• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi,
I have the following two questions:
1) As I understand, the high school diploma is necessary minimum condition to be eligible for the DV greencard. I can't find my high school diploma, however, I have my Bachelor and Master degrees diplomas. Can I just send them or it is important to provide specifically the high school diploma?
2) Do we need to notarize the copies of all the documents (or some of them) when sending them in the AOS package? Or just photocopying them is enough?
Thanks!

1. Some IOs have been known to have specifically requested to see the HS diploma, while others haven't bothered. I do suggest doing whatever you can to get the HS diploma in addition to whatever other diplomas or certificates you plan on sending with the AOS pack. But if you can't get it, then there's nothing else you can do except keep your fingers crossed and hope things go well.

2. No notarized documents required, just clear/legible copies.

Hi,
I am planning to apply for Adjustment of Status based on 2016 DV lottery winner.
My issue is I am in H-1B transfer process.
I would like to know what I should enter for my current USCIS status in form I 485 and do I enter expire date of previous H-1B or just say "Authorized stay" for the expire date.

Thank You in advance

You seem to be turning in circles. Your main concern at this stage is not whether the "F1 Notice of action (I 797 receipt ) would keep the place of a valid I-94". Your I-94 you can find here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html. Several people, independently from each other, have informed you what the risk to your DV AOS application is. Hence, there is no need to repeat this issue in detail here once again: you will be successful if your AOS process may be finalized before your pending, independent F-1 application would possibly be declined first, in which case your DV AOS filing would be left in limbo. This is not rocket science. Good luck! Truly, I am not sure whether you have options other than to see the AOS process through to the end at this stage of the game.

Got it. Thank's for clarifications. Actually the lawyer did explain all this but then I was reading a lot of interview experiences here and another forums and then became confusing if we were allowed to apply from period authorized of stay or just from valid status. Anyway, we will wait & hope for the best. We just had the biometrics and will see how long it takes to get the IL. I'm assuming since we were in this period authorized of stay, we should plan for having a sponsor at the time of the interview, or at least a job offer, right? If we use a sponsor and he/ she will need to have her/his tax returns with the application, do we need to have a copy of our past years tax returns as well?

Hi,
I am planning to apply for Adjustment of Status based on 2016 DV lottery winner.
My issue is I am in H-1B transfer process.
I would like to know what I should enter for my current USCIS status in form I 485 and do I enter expire date of previous H-1B or just say "Authorized stay" for the expire date.

Thank You in advance

Please ask an immigration attorney or post these questions on the avvo forum for guidance
http://www.avvo.com/ask-a-lawyer

Got it. Thank's for clarifications. Actually the lawyer did explain all this but then I was reading a lot of interview experiences here and another forums and then became confusing if we were allowed to apply from period authorized of stay or just from valid status. Anyway, we will wait & hope for the best. We just had the biometrics and will see how long it takes to get the IL. I'm assuming since we were in this period authorized of stay, we should plan for having a sponsor at the time of the interview, or at least a job offer, right? If we use a sponsor and he/ she will need to have her/his tax returns with the application, do we need to have a copy of our past years tax returns as well?
If you want to make sure to be on the safe side (which in principle is always a good when dealing with USCIS) you may want to consider completing Form I-134 in preparation of your interview. Now, depending on your personal financial circumstances, you either would use the document to organize transparent overview of your own personal financial situation, including all respective supporting documentation attached to it, or in case your current financial circumstances may not be quite as strong, by finding a sponsor who would back you up as necessary. The objective for both approaches simply is to provide evidence that you won't become a public charge down the road. You may want to review the detailed information in the following link: https://www.uscis.gov/i-134 Good luck!

Last edited:
1. Some IOs have been known to have specifically requested to see the HS diploma, while others haven't bothered. I do suggest doing whatever you can to get the HS diploma in addition to whatever other diplomas or certificates you plan on sending with the AOS pack. But if you can't get it, then there's nothing else you can do except keep your fingers crossed and hope things go well.

2. No notarized documents required, just clear/legible copies.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,
When the form i-485 is filled for small kids, what should I write in Part 5 and Part 6? Do I just sign and write my name instead of the child in Part 5? Or should I fill the Part 6 (signature of a person preparing form)?
Thanks.

I have some questions regarding what must be sent for AOS:

1. Do I have to send this info about my spouse?: School diploma, w2, payment stubs, Social Security Card, bank statements...

2. Do I need an employment letter if I'm currently working full time and I'll continue to be working full time by the time of the interview?. And with the same employer. Isn't it enough to include payment stubs and the w2?

3. My status is Spouse of E2. I understand we both have to include form I-508, or only my spouse, who is the principal E2?.

