• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

MIght be a stupid question but just to be sure. Was the issue that she/he applied from OC eventhough she/he was born in South Africa?

The issue being that he chose Australia as his country of chargeability, when he was being in South Africa. So - he increased his chances of selection massively by doing that and had an OC number, but should have had an AF number. Certain disqualification UNLESS he could use one of the exceptions (marriage, parents etc)

The ones that puzzle me more are those that apply (and get selected), with no real intention on following through. They tie up CN spots that could otherwise have (potentially) be given to someone that really wants to make the move.

Still, there's no helping different human natures I guess.
Yeah but that's why they select more CNs, so that isn't an issue.

Exactly. They don't tie anything up.

MIght be a stupid question but just to be sure. Was the issue that she/he applied from OC eventhough she/he was born in South Africa?

Short answer no; others have done this. The problem was that the person charged to the wrong country.

Just to add to britsimon's answer and to generalize the issue: with few/rare exceptions, your chargeability depends on where you were born. It doesn't matter where you apply from, where you are living, what nationality/citizenships you hold, what passports you hold, whatever... it's where you were born, with the ability to swing 2 exceptions in if you need. It doesn't matter whether applying from the "wrong" country increases or decreases your chance of selection either. What matters is that you read the rules and put the correct country of chargeability. If you get that wrong, you've violated one of the two key eligibility criteria. This is so clear in the rules, it's early in the rules and not buried 20 pages down in the FAQs, and yet every single year we have a number of people who entered charging to the country they currently live in or where they currently have citizenship of. The only way you can get away with this mistake is if the country you charged to is in the same region as the one you should have charged to, because then it would not have impacted whether or not you were selected.

Short answer no; others have done this. The problem was that the person charged to the wrong country.

Just to add to britsimon's answer and to generalize the issue: with few/rare exceptions, your chargeability depends on where you were born. It doesn't matter where you apply from, where you are living, what nationality/citizenships you hold, what passports you hold, whatever... it's where you were born, with the ability to swing 2 exceptions in if you need. It doesn't matter whether applying from the "wrong" country increases or decreases your chance of selection either. What matters is that you read the rules and put the correct country of chargeability. If you get that wrong, you've violated one of the two key eligibility criteria. This is so clear in the rules, it's early in the rules and not buried 20 pages down in the FAQs, and yet every single year we have a number of people who entered charging to the country they currently live in or where they currently have citizenship of. The only way you can get away with this mistake is if the country you charged to is in the same region as the one you should have charged to, because then it would not have impacted whether or not you were selected.

Good write up. One nuance (that I know you know, but just to be clear to others) would be if someone tried to game the system to get around the lower chance of selection in a "limited country".

Certain countries have incredibly high number of entries and as a result get a lower chance of selection. Ghana for instance had over 1.5 million entries (plus family) in DV2015, while Benin had around 100k entries (plus family). As we know there are massive fraud levels in Ghana (the entries themselves give a clue about that), so Ghana get many disqualified selectees prior to the selection being published. However, whilst Ghana had 3381 selectees, Benin received 1758. So - the chance of selection in Benin was MUCH higher than Ghana. If someone in Ghana had tried to circumvent that reality and applied charging to Benin, they would be likely to be disqualified (with a switched on CO). That is because they received an advantage AND had tried a type of fraud. The guidance for COs (pasted below with bold for emphasis) would cover that case.

" if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, and there are no fraud concerns,, you may continue processing the application".

Had
These cases constantly amaze me. Why don't people just read the darn instructions????

Had another one from OC this morning - 2017 winner. He is Iranian, but an Australian citizen. In his case he entered via a third party site, and he followed their apparently incorrect instruction to base the chargeability on citizenship.

Another certain denial. :(

Had

Had another one from OC this morning - 2017 winner. He is Iranian, but an Australian citizen. In his case he entered via a third party site, and he followed their apparently incorrect instruction to base the chargeability on citizenship.

Another certain denial. :(

Are these all people who message you, Simon? I know some people game the system but it would suck if it's an honest mistake you've made after putting your trust in the wrong person. :(
In the above gentleman's case, would this go on his record if he was ever selected for further processing in the future under the correct chargeability?

Are these all people who message you, Simon? I know some people game the system but it would suck if it's an honest mistake you've made after putting your trust in the wrong person. :(
In the above gentleman's case, would this go on his record if he was ever selected for further processing in the future under the correct chargeability?

They contact me via my blog - which comes up fairly high in searches about DV...

The mistake doesn't bar anyone from applying again.

In the two OC cases recently they were both honest mistakes, one of which probably was misinformed because he applied through a third party website. But people make their own luck. Some people read the instructions and figure out how not to screw their own cases up. Others manage to trip over their own shoelaces. In the latter case I think it is sometimes an indication that the person would struggle with the process of emigrating, so it is a sort of "natural selection" process. After all - this is the easiest/fastest way to get a Green Card - by far!

I have activation this weekend!! :D

How does it work exactly? So, I just go through the airport like normal and at the security part they go through my yellow envelope and documents in there?

I have activation this weekend!! :D

How does it work exactly? So, I just go through the airport like normal and at the security part they go through my yellow envelope and documents in there?

Hi @Beauty

We activated in Hawaii, and we were directed to a separate area in customs/security for immigrants (same place, just a different line). Just ask an airport official and they'll tell you where you have to go. Then they just go through your documents, ask a couple of questions, stamp your visa and welcome you to the United States :) It's pretty straightforward.

Quick question guys

How long it takes to get the passports back if you were put on hold (yellow sheet) because missing 1 document? I had my interview last Tuesday and the missing paper should have gotten to the consulate last Thursday. Just wondering when I should be expecting my docs

What are your thoughts

Quick question guys

How long it takes to get the passports back if you were put on hold (yellow sheet) because missing 1 document? I had my interview last Tuesday and the missing paper should have gotten to the consulate last Thursday. Just wondering when I should be expecting my docs

What are your thoughts
Hopefully within 2 to 3 weeks at most.

Hi Everyone,

Just had a question about when they send the Greencard.
Do they address it to the person it's being sent to? i.e. the person I put on my DS-260 who's address I'll be having it sent to. Or do they put my name on the envelope?
Just because my friend might be moving, and if they have their mail forwarded on, I just want to make sure, if it's sent with my name on the envelope that it wouldn't go to the original address if they did move.

If that makes sense.

Hi Everyone,

Do they address it to the person it's being sent to? i.e. the person I put on my DS-260 who's address I'll be having it sent to. Or do they put my name on the envelope?
Just because my friend might be moving, and if they have their mail forwarded on, I just want to make sure, if it's sent with my name on the envelope that it wouldn't go to the original address if they did move.

If that makes sense.

It will be addressed to you. If your friend moves before it gets delivered, the GC will be returned to USCIS, USPS will not forward the GC

Hi Everyone,

If that makes sense.

It will be addressed to you. If your friend moves before it gets delivered, the GC will be returned to USCIS, USPS will not forward the GC

I've still got my envelope. It has my name, above my contact's name, and then the address. But as mom said, it will not be forwarded no matter whose name is on it - USPS cannot forward USCIS mail.