• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Your experience isn't necessarily different from others I've heard/read about. Sounds like your KCC file might not have been requested prior to your interview. Not sure if I'm reading your post wrongly - seems like you did not make it clear to the IO you were asking about the KCC file - the response "this is the file" seems like you simply asked about your file and she assumed you were talking about the AOS file. Anyway, you've already confirmed from KCC that the file hadn't been requested for prior to your interview. All you can for now is simply wait. You can give KCC another call towards the end of the week to find out the status of that file.

I also think that KCC file has not been requested yet. As I said earlier I called KCC before the interview; the lady whom I talked to on the phone this morning confirmed this fact.

I asked IO about my KCC file twice during my interview:
First, I asked whether my file was requested from KCC yet. She said "the file is here, this is the one we are looking at right now". I saw it, it was my AOS package that I mailed to USCIS in September.
Then she told me she didn't have DV Letter. I told her that I sent it with my file and it should be there, in the same folder. I told her that I had the same papers in front of me (when we started interview, I took all of them out of my bag and put them on the table). When I showed her the contents of my file/cover letter, she searched and found the letter. I also mentioned about the email that I received from KCC (2NL) in October. She wanted to see it and then she photocopied it. Finally, I asked again whether she would request anything from KCC after the interview or whether they have already requested anything/any paper/file from KCC before the interview. She responded "No, and she had everything she needed". Then I gave up as I didn't know what to do any more.

I assume I might not have asked the right question and so confused her. This happened to me when I called KCC previously and asked them about 2NL. They didn't understand what I was talking about then either. I used every possible word that I remembered about the email. Finally, I just asked "well, DV Lottery Winners outside the US receive emails from KCC. Is that correct?" She responded "yes". Then I asked "how about winners who were already inside the US? Would they receive any emails?" There it was, she then understood what I was trying to tell her with my limited knowledge about that email (2NL). I assume now that the similar misunderstanding might have happened at the interview when I asked about my KCC file.

I wish we had an option of asking a question to someone outside the USCIS: Just like "who wants to be a milliner?" When the person doesn't know the answer, they use the phone option (something like a joker); they can call outside the studio. I wish we had that kind of option. And, you mom, would wait for us to call you for help when we don't know what else to do at the interview. You would say the right thing/ask the right question/anything that could help us there, and you would save us. That would have been wonderful (a miracle actually). Each time, when we share our experiences, you exactly know what we might have missed or what might have gone wrong. I feel like we are little children in a kindergarden who worry about everything, always do wrong things and then desperately seek help from their teacher (in this case, you Mom). I am so thankful that you are always willing to help us; no matter how much we whine, complain, become desperate or inpatient. Well, you always save the day.

I hope that everything will be fine at the end and I will receive my answer soon just like happy others in this forum.

Thank you very much...

Last edited:
I also think that KCC file has not been requested yet. As I said earlier I called KCC before the interview; the lady whom I talked to on the phone this morning confirmed this fact.

I asked IO about my KCC file twice during my interview:
First, I asked whether my file was requested from KCC yet. She said "the file is here, this is the one we are looking at right now". I saw it, it was my AOS package that I mailed to USCIS in September.
Then she told me she didn't have DV Letter. I told her that I sent it with my file and it should be there, in the same folder. I told her that I had the same papers in front of me (when we started interview, I took all of them out of my bag and put them on the table). When I showed her the contents of my file/cover letter, she searched and found the letter. I also mentioned about the email that I received from KCC (2NL) in October. She wanted to see it and then she photocopied it. Finally, I asked again whether she would request anything from KCC after the interview or whether they have already requested anything/any paper/file from KCC before the interview. She responded "No, and she had everything she needed". Then I gave up as I didn't know what to do any more.

I assume I might not have asked the right question and so confused her. This happened to me when I called KCC previously and asked them about 2NL. They didn't understand what I was talking about then either. I used every possible word that I remembered about the email. Finally, I just asked "well, DV Lottery Winners outside the US receive emails from KCC. Is that correct?" She responded "yes". Then I asked "how about winners who were already inside the US? Would they receive any emails?" There it was, she then understood what I was trying to tell her with my limited knowledge about that email (2NL). I assume now that the similar misunderstanding might have happened at the interview when I asked about my KCC file.