4. The check that must be sent is a regular personal check from a US bank, and not a cashier's check right?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi,
When the form i-485 is filled for small kids, what should I write in Part 5 and Part 6? Do I just sign and write my name instead of the child in Part 5? Or should I fill the Part 6 (signature of a person preparing form)?
Thanks.

Sign on behalf of your child and write your own full name in Part 5. Leave Part 6 blank.

I have some questions regarding what must be sent for AOS:

1. Do I have to send this info about my spouse?: School diploma, w2, payment stubs, Social Security Card, bank statements...

2. Do I need an employment letter if I'm currently working full time and I'll continue to be working full time by the time of the interview?. And with the same employer. Isn't it enough to include payment stubs and the w2?

3. My status is Spouse of E2. I understand we both have to include form I-508, or only my spouse, who is the principal E2?.

4. The check that must be sent is a regular personal check from a US bank, and not a cashier's check right?

Thanks a lot for your help!

1. Refer to the AOS process spreadsheet
2. Same as 1 above
3. If you're both adjusting status, you both need to include the I-508
4. Same as 1 above

You can starts following the OPT NOA, although it would be better to actually have an approved OPT before demonstrating your immigrant intent, but time may not be on your side. So you'll have to make the call on that.
Hi Mom, is there a risk to making an OPT application after submitting DS260 and paying DV fees? Could it be considered misrepresentation of intent and hurt the DV case? I understand it would have been ideal to apply before submitting DS 260, but I was unfortunately not aware of this issue before. If it is harmful to the DV case, I would not apply for OPT and switch to the CP track.

Last edited:
Hi Mom, is there a risk to making an OPT application after submitting DS260 and paying DV fees? Could it be considered misrepresentation of intent and hurt the DV case? I understand it would have been ideal to apply before submitting DS 260, but I was unfortunately not aware of this issue before. If it is harmful to the DV case, I would not apply for OPT and switch to the CP track.

Submitting the DS-260 form and making the DV payment prior to submitting an OPT application will not be considered a misrepresentation and hurt the DV case itself. Just make sure you take care of the OPT part before sending in your AOS package.

Hi Mom,

A few things here.
  1. How can I share my timeline to benefit to other applicants?
  2. My wife already did the biometrics for another Adjustement of Status less than a year ago. Will she still need to do the Biometrics for the DV again?
  3. If 2 is yes, will she be able to walk in an USCIS anywhere in the US or it has to be the same as me (main applicant) which I assume will be the place we live (currently Dallas)?

Please let us know,

Thanks,
Jerome

Submitting the DS-260 form and making the DV payment prior to submitting an OPT application will not be considered a misrepresentation and hurt the DV case itself. Just make sure you take care of the OPT part before sending in your AOS package.
I did this. I did submit DS 260 and also payed the DV fee. Then I submit the OPT application. I was little worried but in my case I got the OPT card on time.

Thank you Mom!! We will apply to OPT right away.

Good news is that I have my EAD card approved and I just got the notification that it has been ordered for production. I haven't received any update on my AP, it still says Case Was Received. My question is that since the AP comes with the EAD as a combo, will that be updated too or is it possible for that to get denied?

Also can I accept a job whiles waiting for the card to arrive in the mail without actually starting the job??

Hi Mom,

A few things here.
  1. How can I share my timeline to benefit to other applicants?
  2. My wife already did the biometrics for another Adjustement of Status less than a year ago. Will she still need to do the Biometrics for the DV again?
  3. If 2 is yes, will she be able to walk in an USCIS anywhere in the US or it has to be the same as me (main applicant) which I assume will be the place we live (currently Dallas)?

Please let us know,

Thanks,
Jerome

1. There's a link on the AOS process spreadsheet to the 2016 Timelines spreadsheet where you can share your timeline (AOS process spreadsheet link below):
https://goo.gl/x7x3td
2. I can't say for certain. She will receive a bio noticed, addressed to her, if she's required to do another bio.
3. It's possible to do the bio at any ASC, however some ASC may refuse if one attempts a walk in at their peak period.

Good news is that I have my EAD card approved and I just got the notification that it has been ordered for production. I haven't received any update on my AP, it still says Case Was Received. My question is that since the AP comes with the EAD as a combo, will that be updated too or is it possible for that to get denied?

Also can I accept a job whiles waiting for the card to arrive in the mail without actually starting the job??

The AP most likely got approved also. Anyway, you'll find out when the card shows up.

Yes, you can accept a job. I would however expect a potential employer to request for some form of work authorization before you can resume anyway.

Hi

I am trying to make in infopass appointment since it has been 75 days since my interview and I have not heard back from my FO. I go to the website but it tells me there are no information appointments available for the office in your area.

what should I do?