• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi guys

So I stuffed up a little, and Im hoping I can fix this.

So I activated my GC on the 11 Feb, everything went okay with the officer, he was a bit rude about it.

I was going to update the name of the person that my GC would get sent to, (you might remember I posted about it being sent to my partners work location) however the officer said this didn't matter.

What I didn't realize is that the office have moved location, I thought the address I had written down to update to was the same as the one on my DS-260. In talking to my partner after he said that they had moved office, and are now in a different location. I checked my DS-260 and the address is the old location.

Just wanting some advice as to what I should do?

Hi guys

So I stuffed up a little, and Im hoping I can fix this.

So I activated my GC on the 11 Feb, everything went okay with the officer, he was a bit rude about it.

I was going to update the name of the person that my GC would get sent to, (you might remember I posted about it being sent to my partners work location) however the officer said this didn't matter.

What I didn't realize is that the office have moved location, I thought the address I had written down to update to was the same as the one on my DS-260. In talking to my partner after he said that they had moved office, and are now in a different location. I checked my DS-260 and the address is the old location.

Just wanting some advice as to what I should do?

There is probably not much you can do, the GC will, most likely, be sent to the old address. Change your address on the USCIS website. By all means call USCIS, but otherwise you will just have a few months of tracking down the GC (once it is sent) and getting it resent. That assumes that whoever is at the old address does not "accept" the letter. You might be able to make contact with them and get the letter from them.

That might all sound bleak, but try and understand, not having the GC itself is not the end of the world. Your visa has been endorsed to act as your GC for travelling for up to 1 year. The GC is pretty, and you are supposed to always carry it, but you show it very very rarely.

There is probably not much you can do, the GC will, most likely, be sent to the old address. Change your address on the USCIS website. By all means call USCIS, but otherwise you will just have a few months of tracking down the GC (once it is sent) and getting it resent. That assumes that whoever is at the old address does not "accept" the letter. You might be able to make contact with them and get the letter from them.

That might all sound bleak, but try and understand, not having the GC itself is not the end of the world. Your visa has been endorsed to act as your GC for travelling for up to 1 year. The GC is pretty, and you are supposed to always carry it, but you show it very very rarely.

Thanks Britsimon,

This is what I thought, my partner is going to check to see if the company set up to have their correspondence forwarded by the US postal service, so it might all be fine.
I'll call the USCIS and update my address. I'm not too stress about it yet as I wont be moving there until later this year, so I have time to sort it out. I was hoping to get my social security number so I could set up a bank account from Australia (not sure if you can do this) but again not urgent and can sort it out once I'm there.

Thanks Britsimon,

This is what I thought, my partner is going to check to see if the company set up to have their correspondence forwarded by the US postal service, so it might all be fine.
I'll call the USCIS and update my address. I'm not too stress about it yet as I wont be moving there until later this year, so I have time to sort it out. I was hoping to get my social security number so I could set up a bank account from Australia (not sure if you can do this) but again not urgent and can sort it out once I'm there.

USCIS correspondence cannot be forwarded, USPS isn't allowed by law to do that. All undeliverable USCIS correspondence must be returned back to USCIS.

Hi all was wondering if any of you knew much about FATCA. I am going to open a USD account in Australia before I leave and use the citibank global transfer to get it into a citi account in the states which I will open when I arrive in May. I need to fill out a FATCA form to open the account and I need to state if I currently have a Green Card and if I am a US citizen or resident. As I haven't arrived yet and the GC hasn't been activated on the DV has been granted am not considered a resident yet? I.e. will residency only be conferred once I step foot in the US? Sorry bit of a different question. Thank you.

Hi all, thought I'd check in and let you know how things are going. I've been in LA since Wednesday and tomorrow I'll be starting a month of travels down south and through the east coast.

Activation went well, since we Aussies arrive at LAX at the crack of dawn there wasn't much waiting around. Went through customs pretty quickly, the officer noted that the address on my arrival card was different to the one one my envelope so he asked me if I wanted to update it. He then weirdly asked if I had a phone number I could update as well for the new address so I was just going to give him my friends number, and then he asked what about yours? And I said uh, I can give you my Australian number? And he said no, an American one. I was like ummm I just got here and haven't left the airport, I don't have one yet. Lol. But he said it didn't matter anyway. Then he said he had to pass me on to another officer to finalise the change of address - I got sent over to the left side of customs and had to sit in a waiting area. The officer was helping out another likely DV couple before me who were also changing their address. I waited for maybe 15 mins before the officer handed me a piece of paper all about the green card, he got me to sign another paper to confirm the address change and that was it. He said "welcome to America."

I spent my first few days here just recuperating from jetlag and homesickness, but in the past few days I got to go the Oscars red carpet and a couple of TV show tapings. Not a bad way to spend my first week - although it's felt like a very long one!

On my first day I also opened an account with Bank of America which was very easy. I went to Chase initially but they couldn't do it without a secondary ID (e.g. utility bill). But had no problems of BoA. Plus, the lady who opened my account said she also won the green card lottery about 16 years ago! I bought my SIM and phone plan as well before I arrived had it delivered to my friends house which I highly recommend people do if they can. Definitely saved me some unneeded stress and activity on my first day.

Plus, I just found out the other day I've got a paid internship in LA starting next month! Glad I'll have something to keep me busy for the first few months.

Hope everyone else here is going well. :)

Hi all, thought I'd check in and let you know how things are going. I've been in LA since Wednesday and tomorrow I'll be starting a month of travels down south and through the east coast.

