• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

I just called KCC, I will be current on March and I didn't expect any positive reply from them. But to my surprise, they said my FO has requested my file today and it will take about 2 days for them to send the file. I m keeping my fingers crossed.

Just came back from Philadelphia FO. Officer told me that your case is being reviewed by my supervisor and you will probably hear from us in 30-6- days!!! He did not agree that it has been too long (4 months :mad:!!)! He told if I do not hear from them in 60 days, then I can go back again! But, I am gonna go there in 30 days from now. I think the back-and-forth play just starts, but I am not gonna keep it going by this way. I will definitely apply with my NIW after next 30 days. I would have never applied with DV program for GC if I could imagine it takes this long.

Hi mom and everyone.
Do you think I should make a phone call to KCC before I go to INFOPASS to check whether FO requested my file? I read @NiwDV 's post and I thought my case might be same too. My FO is LA county but still waiting for IL. My number became current in October. I had first INFOPASS but it didn't help at all, they just told me to wait. I will have another INFOPASS appointment day after tomorrow.
This call will take few minutes and does not hurt at all. You better call them and make a feeling of the process.

Just came back from Philadelphia FO. Officer told me that your case is being reviewed by my supervisor and you will probably hear from us in 30-6- days!!! He did not agree that it has been too long (4 months :mad:!!)! He told if I do not hear from them in 60 days, then I can go back again! But, I am gonna go there in 30 days from now. I think the back-and-forth play just starts, but I am not gonna keep it going by this way. I will definitely apply with my NIW after next 30 days. I would have never applied with DV program for GC if I could imagine it takes this long.
Presumably the National Interest Waiver process starts to look better and better ;)... Anyway, there is a lot of time left until September 30, 2016 and you seem to be proactive on your DV case and surely will be successful in the end. Just don't expect it to necessarily move along the timeline you may have expected from the outset. Good luck!

Presumably the National Interest Waiver process starts to look better and better ;)... Anyway, there is a lot of time left until September 30, 2016 and you seem to be proactive on your DV case and surely will be successful in the end. Just don't expect it to necessarily move along the timeline you may have expected from the outset. Good luck!
Thanks for reassurance. I hope it does not go too far.

Hi, I called KCC this morning and they told me LA county office requested my file in November so they sent it already... I don't know why I'm still waiting, the lady on phone said I should have gotten IL since my case are ready. So I have infopass appointment tomorrow. Can I mention that I already called KCC and they said should get IL soon?

Hi, I called KCC this morning and they told me LA county office requested my file in November so they sent it already... I don't know why I'm still waiting, the lady on phone said I should have gotten IL since my case are ready. So I have infopass appointment tomorrow. Can I mention that I already called KCC and they said should get IL soon?

Since you opted for AOS, KCC can only tell that, you should have gotten an IL, through the assumption that your case number is current. They can't see the status of your I-485 because it is being processed by the USCIS. So technically [because we're not doing CP] KCC has nothing to do with our interview letters.
I would follow what Simon advised earlier about how to talk to the officer during your InfoPass for the best outcome.

Good luck, btw!

Since you opted for AOS, KCC can only tell that, you should have gotten an IL, through the assumption that your case number is current. They can't see the status of your I-485 because it is being processed by the USCIS. So technically [because we're not doing CP] KCC has nothing to do with our interview letters.
I would follow what Simon advised earlier about how to talk to the officer during your InfoPass for the best outcome.

Good luck, btw!

KCC can't tell you anything really beyond you are current and your file has been requested/sent. That does NOT mean that you "should" have got the IL. KCC has not say in when you get the IL.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Good luck, btw!
KCC can't tell you anything really beyond you are current and your file has been requested/sent. That does NOT mean that you "should" have got the IL. KCC has not say in when you get the IL.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Thank you @beau @Britsimon ! Isee, so basically I shouldn't/don't have to mention anything about what KCC said, just gently ask what Britsimon said earlier. I'm a little nervous for tomorrow though.
Do you think I havn't got IL because my I-485 had issue?

