something to behold. Lots of smart people in Raleigh (and its surrounds) and the startups are inspiring beyond belief.

North Carolina is a big state and it is the bible belt so you will get conservative pockets. They do love Jesus here. We haven't found it oppressive and we're an inter-racial, liberal minded couple (although we're economically conservative / small government leaning / anti nanny state).

People confuse kindness for ignorance when it comes to the south. Bunch of dumb hicks, right? Dueling banjos? Unsophisticated rubes? Spending their day whittling sticks? You get them. No doubt. I went to a Walmart in mountain country and there was a man shopping in just his underwear. And boots. But I dare say there are dumb hicks in every state. Just like there are bogans throughout Australia. And hipsters in Portland. ;-) Every state and country has its weird ones.

Charlotte (where we are) is the second biggest banking center in the US (after NYC) and is home to Bank of America, the east coast operations of Wells Fargo, Lowe's, and Nascar. Like Raleigh, a very fast growing region of the south east with lots of smart people. The economy is booming and work is plentiful.

As Susie mentioned, they have a stupid law down here about public restrooms. Basically, when it comes to public restrooms, you can only use the bathroom that corresponds with the genitalia you are biologically born with. So transgenders are forced to use public restrooms that go against their gender identity. Private companies can do what they like. So a large majority don't give a sh*t and let people pee where they like. Like alot of laws, it's a really dumb one. There's not one person I've spoken to - at work or in social environments - who thinks it's a good idea.

It's like some crazy potion cooked up by politicians seeking relevance, as opposed to being a reflection of the beliefs of the state. IMO anyway. Don't let that one law cloud your judgement. We have loved every moment of NC.

Plus, in case you missed it, Nascar. A brilliant sport and one that has the best backstory I've heard.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Sounds as if Charlotte is a great spot to land if you're involved in the banking sector :) I more or less concluded a while back that NC is closer to the type of place I'd love to visit rather than live, but it's hard to know without having been. I have no issue with anyone's personal religious beliefs, but prefer the secular nature of Seattle, Portland and SF (reportedly the three least religious cities in the US.)

As far as Nascar goes, I've never really been attracted to motorsports but would like to know more about its history if there's a good doco you know of. The NFL on the other hand, now that's a sport!

I would choose a place to live like this.

1. Lifestyle (climate, things to do, geography, commute times)
2. Work opportunities. Can you find work near where you want to live?
3. Cost of living. Of course, some places are more expensive than others, but salaries tend to compensate. People live in the area and they can afford it. Don't look for a cheap place to live - it's cheap for a reason (or said another way, some places are more expensive because they are worth it).

I wouldn't live in SF without having a budget of spending $3 or $4 million on a house. A million bucks in my area still gets a decent home, not sunning, but nice. Now, once you get over the sticker shock of paying $1m for an OK house, you realize that it appreciates in value pretty quickly, and that increase in value makes you feel better about buying toys (like boats, cars or whatever you like). So - the lifestyle can be quite nice indeed - once you get on the property ladder.

Well, we sure aren't anywhere close to the $3-4m mark! Still, we haven't ruled out the bay area if Seattle and Portland don't feel like fits. We're also keen on Boulder/Denver. I feel as though the lifestyles in each of these places would be a good fit for us. Work will be a defining factor. Thanks for the advice ;-)

^^^ I 100% agree with this. Some people have had miserable experiences moving to "cheap" places to live in the US.
I don't however lump the PNW in with that - more reasonable than the Bay Area, sure, but just about everything outside Manhattan is!! The thing for me about the PNW would be more the lack of "big" big city cultural stuff - but if that's not important to you then no big deal.

We love the Bay Area because it has a confluence of factors we value highly: liberal values, beautiful area, good weather (especially once you leave the city itself), lots of outdoor activities, proximity to Tahoe and Yosemite, cultural stuff (theatres, academy of science, Exploratorium, chabot center, art museums, especially now that SFMOMA has reopened, etc etc etc), within a few hours drive or flight of many amazing places, innovation all around you even when you don't go looking for it (for example: I know - just through normal meeting people - 2 people involved in starting up apps that are household names, as well as others involved in startups etc), so many smart people (and it does trickle down!), Berkley and Stanford involved in outreach to and programs with local schools, very immigrant friendly...oh and of course a vibrant jobs market. I really could go on and on. For us, it's definitely worth the higher cost of living.

We're moving from inner-Melbourne, so we've definitely become accustomed to the 'big city' way of life - but part of us felt like it might be time to scale down a little. Portland seems like the perfect compromise in that regard.

Honestly though, if we could land great jobs in SF, I'd probably want to move there, although my wife has concerns about earthquakes though, so we'll see!

We're moving from inner-Melbourne, so we've definitely become accustomed to the 'big city' way of life - but part of us felt like it might be time to scale down a little. Portland seems like the perfect compromise in that regard.

