• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

And one more question please,

How can I pursued the officer at INFOPASS to expedite my processe?
Bascially, do they have any authority to speedup the BC process? If yes, how can I ask them? Now it is for 5 month that we did our biometrics and our case is still pending, and their rsponse is same: " it is in process ".

Thanks a lot.

AFAIK, if the reason for a delayed approval is due to a pending background check, I'm not sure if writing an expedite request to the FO has any impact on the process (I feel it's just a response the IOs give at an INFOPASS to get the applicant away from their presence). Nobody wants to be found responsible for granting someone (who otherwise shouldn't have been approved) a GC if it turns out there's something shady about the person's past.

You can of course contact your congressman and request their assistance with following up with your FO, of course even the congress person wouldn't ask them to expedite the process when the delay is due to a pending background check. USCIS however could always use their discretion in asking the agencies involved with the process to speed it up following series of enquiries.

Dear Mom,

I appreciate your warm response. So I should mention that we made an INDOPASS one month ago, but they told us it is in process. Although we asked them about the reason (to find out is it regarded to BC results or BC results are released), they didn't tell us anything, except saying it is in process and normal.
So when I asked her (@ infopass) to expedites the process, she told me you can write a letter to the officer who did our interview. And I don't know how should I write such letter.

Would you please help me more?
Thanks a lot

Make another INFOPASS appointment.
Contact your congress person and request for them to follow up with your FO on your behalf.

@Sm1smom - Does entering the DV lottery in previous years (before started living in the US on a NIV) show any immigrant intent? I read in one of the posts somewhere that the officer asked the applicant how many times they tried the lottery. Maybe that was just a casual question but wanted to ask you.

For as long as the DS-260 form (or DS-230 which was used in the past) was never submitted, simply entering the DV lottery does not constitute demonstrating an immigrant intent. It's probably a casual conversation aimed at gauging an applicant's honesty. While it isn't a demonstration of an immigrant intent, and the CO cannot deny a NIV petition based on that, if a person denies having entered the DV lottery in the past, when they've actually done so, the CO could deny the NIV on that basis - that's why it's very important to always be truthful when facing the IO/CO.

For as long as the DS-260 form (or DS-230 which was used in the past) was never submitted, simply entering the DV lottery does not constitute demonstrating an immigrant intent. It's probably a casual conversation aimed at gauging an applicant's honesty. While it isn't a demonstration of an immigrant intent, and the CO cannot deny a NIV petition based on that, if a person denies having entered the DV lottery in the past, when they've actually done so, the CO could deny the NIV on that basis - that's why it's very important to always be truthful when facing the IO/CO.

Perfect. Thanks for the info. So it wouldn't cause a problem in the AOS interview either, right?

Reactions: mdb
Dear Mom,

I appreciate your warm response. So I should mention that we made an INDOPASS one month ago, but they told us it is in process. Although we asked them about the reason (to find out is it regarded to BC results or BC results are released), they didn't tell us anything, except saying it is in process and normal.
So when I asked her (@ infopass) to expedites the process, she told me you can write a letter to the officer who did our interview. And I don't know how should I write such letter.

Would you please help me more?
Thanks a lot

This link may help you understand why this takes so long.

http://britsimonsays.com/administrative-processing-fbi-name-checks/

Yes, actually we ( my wife and me) did our fingerprints on October 2015. After that, we had an interview on January 6, 2016. So at the interview, the officer told us everything is clear except the BC results (name check). Even he told us that he wondered why it took time so much. So, now it is near 5 months that we did our fingerprints and our case is still pending.
So I was wondering if youcould help us by telling us what should we do right now at this postiin.
Thanks
How long your back ground check takes before you get your F1 & F2 visa?

I told you before, you're on AP. And yes, there have been cases of DV based AOSers who ended up on AP just like you - check some of the past AOS threads if you want to know about those cases. They ended up being approved though, but of course it took some time, series of INFOPASS appointments and requesting assistance from their congress person to follow up with the USCIS before those cases finally got approved.
Hello mom, I could not find those cases. All what I found people with AP but not DV based

So I had my InfoPass this morning.

The officer who helped me was nice but she wasn't really eager to do much for me other than answering questions.
I took all my documents that I would need at the interview just in case but it didn't happen.

Anyways, she told me that my file was assigned to an officer at the beginning of February. I guess it's a good sign, at least I know that it's not collecting dust somewhere.
When I asked about my background checks. She asked when I got my prints taken and looked at her computer for a while then said my finger prints are valid for 15 months. I don't know why she told me that but when I asked if all background checks are cleared, she said fingerprint/name checks were completed [or something like that, can't remember the exact verbiage she used].