Thank you @beau @Britsimon ! Isee, so basically I shouldn't/don't have to mention anything about what KCC said, just gently ask what Britsimon said earlier. I'm a little nervous for tomorrow though.
Do you think I havn't got IL because my I-485 had issue?
It may not only be related to I-485 issue. It may also be related to your country of origin, FO and the officer. A lot of things. So subjective.

Last edited:
Hi all.
I've been reading last 10 pages of this thread and just decided to share my opinion.

Apparently there are not so many interviews going on in all FOs across the country in January and February this year. You can see that through the spreadsheet with the timelines here, and I have also noticed the same story on other forums even those that are dedicated to the non-DV AOS. Yeah, they have a different procedure, but the story is basically the same -- many interviews in December and then just 2-3 during the last two months.

What I want to say -- please be patient. The fact that you are waiting for that long doesn't mean that there is an issue with your particular case. Yeah, this timeline may look weird comparing to the previous years (I can't check whether there was a period with few interviews in past years at the moment), but it started looking pretty "standard" for me now.

And just to mention, it's been six months since I filed for AOS, five months since I had my biometrics appointment, four months since I got my EAD. KCC said that my file was requested in October :) I had an INFOPASS two months ago when I was also told to wait for 30-60 days. I'm having my second INFOPASS on March, 2, which is even a bit more than 60 days after the first one.

I understand all of you, I was also impatient and stressed out at first. I was even hoping to be done by New Year, or later, Spring Break, so that I could visit my family whom I haven't seen for a long time. But I am calmer now, there is still plenty of time. It's not like we are waiting in the line at the supermarket -- we are waiting for a BIG change in our lives, so it is definitely something that worth waiting. So let's just be patient. I keep my fingers crossed for all of you, guys!
And once again, thank you so much for this wonderful forum.

Last edited:
Hi,
May I ask regarding to the Biometrics Letter, do we need to do anything to get it or we just need to wait? (Didn't see that it is mentioned in the spreadsheet.) I filed my application, and got the Receipt Number on the NOA. But the Status Updates mentioned nothing aboout Biometrics Letter.
Thanks.

Hi, thanks for sharing, your case seems to make me feel that if we file in February, things are gonna be risky becuz of the deadline is September. Do anyone suggest to have an INFOPASS as soon as possible?

Hi all.
I've been reading last 10 pages of this thread and just decided to share my opinion.

Apparently there are not so many interviews going on in all FOs across the country in January and February this year. You can see that through the spreadsheet with the timelines here, and I have also noticed the same story on other forums even those that are dedicated to the non-DV AOS. Yeah, they have a different procedure, but the story is basically the same -- many interviews in December and then just 2-3 during the last two months.

What I want to say -- please be patient. The fact that you are waiting for that long doesn't mean that there is an issue with your particular case. Yeah, this timeline may look weird comparing to the previous years (I can't check whether there was a period with few interviews in past years at the moment), but it started looking pretty "standard" for me now.

And just to mention, it's been six months since I filed for AOS, five months since I had my biometrics appointment, four months since I got my EAD. KCC said that my file was requested in October :) I had an INFOPASS two months ago when I was also told to wait for 30-60 days. I'm having my second INFOPASS on March, 2, which is even a bit more than 60 days after the first one.

I understand all of you, I was also impatient and stressed out at first. I was even hoping to be done by New Year, or later, Spring Break, so that I could visit my family whom I haven't seen for a long time. But I am calmer now, there is still plenty of time. It's not like we are waiting in the line at the supermarket -- we are waiting for a BIG change in our lives, so it is definitely something that worth waiting. So let's just be patient. I keep my fingers crossed for all of you, guys!
And once again, thank you so much for this wonderful forum.

Thank you for posting the number. It seems this is a dedicated number for only DV lottery cases. I wish USCIS had something like that. I just called and was told that my file was requested by USCIS in November and sent to them in December.

