• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Thanks.

Thanks mom, Pictures of the marriage was sent to us but no evidence of expensive receipts. Also their no evidence for joint assets, bills and insurance because we are student and we leave on campus. Do you think we can make it without all these documents?

The receipts I mentioned needn't be for expensive items, just receipts of basic items purchased or simple payments made for the wedding. Well, you guys may be okay at the end of the day, the IO may not even make an issue of the lack of a marriage receipt from the proxy ceremony - I'm basically trying to get you to be as prepared as you can should the IO have any doubt about the authenticity of your marriage.

Dear All,

I would like to share my spouse and my experience of interview. We had our interview on Tuesday, 12/22/15. Our appointment was at 9 and 10 a.m. and we arrived around 8.30 a.m. There was no one in the FO and after waited about 20 minutes, the IO called us in and asked us to swear that we would tell and answer nothing but truth. She was very nice and explained the purpose of the interview which was to review the i-485 applications. My spouse was the winner so she primarily asked her. The two major questions basically were: (1) she wanted to make sure that we have maintained our legal status in US and (2) we have never done any crimes/illegal activities. She did check our passports, diplomas, however, she did not ask us to show our financial proofs (but I still recommend readers to bring them). And since we went there with our baby, she asked us to show her our baby's birth certificate (you should bring original one) and she made a copy. At the end of the interview, she mentioned that she had an authority to approve the case at the end of the day but she needed to collect other information (at this point I did not ask further). She even mentioned to us to wait about 10 business days to get our cards.

After the interview, we were rushed on the way to airport for our vacation and we thought our online status would change in a day or two, unfortunately it remains the same until today. We will wait until end of January, we hope we will get the cards by then. I will keep update to everyone. Wish everyone the best. Happy New Year.

If you're a DV2016 selectee, I doubt your I-485 was 'approved' on Sept. 28th, you probably mean it was 'accepted'. Yes, the processing does take a while, and the online status will most likely not change until after your case is approved or denied (which for most people will be after their interview). Here's a couple of things you can do:

- check the Timelines spreadsheets for both DV2016 and the past couple of years to get an idea of how long it takes your FO to approve DV cases. You can also use it to compare yours to other FOs. The Timelines links can be found on the AOS spreadsheet.

- schedule an INFOPASS appointment with your FO to follow up on your case.
Hi Sm1smom,
Thank You for th reply.

I got a letter yesterday from USCIS which had my interview date. My current immigration status is a F1 student and I currently work on campus as a student worker. The letter said to bring the letter of employment if you are employed. So, in this case do I need to ask the university to give me a letter which says I work on campus? And the other question is do I need to show the letter of affidavit? and what are the other documents that I need to take?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Sm1smom,
Thank You for th reply.

I got a letter yesterday from USCIS which had my interview date. My current immigration status is a F1 student and I currently work on campus as a student worker. The letter said to bring the letter of employment if you are employed. So, in this case do I need to ask the university to give me a letter which says I work on campus? And the other question is do I need to show the letter of affidavit? and what are the other documents that I need to take?

Thank you in advance!
I was also in F1 status. She answered me the same question in the previous pages, I'm pasting it here:

Sm1smom: "My suggestion to someone on a student visa, especially for those whose annual income is from working as a student/research assistant, has always been and (still is) to have an affidavit of support on hand as a back-up financial evidence. Unless of course they already have a substantial amount of savings they will be presenting in addition to the annual income evidence.

Having said that though, anyone who feels an I-134 is unnecessary is free to present what they deem sufficient in their opinion."

Hi Sm1smom,
Thank You for th reply.

Thank you in advance!

Please see @Bluefox's response above.

In addition, with regards to the employment letter, yes get one from your university if you can - that letter also serves as evidence of being in good standing with your school. Regarding the other documents to take along, please refer to the AOS spreadsheet which has adequate and useful information for the process.

I was also in F1 status. She answered me the same question in the previous pages, I'm pasting it here:

Sm1smom: "My suggestion to someone on a student visa, especially for those whose annual income is from working as a student/research assistant, has always been and (still is) to have an affidavit of support on hand as a back-up financial evidence. Unless of course they already have a substantial amount of savings they will be presenting in addition to the annual income evidence.

Having said that though, anyone who feels an I-134 is unnecessary is free to present what they deem sufficient in their opinion."

Thanks pal ;)

called the KCC this morning to ask if my IO requested the KCC file for my interview on 1/21. I was told that KCC file was not requested so I guess that might delay the process a tiny bit after the interview. I will try to politely bring it up during the interview, but hopefully IO realizes s/he needs to request it before I get there. so @Pamuk you aren't alone in this :)

Your interview is soon. Before you go to interview you may call KCC again regarding your file. I hope you will have a good interview...

