• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Just wanted to ask if anybody else is experiencing delays with the Newark NJ field office.
Our interview was already more than two months ago but we still didn't get any notice or status update... Online status is still ("Fingerprints fee was received...").
In two days we are going for the INFOPASS appointment to ask about the case.

Hi All!

I received my green card on friday july 29th! I cant believe it but I am GREEN :D:D:D!!!

Thanks again to everybody in this forum for their help and for sharing their questions and experiences. Special thanks to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon. I used a lot your blog at the beginning to check on the visa bulletins.

Here is my updated timeline:

Case Number: SA11XX
Current: May bulletin (Actual June)
Lockbox: 5/2/16
NOA: 5/19/16 (Text/Email)
Bio Letter: 6/10/16
Bio Appointment: 6/24/16
Interview Letter: 7/8/16
Interview Appointment: 7/22/16
Approved: 7/22/16
Green Card received: 7/29/16

My field office was Miami FL.

Here is my interview experience:

I got to the FO at 7 am (interview appointment was at 8 am). There was a line of people formed outside the building waiting to enter. Most of them were there for the citizenship ceremony. They opened the building and the line moved very quick. You go through security, like the one at the airports, and then go to a front desk. Here I gave them my interview letter and they gave me a ticket with a number and was told to wait for them to call my name.

I went to this big seating area and sat there until they called my name. Other people waiting got called really quick for I guess an INFOPASS on small booths that were divided from another. Around 930 the field officer that had my case came through a door and called my name. She took me through a hallway and then into her office. Before seating down she asked me to take an oath.

The FO was really friendly. I think she was around 30 or 40 years old. The first thing she asked me was about my lawyer. Because he wasnt present I had to sign a waiver that I wanted to continue to do the interview without him there. The interview didnt last more than 30 minutes. I took all my paperwork on a accordion style binder but wasnt asked to show almost any of them.

She had a manila folder with all the papers I had sent with the AOS package. She asked for proof of entering the country legally. I gave her my passport with the F1 visa and the I94. She also wanted to see the updated employment letter (as required on the interview letter). She read the letter and added to her folder. We talked about my job and family for around 5 to 10 minutes. She then asked about my current H1B visa and how I had gotten it.

She went through the I 485 and asked me for my DOB, home address and full name. She also asked some of the yes/no questions in the form. Another document that she looked at really carefully was my birth certificate translation but she didnt ask to see the original. She also took a quick look at the copy of my HS diploma that I had sent.

After that, she checked what was my visa number and then looked at the visa bulletin. She took a couple minutes doing something on the computer and then said: I just approved your case, you should receive your green card on the mail within 2 weeks. I couldnt believe it. After that she asked me if i had any questions.

I told her about the error I had on my i485. I dont know if she had noticed it or not but as I explained to her than on part 2 of the form I should have selected letter "h" and write "DV winner" or something she marked it up with a pen and said ok no problem I just fixed it.

And that was it, she walked me out to the waiting area and I left the building. As I got to my car, i checked my phone and had received a text message saying that my case had been updated and to go check the USCIS website. When i logged in it said that my card had been ordered for production. Later that day I got another alert and this one was to say that my case was approved. On wednesday july 27th i got the alert that they had mailed the card.

Well I think that was pretty much it. I have been living in the US since 2005. First on a student visa and then on a work visa. I cant believe it that I dont have to worry about visas any more!

Thanks again for all the help. To everybody out there still waiting, I hope you can get it really soon! Be patience and listen to @Sm1smom she rocks!

Hugo

Hi All!

I received my green card on friday july 29th! I cant believe it but I am GREEN :D:D:D!!!

Thanks again to everybody in this forum for their help and for sharing their questions and experiences. Special thanks to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon. I used a lot your blog at the beginning to check on the visa bulletins.

I got to the FO at 7 am (interview appointment was at 8 am). There was a line of people formed outside the building waiting to enter. Most of them were there for the citizenship ceremony. They opened the building and the line moved very quick. You go through security, like the one at the airports, and then go to a front desk. Here I gave them my interview letter and they gave me a ticket with a number and was told to wait for them to call my name.

I went to this big seating area and sat there until they called my name. Other people waiting got called really quick for I guess an INFOPASS on small booths that were divided from another. Around 930 the field officer that had my case came through a door and called my name. She took me through a hallway and then into her office. Before seating down she asked me to take an oath.

