• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi guys, do you know if in the previous years happened to any user in this forum to go over the deadline of September 30? In particular I was wondering this: imagine that a FO sleep until August (any reference to the field office of San Francisco is purely coincidental lmao) and still they need to ask the KCC's file and maybe get the background check/name to be cleared. How can they do that in few weeks, ask SEVIS to generate the Green Card, approve the case and send it to you? Even worse imagine if they ask at the interview more documents because they realize that something is missing to your paperwork... I mean would be crazy to loose the Green Card because THEY are waiting the last moment.

Any case not approved by the end of work on Sept 30th is basically over, regardless of if the reason was due to a pending background check or the FO erroneously scheduling an interview past the applicable FY (which has happened in the past - a very rare occurrence which of course could have been corrected if the petitioner visited the FO to explain the fact they needed to get interviewed and approved by the end of the FY).

Now, regarding the hypothetical situation you described, we've explained over and over again in this forum the fact that it's possible for a case to become current in Sept, and get approved before the FY is over. We've seen cases that got approved just before the close of work in Sept 30th. We've read of cases where the IO has called a petitioner, asked them to drop everything and come in right away for an interview. They are mostly aware of the deadline implications and usually try to do their best and work together with DV applicants. They can do everything within a day, if they need to!

You should spend sometime going over the last couple of pages of past AOS threads.

I'm kind of concerned because looking at other AOS cases (eg employment based) it seems that a non-neglectable number of applicants get stuck on FBI name checks for many months far beyond normal processing times.

Does anybody here know if DV-AOS applicants from previous years (particularly those who filed months ahead of the end of the fiscal year) lost their GC because of this?

The FBI website namecheck FAQ points out that there are ways agencies can ask for expedite name checks. However I don't know if USCIS actually request them for DV AOS cases.

I can't quite recall any DV based AOS case that lost out due to a pending background check which failed to clear by Sept 30th (not to say there has never been on). I do know that as the FY draws to an end, most FOs tend to spend up DV based AOS cases, including expediting background checks as much as they can without jeopardizing their jobs or the country.

I have my interview next Tuesday. I was wondering how official we should dress. Should I suit up? And wear tie?

Hi all,

My visa number will be current in May and I just finished my medical exam. After seeing all the things in the blog and the time line I am a little worried now. I am sending my application today and worried about the all the delays that are happening. Will I be able to finish everything in time?

I have my interview next Tuesday. I was wondering how official we should dress. Should I suit up? And wear tie?

Yes, if that's how you typically dress, otherwise wear anything you're comfortable with. The key words are smart and decent. Of course, anything with offensive language printed should be avoided, regardless how smart looking that may be.

Hi all,

My visa number will be current in May and I just finished my medical exam. After seeing all the things in the blog and the time line I am a little worried now. I am sending my application today and worried about the all the delays that are happening. Will I be able to finish everything in time?

Yes, you should be able to finish, unless of course your background check turns up with something.

Yes, you should be able to finish, unless of course your background check turns up with something.
Thanks. One more question. Sending the cashier checks for the payments is fine right. I saw a lot people send the personal checks to see the cashed date. Sending cashier checks wont add any complications?

Hello Mom,

Today my husband and children got their green card but I did not. My status is still " fingerprint fees was received". Theirs was updated to "the card was mailed". I am the primary applicant and they are my derivative. I do not know how they got approved without me. I asked last week because I thought it is just a mistake in the system but today after I did not get my card I realized that their approval was not a mistake.
Do you have any idea about such a case? And if for any reason they delayed my approval, do you think this will affect their card since their status is dependent on me.
Thanks

Thanks. One more question. Sending the cashier checks for the payments is fine right. I saw a lot people send the personal checks to see the cashed date. Sending cashier checks wont add any complications?

It shouldn't. It just means you may not be able to track when your payment was cashed.

Hello Mom,

Today my husband and children got their green card but I did not. My status is still " fingerprint fees was received". Theirs was updated to "the card was mailed". I am the primary applicant and they are my derivative. I do not know how they got approved without me. I asked last week because I thought it is just a mistake in the system but today after I did not get my card I realized that their approval was not a mistake.
Do you have any idea about such a case? And if for any reason they delayed my approval, do you think this will affect their card since their status is dependent on me.
Thanks

Their approval is most definitely a mistake! They shouldn't have been approved without you, the PA being approved. I'm certain the sh** will hit the fan if, God forbid, you don't get approved eventually. Of course it's possible your GC may also be on its way as we speak.

I do know of cases, not DV based, where the derivatives got approved prior to the PA's approval. The derivatives' GC were eventually recalled and cancelled by USCIS. The good news is they got new cards though upon the PA's approval.

Their approval is most definitely a mistake! They shouldn't have been approved without you, the PA being approved. I'm certain the sh** will hit the fan if, God forbid, you don't get approved eventually. Of course it's possible your GC may also be on its way as we speak.

I do know of cases, not DV based, where the derivatives got approved prior to the PA's approval. The derivatives' GC were eventually recalled and cancelled by USCIS. The good news is they got new cards though upon the PA's approval.
Ohhhh is this mean that they may lose their card if I am not eventually approved !!
I am very surprised too and very confused. How they approve them without me. I was in infopass two weeks ago and told me the case is under review then they approve them in the online status.
I hope they approve me soon this is so stressful :(

Ohhhh is this mean that they may lose their card if I am not eventually approved !!
I am very surprised too and very confused. How they approve them without me. I was in infopass two weeks ago and told me the case is under review then they approve them in the online status.
I hope they approve me soon this is so stressful :(

Unfortunately yes, that's what it means. Not trying to stress you any further than you already are, just trying to paint a clearer picture of what could happen. Their cards have been erroneously approved and issued.

But keep your fingers crossed, if you're certain there's nothing in your background that could render you inadmissible or make you a security risk, then you will be approved eventually.

Unfortunately yes, that's what it means. Not trying to stress you any further than you already are, just trying to paint a clearer picture of what could happen. Their cards have been erroneously approved and issued.

But keep your fingers crossed, if you're certain there's nothing in your background that could render you inadmissible or make you a security risk, then you will be approved eventually.
Yes, I am 100% sure that there is nothing with my background check. I have done that before for work purpose and it only took few weeks for clearances. Now it has been so long. I am only afraid that my case sleeps in the FBI check and the fiscal year is over.
Thank you for immediate reply

Thanks Mom. One more question, I will pass 6 months of my medical check by the day of interview. Do you think I should do it again before the interview?

That's an unusual response. Could they be referring to your KCC file? Did you confirm if your KCC file was requested and received by them? Did you confirm if your background check is pending?
I didn't ask if they have received my KCC file or not, but 2-3 months ago I asked about the background check and they said it's done. On the last INFOPASS, I ask do I have everything I need? and they said yes and you just need to wait until they respond. It might take up to 2 months!!
Is there anything that I can do? I'm getting nervous.

I didn't ask if they have received my KCC file or not, but 2-3 months ago I asked about the background check and they said it's done. On the last INFOPASS, I ask do I have everything I need? and they said yes and you just need to wait until they respond. It might take up to 2 months!!
Is there anything that I can do? I'm getting nervous.
Do you wanna give KCC a call at 606-526-7500 and ask if your FO requested your file? If they did, ask when KCC sent it.

I just called KCC, it seems that my FO has requested my file on march 8 (on my interview date). But KCC didn't know if they have sent it or not!! Isn't it weird? She asked my to call back again tomorrow.