Hi Mom,

I called KCC today and they said that my file was sent to my FO in Dec 21 and it should have been received in the same day. However, no change has been made to my I-485 status yet. Can I call the FO to bring attention to the case? BTW they informed me that the need 4 weeks to send the file from the date it is requested but it only took them 4 days to send it. Thanks for your help.

Hi Mom,

I called KCC today and they said that my file was sent to my FO in Dec 21 and it should have been received in the same day. However, no change has been made to my I-485 status yet. Can I call the FO to bring attention to the case? BTW they informed me that the need 4 weeks to send the file from the date it is requested but it only took them 4 days to send it. Thanks for your help.

Do you have a direct number for calling your FO or you mean the general 1800 number? The 1800 number isn't going to connect you to your FO nor give you any useful or encouraging response.

It's good to know KCC has sent the file sooner than indicated. You however will need to be more patient, it's not like the IOs typically jump on a pending case once the information they're waiting on comes in. Plus there's the holiday period to contend with.

Do you have a direct number for calling your FO or you mean the general 1800 number? The 1800 number isn't going to connect you to your FO nor give you any useful or encouraging response.

It's good to know KCC has sent the file sooner than indicated. You however will need to be more patient, it's not like the IOs typically jump on a pending case once the information they're waiting on comes in. Plus there's the holiday period to contend with.
I do not have a direct number to call the FO so I will wait. Thanks so much for your help and happy new year!

Hi,

Thanks for the moderators of this forum and those who created the spread-shit I have learn a lot of the process already.

I do have a couple of questions remaining though. This is my situation:
  • Work in San Francisco on a H1b, my wife works here too on F1/OPT. Her OPT finishes in November.
  • While she *seems* to not have succeeded with the H1B lottery, I have won the DV lottery with 2016EU00016XXX.
  • My employer submitted my perm on EB2 on March the 9th
I guess my main concern is for my wife to be able to work as soon as possible after Nov. Given the current PERM processing times (and assuming there is no audit), I should have that approved somewhere between September and December. On the other hand, my dv number is expected to become current around January.

1. If the perm is approved just a few months before the dv number is current. Which AOS is worth perusing DV or employment based?
  2. While I have no reason whatsoever to believe my job could be terminated. I am too settled down in SF too leave anything to chance. How easy would be to switch to CP if before the DV number is current I suddenly lose my job?
Thanks for your help
Hector

I opted for consular processing because I thought it's more reliable; no issues. I went out of country, and returned after 3 days with perm. status. With PERM, your employer is in control, with DV, you are in control. With AOS, you have to maintain your legal status at all times (every day); CP is faster.

I opted for consular processing because I thought it's more reliable; no issues. I went out of country, and returned after 3 days with perm. status. With PERM, your employer is in control, with DV, you are in control. With AOS, you have to maintain your legal status at all times (every day); CP is faster.

CP isn't always faster, and the chances of approval are higher with AoS in some cases. There are other differences between the two methods, so people need to make an informed choice. Mom has already explained some of the differences in the spreadsheet.....

Hello mom and everyone,
During the interview: do they ask for original birth certificate? I do not have one and it is really difficult to get one from my country. Have anyone gone through similar experience?

Thanks

Hello mom and everyone,
During the interview: do they ask for original birth certificate? I do not have one and it is really difficult to get one from my country. Have anyone gone through similar experience?

Thanks

They are supposed to ask for it, and they often do. However there have been reports from some that no original document was requested by the IO during the interview.

Do you think a document of birth certificate from the embassy work?

I don't know if that will be acceptable. The DOS website says:

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth.

Unobtainable birth certificates: Some birth records may not be obtainable if, for example:
  • The applicant's birth was never officially recorded.
  • The applicant's birth records have been destroyed.
  • The appropriate government authority will not issue one.
In these cases, please obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason the applicant's birth record is not available.

Read more directly from the website:
http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Hi,

I am now at F1 visa and I am going to send my application packages in February during the time my number gets current. May I ask in this case, can I travel to my original country in May? When I am doing AOS, will USCIS take my passport and keep them until I get the green card? Thanks.

Hi,

I am now at F1 visa and I am going to send my application packages in February during the time my number gets current. May I ask in this case, can I travel to my original country in May? When I am doing AOS, will USCIS take my passport and keep them until I get the green card? Thanks.
If your F1 visa is valid, then you can still travel outside the U.S. and re-enter the country. Again, your re-entry permission is granted by the officer at the airport. Nobody will take your passport for the AOS.
However, you should think of that once again, because you may get the Interview Letter while you are out of the country. And it might happen, that the interview is scheduled, and you are not back yet.