Honestly though, if we could land great jobs in SF, I'd probably want to move there, although my wife has concerns about earthquakes though, so we'll see!

Boulder/Denver is definitely an option if you don't mind missing out on big-city cultural stuff. Good feel about the places, decent jobs market, reasonable housing and lots of great outdoors stuff. Winter can be brutal, but if you're skiing then it's ok ;)

As for earthquakes, meh, nature gets you in most of the US :D Can't remember the exact stats but way more people have died from storms/hurricanes along the east coast than earthquakes on the west over the last X decades. Then the Midwest has tornadoes and...yada yada.

Boulder/Denver is definitely an option if you don't mind missing out on big-city cultural stuff. Good feel about the places, decent jobs market, reasonable housing and lots of great outdoors stuff. Winter can be brutal, but if you're skiing then it's ok ;)

As for earthquakes, meh, nature gets you in most of the US :D Can't remember the exact stats but way more people have died from storms/hurricanes along the east coast than earthquakes on the west over the last X decades. Then the Midwest has tornadoes and...yada yada.

We do love to ski! The progressive nature of CO, SF and the PNW is very appealing. Boston stood out to us as an east coast option. We pretty much feel like we can't go too wrong provided we get work in one of those places. Getting more excited every day!

How long have you been in SF?

We do love to ski! The progressive nature of CO, SF and the PNW is very appealing. Boston stood out to us as an east coast option. We pretty much feel like we can't go too wrong provided we get work in one of those places. Getting more excited every day!

How long have you been in SF?

About 18 months now. (We are a little outside the city itself, though closer than britsimon.) The Denver area would probably have been second choice. I wasn't interested in it at all till we visited to check it out, and loved it. Have a couple of good friends there. Way more bang for your housing buck there - but in the end the allure of the coast - and the SF metro area - was too hard to resist for us.

I personally love Boston and that would have been my first choice if I had been completely unrestrained originally - my husband nixed the northeast because of the winters. I am completely happy with where we are now though and yeah...gotta admit I do love great year round weather! (The east bay gets way better weather than the city of SF itself)

favorite-part-of-winter-watching-it-on-tv.jpg

About 18 months now. (We are a little outside the city itself, though closer than britsimon.) The Denver area would probably have been second choice. I wasn't interested in it at all till we visited to check it out, and loved it. Have a couple of good friends there. Way more bang for your housing buck there - but in the end the allure of the coast - and the SF metro area - was too hard to resist for us.

I personally love Boston and that would have been my first choice if I had been completely unrestrained originally - my husband nixed the northeast because of the winters. I am completely happy with where we are now though and yeah...gotta admit I do love great year round weather! (The east bay gets way better weather than the city of SF itself)

favorite-part-of-winter-watching-it-on-tv.jpg

Are you on the east bay? BART seemed pretty great when we were in SF, but we didn't venture to Oakland. Is public transport good enough to commute daily into SF?

Thanks for the detailed response!

Sounds as if Charlotte is a great spot to land if you're involved in the banking sector :) I more or less concluded a while back that NC is closer to the type of place I'd love to visit rather than live, but it's hard to know without having been. I have no issue with anyone's personal religious beliefs, but prefer the secular nature of Seattle, Portland and SF (reportedly the three least religious cities in the US.)

As far as Nascar goes, I've never really been attracted to motorsports but would like to know more about its history if there's a good doco you know of. The NFL on the other hand, now that's a sport!

Mmmm, we're not in banking ourselves. My point was more that there are massive corporations in Charlotte and, as a result, alot of segments end up here as well to take advantage of the economies of scale. I came from government and have ended up in retail (albeit corporate role).

But good luck in whatever you choose! It's probably the most important decision to make when immigrating as where you first land is often the place you stay.

Are you on the east bay? BART seemed pretty great when we were in SF, but we didn't venture to Oakland. Is public transport good enough to commute daily into SF?

Yeah we are east bay, but further east than Oakland ;)
Bart is good enough if you're in easy reach of a Bart station. Not all towns have a Bart, especially further down the 680 corridor (eg Alamo, San Ramon). It also depends where in SF you work because there's basically one Bart line going through the city and if you have to transfer to a muni it can be a schlep...especially if you have to drive to Bart in the first place. If you can find a place in walking distance of Bart and you work somewhere near the SF stations then it's very easy.

Mmmm, we're not in banking ourselves. My point was more that there are massive corporations in Charlotte and, as a result, alot of segments end up here as well to take advantage of the economies of scale. I came from government and have ended up in retail (albeit corporate role).

But good luck in whatever you choose! It's probably the most important decision to make when immigrating as where you first land is often the place you stay.

Thanks EmilyW, I just hope we're as happily settled as you are a year from now :)