Activation went well, since we Aussies arrive at LAX at the crack of dawn there wasn't much waiting around. Went through customs pretty quickly, the officer noted that the address on my arrival card was different to the one one my envelope so he asked me if I wanted to update it. He then weirdly asked if I had a phone number I could update as well for the new address so I was just going to give him my friends number, and then he asked what about yours? And I said uh, I can give you my Australian number? And he said no, an American one. I was like ummm I just got here and haven't left the airport, I don't have one yet. Lol. But he said it didn't matter anyway. Then he said he had to pass me on to another officer to finalise the change of address - I got sent over to the left side of customs and had to sit in a waiting area. The officer was helping out another likely DV couple before me who were also changing their address. I waited for maybe 15 mins before the officer handed me a piece of paper all about the green card, he got me to sign another paper to confirm the address change and that was it. He said "welcome to America."

I spent my first few days here just recuperating from jetlag and homesickness, but in the past few days I got to go the Oscars red carpet and a couple of TV show tapings. Not a bad way to spend my first week - although it's felt like a very long one!

On my first day I also opened an account with Bank of America which was very easy. I went to Chase initially but they couldn't do it without a secondary ID (e.g. utility bill). But had no problems of BoA. Plus, the lady who opened my account said she also won the green card lottery about 16 years ago! I bought my SIM and phone plan as well before I arrived had it delivered to my friends house which I highly recommend people do if they can. Definitely saved me some unneeded stress and activity on my first day.

Plus, I just found out the other day I've got a paid internship in LA starting next month! Glad I'll have something to keep me busy for the first few months.

Sounds like great progress.

Glad they rolled the red carpet out for ya!

Good to know that you made it to the U.S. and won the lottery. I have been following this site for a couple of years and remember when you were participating. This is my second year trying and I'm crossing fingers.

YAY! Congrats Violetion on getting the internship! That's such great news

If it helps, this move is not right for us for financial or career reasons. We're still doing it because life should be an adventure, not a march in the safety zone to retirement.

I think this is a great attitude. We do have some additional considerations though as we are probably due to start a family in the next couple of years. I'm not even sure if paid maternity leave is a thing in the U.S.? That and obviously there's a whole other host of reasons; health care, lack of support, available jobs (or lack of) that could make it a less than an ideal situation. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious/negative? That's what my husband would say!

Our dates to 'activate' will expire end of May. I assume there's no way of extending this date once it's been set in stone on the visa page of your passport?

Last edited:
I think this is a great attitude. We do have some additional considerations though as we are probably due to start a family in the next couple of years. I'm not even sure if paid maternity leave is a thing in the U.S.? That and obviously there's a whole other host of reasons; health care, lack of support, available jobs (or lack of) that could make it a less than an ideal situation.

Our dates to 'activate' will expire end of May. I assume there's no way of extending this date once it's been set in stone on the visa page of your passport?

Maternity/paternity leave is almost always unpaid. There is no legal requirement to pay during maternity leave -= and only a minority of companies do so.

No, there is no way of extending apart from entering and leaving again.

Great progress @violetion . Glad you're enjoying it so far :) Keep us all posted!

Hi all,

I just noticed something they put a different occupation on my yellow envelope to the my actual occupation and the one I stated in my DS260. Should I get this amended before I enter the US in May. I just noticed this should have checked it more closely when I received it in December. Thank you.

Hi all,

I just noticed something they put a different occupation on my yellow envelope to the my actual occupation and the one I stated in my DS260. Should I get this amended before I enter the US in May. I just noticed this should have checked it more closely when I received it in December. Thank you.

Don't worry about it.

Hi all,

I have a bit of a doozy for you.. I arrived in the U.S last week and sadly had my passport stolen when I was at the social security office the day I arrived. I left LA the next day for interviews in San Fran and then NYC this week (I got great job offers in both!), so am back to LA tomorrow to speak to immigration / Australian embassy. I was able to travel internally as I have my old passport which still has a few months validity on it and I have all my documents, including photos of my passport and visa so I am trying not to get too stressed! I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening before? I guess there is no point throwing this out there until I know more details tomorrow, but this forum has been so helpful over the last 8 months that I figured I'd give it another try!

Thanks for any advice!

Hi all,

I have a bit of a doozy for you.. I arrived in the U.S last week and sadly had my passport stolen when I was at the social security office the day I arrived. I left LA the next day for interviews in San Fran and then NYC this week (I got great job offers in both!), so am back to LA tomorrow to speak to immigration / Australian embassy. I was able to travel internally as I have my old passport which still has a few months validity on it and I have all my documents, including photos of my passport and visa so I am trying not to get too stressed! I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening before? I guess there is no point throwing this out there until I know more details tomorrow, but this forum has been so helpful over the last 8 months that I figured I'd give it another try!

Thanks for any advice!

What is your question exactly? Are you worried about not having proof of permanent residence until your plastic green card arrives?

Congrats on the job offers btw!

What is your question exactly? Are you worried about not having proof of permanent residence until your plastic green card arrives?

Congrats on the job offers btw!

haha, an actually question would be helpful - wouldn't it! Thank you :)

I was really just wondering if anyone had heard of what happens when the temporary visa / passport is lost/stolen and if there are any serious ramifications. And yes, if there are other ways to prove my validity of being here!

Hello all!
I'm due to enter the US on March 14... eek! Just wondering what you guys did about travel/health insurance given there's no return date for the trip? Is it possible to still take out travel insurance to ensure you're covered in the interim?

Thanks!