The FO was really friendly. I think she was around 30 or 40 years old. The first thing she asked me was about my lawyer. Because he wasnt present I had to sign a waiver that I wanted to continue to do the interview without him there. The interview didnt last more than 30 minutes. I took all my paperwork on a accordion style binder but wasnt asked to show almost any of them.

She had a manila folder with all the papers I had sent with the AOS package. She asked for proof of entering the country legally. I gave her my passport with the F1 visa and the I94. She also wanted to see the updated employment letter (as required on the interview letter). She read the letter and added to her folder. We talked about my job and family for around 5 to 10 minutes. She then asked about my current H1B visa and how I had gotten it.

She went through the I 485 and asked me for my DOB, home address and full name. She also asked some of the yes/no questions in the form. Another document that she looked at really carefully was my birth certificate translation but she didnt ask to see the original. She also took a quick look at the copy of my HS diploma that I had sent.

After that, she checked what was my visa number and then looked at the visa bulletin. She took a couple minutes doing something on the computer and then said: I just approved your case, you should receive your green card on the mail within 2 weeks. I couldnt believe it. After that she asked me if i had any questions.

I told her about the error I had on my i485. I dont know if she had noticed it or not but as I explained to her than on part 2 of the form I should have selected letter "h" and write "DV winner" or something she marked it up with a pen and said ok no problem I just fixed it.

And that was it, she walked me out to the waiting area and I left the building. As I got to my car, i checked my phone and had received a text message saying that my case had been updated and to go check the USCIS website. When i logged in it said that my card had been ordered for production. Later that day I got another alert and this one was to say that my case was approved. On wednesday july 27th i got the alert that they had mailed the card.

Well I think that was pretty much it. I have been living in the US since 2005. First on a student visa and then on a work visa. I cant believe it that I dont have to worry about visas any more!

Thanks again for all the help. To everybody out there still waiting, I hope you can get it really soon! Be patience and listen to @Sm1smom she rocks!

Hugo

Congratulations!

Hi All!

Hugo
Congratulations man! I had a very similar interview to yours, and got the update to card production too!

Just wanted to ask if anybody else is experiencing delays with the Newark NJ field office.
Our interview was already more than two months ago but we still didn't get any notice or status update... Online status is still ("Fingerprints fee was received...").

Hey my friend! 2 months is a lot for them to make a decision I think. Let us know what the infopass gives back!

Hello mom,
I got an interview letter and in the letter it says to bring the attached documents and one is sealed medical report, we send that already in AOS package, do we ne d to take it again in our interview ?

Hello mom,
I got an interview letter and in the letter it says to bring the attached documents and one is sealed medical report, we send that already in AOS package, do we ne d to take it again in our interview ?

No you don't. The IL you received is a generic one.

Hello Mom

I'm a new member in this forum!

I need to know how to create my timeline for my AOS here!

We (My wife and I) recently received our ILs and our interview will be in this month. One of the requirements the ILs ask to bring to the interview is I-864 form for each of us. We Still confused about this form ( DO WE HAVE TO TAKE THIS FOR TO THE INTERVIEW TO THE INTERVIEW OR THIS IS JUST A GENERIC LETTER).

Here is what the ILs say:

"YO MUST BRING THE FLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:
(Please use as a checklist to prepare for your interview.)