Btw, I've been trying to schedule an additional infopass for the past few weeks but keep getting a message that says that there are no appointments available. A few days ago I opened a case inquiry and they said I'll get a response within the next 30 days or so. Yesterday, when I tried to schedule infopass again, I got a different message saying that I can't make any more appointments at this time. Not sure if it's because of the case inquiry or something else.

I've submitted the case inquiry here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayONPTForm.do?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=onpt

I have exactly the same situation in Florida FO: current in October, bio - 26th October, first infopass on 5th January - was told to "wait", now during one week I could not schedule infopass and yesterday the same message saying that I "can't make any more appointments at this time" appeared.

Dear Bristsimon and Mom,
Have you ever seen a DV case reopened after approval? What is its process and timeline? Should I pay the fee again?
I haven't received the reopen notice mail as yet and I have no idea what is going on there. I have an infopass for next Tuesday to get more information about my case.

IMHO, I think it's pointless at this time to be wondering if a similar case to yours has happened in the past or not, or how long the process is likely to take, you know precisely why your case got reopened. You just have to be patient for your INFOPASS when you can possibly get more info on what's going on, or wait for something to show up in your mail box. It's not a matter of paying another fee, the case hasn't been rejected (which would have been a basis for re-filing and making a new payment).

Hello everyone, just an update on our case. We went to the infopass for the 2nd time. Before that I called KCC to ask about our file, and was told that our file was sent on Feb 23 to our FO.
On infopass they told us that our case is pending for interview, and right now they scheduling cases in order that they received them. I pointed that our case is DV and I am afraid that they will ran out of visa slots, they responded that they know that DV visa has timeframes(I assume they meant that we have time by the end of the fiscal year), but nothing about slots. They were not sure about background checks, but said that probably we already passed them since KCC sent them our file (not sure if it works that way). Well, anyway, now we need to wait for our IL probably end of march/april, hoping for the best.
P.S. I received my EAD card on Feb 22, but my wife did not, online inquire says her case is under review. Could it be because of the background checks? Or it could be just anything? (it s been already way more than 90 days since they received her EAD application)

You should have asked at the INFOPASS about the status of your wife's EAD card. It's not tied to the background check, not sure why it didn't show up same day as yours, but wouldn't be surprised though if it shows up in the next couple of days.

I had an interview on Monday 2/22/2016. They asked me questions from I-485 form.Besides, they also asked me about the financial conditions. I submitted them my affidavit of support form which I had not submitted on my application package before. The interviewer took my I-94 card from my passport and told me that she will call me.
They did not say if my case was approved or disapproved.

So, do I just wait for the call? Is that what happens after interview?

No, don't expect a call. They do not call to inform of the outcome/result. Maybe the IO said something like, they will 'contact' you, and not 'call' you? Anyway, it doesn't matter, what the exact word is. If you signed up for case status updates, you'll receive a text/email letting you know when a decision is made. Also, if you login and check your case status, you'll be able to see when a decision is made.

Frankly speaking, 4 months is not too long. If your NIW based petition would require an interview, it wouldn't have gone any faster than the DV based AOS petition. DV is still the fastest AFAIK, however, getting scheduled for an interview still involves how busy your applicable FO is. The DV process, on average takes about 3 - 4 months to complete, it's however not unusual for it to be a 5 - 6 months afar. It all has to do with the workload the FO has to contend with at the time of filing.

The NIV AOS petition isn't necessarily going to be faster than the DV AOS petition. DV is time sensitive, NIV isn't. It all depends on the FO's workload as at the time of filing. And like you rightly noted, there's still plenty of time left in the FY.

I believe a lot of the DV AOS petitioners were/are expecting to be interviewed in the month they become current (as applicable to CP cases), especially with the early filing allowance. Well not so with AOS, the process on average is about 4 months. Could be longer for busy FOs or in situations where the petitioner's background check is still pending, which would have been AP for CP cases.