I wish we had an option of asking a question to someone outside the USCIS: Just like "who wants to be a milliner?" When the person doesn't know the answer, they use the phone option (something like a joker); they can call outside the studio. I wish we had that kind of option. And, you mom, would wait for us to call you for help when we don't know what else to do at the interview. You would say the right thing/ask the right question/anything that could help us there, and you would save us. That would have been wonderful (a miracle actually). Each time, when we share our experiences, you exactly know what we might have missed or what might have gone wrong. I feel like we are little children in a kindergarden who worry about everything, always do wrong things and then desperately seek help from their teacher (in this case, you Mom). I am so thankful that you are always willing to help us; no matter how much we whine, complain, become desperate or inpatient. Well, you always save the day.

I hope that everything will be fine at the end and I will receive my answer soon just like happy others in this forum.

Thank you very much...

Ha ha ha - had a good laugh going over your post. Indeed, I so wish something like a life line call is available during the interview process.

Anyway, don't feel bad as to what else you could done or didn't do. I think you did everything right under the circumstances and you asked the right questions. It's obvious she hadn't gone over your AOS file diligently prior to your arrival and that she didn't request the KCC file either. I think you've already crossed the major line remaining, you just need to exercise some patience now going forward.

AOS is considered to be in progress from when USCIS acknowledge the receipt of the AOS package. An AP card cannot be requested when an I-485 form hasn't been submitted. All you've done to date is the submission of your DS-260 form demonstrating an immigrating intent. Admission or readmission into the US (regardless of a demonstrated immigrant intent) is always at the discretion of the the CBP officer.

Thanks you are always informative. This is very clear. It is a green light as far as I am concerned! I will report here with my experience when I return.

I went to an infopass in NY two weeks ago, they checked my file and said everything looks ok and that they didn't start inviting for interviews yet so I should keep waiting.

I'm guessing your approval is being held up by a pending background check. The good news is you got interviewed early, the FY is still at the early stage, you will eventually get through. I know the waiting sucks though, but nothing you can do about that for now.
Yeah. We are not entirely sure what is the delay for. I have a question: I have EAD and if for some reason, I wont get my status changed by Sept 2016, do I need to do anything? I am in H4 and got my EAD. Do I need to apply to change status again back to H4?

Ha ha ha - had a good laugh going over your post. Indeed, I so wish something like a life line call is available during the interview process.

Anyway, don't feel bad as to what else you could done or didn't do. I think you did everything right under the circumstances and you asked the right questions. It's obvious she hadn't gone over your AOS file diligently prior to your arrival and that she didn't request the KCC file either. I think you've already crossed the major line remaining, you just need to exercise some patience now going forward.

:) That would be great !

Waiting is really hard but I need to be patient. Thank you...

Yeah. We are not entirely sure what is the delay for. I have a question: I have EAD and if for some reason, I wont get my status changed by Sept 2016, do I need to do anything? I am in H4 and got my EAD. Do I need to apply to change status again back to H4?

You'll just have to stop working if you're using the DV based AOS EAD card to work, since the card automatically becomes invalid after Sept. 30th if the AOS petition isn't approved by then.

Yay, just got a text from USPS saying my Green Card is out on the truck for delivery to my house this morning :)

Thanks again Mom for all your help - have a fantastic Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year!

That is awesome news!! What a great Christmas present :)

Yay, just got a text from USPS saying my Green Card is out on the truck for delivery to my house this morning :)

Thanks again Mom for all your help - have a fantastic Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year!

An awesome Christmas present you're getting. Merry Christmas!

Hello mom and everyone,

What does 2NL stand for? I want to call KCC and ask for it again. I have sent my DS-260 since May and I have not received anything from them and when I called last time they did not know what I was talking about and told me there is no second email for AOS for DV winners in USA. When I went to FO they told me exactly the same and I just need to wait for IL however this waiting took longer than I expected so I want to give another call for KCC asking about 2NL since this might be the reason for the delay.