• This Interview Notice and your Government issued photo identification.
  • A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted).
  • A completed Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) with all required evidence, including the fallowing, for EACH of your sponsors (unless already submitted):
  • Federal Income Tax returns and W-2's, or certified IRS printouts for the past 3 years:
  • Letters from each current employer, verifying current rate of pay and the average weekly hours, and pay stubs for the past 2 months;
  • Evidence of your sponsor's and /or co-sponsor's United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status.
  • All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Residence status.
  • Any immigration-related documentation ever issued to you, including any Employment Authorization
  • Document (EAD and any Authorization for Advance Parole (form I-512).
  • All travel documents used to enter the United States, including Passports, Advance Parole documents (I-512) and I-94s (Arival/ Departure document).
  • Your Birth Certificate.
  • Your petitioner's Birth Certificate and your petitioner's evidence of United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status.
  • If ,you have children, bring a Birth Certificate for each of your children.
  • If your eligibility is based on your marriage, in addition to your spouse coming to the interview with you, bring:
  • A certified copy of your Marriage Document issued by the appropriate civil authority.
  • Your spouse's Birth Certificate and your spouse's evidence of United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status.
  • If either you or your spouse were ever married before, all divorce decrees/ death certificates for each prior marriage former spouse;
  • Birth Certificates for all children of this marriage, and custody papers for your children and for your spouse's children not living with you;
  • Supporting evidence of your relationship, such as copies of any documentation regarding joint asset or liabilities you and your spouse may have together. This may, Include: tax returns. bank statements. insurance,docunlents (car, life, heath), property' document (car, house, etc.),rental agreements, utility bills, credit cards, contracts. leases, photos, correspondence and/or any other documents your feel may substantiate your relationship.
  • Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Otherwise, we may keep your originals for our records'
  • If you have ever been arrested, bring the related Police Report and the original or certified Final Court Disposition for each arrest, even if the charges have been dismissed or expunged. If no court record is available, bring a letter from the court with the jurisdiction indicating this'
  • A certified English translation for each foreign language document. The translator must certify that s/he is fluent in both languages, and that the translation in its entirety.v is complete and accurate."

Hi there.
I sent email to KCC in last week ask about my case. They answer me today and they said you suppose to speak with USCIS. I called USciS this morning and lady said you don't need to call us. You suppose to get your interview from your FO and they have to ask us your case.
What I suppose to do. I'm so confuse. Should I get congressional inqury?

Hello Mom

I'm a new member in this forum!

I need to know how to create my timeline for my AOS here!

We (My wife and I) recently received our ILs and our interview will be in this month. One of the requirements the ILs ask to bring to the interview is I-864 form for each of us. We Still confused about this form ( DO WE HAVE TO TAKE THIS FOR TO THE INTERVIEW TO THE INTERVIEW OR THIS IS JUST A GENERIC LETTER).

Here is what the ILs say:

"YO MUST BRING THE FLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:
(Please use as a checklist to prepare for your interview.)

• This Interview Notice and your Government issued photo identification.
  • A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted).
  • A completed Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) with all required evidence, including the fallowing, for EACH of your sponsors (unless already submitted):
  • Federal Income Tax returns and W-2's, or certified IRS printouts for the past 3 years:
  • Letters from each current employer, verifying current rate of pay and the average weekly hours, and pay stubs for the past 2 months;
  • Evidence of your sponsor's and /or co-sponsor's United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status.
  • All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Residence status.
  • Any immigration-related documentation ever issued to you, including any Employment Authorization
  • Document (EAD and any Authorization for Advance Parole (form I-512).
  • All travel documents used to enter the United States, including Passports, Advance Parole documents (I-512) and I-94s (Arival/ Departure document).
  • Your Birth Certificate.
  • Your petitioner's Birth Certificate and your petitioner's evidence of United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status.
  • If ,you have children, bring a Birth Certificate for each of your children.
  • If your eligibility is based on your marriage, in addition to your spouse coming to the interview with you, bring:
  • A certified copy of your Marriage Document issued by the appropriate civil authority.
  • Your spouse's Birth Certificate and your spouse's evidence of United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status.
  • If either you or your spouse were ever married before, all divorce decrees/ death certificates for each prior marriage former spouse;
  • Birth Certificates for all children of this marriage, and custody papers for your children and for your spouse's children not living with you;
  • Supporting evidence of your relationship, such as copies of any documentation regarding joint asset or liabilities you and your spouse may have together. This may, Include: tax returns. bank statements. insurance,docunlents (car, life, heath), property' document (car, house, etc.),rental agreements, utility bills, credit cards, contracts. leases, photos, correspondence and/or any other documents your feel may substantiate your relationship.
  • Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Otherwise, we may keep your originals for our records'
  • If you have ever been arrested, bring the related Police Report and the original or certified Final Court Disposition for each arrest, even if the charges have been dismissed or expunged. If no court record is available, bring a letter from the court with the jurisdiction indicating this'
  • A certified English translation for each foreign language document. The translator must certify that s/he is fluent in both languages, and that the translation in its entirety.v is complete and accurate."

There's a link for requesting editing access on the Timeline spreadsheet, use that and you'll be granted a read/write access which will enable you add your timeline.

