• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

After asking help to my congressman and an info pass, no news about our green card. They are still waiting for the background checks from FBI. We did fingerprints last November and the interview on May. They told me today that my IO have request an expedite background check to the FBI. Do you know how long it can take?

They told me to wait for another month and come back with an info pass if we don't have any news from them.

Taking into account that deadline of September, 30th is approaching , do you think is a good idea to ask the USCIS Ombudsman? When?

Thanks

I'm sorry to learn your background check clearance is still pending. I honestly don't know how long the expedited request may take.

Not sure if the Ombudsman's office can do anything else outside of the expedited request which your FO has already put in, but if it makes you feel like you're doing everything you possibly can from your end to successfully complete the process, then you should contact them.

There's a link for requesting editing access on the Timeline spreadsheet, use that and you'll be granted a read/write access which will enable you add your timeline.

Your IL is a generic. I don't know your visa status or your financial standing, so I can't tell if an affidavit of support may be applicable in your case. If it is though, then what you need to present is an I134, not the I864

Thank you so much for your reply!

My visa status is OPT/F1,my wife(F2). I have a job, however, I am still under training (Not a paid training) next month I will finish the training and start work and will get paid.

Thank you so much for your reply!

My visa status is OPT/F1,my wife(F2). I have a job, however, I am still under training (Not a paid training) next month I will finish the training and start work and will get paid.

You'll definitely need to take along your employment letter. I will however recommend you also have an I-134 on hand as a back up financial document - you only present it if asked.

You should also print out the following 9 FAM document that says DV cases are not eligible to use an I-864, just in case your IO erroneously insist on you presenting that:

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030208.html

Go through the document and highlight the following, just so you're prepared to present your case should the need arise:

(b) The I-864 is not required for Diversity Immigrants (DV applicants) or returning.

(a) Because INA 212(a)(4)(C) and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, for so many classes of immigrants, the use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, has been reduced considerably. Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when Form I-134 will be beneficial. This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be accorded the same weight as Form I-864. Form I-134 should be given consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the other forms of evidence mentioned below.

(b) If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not authorized to use Form I-864:

(i) Returning resident aliens (SBs);

(ii) Diversity visa applicants (DVs); and

I see that I'm not the only case with background check taking long time while the deadline is approaching... Our biometrics was in April and the interview in May.
1) How is it possible to ask the IO to expedite background check to the FBI?
2) Is there any option to know the reason of the delay or contact the FBI to check the status of the "background check" process? Maybe the case was just lost there?
3) Should I use Ombudsman to help expediting the background check?
Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately the fees are none refundable.

From your experience, is it a reasonable chance that "background check taking too long" prevents a person from getting a DV lottery green card? Or this is extremely rare cases and most chances are that the background check will be completed before the deadline?

I am so sorry for posting lots of questions!

Do we have(My wife and I) take two I-134 froms ( one for each of us), or one I-134 is enough for both of us.

Best,

I see that I'm not the only case with background check taking long time while the deadline is approaching... Our biometrics was in April and the interview in May.
2) Is there any option to know the reason of the delay or contact the FBI to check the status of the "background check" process? Maybe the case was just lost there?
Thanks a lot.
you are not the only one my friend, I had bio in oct, interview in first wk of Jan, may be mine is stuck and has taken longest. I contacted Senator and got the default reply that its in process which I already knew, now have reached out to Ombudsman and haven't heard back from that office, so far have had 5 info passes and decided on my last info pass that i am going there anymore... :(

Thanks a lot.

1. You may ask at the INFOPASS appointment - they may or may not agree to do so based on your request. Most FOs typically initiate that on their own though towards the end of the FY.

2. The FBI used to provide status updates upon request to the applicants years back. They no longer do so.

3. Yes, you may use the ombudsman - worth giving it a short.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Finally our case has been approved, today. We are so happy:):).
Mom thanks you so much for all of your helps.
And best wish for everybody who are waiting for this process.
Congratulations!!! It's always nice to hear people get this card!
From your experience, is it a reasonable chance that "background check taking too long" prevents a person from getting a DV lottery green card? Or this is extremely rare cases and most chances are that the background check will be completed before the deadline?
Hey Micheal! Look at ema11 he just posted that he got approved. I think he had the same name check issue as yours you might want to ask him what he did! Hope for the best!!!

I haven't read or heard of a DV case that failed to get through by the end of the FY due to a pending background. The FOs typically do whatever they can to push such cases through at the last minute.

I'm however thinking the increased terrorist attacks worldwide is causing the government agencies to exercise caution and ensure due diligence is done in vetting cases/names that came up as a 'hit' following the initial check which most others successfully got through.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Finally our case has been approved, today. We are so happy:):).
Mom thanks you so much for all of your helps.
And best wish for everybody who are waiting for this process.

Congratulations!!
Have you experienced any delays with the background check? Or you case has been approved very fast after the interview? Thanks!

I haven't read or heard of a DV case that failed to get through by the end of the FY due to a pending background. The FOs typically do whatever they can to push such cases through at the last minute.

I'm however thinking the increased terrorist attacks worldwide is causing the government agencies to exercise caution and ensure due diligence is done in vetting cases/names that came up as a 'hit' following the initial check which most others successfully got through.

Thanks a lot for the information. We will try ombudsman and another INFOPASS visit in ~3 weeks.

It's a relief to know that I am not the only one with background check taking too long. But I really don't understand why it's taking so long. I did my fingerprint in November…. I hope that all of us we can make it before the deadline. Good luck to everyone

For those of you with pending background checks, I know it's of little consolation but you should consider yourselves fortunate to be processing your DV selection via AOS. Imagine if you had opted to do CP, you would have been stuck outside the US all this time while waiting for your background check aka AP to clear.

Hey mom I have a question, do FO's need to make sure that the FBI check has passed before ordering card production or can they initiate it without having it passed?