My case number is 2016AS00000xxx (current on Oct.) and did the biometric on mid of Nov. After that there was no news from USCIS. Their website still it shows "your fingerprint fee was received ". recently I called KKC and ask about whether USCIS requested visa or not. What they have told me (as for others ) USCIS still have not requested the visa and I need to talk to USCIS regarding this (I was expecting this answer by the way :\). After that, I called USCIS and they said it will take another 4-5 months to process your case since they are processing April cases. I told them this isDV lottery bla blabla.... . but they were saying it doesnt matter its DV or not, it will take the same amount of time as others.

This is so confusing. I'm planning to go to my local USCIS office and talk to them. Mom, do you think this works? Are there specific questions I need to ask from them?

Regards!! and Happy holidays......

Hello mom and everyone,

What does 2NL stand for? I want to call KCC and ask for it again. I have sent my DS-260 since May and I have not received anything from them and when I called last time they did not know what I was talking about and told me there is no second email for AOS for DV winners in USA. When I went to FO they told me exactly the same and I just need to wait for IL however this waiting took longer than I expected so I want to give another call for KCC asking about 2NL since this might be the reason for the delay.

2NL = 2 notification letter = an acknowledgement email with a attachment from KCC acknowledging their awareness of your decision to process your DV selection through AOS.

I already addressed your question in the past regarding the response from KCC about 2NL for those processing AOS. In addition, the receipt or lack of it has no bearing what so ever as to when you receive your IL - that is completely dependent on your FO. Go through the timeline links on the AOS spreadsheet and use that to get an understanding of how long it typically takes your applicable FO to send out ILs or to complete the process in general.

Hello Mom,

I also have a question regarding th2 2NL. I had sent my AOS package before I found this thread. At that time at some other forums, I saw that it is not necessary to send DS260 for AOS, so I didn't do that.
I wasn't worried about that all this time, but now I am a bit concerned about this matter. What are the possible consequences of not filling out DS260?
Thank you!

My case number is 2016AS00000xxx (current on Oct.) and did the biometric on mid of Nov. After that there was no news from USCIS. Their website still it shows "your fingerprint fee was received ". recently I called KKC and ask about whether USCIS requested visa or not. What they have told me (as for others ) USCIS still have not requested the visa and I need to talk to USCIS regarding this (I was expecting this answer by the way :\). After that, I called USCIS and they said it will take another 4-5 months to process your case since they are processing April cases. I told them this isDV lottery bla blabla.... . but they were saying it doesnt matter its DV or not, it will take the same amount of time as others.

This is so confusing. I'm planning to go to my local USCIS office and talk to them. Mom, do you think this works? Are there specific questions I need to ask from them?

Regards!! and Happy holidays......

Have you taken a look at the Timelines spreadsheets for DV2016 and some past years (links on the AOS spreadsheet) to get an idea of how long it typically takes your FO to schedule a DV based AOS interview and to complete the process? Calling the USCIS number to find out when you're likely to be scheduled is a waste of time. The agents who answer the phone are customer reps who read out the prepared scripts they've been given, answers not applicable to DV cases.

Paying your FO a visit is a good idea. Even if it does not lead to an IL being issued on the spot, it does give the case some desired nudge behind the scene - it brings it to someone's attention in case it's been overlooked. One of the questions you might want to ask is whether your background check has cleared or is still pending. You can also ask the officer if your case file from KCC has been requested.

When you do talk to them, be careful to use the right choice of words to prevent your being given a run around answer or some incorrect information. USCIS does not request for visa from KCC - that's an example of asking the wrong question or using the wrong choice of word like you did above.

Hello Mom,

I also have a question regarding th2 2NL. I had sent my AOS package before I found this thread. At that time at some other forums, I saw that it is not necessary to send DS260 for AOS, so I didn't do that.
I wasn't worried about that all this time, but now I am a bit concerned about this matter. What are the possible consequences of not filling out DS260?
Thank you!

Bottom line is not filling out or submitting the DS260 form isn't responsible for the delayed IL, it will not lead to a denial at the end of the day. Submitting the form helps give KCC an idea of the number of people planning to process their DV selection and their preferred process method. As far as AOS is concerned, it's mainly used for statistics analysis by KCC.