I reminded her twice that this is a DV based case and there are time constraints regarding processing and approval and she said they're aware of that. Apparently, she doesn't know much about the KCC file since she looked at me as if she didn't know what I was talking about when I asked if they have received the file from Kentucky Consular Center.
She advised that if a couple weeks pass and I don't get the interview letter and start to get worried, I should call the 800 number for a SR and tell them that this is a DV based case so they can put it in writing. Though, I don't really think that it's going to expedite anything.

Wish she gave me the interview letter on-spot but at least I know that the file is assigned to an officer and waiting for review. Hopefully, it's a good sign.

I also had an infopass this morning.

The officer was aware that it's a DV case and that it must be completed until the end of September (I wonder if it's because she talked to @beau earlier, from your description I'm pretty sure we talked to the same one).

She told me to renew the EAD card if it expires, I said that I thought that it's impossible to renew it since it's a DV case, then after a while she said not to renew it and that I need to wait for the interview.

I was told that my case is pending and that I should keep waiting. I asked if they received my file from KCC, she said that yes she is looking at the file (I'm not sure she understood what I meant though). I asked about the background checks, I didn't really understand the answer (she said something about fingerprints and that a name check is different from a background check).

She told me to keep waiting, not to miss the appointment when I get one and to schedule another infopass if I don't get an interview by the end of July(!).

I found it a little odd that she mentioned several times that the deadline is the end of September like there's something I can do about it (also, I was of course aware of that).

I also just got a reply to the SR I opened a few weeks ago:

Your petition/application is still pending consideration. We regret that we are not able to give you a timeframe for when we will complete the review of your petition/application.

I also had an infopass this morning.

The officer was aware that it's a DV case and that it must be completed until the end of September (I wonder if it's because she talked to @beau earlier, from your description I'm pretty sure we talked to the same one).

She told me to renew the EAD card if it expires, I said that I thought that it's impossible to renew it since it's a DV case, then after a while she said not to renew it and that I need to wait for the interview.

I was told that my case is pending and that I should keep waiting. I asked if they received my file from KCC, she said that yes she is looking at the file (I'm not sure she understood what I meant though). I asked about the background checks, I didn't really understand the answer (she said something about fingerprints and that a name check is different from a background check).

She told me to keep waiting, not to miss the appointment when I get one and to schedule another infopass if I don't get an interview by the end of July(!).

I found it a little odd that she mentioned several times that the deadline is the end of September like there's something I can do about it (also, I was of course aware of that).

JULY? Jesus. I truly hope she didn't know what she was talking about...
Well, at least, we did everything we can possibly do. We'll all end up having the patience skill set of a monk.

Last edited:
JULY? Jesus. I truly hope she didn't know what she was talking about...
Well, at least, we did everything we can possibly do. We'll all end up having the patience skill set of a monk.

It's been observed a few times on this thread that some FOs seem to "batch" DV interviews and that this often means back-loading them.

@fiore Hi. I noticed that your field office is in PA. Mine is in PA as well (Philadelphia). Can you please tell me where is your field office? I have been waiting for more than 4 months without any interview letter.

Hello mom, I could not find those cases. All what I found people with AP but not DV based

Wish I had the time to link up the referenced AOS cases, but I don't. There definitely are previous AOSers listed on the past AOS threads (in this forum) who were once in the same situation as you're in now. As a matter of fact, (not sure if you bother to read other people's posts, outside of your, on this thread or not), @mdb is also on AP just like you.

Anyway, the past timelines spreadsheets can also give you an idea of former AOSers who were held back on AP. You should be able to tell by looking at they had their interview compared to when their cases got approved/got their GC issued.

Wondering if there is any differences between Name check, Background check and administrative processing!? These terms look similar to me and make me confused!

Wondering if there is any differences between Name check, Background check and administrative processing!? These terms look similar to me and make me confused!

Name check and background check are both security checks the that are run using your name and fingerprints. It is a quite thorough check using various US and international organizations' (like FBI, Interpol, OFAC etc) databases. I think you can find a list of those organizations and more detail about the process if you google.

If your fingerprints and/or name somehow gets a hit (name similarities usually cause this hit), meaning if it matches with a person of interest for the USA, then they need to look into you in even more detailed way. At that point, until they find out that you are not a threat to national security (that it was just a name similarity, etc), they put you under Administrative Processing.

As far as I know, the term Administrative Processing is an official term for CP cases but it also is de facto used for AOS cases that are stuck in name/security checks.

Hope this answers your questions. Try to google if you need more detail as my answers may not be fully right.