Your IL is a generic. I don't know your visa status or your financial standing, so I can't tell if an affidavit of support may be applicable in your case. If it is though, then what you need to present is an I134, not the I864

Hi there.
I sent email to KCC in last week ask about my case. They answer me today and they said you suppose to speak with USCIS. I called USciS this morning and lady said you don't need to call us. You suppose to get your interview from your FO and they have to ask us your case.
What I suppose to do. I'm so confuse. Should I get congressional inqury?

If you contacted KCC to ask about your AOS case, the response they gave you is correct. You only need to ask KCC about your KCC case file, not about 'your case'. You want to find out from them if your FO has requested your KCC case file.

You visit your FO to find out the status of your AOS case. Calling USCIS isn't likely to get you anywhere - contact has to be made with your FO. And yes, you may initiate a congressional inquiry.

Hello Mom,
Question again, can you tell me how can I print out certified IRS tax returns. We have copies of tax return for 2015 n 2014 but not of 2013. If we have tax return do we have to have W2 as well ?

So, we have attended the INFOPASS appointment today. Unfortunately they didn't tell us anything new. Their answer was: Your case is waiting for the "Names check", which is actually the "background check". He also told us that the background check was initiated after we did the biometrics - in April (more than 3 months ago). They don't know when the background check will be finished.

When I asked what will happen if the background check won't be finished until September 30, will we lose our eligibility for this DV green card, the representative replied that he does not know but he thinks that since we already have A-numbers we should be ok in any case. But he was not sure about this.

What is the usual time it takes to complete the background check? Maybe we were just called to early for the interview (just one month after the biometrics) and there is no need to worry?

Thanks!

Hello Mom,
Question again, can you tell me how can I print out certified IRS tax returns. We have copies of tax return for 2015 n 2014 but not of 2013. If we have tax return do we have to have W2 as well ?

You order the IRS tax returns from the IRS website.

I don't think it's a matter of if I have this, do I need to have that. My suggestion is to take all. And if you don't have any of the suggested documents, then you just take whatever you have with you and hope for the best.

So, we have attended the INFOPASS appointment today. Unfortunately they didn't tell us anything new. Their answer was: Your case is waiting for the "Names check", which is actually the "background check". He also told us that the background check was initiated after we did the biometrics - in April (more than 3 months ago). They don't know when the background check will be finished.

When I asked what will happen if the background check won't be finished until September 30, will we lose our eligibility for this DV green card, the representative replied that he does not know but he thinks that since we already have A-numbers we should be ok in any case. But he was not sure about this.

What is the usual time it takes to complete the background check? Maybe we were just called to early for the interview (just one month after the biometrics) and there is no need to worry?

Thanks!

Yes the background check only get initiated AFTER the bio appointment since they need to capture the biometrics which will be used in carrying out the necessary checks - so nothing new or unusual regarding that.

Background check completion varies from individual to individual. Some people clear this in a matter of days, while others may have to wait for weeks, months, or years to clear that hurdle. It all depends on the outcome of the initial check - for some that initial check doesn't reveal anything the authorities need to be concerned about, while for others the initial check may indicate a need for further investigations to be carried out.

Thanks!

And what the IO said regarding being okay on the basis of already being issued with an Alien number is not correct - and I'm glad he made it clear he wasn't quite sure though. Any DV based case not approved by COB on Sept 30th of their applicable FY will no longer be eligible for a GC.

And what the IO said regarding being okay on the basis of already being issued with an Alien number is not correct - and I'm glad he made it clear he wasn't quite sure though. Any DV based case not approved by COB on Sept 30th of their applicable FY will no longer be eligible for a GC.

Thanks for the reply. And in case we won't get the GC, will they refund any fees we have paid?

Congressional inquiries has been known to sometimes make a difference depending on what's causing the delay. It wouldn't be recommended and the congress people wouldn't bother wasting their time to follow up if it makes absolutely no difference.

EAD approval has no bearing on the GC approval, meaning it's not a guarantee the AOS petition will be approved. There's nothing going on with the month of May and the approval rate. What you've observed is simply a coincidence.

Hi Mom,

After asking help to my congressman and an info pass, no news about our green card. They are still waiting for the background checks from FBI. We did fingerprints last November and the interview on May. They told me today that my IO have request an expedite background check to the FBI. Do you know how long it can take?

They told me to wait for another month and come back with an info pass if we don't have any news from them.

Taking into account that deadline of September, 30th is approaching , do you think is a good idea to ask the USCIS Ombudsman? When?

Thanks