Hi All,

We had our interview earlier today. It went okay.
Couple of things:
* There was another person in the room together with the IO. I'm guessing FO is under audit or smth. Anyway, both officers were nice and pleasant.
* IO was surprised that I didn't receive my appointment letter(only my wife did, I'm the primary applicant); he has actually shown me a copy of IL that they were supposed to send out, so either the person that was mailing or the post office messed up. Anyway, that was not a problem.
* First issue was that we did not fill out I-134 Affidavit for Support form for my wife. Perhaps I misunderstood the guidelines in the spreadsheet, but I thought that I do not need that form because I am employed and my wife doesn't need it because she's derivative of my application. IO printed out the form and I filled it there. If that's something new - may be a good amendment to the guidelines in the spreadsheet.
* Second issue was that the doctor did not sign one of the I-693 forms. IO offered us to go get the signature and bring back the document ourselves(he notified guards that we'll come back). If we were to mail the document back he said he would have to issue an RFE.
* Third issue is interesting.
He said he could not get some file on me. Asked if I had any pending applications with USCIS - my company has filed PERM and I-140(but not I-485) and he's saying that someone else is holding the file for that other application.
He said he would need to contact the person that's holding the file, explain the situation and get the file from them. He mentioned that it probably will take a while to get that file because of all the communication that needs to happen and that would probably be another officer working on our case because it will fall into the review queue.
If there was no issue with the file, he said he would have approved the application today.
When we came back with the signed letter - he said he now has all the information, but cannot do anything until that file is received.

Sm1smom, do you recall any issues from previous years when IO would not be able to access the file on the applicant? Specifically when there's a pending I-140 filed?

Hi All,

We had our interview earlier today. It went okay.
Couple of things:
* There was another person in the room together with the IO. I'm guessing FO is under audit or smth. Anyway, both officers were nice and pleasant.
* IO was surprised that I didn't receive my appointment letter(only my wife did, I'm the primary applicant); he has actually shown me a copy of IL that they were supposed to send out, so either the person that was mailing or the post office messed up. Anyway, that was not a problem.
* First issue was that we did not fill out I-134 Affidavit for Support form for my wife. Perhaps I misunderstood the guidelines in the spreadsheet, but I thought that I do not need that form because I am employed and my wife doesn't need it because she's derivative of my application. IO printed out the form and I filled it there. If that's something new - may be a good amendment to the guidelines in the spreadsheet.
* Second issue was that the doctor did not sign one of the I-693 forms. IO offered us to go get the signature and bring back the document ourselves(he notified guards that we'll come back). If we were to mail the document back he said he would have to issue an RFE.
* Third issue is interesting.
He said he could not get some file on me. Asked if I had any pending applications with USCIS - my company has filed PERM and I-140(but not I-485) and he's saying that someone else is holding the file for that other application.
He said he would need to contact the person that's holding the file, explain the situation and get the file from them. He mentioned that it probably will take a while to get that file because of all the communication that needs to happen and that would probably be another officer working on our case because it will fall into the review queue.
If there was no issue with the file, he said he would have approved the application today.
When we came back with the signed letter - he said he now has all the information, but cannot do anything until that file is received.

Sm1smom, do you recall any issues from previous years when IO would not be able to access the file on the applicant? Specifically when there's a pending I-140 filed?

Congratulations on getting the interview part out of the way. Good to know they actually had an IL prepared in your name, even though you never did receive it, and just like I guessed you had no problem getting in based on your wife's letter alone.

Regarding the I-134 for your wife, the IO was simply being over zealous. It's not a new requirement, you did not misunderstand the spreadsheet either. The fact that your wife is your derivative and you have an income which covers both of you makes the I-134 for her moot. She's not even the main applicant, but even if she was, the fact that you're processing AOS together makes the requirement irrelevant especially if you have a joint banking account, (same thigh even if you don't have a joint account).

Yeah, the situation regarding your PERM and I-140 is not unusual. Whenever there's some other kind of pending petition, the standard practice is to request the file(s) from the other department(s) handling them and merge those together before a final approval is given for the AOS petition. The good news is your interview is already out of the way and we're just 3 months into your applicable FY. The not so pleasant news is you might be looking at waiting for a couple of months before you get approved. Getting a file from one department to another can be quite a pain.